PDA

View Full Version : Rub Reviews

Dan - 3eyzbbq
11-08-2009, 10:39 AM
3 EYZ BBQ Rub
By Red Todd
PAPOSSE1@MSN.COM (PAPOSSE1@MSN.COM)

I met with Dan Hixon of 3EYZ BBQ at the 8th annual New Holland Summer Fest in New Holland, PA. We chatted and I told him that Iíd be happy to do a review of his BBQ rub the he was just starting to market. Since that short meeting in the end of August (í07) Iíve been using this particular barbeque rub as often as I could. Iíve used it for barbequing pork butts, chicken, baby back and spare ribs. In every case my finished products came out great.

My pulled pork had some great burnt ends with just an explosion of flavor that made me want to reach back into the pile and have some more. Both styles of ribs came out of the smoker and made my mouth water while I waited for them to rest and reconstitute themselves with all of that moisture that was infused with this rub.

I smoked the butts and proceeded to wrap one of them in foil and left the other alone excepting a spray of apple juice every hour. The butt that was wrapped turned out some of the best tasting burnt ends that Iíve eaten to date. It had a smooth taste with an intense sweetness and yet a bite of heat at the same time. The unwrapped butt also had some great burnt ends that I could tease my palate with while breaking them down in my mouth. It was pretty darned tasty to hold them between my cheek and gum and get every last bit of flavor out of them while doing so.

If youíve never had ribs that were award winners, youíve got to use some of this rub to experience what it is like. The baby backs came out a little sweeter then the spares but that is to be expected with almost any rub because of the nature of the beast in each style rib. I did two racks of each and treated both styles the same. I foiled each rack but on the first of each I poured a 2Ē strip of one of my favorite sauces the length of the rack and then folded the foil tightly and returned them to the smoker. On the second of each I did not apply any sauce but instead mixed a 50/50 ratio of that same sauce and water and poured about 2 tablespoons of the mixture under the bone-side if the racks and lightly foiled them before returning them to the smoker.

All four racks turned out perfectly in tenderness and they were some real outstanding racks of ribs. Throw a little slaw and potato salad in there and we were eating like royalty.

I used this rub on chicken at two different contests since August with mixed results even though I used pretty much the same technique at both. I prepped the thighs as I usually do for competition by trimming and then seasoning them. I then put them into a Zip Lock bag and add a few chunks of ice so the dry rub actually penetrates the chicken as a dry marinade and then as the ice melts it also acts as a wet marinade until it is ready for the smoker. In the first contest this preparation process and my cooking process produced a 2nd place finish whereas in the second contest I ended up in 62nd place out of 84 teams. There were some great teams at both events but itís hard to figure why the second contest went so awry. Believe me when I say that the chicken at both contests was pretty darned good.

As for the seafood, can you say YUMMIE! I did some pan searing, baking and broiling with Salmon, Tilapia, Cod, Swordfish, Catfish and Shrimp and every last tidbit was eaten and savored. The cooking method didnít matter. Iím telling you folks, this rub mix is excellent on seafood.

I even used it in a seafood salad that I make and it has now become a staple in my pantry. Some of the smoked meats were had as leftovers and this rub didnít lose any of itís intensity in flavor like some mixes Iíve tried have.

The ingredients in this rub are somewhat subtle and no single one has more boldness then any of the others. The flavor is very kind to the palate and I would promote this item to anyone as an all-purpose rub. As tested, I would give the 3EYZ BBQ Rub 4 out of 5 smiley faces. :-P:-P:-P:-P To order some of this great product, please visit them at www.3EYZBBQ.com (http://www.3eyzbbq.com/) . You wonít be sorry.

As always, if you have a product (condiments, accessories, smokers, grills, etc.) youíd like me to test and write a review for, feel free to contact me via email at PAPOSSE1@MSN.COM (PAPOSSE1@MSN.COM) and see how many times your product can make me smile.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
11-22-2009, 11:03 AM
http://www.huckshut.com/2009/05/29/3eyz-original-bbq-spice-rub-review/

Dan - 3eyzbbq
11-22-2009, 11:08 AM
I also wanted to take a minute to announce our first official sponsor. 3 Eyz BBQ Rub,http://www.3eyzbbq.com/ (http://www.3eyzbbq.com/), has become an official sponsor of the Ďwho are those guys?í BBQ Team. The 3 Eyz BBQ rub is a great product. Dan, Jason & Dan produced the rub with pork in mind, and it has done pretty well. Last year they took 2nd Place for BBQ Rub at the Great American BBQ Contest held the end of May each year. Their product was up against some of the biggest names in the BBQ business.

This year, the 3 Eyz boys improved their position and came home with a 1st Place trophy for BBQ rub, not bad for a couple of guys from Maryland, which is basically known for its seafood, not BBQ. Good thing they didn't decide to quit after finishing #2 eh?

Their rub is excellent on ribs and slow cooked pork as designed.As you can imagine, I have taken their product up a notch or two, I have used it with great success on chicken, brisket and even seafood. Salmon and mahi mahi cooked on the grill are great with 3 Eyz rub. I have even, dare I say it, used this product instead of that yellow can while mixing crab cakes and other crab dishes. And guess what, the cops didnít knock the door down to arrest me for making a crab dish in Maryland and not using the yellow can. They did, however, stop by and enjoy some nicely spiced crab balls I jazzed up using the 3 Eyz BBQ Rub.

If you havenít given it a try yet, I encourage you to do so. The rub is available on their website, the link is above, and at any contest they are competing. Also, some select fine shops around town, the complete list of vendors selling 3 Eyz Rub is also available on their site, give it a try, you will be pleased with the results.

Taken from:
http://thenewguys.blogspot.com/

Dan - 3eyzbbq
11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
http://www.bbqaddicts.com/blog/rubs-sauce/3-eyz-bbq/