PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Class Plowboys BBQ Class

Plowboy
12-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Announcing our first ever Plowboys BBQ Class. The goals of the class are to make an already good "at home" cook a great cook and to give the competitor insights into how we approach KCBS cook offs. We'll cover our contest ribs, pork and brisket. This is a hands on class. Students will be doing all cuts in small groups except for the prime rib. I'll be covering recipes, cooking temperatures, wood species used, and final cook temps for each cut.

When: Saturday, March 27th
Where: Blue Springs, MO
Cost: $300 per student
Topics: Brisket (w/burnt ends), Pork Butt, Spare Ribs, Baby Back Ribs, chicken, and Prime Rib

Equipment: FEC-500, FEC-100, Big Green Egg

Students get one Cook's Pass and one VIP pass. The Cook's Pass is an all access pass for the entire day. The VIP pass can be given to a spouse, friend, or family member to join us after the class for a party with live music and all of the food we've prepared in class.

Each student will receive one of every product we sell, Slabs Sauce, Blues Hog Sauces, Butcher BBQ injections, and other products that we use.

To sign up, send your contact information to Todd@plowboysbbq.com. I'll reply and let you know if space is available.

Diva Q
12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I wish I could make it to this class. Its going to be great. I have no doubt.

Plowboy
12-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I've been asked how much this will benefit the competition cook. Well, I can't say for sure because each person is different. However, if you are a pellet cook and cooking on an FEC-100... I think you'll get a lot.

I'm holding back on two things: my pork injection (which isn't that big of a deal if you use Butchers. What I use is also phosphate based. It is not a retail product.) and just one ingredient in my brisket marinade. Other than that, I'm giving up everything else and will be showing my boxes.

Finney
12-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Well, It's in pencil on my calender.

Butcher BBQ
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Folks I wish I didn't have something already slated for that weekend. I will say that if your free and feel like you need that little edge to get you over the top this is one I would be going.

ThomEmery
12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
check your email

Rub
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Who's got cheap flights into KC?

ThomEmery
12-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Southwest

Redheart
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Who's got cheap flights into KC?
Airtran dude! I flew them in and outta KC like crazy last year. Gonna have to see if I can budget another trip in for the class.

Rub
12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Not cheap enough, $350 :evil:

AirTran is a little cheaper - $277. Still no bargain...

FatDaddy
12-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Wish it was the week before. I may be coming up to KC for a week with my wife while she attends a conference. Ill have several days of bumming around by myself while she is in meetings. The week of the 16th. Ill be on spring break that week.

ThomEmery
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
southwest was 218 out of LA

BBQ Grail
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
I might consider coming out for the class if Michael were the teacher!

Sledneck
12-06-2009, 10:01 PM
How about a northeast class? Hodedo will most likely have a residence in 2010 up around here you can crash at

HoDeDo
12-06-2009, 11:27 PM
HoDeDo will be in kitchen for this class...:twisted: I can't wait. Having helped an event with Todd at his church, and Todd helped me with a Que 101 for the Life Grillers crew -- I can't wait to help out. This is going to be one for the books folks.

Sled, I have not found a gig up there yet, and Laura has not said we can live in the theatre room off the deck, are you going to have the addition done in 2010 for us??

But... you never know what I will be able to talk him into... I mean, Eric has already cleared room out for my East coast trailer at his shop. :twisted:.

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 12:00 AM
One step at a time, but there is some talk of a potential NE/Mid Atlantic class if this goes well.

Double D's BBQ
12-07-2009, 06:08 AM
Todd, I just sent you an email to reserve my place in your class. Looking forward to it!

Dallas

Diva
12-07-2009, 07:30 AM
If someone has an extra VIP pass, I wouldn't mind boogying to the band, enjoying a refreshment and sampling the wares....JUST putting it out there.

KC_Bobby
12-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Todd, will your FEC's be available after class for $2700? :twisted:

BTW, Jorge send me home with something to give to you - it's in my freezer.

Alexa RnQ
12-07-2009, 09:17 AM
You are killing me. The only comp we've got in March is THAT weekend.
You know I want to be there, though!!!

Muzzlebrake
12-07-2009, 10:19 AM
If someone has an extra VIP pass, I wouldn't mind boogying to the band, enjoying a refreshment and sampling the wares....JUST putting it out there.

well hello there.......:cool:

GreasePig
12-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Checking the calendar! I'd love to come for this!

