PDA

View Full Version : Boston Hills NY BBQ Competition

sunline1
12-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Boston Ny has a BBQ comp comming up in june (2010).

Anyone been there, give me any info ? I would just want to be a visitor, I have relatives in the area and would like to visit them as well as the event.

Any info apppreciated.

Thanks

Sunline1

HoDeDo
12-13-2009, 09:09 PM
They have a great BBQ contest, and a NEBS grilling event. You should take part in one. They really bend over backwards for the cooks out there. Cooks put together a potluck in thier shelter on Friday night, they provide Pizza for Dinner Sat. night.... and give you beer tent wristbands for the weekend. The trophies are really cool too.
If you are just visiting, they have lots of vendors, and a carnival for the kids.

And they drew teams from all over last year... Boston, MA area, guys from PA, All over NY, and Chicagoland folks, as well as some team from Kansas City.

Great event. I think the KC team is making the 16+ hour drive to cook it again...:twisted:

Diva Q
12-14-2009, 06:58 AM
We had a blast at this contest last year and it was the first time I met Andy & Kim and their terrific family. Great comp. Wonderfully organized a very cooker friendly competition. I plan on us going back this year.

Heres the blog I wrote about it.
http://divaqbbq.blogspot.com/2009/07/hot-sticky-humid-crap-bark-but-karma-is.html

sunline1
12-14-2009, 07:32 AM
HoDeDO & Devia Q

Sounds Good. Thanks for the info.

My nephew has 2 kids that will enjoy the carnival.

Sounds like a great "First" BBQ cookoff for me to visit. Will I be able to interact (ask questions),at all with the competitors ? Or is that not encouraged ? I can probably pickup some valuable info just watching some.

Sunline1

Skip
12-14-2009, 08:06 AM
As long as you see a Brethren banner you are welcome. BBQ people are real friendly folks anyway and since you belong to this site you have a one up on the general public. Make sure you stop by Swamp Pit BBQ we'll welcome you in. Now if you want to learn something you'll have to check out another site. We suck lol. But if good company and some good spirits is your thing we'll be your best stop. Hahaha. Also you can drop the family off and come back for the night shift.

Here is what you have to be mindful of. Saturday and sunday between 11 am and 2 pm is real hectic time. Would be best to just watch because this is crunch time. Best bet is to get in early and warm up to a Brethren so that you are already on site when crunch time starts. At least then you know you are welcome to be there.

As for the contest. I can't say enough. The organizer bent over backwards to make the event as cooker friendly as it could be. Any team there will tell you that it was probably the nicest event to compete in all year. It doesn't stop with the cooks either. The general public had a super event to attend with something for everyone.

If this is going to be the first event you attend you'll definitely be hooked. Let me know if you want to be a pit beotch. We welcome anyone willing to work....and those willing to have some good conversation too.

goodsmokebbq
12-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Ditto everyone else!

ique
12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
As long as you see a Brethren banner you are welcome. BBQ people are real friendly folks anyway and since you belong to this site you have a one up on the general public. Make sure you stop by Swamp Pit BBQ we'll welcome you in.

I hope to be there too. You are welcome to swing by the I-Que camp but be advised... we swear a lot and talk serious smack. :-P

WannaBeBBQueen
12-14-2009, 08:27 AM
come join the party!! Great contest!

Scottie
12-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I hope to be there too. You are welcome to swing by the I-Que camp but be advised... we swear a lot and talk serious smack. :-P

Ummm.... You forgot the part about you also having real good beer. If you need help with dropping plugs, let me know. I've had some great interview opportunities to drop Cookshack at a moments notice. Never know when BBQr's Delight and Smokin' Guns might slip out as well. Did you know that Fab and Blues Hog makes everything better? Nice job on the Hawgeyes sale! ;)

The Giggler
12-14-2009, 08:50 AM
HoDeDO & Devia Q

Sounds Good. Thanks for the info.

My nephew has 2 kids that will enjoy the carnival.

Sounds like a great "First" BBQ cookoff for me to visit. Will I be able to interact (ask questions),at all with the competitors ? Or is that not encouraged ? I can probably pickup some valuable info just watching some.

Sunline1

Thanks for your interest. Feel free to visit: www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com (http://www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com) for details. We're in the planning stages now, so check back often for updates.

Like any BBQ contest, you are free to walk around and check out the teams and their rigs. When interacting, I would respectfully suggest that you do so when teams are not doing their turn ins. Its crunch time, and they are focusing on the task at hand. Once the dust settles, I'm certain you'll encounter some right friendly folks.

Looking forward to seeing you in June!

sunline1
12-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the invites/info/etc.

I'l get in early and mosey around.

Will there be any Qing going on friday ? I assume saturday morning early would be a good time. will I be able to get in there say 6-6:30 AM saturday ? I assume you have to pay to get it, can you buy a pass good for the weekend ?

I could come in early and have the family come later.

Sunline1

Skip
12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the invites/info/etc.

I'l get in early and mosey around.

Will there be any Qing going on friday ? I assume saturday morning early would be a good time. will I be able to get in there say 6-6:30 AM saturday ? I assume you have to pay to get it, can you buy a pass good for the weekend ?

I could come in early and have the family come later.

Sunline1

Friday is set up time. You won't see much cooking unless its for personal consumption. Its a good time to mingle though.

Sledneck
12-14-2009, 10:30 AM
wish i owned an airplane, to damn far

Skip
12-14-2009, 10:43 AM

I thought you retired? :lol:

Diva Q
12-14-2009, 11:41 AM

Far??

The Anchorman
12-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Sledneck you are retired also?
Welcome to the ranks of the retired!

Sledneck
12-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Sledneck you are retired also?
Welcome to the ranks of the retired!
semi retired, only doing new holland next year . Looking for work as a pit beotch otherwise

HoDeDo
12-14-2009, 10:13 PM
semi retired, only doing new holland next year . Looking for work as a pit beotch otherwise

Pit Beotch? I though you were Terlit control, and Splat -master, occasional box beoytch.... Sean was the pit beotch.... don't you read the shirts :rolleyes::eusa_clap (had to practice/master "stiring the pellets" until the BWS "fatgirl" got her younger hotter sister this fall)

My NY season will start in Roc City, though.... so if you are whining about travel to Boston, are you not gonna come out there either? :twisted:

Since when has the amazing spiderman ever needed a plane...

Skip
12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
Pit Beotch? I though you were Terlit control, and Splat -master, occasional box beoytch.... Sean was the pit beotch.... don't you read the shirts :rolleyes::eusa_clap (had to practice/master "stiring the pellets" until the BWS "fatgirl" got her younger hotter sister this fall)

My NY season will start in Roc City, though.... so if you are whining about travel to Boston, are you not gonna come out there either? :twisted:

Since when has the amazing spiderman ever needed a plane...

We'll kidnap him and throw him in the trailer on the way up.

HoDeDo
12-14-2009, 10:33 PM
We'll kidnap him and throw him in the trailer on the way up.

I was just going to mention that he should just sleep in your rig on the way up.... to avoid JET LAG. :-P

Cue's Your Daddy
12-15-2009, 07:11 AM
http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/spiderman3.jpg
Sled will just take the train up...No Problem