PDA

View Full Version : Most memorable competition moments of 2009...

GratefulSmoker
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
What are some of your most memorable moments at competitions this past year?

Scottie
12-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Stagecoach, CA. Sunday awards ceremony. The bbq community really showed their love for a loss of one of their own...

That will be with me for the rest of my life.

monty3777
12-09-2009, 07:59 PM
For me it was when Big T's won the GC at the BBQlossal. The look on Ryan's face was unbelievable, as was their fan club!

I would have loved to be at the Royal to see Boondoggle take the GC in the open division - but hearing about it was another highlight.

Then there was the guy across from us in Nevada who puked all over the front of himself while we were talking with him...

KC_Bobby
12-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Then there was the guy across from us in Nevada who puked all over the front of himself while we were talking with him...
this?

monty3777
12-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Holy crap - that's the guy! I'm laughing so hard I just woke the kids!

KC_Bobby
12-09-2009, 08:12 PM
then theirs this

monty3777
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
I gotta get off this thread or my wife is gonna kill me...

GratefulSmoker
12-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Holy crap, that's hilarious!!

Alexa RnQ
12-09-2009, 08:26 PM
The whole season had an awful lot to recommend it. We got to go back to a number of comps we really like, and went to some new ones we really liked too.

26 contests

7 GCs: Tempe AZ, Hesperia CA, the double GC (KCBS/IBCA) in one day at Stagecoach, Durango CO, Fairfield CA, Prescott AZ.

7 RGCs: Costa Mesa CA, Eagle CO, Vista CA, Fairfield CA, Salt Lake City UT, Lancaster CA, Tempe AZ.

And about the first minute of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwyR-HfsN0).

I'll undoubtedly think of more things along the way, but one of the first that springs to mind is the birth of the Legend of "One Sock".

Buster Dog BBQ
12-09-2009, 08:29 PM
this?
How did I miss that? You were next to us in Nevada. Oh, probably because I had an FEC and was in bed sleeping.

Buster Dog BBQ
12-09-2009, 08:29 PM
The whole season had an awful lot to recommend it. We got to go back to a number of comps we really like, and went to some new ones we really liked too.

26 contests

7 GCs: Tempe AZ, Hesperia CA, the double GC (KCBS/IBCA) in one day at Stagecoach, Durango CO, Fairfield CA, Prescott AZ.

7 RGCs: Costa Mesa CA, Eagle CO, Vista CA, Fairfield CA, Salt Lake City UT, Lancaster CA, Tempe AZ.

And about the first minute of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giwyR-HfsN0).

I'll undoubtedly think of more things along the way, but one of the first that springs to mind is the birth of the Legend of "One Sock".
Congrats on a most outstanding season.

Smokin' Joe
12-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Big T'z winning 3 in a row
Boondoggle and Plowboy wins at the Royal
A conversation with Walt and T of the Smokin Scottsman after the Royal invitational awards(it was quick but I won't forgot the feeling of pride we shared)
Getting a glimpse of the "big check" and figuring out that Buster Dog had won in South Dakota before the awards even started
Getting my 180 pin in Brisket in Albert Lea and dancing around like a school girl after

I could go on and on...its was a great year and I can't wait for 2010

The Giggler
12-09-2009, 09:14 PM
Here are my Top 3:

1. Taking first place in Brisket at the Jack
2. Winning Hudson Valley Ribfest. It was the first Grand Championship and State Championship for us all. And we did it together. As a result, we were lucky enough to get the NY State Home State Draw for the Jack.
3. Organizing a contest, and hosting a Great Field of Competitors

It was quite a year. We started out by forming a new team, and hitting the road. The road was not always smooth or kind, and we pressed on through the triumphs and challenges. We learned a lot along the way, and were fortunate to spend time with old and new friends. Hard to believe it went by so fast.

Just Pulin' Pork
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Bob those pics are hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

Jeff_in_KC
12-09-2009, 09:47 PM
For me, there were SO many great moments in 2009 related to barbeque...

Unveiling our whiskey barrel top grand prize at our contest we put on in Pleasant Hill.

Getting our first ever Ribs Championship in Richmond, MO (was the only category we'd never won).

Our 8 year old daughter getting 9th out of over 60 adults in the Wings contest at the GAB and getting to go up to get her ribbon. One of the organizers was sitting near me and looks over and says "Did she really cook them herself?" I proudly said "YEP!!!"

Our daughter winning both categories and getting a huge trophy for Grand Champion of the Kids Q at Sedalia, MO.

Getting a 1st in Chicken and a 2nd in Pork in the incredible field of championship teams at Great Bend, KS.

Getting to compete in the small town (Califoirnia, MO) where I grew up and seeing several classmates I hadn't seen since the end of 8th grade.

Getting to announce my candidacy for the BOD to many friends during a Friday night potluck at Harrisonville, MO.

The entire Blue Springs, MO contest.

Putting on a contest with my friends Jon and Clara Williams where I work as part of Senior Q Month.

Spending a weekend teaming up with Stan Hays, Lee Keith and Randy Robinett to cook a contest together even though we got it handed to us!

Getting to visit the Jack for the first time in my life. (now if only I could compete there someday...)

Dale P
12-09-2009, 10:19 PM
For me it was my son winning first place in both meats at an amatuer Rib & chicken contest and him being named GC. Against an all adult field. His rib recipe, but he stole my chicken recipe. He cooked & won but I still am in bragging mode. That is 2 amatuer contests he has done and has won them both.