DMDon
12-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I've been asked how much this will benefit the competition cook. Well, I can't say for sure because each person is different. However, if you are a pellet cook and cooking on an FEC-100... I think you'll get a lot.

I'm holding back on two things: my pork injection (which isn't that big of a deal if you use Butchers. What I use is also phosphate based. It is not a retail product.) and just one ingredient in my brisket marinade. Other than that, I'm giving up everything else and will be showing my boxes.

The real question is, Will you be revealing what you are hiding under that crown? My guess is a couple squirrels or an aged brisket.

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 11:22 AM
The real question is, Will you be revealing what you are hiding under that crown? My guess is a couple squirrels or an aged brisket.

A melon sized head.

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM
The other topic we'll be covering is catering. As we talk about meats, we'll be talking about yields, holding, serving, reheating and what we may do differently for mass quantities.

Forgot to mention that earlier.

smoke showin'
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey Rub will take my wife's camary we can make it in 16hrs.

txschutte
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Checking to make sure that Mrs tx is OK with it....

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Checking to make sure that Mrs tx is OK with it....

Tell her I'll give you a money back guarantee that your brisket improves. :lol:

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm working on a hotel deal for those coming from out of town.

GratefulSmoker
12-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Sounds great Todd! Just sent you an email....

Sledneck
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM

I'm holding back on two things: my pork injection (which isn't that big of a deal if you use Butchers. What I use is also phosphate based. It is not a retail product.) and just one ingredient in my brisket marinade. Other than that, I'm giving up everything else and will be showing my boxes. Does that one brisket ingredient make that big a difference? Appreciate your honesty yhough about holding back, I wonder of others do

douglaslizard
12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey Rub will take my wife's camary we can make it in 16hrs.

stop by here and pick me up and we can go in 3 ways on it.

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Does that one brisket ingredient make that big a difference? Appreciate your honesty yhough about holding back, I wonder of others do

I've said that this isn't 100% tell all and what exactly I'm holding back. Does the one ingredient make a difference, I think so or I wouldn't be doing it. Is it the ONLY factor in my brisket product, absolutely not.

I don't know how to answer your question better than that. Each student will be at a different level starting out. What is taken away from the class will be different for each person. My job is to impart what I know in a fun way. I think we have a good package at a good price compared to other classes out there.

BBQ Bandit
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
One step at a time, but there is some talk of a potential NE/Mid Atlantic class if this goes well.

Heck yes!!!!

Scottie
12-07-2009, 03:14 PM
I think we have a good package at a good price compared to other classes out there.

Plowboy has a nice package... :twisted:

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Plowboy has a nice package...

See, we are even endorsed by Jack Daniels World Champions like Scottie Johnson. Thanks, Scottie! You rock!

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

douglaslizard
12-07-2009, 03:32 PM
See, we are even endorsed by Jack Daniels World Champions like Scottie Johnson. Thanks, Scottie! You rock!

so scottie is endorsing your package huh.

Scottie
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM

but.... No pictures... didin't happen!!!!

Come to think of it. Sorta glad you don't have pictures!!! :shock:

GratefulSmoker
12-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Plowboy has a nice package... :twisted:

Please stop, or my wife will want to come to..... :shock::lol:

HoDeDo
12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
< with security suit and ear piece>
Hey buddy, Don't touch the merchandise!!!!

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 04:17 PM

I wonder if the couple from the State Dinner will try and show up. We may need Jorge on detail.

Sledneck
12-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey buddy, got any toilet paper?

HoDeDo
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Hey buddy, got any toilet paper?
That is a different class...:twisted:

Rich Parker
12-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder if the couple from the State Dinner will try and show up. We may need Jorge on detail.

Hugh has been missing for a while so you never know.

SloppyQ
12-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Where are you holding class at Todd, from the sounds of things you will need a big venue ( maybe the Elks ). If you need extra security, just say'n

Plowboy
12-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Where are you holding class at Todd, from the sounds of things you will need a big venue ( maybe the Elks ). If you need extra security, just say'n

At my church. Great facility. We'll have a coffee house for meals and the sanctuary with two 10' video screens, sound booth, and full AV capabilities. We'll have microphones so everyone can hear and at least one video camera so everyone can see on the 10' screens. No detail will be missed.

trohrs123
12-08-2009, 05:24 AM
signed up, airfare paid...cant wait...thanks:-D

WannaBeBBQueen
12-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I wanna go! gonna see what I can work out.

