PDA

View Full Version : Trimming Ribs (before/after) Cooking

Funtimebbq
11-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi All,
Hope everyone has a great Tksgiving.
For competitions, I usually cook pork ribs after trimming them to St. Louis cut. However, the thought crossed my mind to ask if anyone has ever cooked the full rack of ribs and then trimmed prior to turn-in? If so, how did that work out? If not, please explain what problems you see.

Thanks, Benny

Smokin Mike
11-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I just buy the St. Louis cut from RD, and do my own trimming.

If you have a RD around you, just try them, it's not bad, and most of the trimming is already done.

Vince RnQ
11-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi All,
Hope everyone has a great Tksgiving.
For competitions, I usually cook pork ribs after trimming them to St. Louis cut. However, the thought crossed my mind to ask if anyone has ever cooked the full rack of ribs and then trimmed prior to turn-in? If so, how did that work out? If not, please explain what problems you see.

Thanks, Benny

Interesting idea, Benny, and some serious "outside the box" thinking.

Never tried it myself.

Jeff Hughes
11-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I think you would destroy the racks by trimming to St Louis cut after cooking...

Kosmo's Q
11-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I think you would destroy the racks by trimming to St Louis cut after cooking...

I agree.

billm
11-27-2009, 08:44 AM
agree on not trimming them after cooking
it takes all of a couple minutes at most to trim them raw..

Spydermike72
11-27-2009, 09:50 AM
I can attest to Bill,Jeff and Kosmo's words of wisdom. It is a pain to do it after cooking, plus the end result is not good... I advocate trimming before cooking...

Funtimebbq
11-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for your responses. I will probably continue to trim before cooking but may try it at home over the next couple of months.
I usually buy my ribs from RD. I have never seen fresh St. Louis cut at any of the 3 stores I've been to here in the L.A. area. They do sell the St. Louis cut ribs frozen and by the case only.

Benny

MilitantSquatter
11-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Benny - what's the benefit you potentially see ? uniqueness for the judges ??

Funtimebbq
11-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Benny - what's the benefit you potentially see ? uniqueness for the judges ??

First, I usually trim the ribs on-site at the contests. One thought is to cook the whole rack and not have to worry about taking home the trimmings uncooked. I find it a shame to just throw the trimmings away. This can be solved by trimming at home the night before leaving for the contest.

Second, if the whole rack is cooked all together, the tips and trimmings will cook for the full length of time and not have to be pulled early. They would also receive the full process such as foiling and adding items in the foil packet. Hopefully, the trimmings/tips would taste like the ribs being turned in.

Finally, trimming (just before the final saucing/glazing) may make for a more even set of ribs than trimming before cooking. It may eliminate the effect of shrinkage.

Benny

azkitch
11-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Let us know what you think. Maybe I'll try a set like that myself...

Branden
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
My vote is to trim before cooking but I like the thought.

Big Ugly's BBQ
11-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Interesting take on this, never considered it before. I have always trimmed before the contest, at home. We use the trimmings for stews, chili's, and stir-fry. Once in a while, the boys like to try their hand at smoking something, the trimmings fit the bill.

Butcher BBQ
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I would be worried the more slices on the cooked meats you make the more exposure you have for juices to run (IE drying out the meat), and possibility of the meat cooling off faster. Just my thoughts.

Bbq Bubba
11-30-2009, 04:28 PM

Agree.

I can attest to Bill,Jeff and Kosmo's words of wisdom. It is a pain to do it after cooking, plus the end result is not good... I advocate trimming before cooking...

And you know this how? :twisted:

Spydermike72
11-30-2009, 04:37 PM
Agree.

And you know this how? :twisted:

Flushing this year....

Funtimebbq
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I would be worried the more slices on the cooked meats you make the more exposure you have for juices to run (IE drying out the meat), and possibility of the meat cooling off faster. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, I had not thought about losing juices by excessive cutting after the ribs have cooked. I'll probably still trim prior to a contest but do so at home to save transporting the uncooked trimmings back home.

I will still give the idea a practice session or two prior to next year's contests. I have only cooked in 7 contests over the last two years and have a lot to learn. Next year, I'll probably only do 3 unless I team up with others to share expenses.

Benny

Bbq Bubba
11-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Flushing this year....

Is THAT what that noise was? :twisted:

early mornin' smokin'
11-30-2009, 06:25 PM
what, nobody cooks em up for cooks snacks, only thing that gets me thru the nite, and usually the only que ill eat at a comp, other than tasting of course