PDA

View Full Version : Question(s) regarding the blue gloves you see many competitors wearing

Lake Dogs
12-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Are they better than the el-cheapo Wallyworld latex gloves?

If so, source (online)? For me, on box of 100 will get me through
a season and into the 2nd season...

Skip
12-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I believe you are talking about nitrile gloves

Jeff_in_KC
12-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I buy a two-box package (100 each box) of nitrile gloves at Sam's Club for around $11 I believe.

Lake Dogs
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks, we have a Sams. Are they better? Stronger? go on / come off easier?

Just wondering. Not thrilled with el-cheapo wallyworld latex gloves...

Plowboy
12-10-2009, 12:26 PM

They are good gloves. You find them in the pharmacy section. FYI - The Costco gloves suck.

They also have little "nubbins" on the finger tips for gripping.

Candy Sue
12-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Are they better than the el-cheapo Wallyworld latex gloves?

If so, source (online)? For me, on box of 100 will get me through
a season and into the 2nd season...

I am amazed!! I go thru half a box of gloves at every contest, but I wear gloves to do everything and I change them frequently (obviously!).

Skip
12-10-2009, 12:45 PM

I think they are good for those with latex allergies too.

I am amazed!! I go thru half a box of gloves at every contest, but I wear gloves to do everything and I change them frequently (obviously!).

My team goes through a box a comp.

Arlin_MacRae
12-10-2009, 01:36 PM
I buy nitrile's at Wally World. They're purple, but they're cheap and work well. No little finger nubbie things, though. :-)

Jeff_in_KC
12-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I buy nitrile's at Wally World. They're purple, but they're cheap and work well. No little finger nubbie things, though. :-)

I used to as well, Arlin, but I think those are 40 gloves per box for something like $6 if I recall correctly. Sam's Club gloves are a MUCH better deal.

Lake Dogs
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM

for me, 3 or 4 bbq comps per hear, i'm the only one handling meat
until turn-in, then there's 2 of us... plus, I wash, ALOT. I go through
about 12 gallons of water, and that's trying to conserve.

CivilWarBBQ
12-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Nitrile gloves come in a variety of colors. The ones they sell at Sams change hue from time to time as they seem to go with whatever manufacturer provides the low bid. The box looks the same, but the gloves might be white, blue, ivory or even purple.

WineMaster
12-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Wallys are ok if you have little girl hands. Check U-Line for thier gloves. Got the XL lime green ones and they go on and off like a charm.

Dan

smoke showin'
12-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I just use my old gloves from that's ok right ?

Smokin' Joe
12-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I buy a two-box package (100 each box) of nitrile gloves at Sam's Club for around $11 I believe.

Same here, and they come in MAN size to fit my hands:wink:

Arlin_MacRae
12-10-2009, 05:00 PM
That's what I'll do when I buy my next box. Tanks, Jeff!

widespread
12-10-2009, 05:12 PM
I buy the XL nitriles through Cintas, our uniform service at work. A case of 10 boxes usually runs $75-80.

Solidkick
12-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Someone needs to tell Spicediddy that....he's become fond of the "nubbins" for other uses.....:rolleyes:

txschutte
12-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Someone needs to tell Spicediddy that....he's become fond of the "nubbins" for other uses.....:rolleyes:
Mental Floss, please!!

Alexa RnQ
12-10-2009, 06:01 PM
FYI - The Costco gloves suck.
As do their new foil full pans. But that's another rant...

I gave up on the gloves and got black nitriles for VQ, and orange ones for me.

Scottie
12-10-2009, 06:25 PM

I went through almost 2 cases of gloves this year.. Probably over 32 boxes....

Stoke&Smoke
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Same here, and they come in MAN size to fit my hands:wink:

Ditto, by us they (Sams) have them in medium and large sizes. I like the Nitriles for a couple reasons. First is, you never know when you might develop a latex allergy, and in the middle of a comp would be a bad time to disccover it. Second, they don't have powder that gets all over everything:x

Sure, they cost a little more than latex, but at about 5 or 6 cents each, I think I can afford 'em

Timmy
12-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Uhmmm. Ok, I bought vinyl powder free gloves from RD. Whats your thoughts on these?

jclearman
12-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Wine Master: Thanks for the U Line tip. The XL gloves are great!

chopshop
12-11-2009, 03:31 PM
why buy nitrile? they are the same gloves other than they resist solvents. unless you are allergic to latex there is no reason not to buy them

Learnin Querve
12-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Harbor Freight also carries powder free nitrile gloves. Box of 100 extra large size runs $12.99. If you're on their mailing list, they frequently run them on sale.

Chris

This Is How We Que It
12-13-2009, 09:11 AM
We're suppose to use gloves?! :)

Alexa RnQ
12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
why buy nitrile? they are the same gloves other than they resist solvents. unless you are allergic to latex there is no reason not to buy them
Which brings up a related question.

We have actually had someone come up to us during People's Choice (vending) and ask us if they gloves we were using were latex. Now I have NO idea whatsoever -- if a customer WERE allergic to latex, and we'd touched their food with it, is there any significant risk of transfer???

ETA: And, apparently, Google is my friend:
Don't touch any foods with latex gloves. Latex proteins from gloves easily transfer and readily adhere to foods. When the food is ingested, the presence of latex protein can quickly be absorbed and can cause sensitization or reactions. If you have an outside food service, make sure your contract specifies that no latex is used. Polyethylene gloves are a lower-cost alternative for food handling. The 1997 NIOSH Alert states that latex gloves should not be used in food service.

And there you go. Coming in to food service informally as we did, I had no idea. We have just always used nitrile, or the food-service flimsy gloves, because that was what we happened to buy.

Lake Dogs
12-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Which brings up a related question.

We have actually had someone come up to us during People's Choice (vending) and ask us if they gloves we were using were latex. Now I have NO idea whatsoever -- if a customer WERE allergic to latex, and we'd touched their food with it, is there any significant risk of transfer???

ETA: And, apparently, Google is my friend:
Don't touch any foods with latex gloves. Latex proteins from gloves easily transfer and readily adhere to foods. When the food is ingested, the presence of latex protein can quickly be absorbed and can cause sensitization or reactions. If you have an outside food service, make sure your contract specifies that no latex is used. Polyethylene gloves are a lower-cost alternative for food handling. The 1997 NIOSH Alert states that latex gloves should not be used in food service.

And there you go. Coming in to food service informally as we did, I had no idea. We have just always used nitrile, or the food-service flimsy gloves, because that was what we happened to buy.

Ah hah! That's why to buy those darned things! Thanks Diva.

JD McGee
12-14-2009, 08:58 AM
They are good gloves. You find them in the pharmacy section. FYI - The Costco gloves suck.

All I use are the Costco gloves...never had a problem...:confused: I even use them in the back yard pickin' up dog doo...haven't had one break yet...:cool: