PDA

View Full Version : Next for txschutte? Brick and Mortar?

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:10 PM
My ultimate dream for my BBQ passion is to own a takeout BBQ/BBQ Supply shop. Small and manageable.

I have been doing fair with the trailer, but the taco wagons are just about killing me here.

Next step: A real Store.

Somebody come to Nebraska and kick me in the nads for even thinking like this so early in my "BBQ Career", but I may have the chance to get into a building for ..Get this..$250/month rent + utils. 800 ft/sq. Off of the main business district here in Cozad. I have most of the equipment I need with the exception of a commercial smoker.

I plan to look at the place later in the week, and make an evaluation with the local HD inspector (Whom I have a fantastic relationship with) to see what I would need to do.

Not 100% sure yet, still some financial and other things to consider.

Am I farkin' stupid here?? Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Seems after a year (finally) things may be falling into place for Family Tradition Barbecue.

BBQ Grail
12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
You are SO Farking stupid for doing this...

And I wish it was me!

BBQ Grail
12-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Oh and is Wyatt going to let you work there?

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
You are SO Farking stupid for doing this...

And I wish it was me!
Larry, I am cautiously giddy right now. Making sure it's the right thing to do before I jump in.

Mrs tx is supporting me anyway I need it right now. Right now vending/catering is working out because I do all the work and she works the book!:wink:

landarc
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree with Larry, this is an incredibly stupid idea, but, I mean that in a totally supportive way.

At some point, you either reach for your dream, or give up and get a real job.

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:17 PM
After I get outta school and on weekends, as long as I don't give "hookups" to the high school girls....

Plowboy
12-08-2009, 08:18 PM
My ultimate dream for my BBQ passion is to own a takeout BBQ/BBQ Supply shop. Small and manageable.

I have been doing fair with the trailer, but the taco wagons are just about killing me here.

Next step: A real Store.

Somebody come to Nebraska and kick me in the nads for even thinking like this so early in my "BBQ Career", but I may have the chance to get into a building for ..Get this..$250/month rent + utils. 800 ft/sq. Off of the main business district here in Cozad. I have most of the equipment I need with the exception of a commercial smoker.

I plan to look at the place later in the week, and make an evaluation with the local HD inspector (Whom I have a fantastic relationship with) to see what I would need to do.

Not 100% sure yet, still some financial and other things to consider.

Am I farkin' stupid here?? Right now, I'm feeling overwhelmed. Seems after a year (finally) things may be falling into place for Family Tradition Barbecue.

Wow, commercial property here is $16 per square foot. Your space would be $10k a month here.

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree with Larry, this is an incredibly stupid idea, but, I mean that in a totally supportive way.

At some point, you either reach for your dream, or give up and get a real job.
I have a real job. Pays well. That's why I'm keeping it until BBQ makes me more than Project Supervisor does.

It's more than money now though. It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.

landarc
12-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Incidentally, I have worked in the food industry as a cook/busser/bottle washer and I have been a business owner for over 23 of my 26 year working life as a landscape architect, it has been worth it to me, even when times were lean.

landarc
12-08-2009, 08:21 PM
It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.
Yes I do know, very well. Doesn't mean working for your son will be easy.

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow, commercial property here is $16 per square foot. Your space would be $10k a month here.
Welcome to the Styx.:lol:

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:23 PM

Yes I do know, very well. Doesn't mean working for your son will be easy.
Rough Crowd...:-D

BBQ Grail
12-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Rough Crowd...:-D

Please...you knew it would come!

And besides you've turned into such a wimp! Back in the day we would have gotten a snappy "BITE ME" retort...

txschutte
12-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Bite me, Larry.

landarc
12-08-2009, 08:52 PM
Ooo! He likes you Larry.

BBQ Bandit
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Well hello... Pissy's back!!

BTW: May the smoke stay out of your face... and into your family's future.

Corona King
12-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I once wanted to open a roadside eatery, I was talked out of it. GO FOR IT! A man that does not take a chance, dosnt have a chance.

