PDA

View Full Version : What about a Mega- Bash open to families?

Mark
12-03-2003, 01:20 PM
Just some thoughts in hopes that we develop the Bash concept in general.

So far, we're talking about an event in someone's back yard. I know they've been memorial and only wish I could have made them too. However, isn't our growth and interests quickly outgrowing backyard-sized bashes? And how do we tell someone we're full, you can't come?

Perhaps we should entertain the concepts of a something that can accomodate a larger event. Maybe on a farm or private campground where you can bring your family members or "significant others."

On a personal note, one of the things that keeps me from attending bashes so far is my son. He's severely autistic. Something like what I'm talking about would alleviate most of my concerns.

I know there are lots of places like that in Missouri and Missouri is centally located. I've also got some friends with farms. Maybe someone else has got some other locations? Well? Whatcha all think?

parrothead
12-03-2003, 01:48 PM
That's not a bad idea whatsoever. And, MO would be the ideal spot seeing as so many of you are from the area. What is the most popular BBQ weekend of the year? the 4th of July. Or we could actually get some structure to this thing we call the brethren, define all of the regions, and have it travel around.

Now wait a second. Are you sure you want all the ladys getting to know each other? That could spell trouble with a capital T, and that ryhmes with B, and that stands for BBQ. (music man reference).

I say we sleep on that one for awhile, and maybe we will end up at that in a year or so.

Mark
12-03-2003, 02:16 PM
By the 4th of July it's usually too damn hot (unless you're on or preferably in a lake or something like that).

As requested, I'd prefer start a dialouge; its too early to sleep on it. True though; if there's ladies and/or children around we probably should behave a bit less hedonistic.

ckkphoto
12-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Mega-bash!!! a BBQ Wood-stock!!

BBQchef33
12-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Well, As the Host of B1 and B2, i'd like to say that no way would I say we're full. If theres room for a slepping bag and a tent, we would've had room. As I planned on B2, If the next bash goes beyond 20 members, I would have moved it to a local campground. Close enuf where I can run home if we needed something and also close enuf to stores for supplies. I could've accomodated 20-30 here for the party, but sleeping arrangments would have been limited to tents and the like for overnighters. Theres also a local motel thats reasonably priced.

The reason I discouraged families at the ones at my home is that by including families quickly turned 15 members(plus families) into 40-50-60 people. To keep it to 20-25 people would have limited the number of members.

I have considered a "Brethren Family Outing" and was going to spark that during the winter.. Maybe at campgrounds. Never thought of farms.. thats a pipedream around here.. So its good we open the Dialoge early.. maybe we can make somethign happen.

Also the "simu-Bash" concept we tried this summer with some extend of success. , Try to get a few local bashes going at the same time in different locations. ... hook up webcams and have virtual Brethren.

Never to early to start planning.

chad
12-03-2003, 03:38 PM
While a large group family bash would be interesting I don't think I would be attending. My wife doesn't get into the large group of guys drinking beer and scratching gatherings :D

I got to B2 and it was the first "guys" weekend I've had in over 3 years. No wife to tell me I couldn't have another beer or best not drink the Cabo (my wife is NOT a nag but she does try to look out for me!). No 11 year old (I've got an Asperger's syndrome son) torturing the dogs or pestering me about what "fark" means, etc. I look forward to another bash but it won't be mega/family for me.
Also, the east coast flight cost me very little and I probably couldn't afford to fly and certainly couldn't drive to the mid-west for a weekend event.

I would check in on the web-cast though!! :D

I'm not knocking the idea for you guys -- it just wouldn't work for me.

Mark
12-03-2003, 03:40 PM
a "Brethren Family Outing" during the winter somewhere warm would be fun. I know that the yahoo dutch oven cooking group did something like that in San Diego on the coast in a private campground.

Some of us aren't married and/or dont have kids living with them. I'm just thinking that bashes where bringing them along can be accomodated would be nice. Otherwise, I for one probably ain't gettin to no bashes. OTOH: keeping our acts clean enough and long enough for a family oriented event could significantly detract from the hedonistic fun of it all.

PS: Bashes probably should be mainly about us rather than entertaining the wives & kiddies. Regardless, let's keep exploring the topic.

ckkphoto
12-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Mark, I can't speak for the Bash concept, because I can relate to the need for a "guy night out" concept of the bash, where "partially domesticated animal=male". However, if you make it to DFW you and your son are welcome to our house. Two of the people that have helped me the most in my life had autistic sons. We can adapt. I understand it can be difficult when you have to accomodate special needs. If circumstances bring you to DFW, welcome.

parrothead
12-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Well, As the Host of B1 and B2, i'd like to say that no way would I say we're full. If theres room for a slepping bag and a tent, we would've had room. As I planned on B2, If the next bash goes beyond 20 members, I would have moved it to a local campground. Close enuf where I can run home if we needed something and also close enuf to stores for supplies. I could've accomodated 20-30 here for the party, but sleeping arrangments would have been limited to tents and the like for overnighters. Theres also a local motel thats reasonably priced.

