PDA

View Full Version : GAB - date change for 2010

KC_Bobby
11-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Well I was thinking of the Dells, but then the GAB changed weekends.:mad:

It's still Memorial Day weekend right? Just changing from the 4th weekend to the 5th due to calendar ... or did something really get changed?

EarlyBird
11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
It's still Memorial Day weekend right? Just changing from the 4th weekend to the 5th due to calendar ... or did something really get changed?

The GAB is NOT memorial day weekend this year, It is the weekend before, May 21-22, according to the KCBS website

KC_Bobby
11-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Chris, I'm really just hoping that the KCBS program calendar just doesn't account for weekend shifts and has that date on there based on last year's calendar date. Sure is nice to get that Monday off following two days of competition.

musicmanryann
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Chris, I'm really just hoping that the KCBS program calendar just doesn't account for weekend shifts and has that date on there based on last year's calendar date. Sure is nice to get that Monday off following two days of competition.

Unfortunately, it is listed as the 21-22 on the GAB's website as well...

KC_Bobby
11-24-2009, 04:56 PM
lol, I'll believe ya - I can't even find a date on their site.

www.thinkbbq.com

HoDeDo
11-24-2009, 07:41 PM

I asked tracy this about a month ago.... It is the weekend before memorial day. It was a concious decision to move it.

KC_Bobby
11-24-2009, 08:49 PM
More local drinkers might show since it's not an official lake weekend. Wonder what that will do for the traveling teams.

Scottie
11-24-2009, 09:48 PM
More local drinkers might show since it's not an official lake weekend. Wonder what that will do for the traveling teams.

Never cooked Kansas.... Usually the GAB is up against my hometown contest, so I couldn't miss that. Do you need security at this one? ;)

Plowboy
11-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Never cooked Kansas.... Usually the GAB is up against my hometown contest, so I couldn't miss that. Do you need security at this one? ;)

Not at all. The GAB is a whole different feel from that other contest. Plus you get to cook the World Brisket Open.

thenewguy
11-25-2009, 12:04 AM
But will there be "time" to do the WBO as well as the GAB in a 2 day show?
I might not go to the GAB now if it's only a 2 dayer!
Is "2 dayer" a proper word? Hmmmm.

Plowboy
11-25-2009, 01:33 AM
I doubt the format of the event will change, just the dates. Invitational and WBO will be Fri-Sat and Open from Sat-Sun.

Balls Casten
11-25-2009, 05:09 AM
This my be my fault. My birthday is on the 22nd, so I asked them to stay on those dates for us. :-D

Actually I kind of like it switching weekends. I doubt we could get in every year if it was always Memorial weekend.

Diva
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
They're going 'old school'....Invitational is Thurs/Fri. WBO turn in is Friday. Open is Fri/Sat.

HoDeDo
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
They're going 'old school'....Invitational is Thurs/Fri. WBO turn in is Friday. Open is Fri/Sat.

Nice! Gotta love old school.

KC_Bobby
11-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Great ... so I gotta take 2 days off work

Plowboy
11-25-2009, 08:24 AM

I don't like old school. Means I gotta take another day off of work.

ique
11-25-2009, 08:28 AM

I definitely like that schedule much better when the Royal did it that way

musicmanryann
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
lol, I'll believe ya - I can't even find a date on their site.

www.thinkbbq.com (http://www.thinkbbq.com)

This is a joke right?

KC_Bobby
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
The date didn't show up in Firefox, then I looked at it in IE and it was there. So I hit refresh in Firefox and BAM. My cache was storing an old version of the page.

musicmanryann
11-25-2009, 09:17 AM
I figured it was something like that. Just glad you figured it out. Still stinks about the date though. I was wanting to do the Dells as well.

Diva
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
I definitely like that schedule much better when the Royal did it that way

Me too. But, I guess, that makes us old school. All these "newbies" are sperled.... :lol::biggrin: JUST kidding....

Scottie
11-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Gotta love that.... Wish the Royal had never changed that set-up... but I don't want to sound bitter... :icon_shy

I am sure all the locals will be up in arms about that change. Welcome to the club boys. It's called, using your vacation days... Count yourself lucky that you guys can cook in your area without taking vacation days...

Plowboy
11-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Gotta love that.... Wish the Royal had never changed that set-up... but I don't want to sound bitter... :icon_shy

I am sure all the locals will be up in arms about that change. Welcome to the club boys. It's called, using your vacation days... Count yourself lucky that you guys can cook in your area without taking vacation days...

I can? Then why did I burn most of my vacation this year on BBQ? I get 15 days and cooked 23 contests this year. I'm in the club, believe me.

goodsmokebbq
11-25-2009, 10:33 AM
This now frees everyone up to come to Roc City Rib Fest on Memorial day weekend 2010. :-D (free beer for brethren)

Scottie
11-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I can? Then why did I burn most of my vacation this year on BBQ? I get 15 days and cooked 23 contests this year. I'm in the club, believe me.

15 days for the rest of the country might get you 12 or 13 contests outside of KC.... So the way you should look at it is you got an extra 10 contests, at least because of the local...