BobBrisket
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Gor for it. Worst case, you keep your job and run the shop part time during the week and on weekends. At that price per month, I'm sure you can make it at least profitable. Maybe a family member can run it the rest of the time you aren't there.
How is it that the Taco Wagons are killing you? You are just as mobile as they are in that trailer. Or is it a bigger menu they offer? I'm hoping to get into vending at festivals and such once we get a break from paying daycare for the kids. Slowly but surely I've been collecting gear, here and there.
I'd like to hear what you have learned from your experience. Is a set spot in a building a better move? I'm intrigued.

Skip
12-08-2009, 09:37 PM
How close are you to the business district? Would you pull a good lunch crowd? Won't it conflict with your day job?

daddywoofdawg
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM
If you go for it and want to sell the trailer PM me I'm looking for one now and have cash in hand.or anyone else that has a vending trailer don't need the smoker have a few.just a trailer with a vending window.

Captain Dave
12-09-2009, 03:47 AM
I think anyone who opens a new business in this economy is real farkin stupid. With tarp coming and health care taxes, you just cant know what your costs will be up the road. However it is a cash business, if you know what i mean, and $250. a month rent it sure is tempting. Get some good lease options and make sure you have a big cash reserve.Good luck.

Ashmont
12-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Good luck Shane were all counting on you! BTW if you need a good supply line of Black Angus i sure can hook you up. Bob doesnt want it I just heard....

Smokinrubcom
12-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Here is what I would do:
1)Keep your real job (because of insurance + benefits)
2) Open this BBQ brick and mortar business in the evenings or just Friday/Sat night.
3) or maybe open for lunch during the week assuming you have someone who you can trust to run it for you.

Hell $250 per month is only about $35 per Friday/Sat night. Just to see how well it does and if it does real well - go ALL in :shock:

This is just my opinion. All I have is a real job selling meat and an online BBQ rub/sauce online business so take it for what its worth :wink:

Good luck bro! Wish you the best

Mike

bmarley5780
12-09-2009, 10:50 AM
What about food cost? Insurance? Permits? Fees? Taxes? ?

Sledneck
12-09-2009, 11:16 AM
$250 a month seems a bit steep for Cozad, NE

chambersuac
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Shane, I pray that the Lord would guide your decision and bless you whatever direction you take.

txschutte
12-09-2009, 04:59 PM
How close are you to the business district? Would you pull a good lunch crowd? Won't it conflict with your day job?1/2 Block from the main drag. I'll be really looking for Fri-Sat supper crowds.

If you go for it and want to sell the trailer PM me I'm looking for one now and have cash in hand.or anyone else that has a vending trailer don't need the smoker have a few.just a trailer with a vending window.Keeping the trailer. It does really well at festivals and such..

I think anyone who opens a new business in this economy is real farkin stupid. With tarp coming and health care taxes, you just cant know what your costs will be up the road. However it is a cash business, if you know what i mean, and $250. a month rent it sure is tempting. Get some good lease options and make sure you have a big cash reserve.Good luck.
My plan is to open for takeout, if that doesn't work out, I can use it as the kitchen for my catering gigs only. Supplying rubs, smokers and sauce may help supplement the biz,as well. At $250/mo, I will already be making money with the catering. I already have paid that amount to the kitchen I have been using on a per cook basis for catering.
What about food cost? Insurance? Permits? Fees? Taxes? ?I know the food costs already, with catering/vending, I have agood supplier and know where to get the deals I need. Insurance is already covered with my liability coverage, would just need to add commercial renter's. Fees are with the HD, about $650 to get certified. I already pay local, state and fedral income taxes with the vending/catering business. My city has a food convenience tax of 1%.

As I said, as long as I can make sure the owner isn't going to jack the rent as soon as he sees success, I can already profit by having my own kitchen for caterin. I will be working WITH the HD to determine what, if any, modifications I would have to make. The trailer is great business, however the taco wagons kill me because out of a dozen in the area, only my trailer and another are certified. The others are able to offer lower prices because of less overhead. I choose to be legal, because I can do the feastivals, many towns that require city licensing, and can use that in my ads. Fly-by-nighters are notorious here, and they are fixin to get hammered.

If I try with the stationary locale, maybe it takes off maybe not. If it does, I have everything to gain. If it flops, I figure I may be out at best $3000, if I have a year lease on the joint. The smoker will be no loss, as I am already looking for a smoker to suit my vending/catering business.

