PDA

View Full Version : ? about blue bottles on pitmasters

trekmstr
12-12-2009, 09:29 AM
i have seen blue bottels on pitmasters and someone called it butter. i was at the grocery store this morning and saw the blue bottles of parkay sqweez butter (veg oil) . what are they being used for? basting sauce? injection?:?:

KC_Bobby
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Lots of teams use it for basting ribs, some use it as part of their pork baste, some might even use it to cook chicken in a half pan as a substitute for butter.

I use it on bisquets for breakfast

chromesporty
12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
To make the brown sugar stick to the ribs.

Jeff_in_KC
12-12-2009, 09:40 AM
I use it to help clog my arteries and increase my cholesterol.

Finney
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I clean my pit with it! :biggrin:

No, wait a minute... That's Greased Lightning. :roll:
I always get those two confused. :oops:

Ford
12-12-2009, 10:50 AM
the very first BBQ series on TLC in 2005 or 2006 outed Johnny and his blue bottles. Unitl then it was only known by those that payed attention at contests and watched Johnny or Mike Davis in the morning hours. Of course you missed a lot of what they did in their motorhomes.

Then Mike and Debbie did a class and the rest is history. There's lots of posts over the years and if you do enough searching on different boards you'll get some pointers.

I personally use about 6 bottles at a contest. And I also use ICBINB spray in my big spray bottle for basting while cooking. Spray is more liquid that squeeze.

Captain Caveman
12-12-2009, 11:22 AM
i have seen blue bottels on pitmasters and someone called it butter. i was at the grocery store this morning and saw the blue bottles of parkay sqweez butter (veg oil) . what are they being used for? basting sauce? injection?:?:

Maybe it's so the chicken doesn't stick to the cupcake pans.:biggrin:

Plowboy
12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
the very first BBQ series on TLC in 2005 or 2006 outed Johnny and his blue bottles. Unitl then it was only known by those that payed attention at contests and watched Johnny or Mike Davis in the morning hours. Of course you missed a lot of what they did in their motorhomes.

Then Mike and Debbie did a class and the rest is history. There's lots of posts over the years and if you do enough searching on different boards you'll get some pointers.

I personally use about 6 bottles at a contest. And I also use ICBINB spray in my big spray bottle for basting while cooking. Spray is more liquid that squeeze.

You use SIX bottles? Holy crap!!

That's six more than I use. I'm not a fan of the margarine technique. Tastes like plastic to me.

Bbq Bubba
12-12-2009, 12:33 PM

That's six more than I use. I'm not a fan of the margarine technique. Tastes like plastic to me.

I agree!

Unfortunately Ford has all the judges trained in Mi. to like it that way! :twisted:

Pig Headed
12-12-2009, 01:37 PM

Supposedly, it's only one or two production steps from being plastic. I don't remember where, but I did read that somwhere.

BBQ Grail
12-12-2009, 02:10 PM
It's always nice to have margarine on your chicken muffins...

Plowboy
12-12-2009, 02:23 PM
Supposedly, it's only one or two production steps from being plastic. I don't remember where, but I did read that somwhere.

It works. Ford's a good chicken cook.

BBQ Grail
12-12-2009, 02:24 PM
If winning chicken uses Parkay? What does 13th Place Chicken use?

Plowboy
12-12-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm more of an Imperial man, myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2Ia0z-WnM

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-12-2009, 03:16 PM
I have known about this technique for a while now and never tried it, until today...getting ready to put it on as I type..I will report back. Trust me my chicken can use some help..

Sal

Chuckwagonbbqco
12-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Everything is better with Bluebonnet on it

This Is How We Que It
12-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I make my own butter for competitions using the fat from chicken.

Smokin' Joe
12-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I've got the parkay thing figured out, but along those same lines what the heck was the white powder(looked almost like powdered sugar) that they showed being sprinkled on the underside of ribs that looked like they were about done?

DMDon
12-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I've got the parkay thing figured out, but along those same lines what the heck was the white powder(looked almost like powdered sugar) that they showed being sprinkled on the underside of ribs that looked like they were about done?

we use crushed up sweet tarts to give our ribs some zing

This Is How We Que It
12-12-2009, 04:26 PM
They were trying to make their BBQ sweet. They said the judges were different then they were in Cali. They like it sweet here.

