PDA

View Full Version : Who's gonna win KCBS TOY

DMDon
12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
While I have GREAT respect for for Pellet Envy and ISS, I'm going to have to go with Iowa Smokey D's. My friendship with Darren goes back 25 years, since we were both freshman in college. At that time he fancied himself as a stud golfer. I know this year he even took a weekend off for his daughter's senior year homecoming.

Whoever wins, will have really earned it. Any chances there could be a tie with 2 or more teams?
Who do you think will win it?

AzQer
12-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Im not sure who will win but Im sure glad I will be there should be an awesome comp. for sure

BBQ_Mayor
12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
It sure is fun watching and awaiting the BBQ battle these top teams have between them. Both are well desevered of the TOY but if I have to chose, I'd go with Iowas Smokey D's. Home town favorite, Iowa BBQ society member, mentor and friend.

Good luck Darren.

ThomEmery
12-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I will try to post videos from the contest on my site
There should be 3G in Tempe

Buster Dog BBQ
12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
I know Rod and Darren and have the utmost respect for both of them and am proud to call them friends. I hate to have to choose one. The race has been exciting, but Darren sure has a knack for flying into a contest, picking meat up on the way there, and winning while cooking on borrowed cookers. For that I would give him the edge.

Scottie
12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
One of my good friends will win it. I can guarantee you that!!!! ;)

I would find it funny if Clone wins TOY, but he can't do it in Iowa!!!!

Ron_L
12-02-2009, 08:19 AM
All three are great cooks and any of them would deserve the win. If forced to choose I guess I would pick Iowa Smokey D's. That way I can say that we were beat by the TOY champ at Shannon this year :-D

Jorge
12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure that I can pick just one. Whoever it is, will be deserving! Best of luck to everyone competing!

DMDon
12-02-2009, 08:39 AM
One of my good friends will win it. I can guarantee you that!!!! ;)

I would find it funny if Clone wins TOY, but he can't do it in Iowa!!!!

Is that a jab? :wink: That will get him all fired up. What kills him in the Iowa contests is, he trys to do too much at the same time. Its not uncommon for him to make 2 or more trips from Des Moines to the contest and back, while vending, catering and competing all at the same time. Good thing Sherry is really the brains, I'll bet she could hold her own, if she did a comp without him.

KC_Bobby
12-02-2009, 08:42 AM
What's the count on teams? Is it enough for Steve to make the trip?

Jorge
12-02-2009, 08:50 AM
What's the count on teams? Is it enough for Steve to make the trip?

32 confirmed, with several more expected. Steve needs 33 I believe...but he's listed as confirmed for the contest.

Skip
12-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Well being an upeaster here I will throw my vote to ISS!!!. I have heard a lot of good things about Rod and Darren and look forward to meeting them some day. Steve and company, however, are quite familiar to me and are great people one and all. I'm crossing my fingers for them and wish them all the luck I can muster.

ique
12-02-2009, 09:13 AM
It will come down to a Brisket call :eek:

Good luck Steve, Rod, Darren

Alexa RnQ
12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm just happy to have a front-row seat to watch it all go down in real time.

Good luck to all!

musicmanryann
12-02-2009, 09:26 AM
What if they all three tied for the GC and it came down to a coin flip? That would be interesting...:twisted:

Good luck to all three! I wouldn't be comfortable putting money down on any of them.

Scottie
12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Is that a jab? :wink: That will get him all fired up. What kills him in the Iowa contests is, he trys to do too much at the same time. Its not uncommon for him to make 2 or more trips from Des Moines to the contest and back, while vending, catering and competing all at the same time. Good thing Sherry is really the brains, I'll bet she could hold her own, if she did a comp without him.

Let's face it. Clone owned Iowa for many years in a row. I just wish you guys would take him back!!! :twisted:

Jorge
12-02-2009, 09:40 AM
Let's face it. Clone owned Iowa for many years in a row. I just wish you guys would take him back!!! :twisted:

Now, that's funny!

Jacked UP BBQ
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
I vote for the Northeast. Bring it home steve and crew. Well deserved to all.

KC_Bobby
12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Being a midwest boy, I gotta cheer on a midwest team.
Darren is a Cyclone, Rod is a Jayhawk fan ... oh brother - being as I hate the Jayhawks, this leaves me no choice but to root for Darren.

Steve ... how do you feel about the Missouri Tigers?

Jeff_in_KC
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Whatever way it turns out, this is just cool as heck the way it's all being settled this year! It's great they all are willing and able to go to Arizona to settle this (kinda like the gunfight at the OK Corral! :lol: ). If it was me (LMAO... as if!!), I'd be out of cash and no time to go to Arizona this weekend, as I'm sure a lot of others might have been.

While I've only actually officially met Darren once (at The Jack), I know his reputation and that he's very respected. I know Rod and Steve both. They are just as respected for what they do. So I'd never throw my hat in any direction but instead, wish everyone the best of luck in Arizona and thank you guys for making this so fun for all of us to watch! I hope it truly does come down to a brisket call. I hear Steve already has a brisket for Darren! At least he said so on BBQ Central! :lol:

Scottie
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
That was a good politico response Jeff.... :roll:

Jeff_in_KC
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
That was a good politico response Jeff.... :roll:

Actually, Scottie, I would have said the same thing regardless of what I'm involved in. I like Rod and Steve both and have friends who are close to each. I recently was introduced to Darren in Lynchburg and he was exactly the great guy I always heard he was. So I wouldn't want take away from what any of them have accomplished in making this a kick arse race to the finish line!