Bbq Bubba
12-09-2009, 07:09 PM
Do it.

Nuff said.

Bbq Bubba
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
and i know of a good carpenter who would help ya remodel. :cool:

MilitantSquatter
12-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Shane - Aside from all the financial pro/cons, please just make sure you are factoring in your time investment and any impacts it may have on being away from your family...

Good Luck...

txschutte
12-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Shane - Aside from all the financial pro/cons, please just make sure you are factoring in your time investment and any impacts it may have on being away from your family...

Good Luck...
It's funny you should mention that, Vinny.

Mrs tx and I had the "Family Time" discussion long before my hare-brained idea of starting a BBQ Catering Company. In one way or another, each one of our family members has a place in our company, a specific job. We probably spend more time together when we cook and cater than we did before starting this endeavor. Hence the name "Family Tradition BBQ".

We have also hired some help to simply allow us to have time off away from the business. They run my trailer every other weekend. They are very trustworthy, and are almost part of our family, so they have an interest in expansion as well.

Skip
12-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Your last two posts convinced me you should do it. :lol:

big brother smoke
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Opening a Brick and Mortar is always a gamble. However, given your shoes, I'd hit that!

By the way is the rent so cheap, because you are using your briskets as the bricks and your sauce as the mortar?:tongue:

Love ya, brother!:biggrin:

txschutte
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Not sure why the rent is so cheap...yet. I'll have an update for you farkers on the building condition on Fri afternoon. Could be a letdown for all I know.

big brother smoke
12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Not sure why the rent is so cheap...yet. I'll have an update for you farkers on the building condition on Fri afternoon. Could be a letdown for all I know.

Be postive, bro. We are just jealous:mrgreen:

landarc
12-09-2009, 09:01 PM
... Mrs tx and I had the "Family Time" discussion long before my hare-brained idea of starting a BBQ Catering Company. In one way or another, each one of our family members has a place in our company, a specific job. ...
Okay, I was waiting for Grail...but since he is not here, if Mrs. Tex does the books, and the boys do all the cooking, what exactly is your roll?

txschutte
12-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Okay, I was waiting for Grail...but since he is not here, if Mrs. Tex does the books, and the boys do all the cooking, what exactly is your roll?
Marketing.....Sexy sells.

big brother smoke
12-09-2009, 09:13 PM

Great question!:cool:

Better comeback!:biggrin:

landarc
12-09-2009, 09:15 PM
:lol: I am not worthy I am not worthy :evil:

Mrs. tx
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Is anyone willing to give up some insider tips to a tenant lease space contract? I want to know about SOP's for terms, conditions and backout clauses.

JD McGee
12-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a real job. Pays well. That's why I'm keeping it until BBQ makes me more than Project Supervisor does.

It's more than money now though. It's having something else that I can't explain, but you know what I mean.

I know EXACTLY what you mean! :-P Good luck brother smoker! :biggrin:

bmarley5780
12-10-2009, 04:05 AM
I agree - From your last few posts..... DO IT !

Could ya possibly ride by and take a few pics for us?

BBQ Grail
12-10-2009, 07:30 AM

WHAT?

Do I have some kind of reputation when it comes to Shane? I've never had a bad thing to say about him! Have I?

deguerre
12-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Shane, you're good. You know it. WE know it (Well, except for briskies :twisted:).
You've got the moral support you need. GO FOR IT!!!

Divemaster
12-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Do it bro...

Be postive, bro. We are just jealous:mrgreen:
I know I am!

If that's the best you can do, this whole venture just went down the chit hole...

Love ya bro...

landarc
12-10-2009, 11:39 AM
Is anyone willing to give up some insider tips to a tenant lease space contract? I want to know about SOP's for terms, conditions and backout clauses.
What tips are you looking for? I am from CA, consequently, we always used an attorney for out negotiations. I can say that out policy was the everything was described and proscribed. Not just price, but who is responsible for what? Where does the landlords responsibility and liability end and the tenants start? Exactly who pays for what, how much is paid for, who handles costs beyond those basic to the building? Make sure that the end of the contract is described clearly also, who is responsible for what should the agreement end? What happens if the building is sold or ownership is assumed by a third party? etc...

keale
12-10-2009, 03:43 PM

Its called Mid Life Crisis! Did you get your Porche Convertable yet? :-P

Shane, I really wish you well, you have the opportunity a lot of us wish they could do! It's my dream to open a place, after I retire, just recently though for some reason its wanting it to be a BBQ place!:eek:
Your family is behind you with their blessings GO FOR IT!!

