PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Sucks! Class

monty3777
12-08-2009, 11:40 AM
I have been pestering Scottie to consider holding a competition class for some time. My thought is that holding a class could really help raise funds for the Corliss Johnson Memorial Foundation.

What do you all think? Scottie has indicated that he will enlist a former winner of the TOY to help him with the class - so a Jack Daniel's World Champion, and a winner of the TOY would be the instructors.

Looks like the class will be in the Chicagoland area.

$500 would get you two things:

1. A FULL BLOWN competition class with nothing held back taught by TWO champion cooks
2. You would be making a $500 donation to the Foundation - though since you are receiving a service I doubt it would be tax-deductible, but who cares! (http://www.cancersuckschicago.com/)
3. Dinner may be provided by a local BBQ place and the Lions club can help with discounts on hotels

I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

Most importantly, will you come?

Looks like I'll be going to two classes this year. Don't tell my wife :icon_shy

Jeff Hughes
12-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I think it's a great idea...

KC_Bobby
12-08-2009, 11:50 AM
I think Scottie would like some feedback before he commits himself to taking this project on. Does the price seem right? Would the weekend of Feb 19-20 (or perhaps Feb 20-21) work?

I think it's a poor date choice as the KookersKare Winterfest is Feb 20 ... and It's highly possible that I'm not the only one that would be interested in both. But other then that it sounds good.

Jeff_in_KC
12-08-2009, 12:34 PM
Same weekend as Kelly's (4 Legs Up) class in Independence, MO if I recall correctly.

Plowboy
12-08-2009, 12:38 PM
If the dates worked, I'd go.

GratefulSmoker
12-08-2009, 12:42 PM
I would go to Scotties class also if our schedule allows for it.

Scottie
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
the date is due to the start of the BBQ season. It could also be February 26th weekend, but I was planning on going to Havasu. This second instructor (which I don't want to announce until this is for sure) is a can't miss! I am honored that he would help me and my foundation out to try and raise monies for cancer research.

I realize that the comp season basically starts on 2/26 and then it's every weekend until December.... Can we make everyone happy? Probably not. But the opportunity just seemed like a nice way to teach some BBQ, which I enjoy doing anyway and raise monies for my cause.

I also want everyone to know that I won't make a dime from this. So I am not jumping on the class bandwagon to make my millions!!! :wink:

Plowboy
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
TOY Champ = Tuffy? :twisted:

pat
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Hope I can squeeze this one into the budget as well! Have the go ahead for one, will try for another with the wife!

HoDeDo
12-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I will be at Winter Funfest, but sounds like a great plan. I will look for round two!

ThomEmery
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
the date is due to the start of the BBQ season. It could also be February 26th weekend, but I was planning on going to Havasu. This second instructor (which I don't want to announce until this is for sure) is a can't miss! I am honored that he would help me and my foundation out to try and raise monies for cancer research.

I realize that the comp season basically starts on 2/26 and then it's every weekend until December.... Can we make everyone happy? Probably not. But the opportunity just seemed like a nice way to teach some BBQ, which I enjoy doing anyway and raise monies for my cause.

I also want everyone to know that I won't make a dime from this. So I am not jumping on the class bandwagon to make my millions!!! :wink:

We would be interested in Mid Feb
The 26th I was planing on cooking Havasu with you

Jacked UP BBQ
12-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Sounds like a great idea and great cause. Maybe a little pricey for some, but a great cause if you have the funds. I may come out. I have a love hate relationship with Chicago.

ThomEmery
12-08-2009, 01:30 PM
How many in the class?

Scottie
12-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Thom, I'd rather keep it smaller in size. We could probably handle 40, buit I don't want to go that large. I'd rather everyone get some hands on...

Matt, as for price, I was vetoed on it. It would probably be a tax deduction, but I have that question to a tax attorney for clarification... So you can get the best of both worlds...