Plowboy
12-09-2009, 10:53 PM
- 6 GC's in the same season
- Royal Invitational
- Winning Burlington, KS for the second year in a row and going 12 for 12 for category calls those two years
- Winning El Dorado, KS the week after Burlington
- Winning Blue Springs, MO with 1st in Ribs and 1st for Hometown team
- Winning Big Green Egg Scramble, 3rd in Hog and RGC at Qlossal after catering for 2300 people over three days and being so damned tired I almost went home before the contest started
- Winning Butt to Butt in IL while Andy was about 1000 miles in central KS away winning Chest to Chest followed by Randy getting RGC in MO.
-Andy and I winning People's Choice with pork that was about an hour away from being done.
- Winning Ribs at Pleasant Hill after running out of pellets and then turbo cooking the ribs not on one, but two different trash cans loaned by KC Can Crew and 4 Men and a Pig
- Getting 5th place chicken as my first category entry of the year and standing next to TheSlabs.com, Pellet Envy, Munchin Hogs, and 4 Legs Up as the top 5 in Chicken. In the midwest at least, chicken cooks don't get much better than that. I was proud to be breathing the same air as the self proclaimed worst chicken cook ever.
- Selling 10,000 lbs of rub in our third year and getting all of the PM's and emails from cooks all over the country that come on Sunday.
- Getting 61 category calls this year and placing top 8 in 19 of 22 contests.

By all measures, it was an unbelievable year.

Plowboy
12-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh, and I can't forget burning my chicken up with a grease fire at Washington, MO and getting called for 10th in chicken.

Jeff_in_KC
12-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Todd, this was truly an amazing year for you! Congrats, buddy! However, you forgot about losing your drawers at Blue Springs! LOL!

Plowboy
12-09-2009, 11:07 PM
Todd, this was truly an amazing year for you! Congrats, buddy! However, you forgot about losing your drawers at Blue Springs! LOL!

Hee, hee.

pigmaker23
12-10-2009, 05:23 AM
I dont know what road you were on, maybe you need a new car .. lol

Here are my Top 3:

1. Taking first place in Brisket at the Jack
2. Winning Hudson Valley Ribfest. It was the first Grand Championship and State Championship for us all. And we did it together. As a result, we were lucky enough to get the NY State Home State Draw for the Jack.
3. Organizing a contest, and hosting a Great Field of Competitors

It was quite a year. We started out by forming a new team, and hitting the road. The road was not always smooth or kind, and we pressed on through the triumphs and challenges. We learned a lot along the way, and were fortunate to spend time with old and new friends. Hard to believe it went by so fast.

BBQ_Mayor
12-10-2009, 07:09 AM
Lets see!?.. I would first need to say the formation of our team Smokehouse 72, from then on it goes like this.

- Seeing Rick (Cookie) get his first ever 1st place call on his 50th birthday in M'town.
- Getting Reserve GC in the Northern Missouri Championship
- Seeing Big T'z get his first GC and becoming good friend with them.
- Plowboys and Boondoggle getting their GC's at the Royal
- going to our first Royal

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-10-2009, 07:11 AM
My favorite memories of 2009 was getting our very first RGC and GC in KCBS competition. It was an interesting 22 Days. Dan Hixon of 3-Eyz and I combined forces to get ready for DegaQue. Started with Que by the Sea, NJ, we took RGC (missed by .0002), 5 days later took the GC at Front Royal, VA, then followed that up with a GC at Smoketoberfest, Chambersburg, PA, while Dan takes RGC at Dover the same weekend.

Ended the season with a 7th overall at DegaQue. I have met more great people and consider them all as my friends and extended family. Looking forward to the upcoming season, would like to start Jan/Feb, but nothing up this way. Cold weather cookin is not a problem, its like golf, anyone can play in the fairway, but it takes some skill to play in the rough!

Diva Q
12-10-2009, 07:18 AM
We had a great year of travelling. It was the most traveling in one year we have done and we plan on doing even more so this year.
Highlights for me from the year
Flying into Arkansas- Holy cow coldest I have been to in a long time. Glad to see friends. Getting a 19th call in chicken and being proud of it due to the level of competitors there.
Flying out to Saskatoon Saskatchewan (doing the comp solo) getting RGC and 1st in Pork 1st in anything Butt
Flying out to Calgary Alberta and in the heart of Beef country getting a 1st in Brisket
THe trip to Virginia was so special for us having the girls with us. Getting a 180 in anything Butt and then coming in 4th overall going up against some incredibly talented teams was great.
Getting another 180 in dessert at Oinktoberfest was really fun.
Travelling to Hudson Valley and taking a 1st in Pork was awesome. Andy. You rock. Thanks for the help. I will never forget it ever.
A favorite comp moment would have been winning the GC at the Southern Canadian BBQ Championships taking a 1st in pork again and a 1st in anything butt was beyond special as it gave me an Invite to the 2010 American Royal.. A dream for sure. Those are the special awards moments. I love to win. I am proud of the fact we are now ranked 241 out of 4700+ competitors on the pickled pig forums. Not bad for a Canadian team who only did 7 comps that counted towards that. We made great strides this year in improving and will continue to do so.
Truly though the moments that I cherish are all about the friends.
Driving down last minute to the Jack to see and cheer for our friends was priceless. I am so glad we did. Sitting there afterwards with the Twyfords and Smokey D's was great. Hanging out in Texas with Joey, Chris, Kelly, Dave, Rod, Amy Tommy, and so many more. Seeing my kids enjoying competitions was heartwarming. Additionally the way all of the competitors treated Lexi Ella and Gabe was incredible. They are beloved of you all. It was the true congratulations I received from friends when we did well and the encouragement and sincere feedback I received when we tanked something. It was the 2 am chats with friends and the early morning coffee chats. It was people like IQue, Smoke on Wheels and them Ohio City boys and many others who saved my ass on various occasions by giving me parsley when mine turned bad, or when I forgot my rub at home. Eating cevappacci made by a great guy heere was a highlight too! It was the parsley party with Kim and the talks with Gail. It was seeing Eric and Grace at his birthday, it was seeing Kelly and Roni and their amazing kids. Talking with Tuffy,Tommy and David and being mentored. It was seeing a young man Raymod Cato Jr take a prize at the best of the best kids Q. It was hanging out with teams from the Western provinces of Canada and knowing they were friends for life. It was the surprise calls to say hi and the emails that made me smile. It was being so proud of friends Giggling Pigs and Good Smoke BBQ for both taking the plunge and doing a fantastic job organizing their own comps.
It is being Canadian in an American field of BBQ experts, legends and legends in the making, and being welcomed sincerely wherever we went.
I could write so much more and mention so many more moments and friends. I know I am leaving so many more people out. Thats just the way it is. So many friends so little time. Competition BBQ is unlike anything out there. IT is better than anything out there.