Roy

GreasePig
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Sounds like a great deal Shane. If you would already be making money just by not having to rent a kitchen then all you have to do is make up your startup costs to get back to even. Your breakeven on your catering would go down. As long as you don't have any major remodel expenses to cover it seems like a great deal with very little added costs. Is the building already set up as a takeout place or will you have to do remodel to get it there? Does it already have the kitchen facilities you need?

At that price your debt service is so small I can't see it being a mistake even if you decide not to do takeout and just use it as your vending kitchen instead of renting.

Heck, you could just do take out dinner service 3 or 4 nights a week and prep for your vending while you are there and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do agree with the advice of not giving up a good job in this economy though. I'd make this more of a second profession if it was me.

txschutte
12-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds like a great deal Shane. If you would already be making money just by not having to rent a kitchen then all you have to do is make up your startup costs to get back to even. Your breakeven on your catering would go down. As long as you don't have any major remodel expenses to cover it seems like a great deal with very little added costs. Is the building already set up as a takeout place or will you have to do remodel to get it there? Does it already have the kitchen facilities you need?

At that price your debt service is so small I can't see it being a mistake even if you decide not to do takeout and just use it as your vending kitchen instead of renting.

Heck, you could just do take out dinner service 3 or 4 nights a week and prep for your vending while you are there and kill 2 birds with one stone.

I do agree with the advice of not giving up a good job in this economy though. I'd make this more of a second profession if it was me.I wholeheartedly agree. Insurance and benefits aren't something I can pay myself right now. I have a good job now, with a great employer. I even mentioned about this building to him earlier today, and he thinks a BBQ takeout place is a great idea, and knows my side biz doesn't interfere with my day biz.

As far as the building goes, I'm not totally sure what needs to be done. You only get so much info while peering through plate glass. I would need to do some sort of counter and SS tables for sure. Looks like the 3 basin and hand wash are all there. Place looks like like an old brick storefront from the '40's. The building is deeper than just the front of the store, so I want to know what is in the back (mechanicals, storage, etc) also need to know where the FEC will be placed if all is a go.

I'll have the info soon!

txschutte
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
A look at the place (http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=40.858474,-99.986752&spn=0,359.99717&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=40.858477,-99.986868&panoid=5BkItVEkO-UiMZpYrMyxnA&cbp=12,16.05,,1,0.5)via Google Maps.

BBQ Grail
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
It looks like a BBQ joint.

BBQ Grail
12-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Or a beauty parlor...

txschutte
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Or a beauty parlor...
I t was a beauty parlor in that pic. Then it was a cookie shop. Both of those businesses moved a block away, to the main street. Their businesses went through the roof (so to speak). I'm hoping that maybe the building has one left in her....

GreasePig
12-10-2009, 04:57 PM
LOL @ Larry...

Hang a big ol' BBQ sign out front and that will be a great looking storefront! When you told the rent I pictured FAR worse!

I hope it lives up to expectations when you tour it Shane!

BBQ Grail
12-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Cozad BBQ and Beauty Salon
Smoked or Waxed You'll Love Our Butts

txschutte
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
That's IT!!!!!!!!!!

landarc
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
BBQ places do not belong on the main street, they belong in old brick buildings, down a side street, in what used to be a beauty parlor.

txschutte
12-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Lololololololol!!!!!!!!!

GreasePig
12-10-2009, 05:07 PM

Now how am I supposed to get THAT mental picture out of my head! :rolleyes:

Learnin Querve
12-11-2009, 12:08 AM

There are no insider tips, as every lease and situation is different. The lease you're being asked to sign may have terms and conditions that are fine for me, but entirely unacceptable to you.