Plowboy
12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
It will come down to a Brisket call :eek:

Good luck Steve, Rod, Darren

I got your brisket call right here. :wink:

Scottie
12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Actually, Scottie, I would have said the same thing regardless of what I'm involved in. I like Rod and Steve both and have friends who are close to each. I recently was introduced to Darren in Lynchburg and he was exactly the great guy I always heard he was. So I wouldn't want take away from what any of them have accomplished in making this a kick arse race to the finish line!

Well, I am in the same boat. As all 3 of these guys are my buds... I can't come out and root for one over another. Just wouldn't be right. It would be nice if they all could win. I know I wish I was there! Can't say I would want to be having to do what they are doing driving all over the country. That is over-rated!!! :wink:

Jorge
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Does Clone have his lucky runner this weekend? That could be a deciding factor.....

Plowboy
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, I am in the same boat. As all 3 of these guys are my buds... I can't come out and root for one over another. Just wouldn't be right. It would be nice if they all could win. I know I wish I was there! Can't say I would want to be having to do what they are doing driving all over the country. That is over-rated!!! :wink:

You got that right. I don't envy them, but I do enjoy watching the blood lust. This is what KCBS needs... an exciting race to the finish. The fact that there are three of them in it with GC's each in their last three contests is awesome. No one can argue that all three are at the very, very top of the game with only a small, small handful in the same league. To me, the results are proof that TOY works. No one can say that these three guys aren't among the very, very best and don't deserve to be there.

What they are doing also proves that no matter what the TOY system, you have to work for it, travel for it, pay for it, and earn it. Rod and Darrin have more contests in their area than they could ever attend. They could each do 40 contests a year and not travel more than 2-3 hours away. Yet Rod has probably put on more miles this year than probably anyone in BBQ.

Let's not forget Steve's 40 hour drive home. OMFG!!

Plowboy
12-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Does Clone have his lucky runner this weekend? That could be a deciding factor.....

Oooo baby! Plowboy likes. He likes very much.

Scottie
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM

He sure does. His wife is going with him..... :icon_shy

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
12-02-2009, 11:56 AM
I gotta pull for ISS, Steve has been kinda my neighbor at NewHolland since I started a couple of years ago and has always been cool to me. Im sure the others are great people as well, just gotta go with who I know..

watg?
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM
I wish the cameras were rolling this weekend out in AZ. Would be great to see a live feed from the contest all weekend, I know I'd be watching. And I know I'll be glued to my monitor Saturday evening.
Good luck and safe travels to all that are going.
Me, I'm pullin for that Yankee fellow.:-P

Ford
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Well I know all 3 of them. I've cooked against them been in classes with them and had good times when they are around. All 3 will be a great TOY champion and will support the KCBS in 2010 as the champion. I'd say the Rod has the edge being ahead today but anybody could take GC this weekend including all 30+ teams. Good luck to all.

And one other thing about these 3 individuals - if you look up competitive or driven to win you'll find their picture. 3 very different individuals but peas in a pod when it comes to winning.

The Anchorman
12-02-2009, 01:19 PM
:-D I Smell Smoke!, heck thats all I ever heard. That was usually after we got our call up.:-D

Go get em Steve and Crew!

goodsmokebbq
12-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Iss! Iss!

Bones
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I only know Iowa Smokey D's and will have to go with him. I will have to go along with Ron on this one, if he wins I can say I was beat buy the TOY.

Meat@Slim's
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Gotta pull for the Beast from the East: ISS!

Best to all three teams!

Can someone post a link to info about how TOY is determined? (Newbie question I know.)

Candy Sue
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
This is one of the best bbq races I've ever seen! I'm lucky to call all three friends and customers. I'd say the odds are on Rod, especially if he leaves right after brisket turn in... Both Steve and Darren would have to GC to pull ahead, but Rod maybe only has to get a top 5 overall. Depends on if the judges like pellets! Maybe Rod should toss some in the Geer firebox just to get the "right" wood flavor!

Vince RnQ
12-03-2009, 12:55 AM
I may be mistaken but I think that Rod wins as long as neither Darren nor Steve GC. Based on that, I'd put my money on Rod to be the winner of this year's KCBS ToY race.

C-Town Smoker
12-03-2009, 05:25 AM
I asked Darren and Steve on Tuesday night if they felt more pressure than usual since one of them needs to win GC in order to overtake Rod...they both said all the pressure was squarely on Rod's shoulders. Now, seeing as Rod wins TOTY if neither of them win GC I don't see how there isn't more pressure on ISD and ISS...but WTF do I know!

All 3 of them are accessible, honest and tell it like it is! I appreciate that more than anything!

BogsBBQ
12-03-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm looking for ISS to come out on top. Another win for New England would be sweet.

Good luck to Steve and the entire ISS crew.

SloppyQ
12-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I wonder who that Diva chic is bett'n on?:rolleyes:
Good luck to whoever wins, they all deserve to be TOY.

ThomEmery
12-04-2009, 07:50 AM
My money is on Paublo Diablo

Diva
12-04-2009, 08:47 AM
i wonder who that diva chic is bett'n on?:rolleyes:
Good luck to whoever wins, they all deserve to be toy.

lol!

Jacked UP BBQ
12-04-2009, 10:23 AM

That guy can cook!!!:roll:

Balls Casten
12-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Gotta go with the Iowa boy!

Sledneck
12-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I am rooting for OC Pig assassins to win it all

SmokeInDaEye
12-04-2009, 09:11 PM

Normally we Texas boys stick together but I gotta take your money on the gouteed know it all!:biggrin:

Nitrofly
12-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I am rooting for OC Pig assassins to win it all

maybe not this year but watch out for them next year :biggrin:

Nitrofly
12-04-2009, 09:32 PM
I have to pull for my home town boys ISS :icon_blush:

I Smell Smoke :biggrin:

BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! BAAAHHHBEQUE !!!