The Giggler
12-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I dont know what road you were on, maybe you need a new car .. lol

Uhhh.... I guess maybe I was ghost riding when we were driving down 31st Brisket Lane in Lake Placid.... That road was awful. Of course it was no match for Hotel Rovier. :-P

SirPorkaLot
12-10-2009, 07:44 AM
I hate to even post in this thread filled with BBQ icons & champions, but I am proud of my singular accomplishment.

after years of being a legend in my own mind (and in my own backyard), I entered my first comp. ever this year.

I entered a field of 20 or so in the backyard division, and had no idea what i was getting into.
With my 13 year old son, two neighbors (who had even less of a clue than my son & i did), and very little idea of what the heck i was doing. I managed my first call & first walk, when we won 3rd place chicken in the Atlanta BBQ festival

After finding out later 1st & 2nd place was taken by professional Q'rs (they both were catering companies) i felt even more proud or our win.

Or course now i am hooked, and plan several more backyard events in 2010, and working towards the goal of forming a "real team" in the future.

indianagriller
12-10-2009, 07:47 AM
I would have to say, in my very first contest at the Madison Ribberfest backyard (43 teams) I took a first place walk in brisket, the butt kickin that DaleP's son put on me at the rib and chicken contest, and my Back to back walks in my hometown rib (2) and chicken (1).

Jacked UP BBQ
12-10-2009, 08:04 AM
TWO FIRSTS AT A COMP - RGC - GC - GC (DOVER DOWNS) all four in a row. Also our first place call for Ribs at Salisbury MD. First comp of the year.

SmokeInDaEye
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Being able to swing the trip to compete in the American Royal Invitational and feeling the true love of the Brethren when I had to put everything together after arriving with nothing.

Julie and Skip for letting me send a box down with them in their trailer, TheSlabs and Plowboy making sure I had rubs and sauce, Smokehouse72 for the kind use of their WSMs, Butchers for the injection hookup, Dammit Andy and Jorge for advice on buying meat, and, most of all, Dr. BBQ for letting me use his space and various equipment. Beyond cooking against all those fine folks, getting to meet so many new people (plus watch Todd win the Invitational) and relax and enjoy the Open was a once in a lifetime thrill for me, my brother and my dad.

BogsBBQ
12-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Two big things for me. Number one was getting my first ever call. First place in Pork in Maine, which was my second BBQ contest ever. Also having my parents join the team at the Harvard competition was great.

big blue bbq
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
We only got to do one comp this year in College Grove, TN. Finished 19 or 29, but got our first trophy for 4th in Pork and 6th in chicken. Hope to do twn next year. Finally have some sponsorship to help offset the costs.

Smokin Turkey
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Draggin' my 20' camper to Williepallooza (down the parkway and through Brooklyn) all while on the phone with Sled*Star getting directions,

Competing and not coming in DAL in ribs at RocCity Ribfest ,

Meeting all the great people on the road and having a beer/shot/? with the teams, (you guys!) and still remembering what happened.

Pulling all the compeditors out of the mud at Greenlane, PA and New Holland, PA only to have my trailer fall off outside town...

All the great locations and comp ideas that has given me the idea to put on my own comp next year.

Bones
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Getting 2 DAL in pork and then closing the season with a 6th place pork call at Lambs Farm in IL. I had to leave the contest before the awards to fly to Washington DC for work and missed the walk. Thanks to everyone that gave me suggetions on Pork.

Cooking in a parking lot that became an Island in Elk Grove IL.

Meeting Todd of Plowboys on thursday night at the Shannon IL contest and then getting him mixed up with another guy at the cooks meeting Friday night and he was two people away, that was embarrissing but I had been drinking all day. Then watching him win the Butt to Butt.

Finishing 13th, I think, at a first year contest with 15 teams and having a 4 hour drive home to think about it.

Ford
12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
It's kind of sad how many people talk about their wins and calls as the most memorable moment. For me having Carol back cooking with me at the U.P. was great. Being able to convinve Tom to cook with me at Nelsonville #2. Winning is great and I got my fair share of calls and money but the people are what's memorable.

HandsomeSwede
12-10-2009, 11:40 AM
First year competing in KCBS. Our first thrill was having TelTru sign on as a sponsor and hook our team members up with therms.

And what a comp our first one was, Roc City in our backyard, great venue, great organizers and with the exception of getting our butts kicked by just about everyone a great time.

Second ever comp was Boston Hills, had the privilege of setting up right next to The Giggler. Learned about the circuit from a seasoned pro, shared some baked goods and then got handed our 1st trophy by the Giggler with a 7th in chicken.