Hire an a local attorney to review the lease and walk you through it. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something. The $150 dollars or so you pay could save you thousands. If you have specific questions or concerns that aren't clearly addressed in the lease as presented, your attorney can put them in (assuming the landlord agrees to the changes) so there is no question later.

It's always cheaper to pay a lawyer to negotiate now than to litigate later.

Good luck

Chris

3 Rivers BBQ
12-11-2009, 04:18 AM
Cozad BBQ and Beauty Salon

Now that's some funny chit!

Big V
12-11-2009, 03:37 PM
You only live once, and you may never have this chance again! :cool: I hope this works out for you! I'm pulling for you! :smile:

landarc
12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Hey Shane, I was talking about this deal with a friend out here who owns 4 restaurants, one of which is a BBQ place. He couldn't believe the deal you had in front of you in terms of rent and space. His thought was that if you are already paying for a commercial kitchen, and the numbers are even close, this is too good a deal to pass up.

txschutte
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I just got back from looking at the place with the HD inspector present....

BBQ Grail
12-11-2009, 04:25 PM
I just got back from looking at the place with the HD inspector present....

What's Home Depot got to do with this?

landarc
12-11-2009, 04:37 PM
shovels and shovel racks?

txschutte
12-11-2009, 04:39 PM
What's Home Depot got to do with this?
That's where I won't be buying most of the stuff I need to do a few upgrades to the building.

The attorney should have a copy of the lease on his desk Monday morning, so, with any luck, and legalities are ironed out....

I could be the proud tenant of my own building by the end of next week!!:eusa_clap

BBQ Grail
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM
If you can't find a good construction supervisor/management type person let me know...

txschutte
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
If you can't find a good construction supervisor/management type person let me know...I thought of hiring Bubba, but he won't take "aged" brisket for payment.

BBQ Grail
12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I thought of hiring Bubba, but he won't take "aged" brisket for payment.

You could get Billy to come down and help you out. Maybe he's still got the pink RV you could use as a construction office. I mean it is a Beauty Parlor...

txschutte
12-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Billy doesn't love me anymore. He won't return my calls.

See what you've done, Larry??

I was just starting to heal! Then you come along and rip open the scabs on a day that is supposed to be special!!!

:rolleyes:

BBQ Grail
12-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Billy doesn't love me anymore. He won't return my calls.

See what you've done, Larry??

I was just starting to heal! Then you come along and rip open the scabs on a day that is supposed to be special!!!

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry...

Smokin J
12-11-2009, 06:12 PM
I think you should go for it....... as long as you can afford to fail without putting your family on the street, or in serious debt. An opportunity like this may not come around again.

Good luck!

Midnight Smoke
12-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Just my 2 cents, You want a Take Out Place for now. If you wanted a sit down in the future what did the HD say about bathrooms, Handicap Accessible ETC... I seen business's here that were not resturants being required to jump thru all sorts of hoops and spend enormous amonts of cash just to satisfy the different inspectors. Is the signage, electric and Plumbing Etc... up to code as well? Is high speed internet available?

txschutte
12-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Just my 2 cents, You want a Take Out Place for now. If you wanted a sit down in the future what did the HD say about bathrooms, Handicap Accessible ETC... I seen business's here that were not resturants being required to jump thru all sorts of hoops and spend enormous amonts of cash just to satisfy the different inspectors. Is the signage, electric and Plumbing Etc... up to code as well? Is high speed internet available?
According to the codes, take out or sit down, it would fall under the same rules for ADA. Since the building is "grandfathered", meaning it was built and had no structural modifications since being built before the ADA standards came into place, i can exclude myself from these for now. However, should I decide to change the front door, I will have to update the whole building to ADA codes.(Which, to be honest, doesn't amount to much.)

Plumbing and electrical are modern, floor sinks and triple basins are in working order. I would need to move my SS tables and fridge into it and satisfy equipment standards to get my license. The would-be dining area needs to be updated and I may actually have to spend some money on flooring and decor, maybe even the serving counter I would need to be able to present a product.

The real question will be the Fire Marshall meeting I have next week. I insisted upon this due to my want of mounting the smoker inside, to be vented outside for security reasons. If the smoker inside is a no go, I will have to figure a way to secure the smoker at night while in operation. The drawback to that is another cost of running electricity to an outside receptacle with a manual cutoff.