ThomEmery
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
At worst it would be a partial deduction
Would be my bet

monty3777
12-08-2009, 01:49 PM
If I misspoke about the deduction part, sorry! My mom wanted me to be a lawyer, but I became a theologian instead. So, anything I say about taxes is Bovine Scatology!

Spydermike72
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I will be watching this thread carefully...

Smokin' Joe
12-08-2009, 02:13 PM
I would seriously consider it if it ends up being a weekend other than 2/19-20

Oh and by the way 2/5-6 works best for me :mrgreen::mrgreen:

goodsmokebbq
12-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Hmmm, checking calendar...

Muzzlebrake
12-08-2009, 02:30 PM
boy am I going to catch hell for this, (but hey its not the first or last time)
I think its too cheap. I think that if you look around at your peers you will find that is the low end the price range. You're a champion teaching an advanced class to a select group of highly skilled people. Take a look around at your peer group teaching similar classes and I think you will find that it is underpriced with one instructor never mind 2 champion instructors.

If you look further at some classes like those @ the Broadmoor or Greenbrier and your class is a cut rate bargain at twice the price

ThomEmery
12-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Underpriced if the number of students is very limited
at 40 plus wives it is ball park

Brew-B-Q
12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd be interested in this. 2/20 works for me. Price sounds right to me.

monty3777
12-08-2009, 03:47 PM
What if the class were a few weeks earlier? Perhaps January 29-30 or Feb 5-6? Scottie indicated that the date could be flexible. I suppose this is gonna be a bit of a communal effort to make it happen! :)

Ron_L
12-08-2009, 03:51 PM
I would be interested. Do we know when the Elk grove Winter Burnoff will be held yet?

ThomEmery
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
What if the class were a few weeks earlier? Perhaps January 29-30 or Feb 5-6? Scottie indicated that the date could be flexible. I suppose this is gonna be a bit of a communal effort to make it happen! :)

Feb 7 would be the date of the Super Bowl
Thats a national holiday for cooks :)

Buster Dog BBQ
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
The 30th is the IBS Banquet. But you guys control the date. There will always be a conflict.

Scottie
12-08-2009, 04:17 PM
DesPlaines? That is usually the end of February...

I would be interested. Do we know when the Elk grove Winter Burnoff will be held yet?

Well, looks like I may have to do some work tonight and see if I can finalize some things. I was only pushing it later in February for planning et al. So I am flexible. I want to be able to go to Havasu at the end of the month, so I can lay claim to my or should I say Thom's FE again!!! :twisted: So I am really thinking 2/12 could even work. As I really wanted to go to the Kookers Kare event on 2/20. So I iwll figure it out...

I can't wait to make the announcement. The "guest" instructor will be exciting... Is that enough of a tease? :cool:

Ron_L
12-08-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, i meant Des Plaines! Brain cramp! I guess jet lag is setting in finally :)

bbqczar
12-08-2009, 04:24 PM
Will the class be held in Phoenix due to the great weather :-D

Squeeze
12-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I would be interested as well! Sounds like a good time for a great cause!

douglaslizard
12-08-2009, 04:33 PM
i would love to go but as it is my vacations dont start until march or april,maybe if you have another next year.

Scottie
12-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Will the class be held in Phoenix due to the great weather :-D

I was thinking Vegas.... that's how me and Tiger roll....

indianagriller
12-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Sounds like a great class, im in just set the date.

butt head
12-08-2009, 04:59 PM
i'll looking to take a class. the dates above would work and the fact that the money go's to a good couse is a plus. let me know when this is set.

Rich Parker
12-08-2009, 06:02 PM
What a great idea!

I don't even compete but I will spend the money on the class. I will get to sample a lot of Q right? :cool:

Bones
12-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I am in. Set the dates as I am open all month at this time. I need to get it on the calender before it fills up.

Thanks and looking forward to it.

Chris

ThomEmery
12-09-2009, 08:06 AM
I was thinking Vegas.... that's how me and Tiger roll....