On to Troy where we actually had a decent effort in the People's Choice, hung with the guys from Good Smoke and got a chicken trimming lesson from The Giggler (many thanks to Mike for improving our Q). The chicken finished 27th there but my first foray into burnt ends resulted in 8th place brisket and we cracked the top 15 overall.

Can't wait until 2010.

Swinebuck
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Getting to go on stage at Memphis In May for belatted Hot Wings Championship.
Thanks
Mike

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
stealing golf carts and the women of Lo n' Slo and PA Midnite Smokers:wink:.Helping out S.I.D.E. in Greenlane. Watching George From WATG? finally win it all in Harrisburg Pa.

It was a fun year!

GratefulSmoker
12-10-2009, 12:42 PM
I guess since I started this thread I should at least mention my memorable moments...

Having my Wife and Daughter at almost every comp we did this year, it's amazing how even when I don't do as good as I would like, one smile from my Daughter puts it all in perspective!

Watching my close friend Darian of Kosmo's Q win his first GC at Ponca City and also win a new FEC as part of the prize.

I may not have been there to see another close friend of mine Stu of Stu's Q win his first GC in Claremore, but just hearing about it made my day!

It really wasn't a comp, but the Midwest Brethren Bash has to be a huge highlight for me this year. Getting to meet soooo many of the brethren from the Midwest area was a great experience.

I would also like to thank Scot of Little Pig Town and Jeff Hughes for all their positive comments and support. It was their motivation that got me involved and gave me the drive to compete and stick with it!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

Harbormaster
12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I only compete once a year.

Getting to see so many of the Brethren at a comp means a lot to me. It was especially nice to meet Walt and Theresa.

One highlight this year was making my brisket turn in with 3 seconds left on the clock, my good friend and assistant Derek chanting "We have to go, we have to go, we have to go!" and getting a call on it (7th, but it was a call!).

But just like last year, the biggest thrill for me was the rousing cheer I received from all of the Brethren and Sistren when I did get the call. There is a palpable sincerity when the folks from this forum cheer you, and it is evident on their faces that they are truly happy for you.

watertowerbbq
12-10-2009, 06:46 PM
I cooked for an Operation BBQ with Pat, Rookie 48 and Spanky and the Meat Mafia. It was a lot of fun and I really got to know those guys and their families a lot better. Really a great bunch of guys and it made us all feel good when the whole thing was over. Thanks also to Roo and Bride of Roo for their efforts.

I took 7th place ribs at a one day competition in West Des Moines, but no call (only called top five). At that same comp, made a good friend in Pork County BBQ. We later connected and cooked together at Mason City. Really nice guy and crew.

The other one was cooking my only contest, Nevada, IA and doing almost the whole thing myself. I had a buddy come up at 10:30 on Saturday to help with box prep, turn-ins and clean up, but the rest was all me. I even managed to do pretty well in a good field of competitors.

Looking forward to next year and cooking even more.

Ron_L
12-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow! Lots of great memories! Here are just a few...

Standing in the parking lot at Elk Grove Village, IL watching the flood waters from Salt Creek rise and finally fall.
Holding down the canopy at Deforest, WI while the rain poured down and lightening hit in the field 100 ft away.
Sharing Plowboy's excitement in winning the Butt-to-Butt and Andy winning the Chest-to-Chest
Watching Dr. Chucky OD on caffeine after drinking too much Roastin' Ronnie's coffee at Grand Rapids
Hearing Dave (Rookie48 ) yell "Fear The Pig" when we were called for first in brisket at Marshalltown, IA
All of the new friends that we made with our Friday night margarita runs and the Saturday morning coffee
All of the old friends that we were able to hang with all season
Taking RGC, first in ribs, first in brisket and the Land of Lincoln Award at Shannon, IL
Freezing our butts off at way too many competitions this year :rolleyes:

Bigdog
12-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Getting the privledge of teaming with the Mokan Meatheads and BigMista to represent the Brethren at the Royal in Big Phil's spot. :icon_cool

Meeting all the fine folks that took the time to drop by and say hi at the Royal. This includes making new friends as well as seeing old ones like bbqbull that I hadn't seen in years. :icon_cool

Watching Brethren teams sweep the GC and RGC in both the Open and Invitational at the Royal. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Actually cooking and turning in my first competition entry at Royal this year. It was just sausage, a fatty of course. :wink:

Having to pleasure of hanging with my friend and Brother, BigMista at the Royal. 8-)8-)

Brew-B-Q
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
It's kind of sad how many people talk about their wins and calls as the most memorable moment. For me having Carol back cooking with me at the U.P. was great. Being able to convinve Tom to cook with me at Nelsonville #2. Winning is great and I got my fair share of calls and money but the people are what's memorable.

I agree, but perhaps because I don't win crap. I fought the storms at Elk Grove, and I'll never forget that. But, my most memorable moment was at Westmont, where I cooked on my new cooker for the first time. Checked the briskets at 5 or 6 in the am, getting ready to foil, and boy were they done. Good advice from Ford and others on what to do, ended up with a 2nd place call. I still think the brisket sucked, but I learned how to salvage.

Bigmista
12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Sharing a meal with BigDog at Oklahoma Joe's

Giving Jay some mojo before he won best sauce at the Royal.

Hanging out with brethren from around the country at the royal.

Spending the night with Kim and Dammit Andy.

Burning Macoroni in Todd's pot before he won the Royal Invitational.

Cooking w/Bigdog and the Meatheads at the Royal

Winning best team show and 2nd in People's choice at Stagecoach.

And probably this moment...