KC_Bobby
12-12-2009, 04:58 PM

So that's the secret you've been hiding from me. You add that when I'm running chicken in?

Smokin' Joe
12-12-2009, 05:12 PM
They were trying to make their BBQ sweet. They said the judges were different then they were in Cali. They like it sweet here.

Sweet is one thing but a 1/2" of sugar caked on taking it to a new level:eek::wink:

Smokin' Joe
12-12-2009, 05:14 PM

The secret to winning the Royal is SweetTarts...pass it on:mrgreen:

monty3777
12-12-2009, 06:31 PM

I was guessing it was onion or garlic powder. I do that for the stuff I eat around the house. If that's sugar....wow:eek:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-12-2009, 06:44 PM
I must have done the butter bath wrong (sorry no pics) brined, rubed and butter bathed. turned out pretty good. It was moist and tender and the skin was spot on, I did pull it from the bath and finished on the OTG. I didnt get any plastic taste, go figure..next week muffin tins!

Ford
12-12-2009, 07:02 PM
powdered honey probably. It's mentioned on one of the other threads in Q-talk.

Ford
12-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I was guessing it was onion or garlic powder. I do that for the stuff I eat around the house. If that's sugar....wow:eek:
When wrapping ribs I use about a lb of brown sugar per slab (give or take a bit). But don't worry, I balance it with liquid honey. And of course there's the magic blue bottle. When it comes out of the foil 2 hours later you swear the ribs are falling apart but they firm up in 2 minutes. Maybe it's the carmel really firming up:biggrin: Then of course it's time to sauce with a nice spicy sauce mixed with you guessed it honey!

Like Johnny said I don't like the taste of my ribs. Way to sweet and spicy but you're not cooking for eating but for judges that take one bite.:icon_bugeyed:icon_shock1::oops:

Plowboy
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM

I prefer Smartees.

monty3777
12-12-2009, 07:39 PM
When wrapping ribs I use about a lb of brown sugar per slab (give or take a bit). But don't worry, I balance it with liquid honey. And of course there's the magic blue bottle. When it comes out of the foil 2 hours later you swear the ribs are falling apart but they firm up in 2 minutes. Maybe it's the carmel really firming up:biggrin: Then of course it's time to sauce with a nice spicy sauce mixed with you guessed it honey!

Like Johnny said I don't like the taste of my ribs. Way to sweet and spicy but you're not cooking for eating but for judges that take one bite.:icon_bugeyed:icon_shock1::oops:

I use brown sugar at comps as well. Then I cook as you do. Then glaze with sauce. What shocked me was that it appeared they were adding the powder after the ribs had already been glazed - as though they were adding the powder then ANOTHER layer of sauce. Enough to make a guy puke!

Sledneck
12-12-2009, 09:30 PM
The interesting thing about 13th place chicken is that that all of them were different methods, sauces, rubs, pan liquids etc. The last 13th place I received (battle of the brethren 2008) just so happened to be using the Blue Bottle.

MilitantSquatter
12-12-2009, 09:36 PM
The interesting thing about 13th place chicken is that that all of them were different methods, sauces, rubs, pan liquids etc. The last 13th place I received (battle of the brethren 2008) just so happened to be using the Blue Bottle.

Only time I saw you use it, I recall a few bottles. I think I you were pushing 300g of fat in that chicken bath !!!

Sledneck
12-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Only time I saw you use it, I recall a few bottles. I think I you were pushing 300g of fat in that chicken bath !!!
More than that, (1) blue bottle is 1,680 calories and 192g of fat:eek:

barbefunkoramaque
12-12-2009, 10:30 PM

I like you more and more the more I shutup and read you Ford and now I fingered it out why.

I really liked your other Michigan Brother William Wall. He was such a no frills guy. Well when he wasn;t panderin his sauce and rubs but you gotta pay the bills right.

Anyway, he gave me some encouragement a while back when I was on the Other site and just before I got kicked out of it for my videos and my "funkspeak." Anyway, he was so nice. He is the only thing I ever missed from leaving there and coming over here. I thought it odd he never was here too. Anyway, you cut through the chit in that nice seasoned friend that went to school with your old man kinda way.

I miss my Dad, who died in 1995 and Billy Bones too. You seem like the same kind of people Ford.