Vegas Yes Sir Buddy
That would work
Tiger may not be the best cat to copy right now

Jacked UP BBQ
12-09-2009, 08:33 AM
boy am I going to catch hell for this, (but hey its not the first or last time)
I think its too cheap. I think that if you look around at your peers you will find that is the low end the price range. You're a champion teaching an advanced class to a select group of highly skilled people. Take a look around at your peer group teaching similar classes and I think you will find that it is underpriced with one instructor never mind 2 champion instructors.

If you look further at some classes like those @ the Broadmoor or Greenbrier and your class is a cut rate bargain at twice the price

I was basing the price on the class expense over in this area. IQUE class was 200 I think when I went. $500.00 plus travel expenses you are looking at a 2k weekend plus. I know some of the guys out there charge 750-1000. That is a lot of money to see what some show. Plowboy is doing a class for 300 I think??? Butcher and Fast Eddy did a class also, not sure what they charged but that was under 500 I believe?

Making it a fund raiser for cancer research in the Chicago area makes it worth it. My mother died in chicago at the Diamond clinic where she use to go every other month for testing.

widespread
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm in... any weekend except SB weekend works for me.

Jacked UP BBQ
12-09-2009, 11:49 AM
Vegas Yes Sir Buddy
That would work
Tiger may not be the best cat to copy right now

he's the man:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

monty3777
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Here's what I have so far: (correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes:
ThomEmery
Buster Dog
widespread
bones
Rich Parker
butt_head
indianagriller
Brew-b-q
squeeze
me
Jeff (from Holy and Oly's)

Maybe:
smokin joe (date)
goodsmokebbq
Ron_L
KC Bobby (date)
Plowbow (date)
Gratefulsmoker (date)
Pat (wife) :)
O.C. Pig Assassin

Looks promising!

monty3777
12-09-2009, 01:11 PM
BTW, I posted something similar to this on the BBQ Forum - one person indicated that he would like to come - then the post and follow-up posts were deleted (along with my query about why the post was deleted). Does anyone know who that person was??

Buster Dog BBQ
12-09-2009, 01:21 PM
You can add me to that list Nate

monty3777
12-09-2009, 01:33 PM
You can add me to that list Nate

Done!

Plowboy
12-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Some people may not want known that they are attending the class. Sounds funny to me, but that was the subject of a thread sometime ago. May want to keep the attendee list off of the boards in case someone is concerned about that.

monty3777
12-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Some people may not want known that they are attending the class. Sounds funny to me, but that was the subject of a thread sometime ago. May want to keep the attendee list off of the boards in case someone is concerned about that.

Good point. At this time I'll only list those who have indicated on the thread itself that they would like to come. Hopefully we'll have something put together soon that will allow people to officially register.

ThomEmery
12-09-2009, 02:47 PM
Add me to the list if the final date works

toys4dlr
12-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Hey Scottie, Sounds great to mef the dates work I would like to attend. If you make the location Phoenix (due to the great weather) I can find you several FEC's to use. Maybe even a FEC 500.

yelonutz
12-09-2009, 11:57 PM
ROADTRIP!!! Take the train from Sacramento straight thru to Chi town, See some of the greatest scenery going thru the great divide and then learning BBQ. Whats to loose? Pencil me in Scotty.

NUTZ

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Add me to that maybe list. very interested, would just have to nail down the travel.

monty3777
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Yes:
yelonutz
ThomEmery
Buster Dog
widespread
bones
Rich Parker
butt_head
indianagriller
Brew-b-q
squeeze
me
Jeff (from Holy and Oly's)

Maybe:
smokin joe (date)
goodsmokebbq
Ron_L
KC Bobby (date)
Plowbow (date)
Gratefulsmoker (date)
Pat (wife) :)
O.C. Pig Assassin
Dan - 3eyezbbq
toys4dlr (date)

This means we've already raised ~ $6000 if all goes as planned - with the potential for $11,000 so far.

bbqczar
12-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Hey Scottie, Sounds great to mef the dates work I would like to attend. If you make the location Phoenix (due to the great weather) I can find you several FEC's to use. Maybe even a FEC 500.

