PDA

View Full Version : Dead last prize.

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Just thinking what if a sponsor gave a prize to the team that finished dead last. If it were to be given in the spirit of helping said team to be better next time out and would consist of items like rubs, sauces or a cookbook, would you be offended. Has this been done before?
Dave

Jeff Hughes
12-12-2009, 12:29 PM
It seems to me DAL is usually the result of a DQ, a missed turn in, or just not understanding how comp cooking works(like Pablo Diablo)...

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 12:55 PM
It seems to me DAL is usually the result of a DQ, a missed turn in, or just not understanding how comp cooking works(like Pablo Diablo)...

Yes it can be a DQ so maybe a cookbook about competition cooking would be helpful or a clock/timer. But there are plenty of DAL due to people just not being up to snuff when it comes to cooking bbq. So back to my question do you think people would be offended or overly embarrassed if given some kind of prize?
Dave

txschutte
12-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Personally, I would not want to do a walk of shame to the podium for a DAL Award.

Alexa RnQ
12-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Personally, I would not want to do a walk of shame to the podium for a DAL Award.
That. I would cherish the bragging rights later, but in my own time and on my own terms.

BBQ Grail
12-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Why?

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 03:18 PM
That. I would cherish the bragging rights later, but in my own time and on my own terms.

I thought about that also and thought maybe it could be delivered after the awards by that time everyone has the score sheets and would know anyway. It would only be announced at the end of the awards that someone would be awarded this prize no names.
Dave

landarc
12-12-2009, 03:28 PM
The only way I can see that I would want something like this is if it was a chance to sit down with the winners for an hour and listen to what they do. I am a big boy, I can accept losing, I don't need a prize to feel better about it.

BBQ Grail
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
If I'm DQ'd or my turn-ins suck so bad I'm last I don't want to be recognized.

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=BBQ Grail;1110961]Why?[/QUOTE

Guess I just thought it would be a nice gesture from the bbq community to give a helping hand and encourage the team to stay at it. But it would have to be stressed that it in no way would be a slam on the team. Could be its just is not meant to be.

It was just a random thought I had at a very slow night at work, my mind does tend to wonder into some uncharted territory at times like that. :wink:
Dave

Sledneck
12-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I would rather see and award to the highest placing 1st time team

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I would rather see and award to the highest placing 1st time team

Well thats a thought, but I don't think you could make a 1st timer any happier than they would already be. But I guess it could be announced they are a new first time team.
Dave

Smoke'n Ice
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
Why not have one of the teams designated as a go to team and, along with the reps, sit down and talk with the DAL, if the DAL Team wants too, about the reasons and the process. Make it a learning experience.

Mack
and yes, I would volunteer if asked unless I'm DAL.

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Why not have one of the teams designated as a go to team and, along with the reps, sit down and talk with the DAL, if the DAL Team wants too, about the reasons and the process. Make it a learning experience.

Mack
and yes, I would volunteer if asked unless I'm DAL.

Don't know if the a rep would need to sit down with the group but one or more of the winning teams could. It could be helpful it the DAL team brought some samples of the food for everyone to taste and comment on. This would may even get more helpful comments and suggestions then the comment cards. Only trouble I see is everyone is dog tired and just want to pack up and get on the road.
Dave

PigBoy
12-12-2009, 07:52 PM
At the BarbeQlossal in Des Moines, they put all the teams that didn't get a call in a hat and draw one out. That team wins a Horizon smoker. Pretty cool. Could be embarrassing I guess, but quite a participation prize!

smokeshowin
12-12-2009, 08:21 PM
We give a DAL at every contest that we run. We have given a small wally world grill filled with a bbq cookbook and other bbq related items.
The DAL is given to the lowest scoring team with all four catagories. It has been well recived at events. We have not had one team get mad at awards.

Mo-Dave
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
We give a DAL at every contest that we run. We have given a small wally world grill filled with a bbq cookbook and other bbq related items.
The DAL is given to the lowest scoring team with all four catagories. It has been well recived at events. We have not had one team get mad at awards.

Thats what I am talking about.
Dave

drbbq
12-13-2009, 06:01 AM
Tryon has been doing it for years. They even have a special "Tail of the pig" plaque, or at least they used to.

At Lynn Bruce's contest in Missouri I saw him giving a Paul Kirk book to DAL and Paul almost won it himself.

MilitantSquatter
12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
At Lynn Bruce's contest in Missouri I saw him giving a Paul Kirk book to DAL and Paul almost won it himself.

That's funny !!! :lol:

bam
12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Mo-Dave you get dal no celebration no prizes.

Mo-Dave
12-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Mo-Dave you get dal no celebration no prizes.

You my friend have an exceptionally low level of Esprit de corps.:tongue:
Dave

azkitch
12-14-2009, 12:05 AM
[QUOTE=BBQ Grail;1110961]Why?[/QUOTE

Guess I just thought it would be a nice gesture from the bbq community to give a helping hand and encourage the team to stay at it. But it would have to be stressed that it in no way would be a slam on the team. Could be its just is not meant to be.

It was just a random thought I had at a very slow night at work, my mind does tend to wonder into some uncharted territory at times like that. :wink:
Dave

I think that has something to do with the name, myself...
Dave.