PDA

View Full Version : Semi-annual road trip to Florida

Harbormaster
12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
OK boys and girls, it's that time of the year again.

The SoDT has informed me that the Wyocena Yacht Club crew and deckhands will be making a trek to Crytal River, FL this year, departing Wyocena early on the morning of the 23rd of December.

I usually get us to about Birmingham on the first day. We spend the night there and head the rest of the way the next day.

On the last trip I was advised to hit Webbs 231 BBQ on the way, which we did. It was OK, the pork sammies were chopped more than I like.

Also on the last trip, The Kapn took the time out to meet for a few minutes at a truck stop somewhere outside of Tallahassee.

So, I like to meet as many Brethren as I can, so if'n any of y'all might be in my path that week, let me know. We're staying in FL most of the week after Christmas, and we're thinking of heading over to Kennedy Space Center one day, just not sure which. If anyone is near Crystal River, that would be a bonus!

We want to take more than a couple of days coming back. I'd like to stop in Mobile as I hear there is a sub that can be toured. (Heard there is a good museum in Pensacola too. I need to look into that.) Also want to hit the NASA rocket center in Huntsville. I would like to try and get to the Makers Mark distillery in Loretta, KY but that is unlikely. We'll see.

So, anyone gonna be around? Have any ideas of where else to visist or good Q joints on the route?

PM me or post here!

Thanks Brethren!

Harbormaster
12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
Bump.

Help a Brethren out, will ya?

willkat98
12-06-2009, 05:50 AM
Wow, thats a long drive.

Have a safe trip!

BBQ Bandit
12-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Give a shout out to Smokin' Cracker while you're down there...

Lake Dogs
12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm not 100% certain, but I think the Alabama folks shut off all the roads to/from
Florida....

douglaslizard
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
looks like your gonna miss me by about 3 or 4 hours but have a safe trip nonetheless.

E Mellow
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
When i was living in Orlando on trips back north I would always stop by Bob Gibsons which is about an hour and half north of Birmingham in Decatur AL.

Hope you can swing the trip to Makers Mark, really any stop along the Kentucky Bourbon is worth it.

Good luck and safe travels.

The_Kapn
12-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Well,
We can always do it again, but with more time to spend. :lol:
Hopefully, Mrs Kapn will be in town.

Across the Interstate from where we met is Sonny's BBQ--not bad, but not up to Webb's 231 standards.

Also several buffets at that exit to feed your family for a reasonable amount of $$.

Mobile has a real Destoyer and a Sub--great way to spend the day, even with Kiddos!

We are going to be at Disney right before Christmas--apparently the 17th through the 23rd.
Maybe we can hook up there??

Keep us posted.

TIM

Harbormaster
12-14-2009, 12:22 PM
Well,
We can always do it again, but with more time to spend. :lol:
Hopefully, Mrs Kapn will be in town. We will be in that neck of the woods on the 24th on the way down, not sure on the way back. It would be great to hang out for a couple hours if it works out. We need to figure out what we are going to hit on the way home.

Mobile has a real Destoyer and a Sub--great way to spend the day, even with Kiddos! Gonna either hit that or Pensacola.

We are going to be at Disney right before Christmas--apparently the 17th through the 23rd.
Maybe we can hook up there??

Doubt it. I don't think we are planning on going to Disney, at least I hope not. I'll let you know what the final itinerary looks like, once the SoDT and I have investigated our options.

Sledneck
12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
If you are in the Lakeland area and like sushi this place is one of the best I have ever been to http://www.diningoutrestaurantguide.com/Gosh/ Smoking cracker took me there last year and we are meeting up to go there again next week

Harbormaster
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
We depart Wednesday morning early.
Last chance to let me know if anyone is available for a visit.

grossepellets
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
the 50 degree weather there having there should be a big warm up for the cheesehead weather you get now. I hope it warms up while were there - just south of you in Sarrasota/Braedonton. 5 days of R&R on all white beaches.
I dont know the area for BBQ but there were a couple of UDS stands last time I was in Braedonton.

Harbormaster
12-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Well we made it!
Despite all the farkers on the Instersate with no clue how to use cruise control or directionals, we made it.

No Q yet though, which sucks. Should have stopped at Sonny's in Marianna on the way, but it was 10:30 and felt to early for Q.

What the he!! was I thinkin'?

Harbormaster
12-30-2009, 08:37 AM
OK, we are leaving Crystal River on Thursday, and driving to Pensacola to check out the aviation museum.

Haven't plotted a course home yet, so if'n y'all are somewhere in the area, we are likely heading North prom Pensacola on Thursday for the trip home. Sound off here!