I agree Dave, Phoenix would have the best weather for a class like this :-D We could round up about 25 smokers for the class :-D In all seriousness though,wouldn't,or couldn't weather be very bad in febuary in Chicago ,or at least pretty cold ?

Rich Parker
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree Dave, Phoenix would have the best weather for a class like this :-D We could round up about 25 smokers for the class :-D In all seriousness though,wouldn't,or couldn't weather be very bad in febuary in Chicago ,or at least pretty cold ?

The temp in Chicago averages about 25 in Feb so you should be good. :cool:

Scottie
12-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Sorry for any delay. I've received approval from the park district president. It's going to the board tonight, along with approval for the Westmont BBQ contest. So while not official, I would say all engines are a go.

When it happens, I will make an announcement. I have some loose ends to do, but can at least get a sign-up going. Probably limit the class size too. Will make for that ebay bidding that much better!!! (Wish I could do smiley faces on this dumb BB!!!!)

So the date would be 2/19-2/20. I'll hook up with one hotel and also list others if you don't like my choice. We also have a Marriott.

The guest instructor is also excited, so it should be cool. I'll for sure let those that have responded on here get first crack at spots though.

On a side note. Nate (Monty) who started this whole push has been counseling a woman who was battling cancer. She lost her fight, so prayers go out to her family and to Nate for being there. This is why I do this, is to try and hekp those.

Thanks all. It's pretty humbling and also inspirational for me. Especially at this time of year, when I get pretty blue. This was my Corliss' favorite time of year.

Cancer Sucks!

Scottie

Plowboy
12-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Best of luck, man!

Lion Bout The Q
12-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I sure would be interested in that date.Plus an excuse to stop and see my relatives in downers grove and naperville...

White Dog BBQ
12-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Please put me down as a possible. I may have some frequent flier miles to get to Chi-town (or maybe I can talk Dan into a carpool).
Erik

Dan - 3eyzbbq
12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I'll put up with you if you pay the gas Erik :-P

goodsmokebbq
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Unfortunately, Good Smoke will not be able to make that date. My daughters birthdays are 2/20 and 2/21 and we are having some folks in from out of town. Best of luck and put me on the list for the next one!

butt head
12-11-2009, 02:31 PM
same here. can't do 19th/ 20th. :evil:

Scottie
12-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Define cold? You boys are probably running around with winter coats on now and it's 60 degrees in AZ.... :eek:

You never know. Maybe I could do one in AZ.... :roll:

Stay warm Tim!!! lol

toys4dlr
12-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Bought a portable heater to keep warm at Ryan's Baseball games. it gets down into the 40's at night. BRRRRRR

Scottie
12-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Bought a portable heater to keep warm at Ryan's Baseball games. it gets down into the 40's at night. BRRRRRR

Yeah, my friends have had their fireplace on already... She was actually getting cold looking up at the Catalina Mountains by her house and there is snow up there....

ThomEmery
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I doubt I can travel there then the next weekend go to Havasu

Big Ugly's BBQ
12-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I would also be interested, depending dates. Always looking for ways to improve.

toys4dlr
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
Scottie, I will admit my blood thins out here and cold is 50 or less.

So, when you coming out. I can get you a FEC if you need it for your class.

trohrs123
12-12-2009, 11:36 PM
has this class been finalized yet?...sign me up!!!

Bones
12-14-2009, 09:10 AM
How are the details coming. Getting close to the full announcement?

Scottie
12-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Chris, as with most things. It's tied up in the attorneys hands... :roll:

I've got most of the details all worked out, the location, date and time. I just want to make sure on the 501c(3) part and make sure that folks get full credit for their donation.

If I get it done, it will be announced here.

Thanks