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m288/dolson25/Stagecoach/?action=view&current=18ecf4c0.pbr

jbrink01
12-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I cooked one contest this year, and we won brisket, top 10 overall and top 10 chicken, but, the most memorable moment was when was the drunk chick tucked me in at 1:30am. I was asleep, the bars let out, and someone stopped in to kiss my forehead and wish me goodnight.....

jbrink01
12-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Oh, and I can't forget burning my chicken up with a grease fire at Washington, MO and getting called for 10th in chicken.

I don't think I had ever seen the darkside of Plowboys BBQ until that fire. I knew chickens could fly a little bit, but was unaware how far thighs could fly............

Plowboy
12-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I cooked one contest this year, and we won brisket, top 10 overall and top 10 chicken, but, the most memorable moment was when was the drunk chick tucked me in at 1:30am. I was asleep, the bars let out, and someone stopped in to kiss my forehead and wish me goodnight.....

That was me. :wink:

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I've always wanted to go stormchasing and see a tornado. You know, a big one over a field that doesn't hit anything. Still want to do that.

What I now know though, is I really don't want to be standing in a big open field, under an EZ-UP with no shelter at a comp while somebody announces that a funnel cloud is heading your way. Pretty helpless feeling. Thats my most memorable event in 09 - Chesapeake, VA - Chesapeake Jubilee comp.

cmcadams
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
My best wasn't an actual comp, as we decided against it at the last minute... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

Jacked UP BBQ
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
I've always wanted to go stormchasing and see a tornado. You know, a big one over a field that doesn't hit anything. Still want to do that.

What I now know though, is I really don't want to be standing in a big open field, under an EZ-UP with no shelter at a comp while somebody announces that a funnel cloud is heading your way. Pretty helpless feeling. Thats my most memorable event in 09 - Chesapeake, VA - Chesapeake Jubilee comp.

did you get nailed

Harbormaster
12-11-2009, 12:30 PM
... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

Totally forgot about that Curt. Every year PGBBQ is at the top of my list. I talk about it all year long.

Plowboy
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM
My best wasn't an actual comp, as we decided against it at the last minute... But it was having guys come to Dayton, Ohio, to cook 1200 lbs of pork for people they don't know, for the second year in a row. That's tough to beat. :)

That is so awesome! I always love seeing the pictures.

Jeff_in_KC
12-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I don't think I had ever seen the darkside of Plowboys BBQ until that fire. I knew chickens could fly a little bit, but was unaware how far thighs could fly............

Reminds me of 2006 at Sedalia, MO. I opened up my foiled ribs and they were falling apart! I opened about the third package like that and turned around and flung the entire slab against a tree! It was about Bubba and Jeff's 3rd or so contest ever and the look on their faces when they saw babybacks flying was funny (in hindsight... it sure wasn't then! :lol: ).

SmokeInDaEye
12-11-2009, 01:04 PM
stealing golf carts and the women of Lo n' Slo and PA Midnite Smokers:wink:.Helping out S.I.D.E. in Greenlane. Watching George From WATG? finally win it all in Harrisburg Pa.

It was a fun year!

Oh, yeah. Greenlane was a ton of fun with the drunks, the bonfire and the crawfish boil. Only contest I did this year that it didn't rain, though there was plenty of mud. Thank god for Brian!

Stoke&Smoke
12-11-2009, 01:06 PM
I agree, but perhaps because I don't win crap. I fought the storms at Elk Grove, and I'll never forget that. But, my most memorable moment was at Westmont, where I cooked on my new cooker for the first time. Checked the briskets at 5 or 6 in the am, getting ready to foil, and boy were they done. Good advice from Ford and others on what to do, ended up with a 2nd place call. I still think the brisket sucked, but I learned how to salvage.

Pat asking me early in the morning at Westmont "So Dann, have you ever rested brisket 7 hours?"
Me: No Pat, can't say I have
Pat: I'll let you know how it turns out:biggrin::eek::biggrin: (He won brisket!)

Trying (unsuccesfully) to keep our EZ-Up in one piece at Elk Grove, but still managing 5th place ribs in the aftermath

The 9:22 at Milwaukee. That one really sticks with me since the priest did the prayer instead of Reverend Randy

Oh, and nearly asphixiating ourselves at Libertyville by having the generator too close to the trailer:icon_bugeyed:icon_sick:mad:

What continues to be memorable is the great spirit for fraternity we enjoy at every competition. It never ceases to amaze me how fiercely a group of folks can compete, while at the same time cheering their fellow teams on when they hear someone elses name instead of their own

Ron_L
12-11-2009, 01:23 PM
You forgot one Dann :-D

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7024/1001048f.jpg

musicmanryann
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow, where do I start? I feel this whole year has been a series of memorable moments.

Cooking the Big Green Egg Scramble at the BarbeQlossal. That was one of the more scary things I have done, and I ended up having a ton of fun with my Dad as sous-chef.

Watching "Smokin' Joe" Beland win his first GC with what seemed like the entire town of St. Ansgar there, all sporting their patented white t-shirts, go up on stage to share the moment with him.

Almost losing our brisket due to frigid 40 mph winds picking up and destroying our canopy, and then getting 2nd in brisket the next day.

Midnight pork loin in Waterloo with the Tippy Canoe, Smokehouse 72, and Boondoggle boys, all the while Joe's bro-in-law is packin' heat cuz we were in "the hood".

Having my first official 9:22 am Jack shot in Waterloo, and Clone comes up to the group and says "Ahh chit! Big T'z is here?!?"

Good conversation and a picture with Rodney and Trigg prior to awards in LaPorte City.

The infamous "Chicken Gravy" discussion at the 4-mile camp in Marshalltown.