The_Kapn
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Todd,

Great value and I am sure it will be most informative!
I bet you fill up in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

TIM

Exe-que-tioner
12-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Will you be touching on chicken at all? What time will the class start/end? Gonna note it on the calendar, just might have to make it if I can. Sounds like a good time!

Big B
12-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Wish I could make it! I could definitely use a "competitive edge"

Plowboy
12-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Will you be touching on chicken at all? What time will the class start/end? Gonna note it on the calendar, just might have to make it if I can. Sounds like a good time!

We'll probably start around 6-7a. We'll talk about chicken.

WannaBeBBQueen
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
this is a one day class?

Plowboy
12-08-2009, 08:51 PM
One day

Jorge
12-14-2009, 09:45 AM
I know that I can learn something from anybody. I've probably spent about 5 days cooking with Todd this year and learned a lot. Beyond the list of ingredients he will give you I'd suggest you pay attention to his process and listen when he talks about why he does things.

BrisketBelly
12-14-2009, 06:34 PM
If you decide to do an East Coast class, I would certainly be interested. With a new baby on board, I can't get away too far just yet.

JD McGee
12-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Good luck with the class Todd...I'm sure a lot of fine folks are gonna up their game plan this season with your help! :-P

Butcher BBQ
12-14-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm really sorry I can't make it. Knowing Todd I would promise you he will give a beginner cook the right tools to get started on cooking and at the same time give the seasoned cook ways and insights on the winning ways.

Candy Sue
12-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Me, too, David! This has got to be a good un!

ThomEmery
12-14-2009, 09:05 PM
My Daughter turns 21 that weekend
She was promised a trip to Vegas
a few years back for that day

jpouchman
12-14-2009, 09:11 PM
Todd, how far of a drive from Chicago? Jeff

Plowboy
12-14-2009, 09:45 PM
Todd, how far of a drive from Chicago? Jeff

8 hours

Finney
12-15-2009, 05:38 AM
My Daughter turns 21 that weekend
She was promised a trip to Vegas
a few years back for that day

Put her on a bus..... LOL

Just joking Thom.

Capn Kev
12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm booked for the class, and really looking forward to it! I'm foregoing Rio Rancho, NM and heading East for the opportunity! :-D

Plowboy
12-15-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm booked for the class, and really looking forward to it! I'm foregoing Rio Rancho, NM and heading East for the opportunity! :-D

I'm truly honored. We're going to have a great time. I know I'm looking forward to it.

swamprb
12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Any chance of a Plowboy Nation Left Coast tour?

Plowboy
12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Any chance of a Plowboy Nation Left Coast tour?

I'd love to do a Seattle course. My dad lives in Des Moines, WA.

When is it NOT raining. I'll be there that week. :wink:

bottomsupbbq
12-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Fantastic shall we plan for something in August? :-D

ThomEmery
12-15-2009, 07:25 PM
That would be GREAT August in Seattle
We lived in Monroe a few years back
I would love to see that area once more

bigdogphin
12-15-2009, 08:25 PM

That class would be mighty popular.

NorthwestBBQ
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
That would be GREAT August in Seattle
We lived in Monroe a few years back
I would love to see that area once more

Still looks great...:-D

NorthwestBBQ
12-15-2009, 08:50 PM

I would be the first one in line! Come to Seattle, Todd! :-D

GratefulSmoker
12-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I have family in Seattle, I know they would show up for sure. Probably at least 6 people.....and of course I would probably have to fly out for another one haha....

swamprb
12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
It'll have to be a weekday class then-August is the BBQ month here!

JD McGee
12-15-2009, 09:39 PM
It'll have to be a weekday class then-August is the BBQ month here!

I vote for Friday, August 20th...we should have our FEC100 by then and you can teach us everything we need to know before the "1st Annual Duvall BBQ Competition / Chili Cookoff / Dutch Oven / Blues Band Battle / Classic Car / Classic Bike Show Extravaganza" begins the next day! :-P

ThomEmery
12-15-2009, 09:47 PM
You may want one weekend to practice :)

Plowboy
12-16-2009, 10:02 AM
I vote for Friday, August 20th...we should have our FEC100 by then and you can teach us everything we need to know before the "1st Annual Duvall BBQ Competition / Chili Cookoff / Dutch Oven / Blues Band Battle / Classic Car / Classic Bike Show Extravaganza" begins the next day! :-P

Wow, only thing missing in that lineup is a wet T-Shirt contest.

JD McGee
12-16-2009, 12:02 PM
Wow, only thing missing in that lineup is a wet T-Shirt contest.