I have the room to accomadate about as many paople as ya want. I would just have to bring in a couple of portapotties to spare my septic field. If that doesn't work I have a campground right up the street that my association owns. Personally, I outgrew the roughing it thing about 8-10 years back.

I know we have talked about me doing a spring bash, thought we had tabled it for awhile, but I geuss it may indeed be time to start planning it.

Also, after thinking about it for awhile, I think that I prefer the guys party concept a whole lot better.

My 2 cents for now, but have the feeling that we are going to be talking alot about this.

Mark
12-03-2003, 04:33 PM
I don't disagree Greg. OTOH; I certainly wouldn't object to wives or girlfriends who would not get offended by males ruling for a change. $hit, it might even add to the hedonistic environment.

parrothead
12-03-2003, 05:14 PM
And they could help clean up

parrothead
12-03-2003, 05:16 PM
Maid marinade, if you are out there, what's your thoughts from our sister brethren. I would have to say that any bash would have you invited also.

chad
12-03-2003, 05:25 PM
And they could help clean up

That is NOT going to happen -- Sharon (Phil's keeper!) would hint at us to clean up (she'd pick up her plate and/or bottle and throw it away) and that's just about as far as her cleaning up as it got :D

If spouses, girlfriends, signifcant others, are there it will change the gathering from a Bash to a Brethren weekend! Odds are that 'que would not be the focus of the gathering -- it'd be "getting to know everyone" and such.

I believe there may be a need (or maybe just a place) for a "family" gathering but if we lose the all male bash weekend (brethrenettes are welcome but they know what to expect :D) it would really be sad. I loved reading about B1 and was able to do B2 and would not trade that weekend for a trip to Cancun (well, maybe!) :D

So, plan away brothers!! We are trying to appeal to all our members and if family gatherings are needed then do it -- I don't see anywhere in our "charter" that you need the groups permission to hold a bash!!

I'll hold out for the hardcore beer and Cabo Bash!!

parrothead
12-03-2003, 05:36 PM
Well said Dave! I was just kidding about the cleaning up thing. I would imagine that the lady of the house of wherever a bash is at is probably at her wits end. Probably busy running around with air freshener every half hour.

I like that idea of a cancun bash. Or we could take over a cruise ship. Or rent a small island.

BBQchef33
12-04-2003, 01:36 AM
For the record, regardless of "Family Bash" or "brethren Weekend" B3 or whatever # it is at that point will be at "Brethren Meca", Long island NY, 3rd or last week in June. That is my reserved week until further notice.. sometime 2009. That'll be Brethren Bash in the purist sense of the words. Party, Booze, Good Q and Great Friends. Period.

Gregg discussed Spring bash 2004, which we can floor in January.

Anything else is just gravy. (brown, with shrooms).

tommykendall
12-04-2003, 07:32 AM
I'm in for anything, whether a family mega bash in Anywhere US, or the Bretheren Meca in June. My family won't attend but I'm not opposed to anyone's family being around.

Mark
12-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Phils last post said 2009 though. :-(
Was that a typo?

parrothead
12-04-2003, 01:02 PM
that was through 2009

Mark
12-04-2003, 01:08 PM
I second a Spring bash at Greg's. I further propose a winter bash somewhere on the gulf coast

And can I hear from the STL crew about something around here say in September?

slat
12-04-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm not in STL, but wouldn't mind making the short trip to get in on the fun.
I like the idea of the family bash too.

Mark
12-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Yeah slat; you're one of ours. Same with KYC and everything in between.

Maybe we're the MO-FO's (short for Missouri Folks)

PS:: Of course, that's just a subset of the midwest chapter

BBQchef33
12-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Phils last post said 2009 though. :-(
Was that a typo?

No, not a typo.... was reserving the last weeks in June for my Bashes for the next 5 years.

Mark
12-04-2003, 02:44 PM
That's reassuring

Solidkick
12-04-2003, 06:09 PM
Mark,
St Peters side of STL suits me fine, about 90 minutes for me. Haven't been past St. Charles in years, scares the hell out of me the way they drive in STL. Just give me a date enough in advance so i can work out my work schedule. If Santa brings me a new job outside of retail, (please, please Santa) then that won't be an issue.
Thanks fellow Mo-Fo-Bro.

tommykendall
12-05-2003, 08:22 AM
No, not a typo.... was reserving the last weeks in June for my Bashes for the next 5 years.

That's why Phil is da man!!

parrothead
12-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Mo-Fos. I like that. Gonna call ya'll that from now on.

SoCalCraigster
12-08-2003, 02:10 PM
:idea:

Instead of significant others, lets just meet in Vegas or Atlantic city and get some female entertainment. We could paint some breasts with BBQ sauce and then have a tasting contest..Yum...Brisket and boobs. :mrgreen:

I'll buy that for a dollar!