Witnessing Smokehouse 72 get two first place Pork calls this year after listening to Ray $%tch about it all year. ;-)

The E N T I R E competition in Windsor MO. Those who have heard the story know what i am talking about, but just know that farking dog will haunt my dreams for the rest of my life!

Both Friday and Saturday nights in Nevada (from what I remember). Friday night watching Smokehouse Bob do a slam dunk while the rest of us slam dunked shots of Templeton Rye courtesy of The Woodfellas. Saturday night watching Kenna Jo get tipsy and partying after, as Clone said it, "Getting our asses waxed".

Driving the camper for the first time to Omaha and failing at trying to park the darn thing. Thanks Spanky for parking it for me!

Serving samples of pork loin by myself at the People's Choice competition, and having Plowboy come up, grab a bite, and tell me it was delicious.

Watching Todd and Randy and Bob and Don take home Royal Gold, and tiredly celebrating with the Boondoggle boys and Iowa Regional Brethren Sunday night.

Being next to and getting to know the British BBQ Society Team during the Royal.

Watching my mother-in-law, who has never drank whiskey in her life and barely drinks, take a celebratory shot of clone-sickle after we got 12th place at the Royal Invitational. LMAO!

Having the complete and utter surprise of winning my first GC at the 2009 Great Pork BarbeQlossal. Hearing my name called and watching everyone stand up and cheer me on was a moment I will never forget as long as I live. I understand Ford's point, but it was in my hometown, I grew up less than a mile away, and I had a great number of family and friends there to share it with. It was one of those moments where for a few fleeting seconds everything comes together and seems just perfect.

Finally, and most importantly as I have an announcement to make, was cooking Libertyville IL, our last competition of the season.

For the first time it was just Sonya and I cooking and it was our longest trip to date. We were told to park the camper in the middle of a very large puddle of mud. We forgot to bring rubber boots, so Sonya had to go find some whilst I prepped the meat and got us settled in. After getting the boots on putting a gigantic tarp over the mud puddle everything went smoothly. At one point the Blackhawks mascot assisted me in putting on my briskets.

Later in the evening had a great time having good conversation with Ron and his wife and then having a cigar and a "few" drinks with Smokin' Joe and his siblings, the Brew-B-Q guys and Scottie.

Well and then we won the thing which was a great way to end the season, but that and all the things above were secondary to a moment that Sonya and I wouldn't even be aware of for another week. And that was the fact that unbeknownst to us it wasn't just the two of us cooking there that weekend, there was another, albeit much smaller, Cru member there with us.

That is right, if you haven't figured it out yet, while we were there, Sonya was pregnant, about three weeks pregnant to be exact.:-D:-D:-D:-D

The baby (our first) is due late June, and we could not be more excited and happy. :-D

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, by making this announcement here, but because of this Libertyville 2009 will be a very memorable competition indeed.

Whew, I finally got the go ahead from the wifey to make that announcement on here. It has been so hard to keep it mum, as from the moment I knew I wanted to share it with the Brethren.

Overall, bbq competitions in 2009 have been a conduit for me to spend more time with family and friends than I have in a very long time, if ever. It has also been a conduit through which I have met some amazing people, many of whom I can now call friends. While there are not "moments" of this per se, this has been the aspect of this year that is so memorable to me. I look forward to continuing more of the same next year!:-D

Stoke&Smoke
12-11-2009, 01:57 PM
:biggrin: No, didn't forget Ron

It was only 3rd place. It's just the field of teams that day made 3rd place seem like rarified air! To us anyway

Scottie
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Too bad you don't have audio as well!!

That's funny... What an action shot...

This is what makes comps memorable.

I couldn't care less about what I did...

Good one Ron.

You forgot one Dann :-D

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7024/1001048f.jpg

Scottie
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
The baby (our first) is due late June, and we could not be more excited and happy. :-D

I hope I am not hijacking the thread, by making this announcement here, but because of this Libertyville 2009 will be a very memorable competition indeed.

Nice... Glad you weren't over with us until the wee hours of the morning sipping high end rum... :rolleyes:

Congrats Ryan.

Scottie

Smokin' Joe
12-11-2009, 02:18 PM

Woohooo awesome news man, congrats to you and Sonya:eusa_clap Your life will never be the same (In a good way, I promise:lol:), enjoy it!

KC_Bobby
12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
The kid is going to have a kid! Congrats

GratefulSmoker
12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Congrats on the kiddo Ryan. We had our first right before last season and it made competitions just that much better to have our daughter there. Nothing like going up to accept an award with her in your arms. Again, Congrats!

Sledneck
12-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Too many but heres a few..

George from WATG? getting me out of the house inviting me down to hang out in Green Lane when I was sitting home recovering from my achhiles surgery

Cooking in Troy NY with Hodedo & Muzzlebrake and laughing so much that it hurt

Going down to the Jack with my son

BBQ Grail
12-11-2009, 02:35 PM
My most memorable comp moment was watching Big Brother Smoke snore through Big Country's "quiet time" escapades!

Stoke&Smoke
12-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Finally, and most importantly as I have an announcement to make, was cooking Libertyville MO, our last competition of the season.

:-D

Wasn't that Libertyville IL???
Congrats on the new team member!!!

musicmanryann
12-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Wasn't that Libertyville IL???
Congrats on the new team member!!!

Oops, yes, you are correct. Sorry if I have offended any Illini with the error. I am horrible proof-reader.

monty3777
12-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Congrats to you and yours, Ryan. And enjoy the sleep now. It's gone forever!