I forgot to mention the Beer Garden...:lol::lol::lol: The main event organizer is a member of the local Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, Classic Car Club, Classic Motorcycle Club, and is nuts about Blues Bands and BBQ...if all goes according to Hoyle...it will be a killer event for sure! :-P

We are having a kick off party at my place the 16th of January for all the key players..."Team Left Hand Smoke" will be serving up some award winning BBQ as well. I'm sure there will be a little "Bovine Bold" and "Yardbird" rub in the mix somewhere...:wink:

If you're in the area visiting family you are more than welcome to stop by for a cold one...or two...you might even like your rubs a little better the "Left Hand Smoke" way...:twisted:

Plowboy
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I forgot to mention the Beer Garden...:lol::lol::lol: The main event organizer is a member of the local Rotary, Chamber of Commerce, Classic Car Club, Classic Motorcycle Club, and is nuts about Blues Bands and BBQ...if all goes according to Hoyle...it will be a killer event for sure! :-P

We are having a kick off party at my place the 16th of January for all the key players..."Team Left Hand Smoke" will be serving up some award winning BBQ as well. I'm sure there will be a little "Bovine Bold" and "Yardbird" rub in the mix somewhere...:wink:

If you're in the area visiting family you are more than welcome to stop by for a cold one...or two...you might even like your rubs a little better the "Left Hand Smoke" way...:twisted:

I may just come compete against you. :twisted:

JD McGee
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM
I may just come compete against you. :twisted:

Oooohhh...let the smack talk begin!!! Bring it on big boy...we'll whoop ya good with your own products! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Muzzlebrake
12-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Todd,

Do you have a syllabus for the class yet? I was also wondering if there was going to be a display of Cookshack products other than the FEC's at the class. I would really like to play around with some of the other products they have (like the Q-kitchen).

Plowboy
12-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Todd,

Do you have a syllabus for the class yet? I was also wondering if there was going to be a display of Cookshack products other than the FEC's at the class. I would really like to play around with some of the other products they have (like the Q-kitchen).

I'm working on that, the badges, confirmation letters, and course book over the holidays. Plan is to have letters out to paid students after first of the year.

I'll see about getting one of Eddy's grills there. I'm sure we can do that. Is anyone interested in looking at the Cookshack Electric cookers? If Cookshack had a demo model, we could see about have that available.

MrSmoker
12-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I would love take this course even If I don't compete anymore, I spent a few hours with Todd at Pulte and was impressed with his skills and knowledge.

trohrs123
12-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm working on that, the badges, confirmation letters, and course book over the holidays. Plan is to have letters out to paid students after first of the year.

I'll see about getting one of Eddy's grills there. I'm sure we can do that. Is anyone interested in looking at the Cookshack Electric cookers? If Cookshack had a demo model, we could see about have that available.

any chance of purchasing FEC at course possibly w a discount?:-D

Sledneck
12-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Todd,

Do you have a syllabus for the class yet? I was also wondering if there was going to be a display of Cookshack products other than the FEC's at the class. I would really like to play around with some of the other products they have (like the Q-kitchen).Here ya go. Very nice of Todd to provide transportation

Plowboy
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
any chance of purchasing FEC at course possibly w a discount?:-D

:rolleyes:

U2CANQUE
12-28-2009, 11:18 PM
check went out today Todd.....looking forward to the hospitality out that way....even got the confirmation that I am second in line for the KS rotation....so may have to hit a couple comps out that way....just to return to Griswalds Vacation trip to NY...

tmcmaster
12-29-2009, 12:11 AM
I would, if you I were closer... Going to be a good class for sure.

Capn Kev
01-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm working on a hotel deal for those coming from out of town.

Todd, any updates on the potential hotel discounts?

This Is How We Que It
01-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I vote for Friday, August 20th...we should have our FEC100 by then and you can teach us everything we need to know ! :-P

Won't the season be winding down about this time?

SmokinOkie
01-09-2010, 08:50 AM
... a money back guarantee that your brisket improves. :lol:

Promise?

Oh, and if you need extra security, I have Secret Service Training & Clearance and a Weapon permit. Sounds like you'll need it.

Butcher BBQ
01-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Promise?

Oh, and if you need extra security, I have Secret Service Training & Clearance and a Weapon permit. Sounds like you'll need it.

Hey, your tough enough. We don't need you going up there and picking up tips from him.:-D

SmokinOkie
01-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey, your tough enough. We don't need you going up there and picking up tips from him.:-D

Uh, who said I'm going? Oh, and I'm just along as Security :icon_shy