HalfSauced
11-25-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't mind the date change. It's the only way I get to go.
With all the tourist (i.e. drinkers) coming to the lake; Memorial Day Weekend = Restaurant.

GratefulSmoker
11-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm actually kind of glad for the change in dates. We can now actually cook this. I already have catering event's scheduled for Memorial Day weekend next year.

crd26a
11-26-2009, 01:31 PM
Have to agree, sad to see the date change. We only cooked 10 events, but I still burned that many days in vacation (didn't just cook local tournaments).

HoDeDo
11-26-2009, 10:42 PM
This now frees everyone up to come to Roc City Rib Fest on Memorial day weekend 2010. :-D (free beer for brethren)

I wouldn't be anyplace else :twisted:

15 days for the rest of the country might get you 12 or 13 contests outside of KC.... So the way you should look at it is you got an extra 10 contests, at least because of the local...

Yea, Todd, you should try New Yawk, We only have 7 contests up here... geesh. and they are all 3-6 hr drives. :razz::rolleyes: (ok,ok, 16-22hr drives for those of us on the western edge of the state...)

KC_Bobby
01-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Early Bird registration ends January 31.

http://www.thinkbbq.com/appforms/form1.php

Who's in and where is everyone trying to get set up?

http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/2010%20GAB%20Map%2020091212.pdf
(new layout from last year too - looks like even the judging is moving locations)

DMDon
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Early Bird registration ends January 31.

http://www.thinkbbq.com/appforms/form1.php

Who's in and where is everyone trying to get set up?

http://www.thinkbbq.com/uploads/2010%20GAB%20Map%2020091212.pdf
(new layout from last year too - looks like even the judging is moving locations)

Shoot for the North half of the lot away from the Carnival

Plowboy
01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I signed up last Monday: Invitational, Open, and World Brisket Open. Cost me about the same as the Royal with a B spot, 3 electrical, and 3 briskets. But without the WBO briskets, this contest is a GREAT value on its own. Good venue. Good organizer. Lots of good teams. A lot of fun. Anyone within driving distance should not pass over the GAB on their schedule.

Party at Andys!

Neal
01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I can't find any info on the site about the invitational. Can you guys confirm it is on?

Plowboy
01-10-2010, 09:13 PM
It is on.

KC_Bobby
01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Neal, I sent them an email confirming a Friday (invite) and Saturday (open) turn in and they replied with a yes.

Is Andy going to host an all out bash on Saturday night?

crd26a
01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm torn, last year we were down around where the carnival is this year, which kept us out of the wind at the top of the hill, but at the same time, I don't want near that thing. My guess is in that line of 700/800's is where we'll end up

Neal
01-11-2010, 12:25 AM
It is on.

Like http://blog.ebates.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/03/donkey_kong.jpg?

pat
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Alright, looking for a little advice. I am signing up for the Open (first time) and not sure about a couple things on the app...

I am only getting a 25 x 25 space, any suggestions on a good spot? THe application asks for first 3 choices. Do they even consider this?

As for the World Brisket Open, is this during the Invitational or Open? Just looking for some details. My brisket sucks so not sure if I want to throw in another $100-300 to cook additional briskets.

Thanks for any help!

crd26a
02-01-2010, 10:17 AM
WBO is the day of the Invitational turn-in, later in the day. If you get into the Invitational, it makes for a busy Friday - Invitational, Sides, Desserts, Sauce, and WBO. Big day overall

U2CANQUE
02-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Looking forward to experiencing this one.....as well as taking in a little of the "spirits" over the weekend.......

crd26a
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Oh, and on spots - If you have a trailer / rv, pick where you think is best. If you're tents only, I'd pick something further to the south, as its down the hill and will help block any winds. We were close to the south end and when we'd go up to the top of the hill, winds were much stronger up there.

pat
02-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh, and on spots - If you have a trailer / rv, pick where you think is best. If you're tents only, I'd pick something further to the south, as its down the hill and will help block any winds. We were close to the south end and when we'd go up to the top of the hill, winds were much stronger up there.

THats exactly the kind of info I am looking for....thanks!! I will have my truck and EZ up only so maybe down hill would be better. How annoying is the carnival area?

KC_Bobby
02-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Almost as annoying as black and yellow birds, but not near as annoying as the blue and red ones.

crd26a
02-01-2010, 03:18 PM
THats exactly the kind of info I am looking for....thanks!! I will have my truck and EZ up only so maybe down hill would be better. How annoying is the carnival area?

It shouldn't be too bad as its not huge, but there will be some noise and traffic.

The other thing is the parking lot slopes down hill and towards the carnival area. So the closer you are to it, the more runnoff you could see if there's a big rain (May in KC, not out of the picture). We were probably around spot 765 on this years map (Carnival was not in that spot last year) and can promise that if we'd seen a big rain, we'd have had a lot of water through the spot. You might want to shoot for 815-821, as you'll get some blockage from the top of the hill, less runoff, and not a terrible walk. But you'll have a little bit of all three to deal with. If that makes any sense at all.

thenewguy
02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
There's a lot of hill to be on if you go to the south too. I really hate setting up on an angle. We were on the north east side-top of the hill. Nice and flat but the party goer's went till early am. The "officials" didn't see a problem with it,we were told that they paid to have a party.
Man, I must be a little bitch or something!LOL!

pat
02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Man, I must be a little bitch or something!LOL!