Yakfishingfool
12-11-2009, 03:36 PM
The winning is fun, but the best stuff is Phil and James and Vinny working like a team. Forgetting to eat until oh...midnight. Maistro De Pollo and his family. Sleeping outside at night on the cot, small bands of people talking, thick smell of smoke in the air...Vinny covered up in his sleeping bag, and James and Phil trying to out do each other in the gas department inside the trailer :)

Comps, what a blast!

ique
12-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Roadtrip with my team-mate John Delpha to take delivery on our Jambo pit

Cooking Rochester Rib Fest with only my son Ethan and taking first in ribs

My favorite weekend of the year, Harpoon

Winning the Mass State Championship after many, many years of getting beat by I Smell Smoke

When they turned around the big check on stage at Jack Daniels and it had my team name on it

AND, Shig TV live from Lynchburg, all my family and friends got to watch the big call

Jeff Hughes
12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Lots of highlights this year...

Stu and Kosmo and their first GC's, getting to know Cody and Don Cook, hangin' out with Skip, Andy and Todd after the Royal Open("don't you understand angles?!!"), a fatty and biscuits at 5 am at most every comp with my good buddies Don Simpson and Mike Hays, major improvements in my scores, and a life change in careers are all due to comp bbq...

It's been a great ride so far, and I'm looking forward to more...

Stoke&Smoke
12-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Too bad you don't have audio as well!!

That's funny... What an action shot...

This is what makes comps memorable.

I couldn't care less about what I did...

Good one Ron.

Nah, you were just RGC :rolleyes:

Scottie
12-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Nah, you were just RGC :rolleyes:

I was first loser...

Coz
12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
I guess for me it was seeing my buddy Matt(JellyRoll) get his first GC.Other then that its seeing the friends we have made and visiting with them till all hours of the nite.

Sledneck
12-11-2009, 09:40 PM
The winning is fun, but the best stuff is Phil and James and Vinny working like a team. Forgetting to eat until oh...midnight. Maistro De Pollo and his family. Sleeping outside at night on the cot, small bands of people talking, thick smell of smoke in the air...Vinny covered up in his sleeping bag, and James and Phil trying to out do each other in the gas department inside the trailer :)

Comps, what a blast!

I thought my singing would of made your list

MilitantSquatter
12-11-2009, 09:55 PM

Comps, what a blast!

Yes.. Good times !!!

Don't forget

*Muzzlebrake making fun of your acid washed daisy dukes shorts !!
*Cue's Your Daddy ragging on "Body by Phil"
* Short little me, making futile attempts to to jump up and push the rain pockets out of the canopies at Sayville
*Frank Sacco giving a hug and kiss to the on-site massage therapist at Battle of the Brethren because he felt guilty

Sledneck
12-12-2009, 08:28 AM
*Frank Sacco giving a hug and kiss to the on-site massage therapist at Battle of the Brethren because he felt guilty what was his name?:eek:

Jaybird
12-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Stagecoach, CA. Sunday awards ceremony. The bbq community really showed their love for a loss of one of their own...

That will be with me for the rest of my life.

Me too brother. That was priceless.

Vince RnQ
12-12-2009, 11:59 AM
A couple of my favorite moments from 2009 happened the week of the Rock 'n Ribs contest in Salt Lake City, UT. Our good friend Jaybird of Otis and The Bird was there too. As many of you know, Jay wife and teammate Monica passed away earlier this year after a long battle with cancer and Jay had been working hard to try all season to figure out how to do by himself what he and Monica had spent the last 8 years doing together. I imagine it was a pretty hard thing to do for many reasons other than the simple logistics.

As a bit of backstory, Jay and Monica had earned a spot at the 2008 Jack but were unable to attend as Monica had taken a bad turn and just couldn't make the trip. Our two teams had spent the entire 2008 season cooking contests against each other and we were really excited about the fact that our team had been drawn and we were going to be able to cook that contest against each other as well. It was a very sad day when Jaybird call to tell us that they weren't going to be able to go. We, of course, understood the reason but it was very sad none the less.

OK, back to the RnR 2009. This was the last weekend for qualifiers for the 2009 Jack and Jaybird was on a mission to win it and get back to Lynchburg. He had been getting closer and closer to putting it all together in recent contests and we all knew it was just a matter of time before he hit but the pressure was on since this was the last chance for the year. Well, strange things happen in barbeque and I believe it was the Tuesday of that week when Jaybird called me up and told me that he had just received a call from Debbie Christian from Jack Daniel's. She had told him that they were aware of Monica's passing and had decided to extend an invitation to him for 2009 since they had been unable to attend in 2008 due to her illness. It was truly an awesome moment and I fell that same excitement right now just writing about it that I felt when Jaybird was telling me the news. It was awesome!

But that's not all. Fast forward to the day of the contest...

We had cooked what we knew was an excellent contest and felt we really had a good chance to win the event. We were set up right next to Jaybird and had enjoyed each others company all weekend long and were again excited about both our teams cooking the Jack this year. As it turned out, the contest didn't have enough teams to be a qualifier so the winner wasn't going to get into the Utah draw. Even so, I recall that about 15 minutes or so before the awards were about to start, I looked over at DivaHerself and said something like, "Ya know, if we were on a pace to win this weekend, I sure wouldn't mind if we ended up as the RGC behind Jaybird as Grand Champion. Considering the events of the week, it would be downright poetic." She agreed and I'll be damned if that isn't just what happened! Jaybird took home the GC and we were thrilled to be in 2nd Place behind him!

Sometimes things just work out the way they're supposed to and the week of the 2009 Rock 'n Ribs in Salt Lake City, Utah was one of those times.

Kosmo's Q
12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
2 times stick out for me the Claremore hail storm. Stu and I holding down the EZ up. And Ponca City, and to think I almost left that comp early. LOL Met a lot of great friends and learned a lot from the host of arse whooping teams in this area. And starting up my new company Kosmo's Q Injections and Marinades.