I haven't even seen the lease at this point, so I'm trying not to get wound up just yet. The fine print and other details could tank this altogether.

Learnin Querve
12-12-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm glad to hear you took the lease to your attorney. Whenever I have taken real estate documents to my lawyer, he's always found something that he felt was unfavorable to me. He's saved me more than his fee every time.

Hope your meeting with Fire Marshall goes well. If there isn't one installed there already, ask about fire suppression systems. A deep fryer can make you good money.

Chris

stiffy
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
How did everything turn out for you? Hopefully you got the approval from your friend at the HD.

1_T_Scot
12-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Hope you everything is working out or you. No posts in a while maybe you are too busy selling Q to update us (that would be great!).

txschutte
12-27-2009, 09:30 PM
We are still trying to iron out some details in the contract. The owner, of course, is balking at some of my requirements. One of which I plan to take a hard stand on. If it all doesn't work out, I am prepared to upgrade the trailer and move on.

tony76248
12-29-2009, 12:26 PM

Good Luck...

Yup weekends holidays and evenings...

I would give it a year if you don't have to give up the day job. Hopefully you can get some good help, that will make the difference.

You gonna be able to serve beer? That would have to be a requirement for me. That way the waitstaff can make some money and stick around for a while.

I don't own a restaurant so I have always wondered about the cost of the liquor liscense and insurance when you serve liquor.

I have owned a few small businesses that were very profitable with low overhead and over the years have kept my job with the federal gov't. The best part has been when the market changes I just step away and I am usually tired of what I was doing by then anyway. Just something to think about.

800 Sq Ft total? How much of that would be dedicated to the kitchen? Is there a place for the smoker out back?

Remember this one? "Three things that make a successful business are location, location, location."

txschutte
12-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Tony, it's not a matter of can I sell beer. Sure I can. Will I? Absolutely not. Some, for personal reasons. Also too much of a headache. This will be first and foremost a family place. I wouldn't feel right by selling beer to the folks that are eating with their kids and then driving home.

tony76248
12-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Tony, it's not a matter of can I sell beer. Sure I can. Will I? Absolutely not. Some, for personal reasons. Also too much of a headache. This will be first and foremost a family place. I wouldn't feel right by selling beer to the folks that are eating with their kids and then driving home.

Can folks bring their own beer?

I was only asking because my daughter waitresses at a restaurant that doesn't serve beer and if they did the tips would be double.

I do understand the personal choice and again, that is why I was curious about the insurance. I do not even know if it is cost effective to serve beer. I just know when I go to a BBQ joint I always have beer.

Jorge
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM

I was only asking because my daughter waitresses at a restaurant that doesn't serve beer and if they did the tips would be double.

I do understand the personal choice and again, that is why I was curious about the insurance. I do not even know if it is cost effective to serve beer. I just know when I go to a BBQ joint I always have beer.

Insurance goes up dramatically. I talked to somebody in the last year about opening a Tex-mex place here in the metroplex. Beer made the #'s look much better though. Even though I wasn't risking any capital I chose to walk away and not gamble with a year of my life. I've got all the respect in the world for somebody that can survive in that business and enjoy it.

chambersuac
12-29-2009, 01:12 PM

Depending on the state, selling alcohol can be very expensive. Insurance is much higher. Some states require all employees undergo "dram shop" training, so that they know the laws and the signs of intoxication, etc. Getting beer and/or liqueur licenses can be a long and costly process. Then, you also have the headache of worrying about selling to underage patrons.

tony76248
12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Depending on the state, selling alcohol can be very expensive. Insurance is much higher. Some states require all employees undergo "dram shop" training, so that they know the laws and the signs of intoxication, etc. Getting beer and/or liqueur licenses can be a long and costly process. Then, you also have the headache of worrying about selling to underage patrons.

We do TABC training here. I took the classes a few years back to work concessions for a charity at the stadium. You have to have refresher training too. They taught us how to spot fake ID's too.

I would have expected the insurance to be higher and again the insurance is probably relative to the hours the restaurant stays open too. I am sure there are lots of variables to the premiums.