You said it not me :tongue:

Thanks for the input guys. I had a feeling it was downhill toward the carnival. Not that it doesn't sound fun but I am gonna hope for a spot away from it!

thenewguy
02-01-2010, 04:21 PM
The carnival was pretty quiet from what I remember.

Scottie
02-18-2010, 12:28 PM
So I will be getting a "Code 2" spot (25x50') Do I want to request at the north end in numbers 300-400? Or do I want to request in the 901-950 numbers? If there is a hill on this map, I sure don't see one...

I'd prefer to be away from the party section. I've not had very good luck with those. Although, I may have a new security detail on my team... Jorge wasn't packing enough.... :eek:

I know where the Oklahoma Joe's teams will be. But other than that, I don't have a clue. I may be cooking on my own if that is any consideration?

Jorge
02-18-2010, 12:33 PM
So I will be getting a "Code 2" spot (25x50') Do I want to request at the north end in numbers 300-400? Or do I want to request in the 901-950 numbers? If there is a hill on this map, I sure don't see one...

I'd prefer to be away from the party section. I've not had very good luck with those. Although, I may have a new security detail on my team... Jorge wasn't packing enough.... :eek:

I know where the Oklahoma Joe's teams will be. But other than that, I don't have a clue. I may be cooking on my own if that is any consideration?

Your new security detail can run the perp(s) down and bring them to justice if there is another incident. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Balls Casten
02-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Carnival? We were by the Army recruiters last year and their simulator. All we heard all weekend was a Hummer rollin thru Iraq with guns blazing. Pretty cool when we first heard it and lots of fun when we went thru it. But I had enough gun fire by the end of the weekend for a lifetime. I dont see them on the map this year so maybe we'll luck out.
http://www.partydocks.com/boathouse/army.jpg

Buster Dog BBQ
02-18-2010, 01:00 PM

I emailed the organizer about flat spots. Her reply:

Our sites are suprisingly flat. The flatest sites are in the 500's, 600's and 900's. We have put together a judging tent between both lots to make it fair to all competitors and give competitors a place to gather on off judging times.

KC_Bobby
02-18-2010, 03:07 PM
The upper right and right sides of the map are the flattest. Then about from the Fox 4 stage and straight down, the land starts to go down at an angle to the bottom left of the map. I requested a center location - if I remember correctly spots 901, 504 and 405 as my 3 choices. I think I was in the spot 504 was last year and it was fine, the row to the left started leaning downhill some and the next row even more.

Big Ugly's BBQ
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Got my invite in the mail Tues, really wish I could be there, but I'm already committed. I'm cooking for a group of Wounded Warriors who participate in the Project Healing Waters. This will be the third year I've done it. Best of luck to everyone!

thenewguy
02-18-2010, 08:57 PM
The invite I received in the mail this week said they moved spots so that there is no hill to deal with.
I don't think we'll be doing this one this year-with the date change I really don't see a reason to spend that much money for a thurs-sat contest.

KC_Bobby
03-31-2010, 11:18 AM
With this being a Fri and Sat turn in comp, anyone planning on sticking around Saturday night before moving out?

Scottie
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
With this being a Fri and Sat turn in comp, anyone planning on sticking around Saturday night before moving out?

Depends on how exhausted I am... I like to try and get out and drive a few hours. So I can hit Newton and some Maytag on the way home... A lot will depend if I am doing this solo or not...

Don't forget that I am taking applications for runners. Prior experience at Hooters is a must.... :clap2:

U2CANQUE
03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

Will be more than needing to stick around Saturday night......first part rest, second part may have to involve a little alcohol on the side, with a chaser of ice......:thumb:

Solidkick
03-31-2010, 09:50 PM
I want to cook this one, but moving it away from Memorial weekend means the same for me as some others, it burns another vacation day, even if we just cook the invitational. I'm leaning towards passing, I think i've got a couple of weeks left to decide.

KC_Bobby
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone receive space assignments yet? I hope to find out soon so I can decide if we need to order a head or not. Hoping we're beside 2-3 other non-partying Brethren teams so we can split a head.

Smoke'n Ice
04-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Have sent in app and requested quite area as well as a PP. Don't know how to find out spot assignment yet but will post when I do and then share cost if anyone is interested.
Mack & Sharon

ps.
good meeting you this weekend Jeff.

This Is How We Que It
04-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Anyone receive space assignments yet? I hope to find out soon so I can decide if we need to order a head or not. Hoping we're beside 2-3 other non-partying Brethren teams so we can split a head.

KC Bobby- We would be interested in that. I can contact you once we know our spots. We will be a non-party team with maybe a couple of friends dropping by from time to time.

RobKC
04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Email from them today said assignments will be made and info will go out after the registration deadline, 4/23.