This Is How We Que It
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Having to work during the American Royal, but was able to get down there and hanging out with teams that I had met during the year. It's only our second year, but we have met a lot of great people.

dreed
12-13-2009, 11:19 AM
It would have to be Roc City ribfest. We had worked on this homemade three barrel smoker all winter in anticipation of our first competition. We borrowed a trailer and 10x10 tent and in pure amazement we had won the rib competition. Our very first comp. Albeit was a backyard comp the Sat before KCBS. But to a bunch of greenhorns, it was a phenomenal experience. The KCBS the next day was a sobering experience.

ThomEmery
12-13-2009, 11:33 AM
http://bbqthom.ning.com/video/rod-wins

Rods walk off Home Run at Tempe
to win the National Championship

ThomEmery
12-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Me too brother. That was priceless.

I hope we can do it once more in 2010

JD McGee
12-13-2009, 01:51 PM
Teaming up with Brian (swamprb) to form "Left hand Smoke"...:cool:

* Winning our first GC at the Skagit Valley BBQ Championship...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8gQBj8HAb2Ny6VxbI_nk6SiMZJeoVlgtX3YKYkNjc1ZjlML Dr_5YHpVH_dzUJEXVlswIhvs44eUm2-RCj3SiIA/DSC_0629.jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8gQBj8HAb2Ny6VxbI_nk6YsTQl22BuorqaHyol8yRAhTVZp EWAQF7_u39y2-bkL3AqX4QbPWP_fRnp_ee1FuQw/DSC_0629.jpg)

* Our 2nd GC at the Evergreen State BBQ Championship...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pfIINOXoPTJ3zTvIGNqaxVMVYbOt3rkqql4JZ-Vxma8_PBZ_u_KqXkXR43mnp_-j5pUWUmN7Ok590C6qpez7EZQ/DSC_0296.jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pprNlBObPjNuyfDx0wHGyMHFgLfQK6PN48tbiuHL5IGNb7m4 8LOVeRhbNJuhmtHHY44Gsa0FihIbdd-spus1o7A/DSC_0296.jpg)

* Our reserve GC at BBQ On The By-Pass...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pxhyrWSV6_HETlUe0q_DavtjxPXJSU5kY1kKcgo_1Xf-MG4AyRh5r1DoBeY-t42QtXqT4aZE80Il2zxsKXGrNuQ/DSC_0572.jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pxhyrWSV6_HETlUe0q_DavnBJsk-PqqhW2L18v3RlO7Vw7i328f3zjYxw84cMPArBwklW9DRAe8JDv j7AJ9Z-UA/DSC_0572.jpg)

* Our reserve GC at Birch Bay...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1ptGJTkYfPu0ikP9FK3GVeOIH4wEifM3LWrcADjqIcLgIgOJ_ HGtiP7VQ9qbuWe09c4u7wFzeM_rq7g_rNz2EuAQ/DSC_0001a%20(369).jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1peypS8WjwiCTgeTb-vbEJ_uFVebAQ1j1s6sZriInYIH1MTXvggQ91yPEKEB-OjQKFSj5m-z-8zH3P7B3d-KcvAQ/DSC_0001a%20(369).jpg)

* Our "perfect score" ribs at Chehalis...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwN2IgFAnpaYRUJPvhTBzTBsx6ZvBrG_MxYL1EEmxWgRoE6i 8LvXe-_l1yxP1pceWHo5ODSHy3x7BM_eu2qs9EQ/DSC_0446ps.jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwN2IgFAnpaYRUJPvhTBzTOU2gIVzAAdny_VTJ4aDdaHAtdp kTY1fgfNyx8fkabXiJ40C1xokNt_mc6lQIyfsCA/DSC_0446ps.jpg)

* Brian's reserve GC and "perfect score" chicken at Central Area BBQ ...

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1psX78HhbXTGEW69W3oUyuOjzXID_SN7YWohQXLV1JTijnnQf 2MW4JScAH86xoJI3UgQJwGLzl1z7NkuUghf08zA/pop%20up%20squirrel%20central%20seattle.jpg (http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1psX78HhbXTGEW69W3oUyuOudV3NOd9QIAbk49fYiE-4k-d9QDKnWKA3f7zl8KlLoLNx6uZJPbftUPl2EbTt2MhA/pop%20up%20squirrel%20central%20seattle.jpg)

Most of my favorite moments are our "winning" moments...but there are countless memories of friendship and camaraderie that are just as meaningful! :-P

Alexa RnQ
12-13-2009, 02:13 PM
http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pwN2IgFAnpaYRUJPvhTBzTBsx6ZvBrG_MxYL1EEmxWgRoE6i 8LvXe-_l1yxP1pceWHo5ODSHy3x7BM_eu2qs9EQ/DSC_0446ps.jpg

Best. shirt. EVerrrrrrrr!

Yakfishingfool
12-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Sled, of course your singing!!! How could I forget. And yes to all of Vinny's mentions. It really is a lot of fun. Lot's of work, but lots of fun!

EarlyBird
12-13-2009, 10:00 PM
My favorite things from this years BBQ season

1. Being in Marysville, KS when Kim and Andy of Smoke on Wheels won their first ever GC in same place where we won our first GC.
2. Telling Andy that it won't be that long before they win another one and then they win GC's all over the country.
3. They TOY chase at the end of the year.
4. Watching Emerald Buffalo win GC at Bellevue, NE
5. Visiting the Jack for the first time and hanging with the I Smell Smoke !! team.
6. Having our own RV.