Ford
12-13-2009, 07:21 AM
More than that, (1) blue bottle is 1,680 calories and 192g of fat:eek:
First off probably 90% of the fat and calories stays in the foil. But it doesn't matter because there are at least 5 bites to a rib and 13 bones in a slab so that 65 bites so each bite is only 2.95g of fat and 25.8g of fat. And I only want the judge to eat 1 or 2 bites max.

Remember we're talking competition not home eating.

Sledneck
12-13-2009, 09:10 AM
Blue bottle gos on ribs as well? I have only tried it on chix

BBQ Grail
12-13-2009, 09:22 AM
First off probably 90% of the fat and calories stays in the foil. But it doesn't matter because there are at least 5 bites to a rib and 13 bones in a slab so that 65 bites so each bite is only 2.95g of fat and 25.8g of fat. And I only want the judge to eat 1 or 2 bites max.

Remember we're talking competition not home eating.

Welcome to BBQ Math and Science class. Don't you just love it?

txschutte
12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
The only blue bottles on my BBQ is Maalox.

ThomEmery
12-13-2009, 09:53 AM

Are you using the bottle on the contents of the blue bottle?

MilitantSquatter
12-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Blue bottle gos on ribs as well? I have only tried it on chix

never tried the parkay on ribs but have done sliced pats of butter a number of times in the foil.

Since your such an active outdoor cook, Maybe you should try an individual rib butter bath and post your pics and findings in Q-Talk. :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
12-13-2009, 09:59 AM
never tried the parkay on ribs but have done sliced pats of butter a number of times in the foil.

Since your such an active outdoor cook, Maybe you should try a butter bath and post your pics and findings in Q-Talk. :biggrin:

Sled taking a bath in butter would not do well in Q-talk. :lol:

Ron_L
12-13-2009, 10:16 AM

No pics. PLEASE? I don't care if it happened or not!

:-D

TN_BBQ
12-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Maybe it's so the chicken doesn't stick to the cupcake pans.:biggrin:

That's a lot closer to the truth than you might think.
Lots of teams cook their chicken in pans w/butter (or margarine). Apparently Myron uses muffin pans and on next week's show he's taking issue with other teams "stealing" his secret.

Everybody knows there aren't any "secrets" in BBQ. There are simply techniques that you don't know that others already know (say that fast 3 times).

Also, the sauce for my ribs comes out of a ketchup bottle (OMG! gasp).

Sledneck
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Have yet to take a bath in butter but I can post a pic the next to I cover myself head to to toe in this stuff, makes me feel silky smooth

Cigarbque
12-13-2009, 02:06 PM
^^^^^^ yikes!

Merl
12-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Its time to tell the truth!
Just like George Washington, I cannot tell a lie.
The blue bottles in Johnny's ice chest when I did his meat inspection, was actually blue bottles with frozen water to keep his ice frozen. We just thought it would be fun to play with the audience by asking Johnny what he did with those blue bottles. That is why he answered:
Merl, if I told you I would have to shoot you.

Now you know. Its just blue ice.

Or at least that is what Johnny told me.
Merl

Brauma
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
To quote Marlin Brando in Last Tango, "Get the butta".

musicmanryann
12-13-2009, 11:29 PM
The blue bottles in Johnny's ice chest when I did his meat inspection, was actually blue bottles with frozen water to keep his ice frozen. We just thought it would be fun to play with the audience by asking Johnny what he did with those blue bottles. That is why he answered:

Merl

Now that is some funny chit right there!:lol:

Divemaster
12-14-2009, 09:33 AM

Merl
As in Airplane 'Blue Ice':eek::eek::eek::eek:

TN_BBQ
12-14-2009, 11:58 AM

Merl

I sorta believe that. I also sorta believe Myron when he started his smoker with a half gallon of lighter fluid.

FWIW...when we go camping I do make my own ice chunks. Big blocks of ice stay frozen longer and are easy to make (we usually just freeze water bottles which also serve as ice-cold drinking water).

HumboldtSmokeBBQ
12-14-2009, 12:33 PM

that is funny!

landarc
12-14-2009, 12:39 PM
So it is the vodka then?

Bogus Chezz Hawg
12-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Everything's better with butter! :smile:

HawgHeaven
12-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Does your rib meat fall from the bone?
It's easy to keep your meat in tone.
Grab the blue bottle and give it a squeeze,