PDA

View Full Version : Taking a Class

Mike - CSBBBQ
11-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Noticed in the Butcher downtime thread several comments about a class in the off season. The question is..whose class would you take and why?

Pig Headed
11-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Peller Envy, I Smell Smoke or Myron Mixon. I would love to take a class from any of these masters.

Sledneck
11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I smell smoke!!! class, besides being a great class I also had a blast during the class. Coulnt tell you if it made a difference as I did not mimic anything but just tweaked what I already did. I did win a GC soon after taking the class

GratefulSmoker
11-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Rod Gray-Johnny Trigg class.....

monty3777
11-20-2009, 08:53 PM
I'd like to take the Lotta Bull class - especially because he cooks on a stickburner

Finney
11-20-2009, 09:28 PM

Johhny isn't doing classes with Rod this coming year. (or so I have been told) Focusing on the TLC Pitmaster show.

CivilWarBBQ
11-21-2009, 12:59 AM
Myron tells me he also may have to cut back from his usual 3 classes each year if TLC decides to produce more episodes of "BBQ Pitmasters". If they do, he may not hold a February class in 2010.

(Of course I highly recommend the Jack's Old South class.)

bbq ron
11-21-2009, 05:16 AM
i would take the cowgirl class, cause she is on the money when it comes to cooking anything :-P:-P

Jacked UP BBQ
11-21-2009, 06:44 AM
I only took the IQUE class and it was very informativeI would say it is worth the drive to BOSTON. I have heard the I smell smoke class in good.

Charcoalloungers
11-21-2009, 09:31 AM
I took the Pellet/Trigg class and loved it. More than payed for itself 1st comp out as we won RGC. Signed up for the FE/Butcher class and can't wait to drive to Oklahoma:-D

TN_BBQ
11-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I think Myron's would be nice.

Heck any of them that are regular competitors would be cool.

I'd be most interested in getting tips on preparing turn-in boxes. I'm comfortable with the cooking, but those boxes really get to me.

Ford
11-21-2009, 12:29 PM

excellent choice if it's available next year. Helped me a lot.

I'd like to take the Lotta Bull class - especially because he cooks on a stickburner
Also an excellent class but he cooks on a Jambo oven and uses matchlight charcoal. Doesn't really qualify as a stick burner. Add one stick every 60 -90 minutes and back on the couch for a nap. Told us we'd be better off getting some sleep and getting up at ??? well you'll have to take the class to learn that part.

If in the northeast I hear Steve's class is pretty good and southeast try Myron. Midwest - try Rod if they don't do combiend classes.

monty3777
11-21-2009, 01:07 PM
excellent choice if it's available next year. Helped me a lot.

Also an excellent class but he cooks on a Jambo oven and uses matchlight charcoal. Doesn't really qualify as a stick burner. Add one stick every 60 -90 minutes and back on the couch for a nap. Told us we'd be better off getting some sleep and getting up at ??? well you'll have to take the class to learn that part.

If in the northeast I hear Steve's class is pretty good and southeast try Myron. Midwest - try Rod if they don't do combiend classes.

I thought he sold that pit and cooks on a Yoder now. Yoders and Horizons are pretty much the exact same pit - though I bet his is a bit tighter than mine ;)

I took Myron's class. Worth every penny!

Finney
11-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I heard Rod and Tuffy might do "a" east coast class this year. If they do, I'm there.

GratefulSmoker
11-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Johhny isn't doing classes with Rod this coming year. (or so I have been told) Focusing on the TLC Pitmaster show.

If that's the case then I would be interested in going back east to an IQUE class. They happen to be the team that I wanted to be like when we started this competition cooking thing.

KC_Bobby
11-21-2009, 06:57 PM
I wanna take em all!

Coz
11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
I would like to take one of the classes but like some of the others not msure which one.The Rod /Jihnny class if still available has been done by many around our area so I am thinking I should be trying something different.

Smokin Mike
11-22-2009, 08:48 PM
I took the Pellet/Trigg class and loved it. More than payed for itself 1st comp out as we won RGC. Signed up for the FE/Butcher class and can't wait to drive to Oklahoma:-D See you there!

I heard Rod and Tuffy might do "a" east coast class this year. If they do, I'm there.
no kidding, if I could fly there, love to see that in person!

bigdogphin
11-22-2009, 11:44 PM
I took a Paul Kirk class last spring before I knew anything about competition bbq. It was worth every penny and a great introductory class. Now, after one season of competition I know even less. So, I am going to the Fast Eddy/Butcher BBQ class in Ponca City.

Rick Hamilton
11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
I took the Lotta Bull class this summer. Very next contest I won GC and the contest after that i was 3rd overall with 3 top 5 meats including a 1st in ribs. It was a great class.

I would love to take Myrons class and if Tuffy does a class I would definately be interested.

musicmanryann
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
I actually read that Tuffy recently took Myron's class. I think at that moment a hole in the space-time continuum was torn open.

/head-explosion mod

Plowboy
11-24-2009, 06:07 PM
I actually read that Tuffy recently took Myron's class. I think at that moment a hole in the space-time continuum was torn open.

/head-explosion mod

We took the very first Lotta Bull class. This was before Pellet Envy was doing classes. Here's who was there that I remember...

Cancer Sucks
Parrothead Smokers
Smokey Mountain Smokers
Cool Smoke
Team Allegro
Jiggy Piggy
Music City Pig Pals
Great Lakes Feed (Ford)
Habitual Smokers
Big Green Eggs and Ham
QN4U
Pork Pullin Plowboys (before we won anything)
Double D's

How's that for a space time continuum? We didn't feel worthy to be there.

Coz
11-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Thats a pretty impressive class there Todd

Mike - CSBBBQ
11-24-2009, 06:35 PM
WOW! What a line up!

smokincracker
11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I smell smoke!!! class, besides being a great class I also had a blast during the class. Coulnt tell you if it made a difference as I did not mimic anything but just tweaked what I already did. I did win a GC soon after taking the class

Ouch:) man what about a brother???hehehehe

monty3777
11-25-2009, 06:08 AM
We took the very first Lotta Bull class. This was before Pellet Envy was doing classes. Here's who was there that I remember...

Cancer Sucks
Parrothead Smokers
Smokey Mountain Smokers
Cool Smoke
Team Allegro
Jiggy Piggy
Music City Pig Pals
Great Lakes Feed (Ford)
Habitual Smokers
Big Green Eggs and Ham
QN4U
Double D's

this is another great reason to take a class. When I took Myron's class it was attended by one of the teams that is in the top 15 for TOY and a team that received a 1st place finish in a category at the Jack. Sitting around with those guys in the evening talking about Q over a whiskey (or 10) was the source of a lot of additional learning!

ThomEmery
11-25-2009, 07:57 AM
We are looking for one in early 2010

musicmanryann
11-25-2009, 09:28 AM

Cancer Sucks
Parrothead Smokers
Smokey Mountain Smokers
Cool Smoke
Team Allegro
Jiggy Piggy
Music City Pig Pals
Great Lakes Feed (Ford)
Habitual Smokers
Big Green Eggs and Ham
QN4U
Double D's

Wow.

Scottie
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow.

I wasn't there. I don't know what he is talking about.... Got any pictures to prove it? If not... didn't happen...

Buster Dog BBQ
11-25-2009, 07:03 PM
Man, I only had some guy named Ryan in my class and really didnt even know him.

monty3777
11-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Man, I only had some guy named Ryan in my class and really didnt even know him.

I've heard of him. He didn't even have enough dough for an FEC! :roll::cool::-D