PDA

View Full Version : 2010 candidates for KCBS BOD

Merl
10-31-2009, 06:57 PM
KCBS ANNOUNCES CANDIDATES FOR
2010 BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTION.

The Board of Kansas City Barbeque Society is please to announce the following members have accepted nomination as a candidate for the position of Board of Director. There are four positions to be filled. The election will be conducted by Elections Online, with electronic voting beginning on January 2, 2010 and conclude on January 15, 2010. Paper ballots may be requested from the KCBS office. The winners will be announced during the annual banquet in Philadelphia, PA.

This year there are three incumbents seeing re-election:
Paul Kirk, Mike Lake and Linda Mullane.

The candidates this year are:
Candidate Team City,State

Joe Amore Smoky Mountain Smokers Sevierville, TN
Randy Bigler JC’s Pit Crew Huntsville, AL
John Kirby Backyard Burners Baltimore, MD
*Paul Kirk The Baron and his Pitmasters Roeland Park, KS
*Mike Lake Rock River BBQ Shannon, Il
Barb Milroy Texas Rib Rangers Denton, TX
*Linda Mullane Pig Daddy’s BBQ Williamstown, NJ
Jim Stancil Bare Knuckles BBQ Oxford, GA
Jeff Stith Big Creek BBQ Pleasant Hill, MO
Bunny Tuttle KCass BBQ Pleasant Hill, MO
Candy Weaver BBQR’S Delight Pine Bluff, AR

*incumbents

Merl Whitebook
Nominations Chairperson
KCBS Board of Directors
mwhitebook@kcbs.us

Bigdog
10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Vote for Jeff because Stith happens. :wink::mrgreen:

Plowboy
10-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Vote for Jeff because Stith happens. :wink::mrgreen:

OMG - That is awesome.

motoeric
10-31-2009, 08:33 PM
When considering who I will be voting for, my three main concerns are:

1) Do they support transparency?

2) Do they support effective communication with the membership?

3) Will they do the job they are elected to do?

Keeping that in mind, it is clear that Linda Mullane will be getting my vote.

Eric

Bigdog
10-31-2009, 08:33 PM
OMG - That is awesome.

Thanks, I've been telling Jeff that he needs to print up shirts that say that but he just looks at me and shakes his head.

So since he won't do that, I'll just add it to my signature line.

ThomEmery
10-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Man that is a lot of candidates
The vote will be split up

Plowboy
10-31-2009, 08:48 PM

Keeping that in mind, it is clear that Linda Mullane will be getting my vote.

Eric

I think #3 is very key with those up for re-election.

motoeric
10-31-2009, 09:11 PM
Seeing who is active and who is not in their role on the board shouldn't be that difficult.

Check out some copies of the Bullsheet from the past year. Take a look at the quick notes from the board. If someone is continually listed under their committee as having 'no report', that's a problem.

Eric

arlieque
10-31-2009, 10:18 PM
and what platform some of them are running on!

That will be the real question????

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 12:28 AM

Eric, I've been saying all along that I am completely in support of being transparent... that the members should know what goes on in meetings by being able to listen in or attend, what our budgets are, how our money is being spent, etc. The Board is elected by members to represent them. The members should therefore have no problem seeing just how well each board member actually does this. Along these same lines, the board members should make every effort to stay in contact with and know what the members are thinking. They need to listen, plain and simple. And without a doubt, they should do what they were elected to do. However, I sometimes think we've seen board members who do what they THINK members want them to do or they do what THEY think is right and do not always consult with membership.

If elected, I will always vote in favor of more openness to the members and to share vital information with members. I plan to keep a Web site available online with my thoughts and opinions and will welcome and encourage visitors to respond with their's. My opinions are mine but my voting record will reflect the overall opinions of the membership who let me know their feelings. Any member will have access to my phone numbers and email at all times. Afterall, I would be representing YOU, not myself - and THAT is what I believe, I would be elected to do. Correct? :wink:

www.VoteJeffKCBS.com (http://www.VoteJeffKCBS.com)

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 12:31 AM

Arlie, the simplest answer I have there is this: My platform is the Cooks' Platform! I will support ALL members, regardless of how they are involved with KCBS. But as a cook myself, my primary focus will be to represent the needs of the cooks on teams all across the US and in all countries where we have members! I am going to be a voice and advocate for cooks all over, not just the midwest where I am from.

FatBoyz
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
dont take this wrong Jeff but how are you going to chang things that the old gard does not want changed? i think that is what made rod quit but i dont know that for shure.

drbbq
11-01-2009, 06:43 AM

I heard that one has a platform of outlawing spouses on the board. Gee I wonder what that's all about?
Should solve all the problems though.

ThomEmery
11-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Yea Ray that will fix it :)
Really time to consider new ideas like working as a team

drbbq
11-01-2009, 08:34 AM
working as a team

What a concept!

ThomEmery
11-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Just remember
"no report"

arlieque
11-01-2009, 10:05 AM
Just remember
"no report"

You saying:

No Report-No Vote???

ThomEmery
11-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Well if a BoD member is not doing anything to report
Why should they be on the board?

Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
4 positions to fill, three incumbents. Who isn't seeking re-election?

Merl
11-01-2009, 11:15 AM
4 positions to fill, three incumbents. Who isn't seeking re-election?

Steve Ownby chose not to seek re-election. He lost his father within the last year and has taken over many new family and business obligations.

Merl

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 02:38 PM
dont take this wrong Jeff but how are you going to chang things that the old gard does not want changed? i think that is what made rod quit but i dont know that for shure.

First off, if you want the old guard changed, vote for new blood. True, I can't change things by myself but is that a reason to vote for the same ol' same ol' that you don't like? It's a start, if nothing else. Elect me and I will do everything I can to support the issues you want supported until voting members can get more "reinforcements" the following year and the next. I'm not going to call any board member out for not doing a good job. I'll speak in general but I'm not pointing fingers. That's not in the spirit of what we need to do as an organization! My campaign for the last two and a half months has been to help bring harmony, respect and cooperation to the board. It's the only way we can accomplish what needs to be done for the future of the KCBS. I would tell ANY board member to be a part of the solution or step aside. For the last five years, I have been a part of a Parks Board here, the last year serving as president. I cannot recall a dissenting vote in ANY issue that's come up... everything is unanimous. Yes, there are disagreements sometimes on how to proceed but in the end, for the good of our community, we always come together. I want that to be an example for the KCBS. We need to get on the same page, stop the bickering and run this organization like YOU deserve it to be run!

txschutte
11-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Well if a BoD member is not doing anything to report
Why should they be on the board?
Exactly my thoughts Thom. Jeff, do you have a decisive plan of action for yourself make sure BOD meetings are open for all members?

Not trying to stir the pot here, but in situations like the parsley ban, how will you encourage the KCBS to help out organizers? I understand the BOD can't foresee an ECOLI outbreak, but many organizers and competitors say it was ridiculously short on the notice.

Merl
11-01-2009, 03:18 PM
Exactly my thoughts Thom. Jeff, do you have a decisive plan of action for yourself make sure BOD meetings are open for all members?

Not trying to stir the pot here, but in situations like the parsley ban, how will you encourage the KCBS to help out organizers? I understand the BOD can't foresee an ECOLI outbreak, but many organizers and competitors say it was ridiculously short on the notice.

I have been on the Board for four years. When elected the meetings were closed to the membership. Year I made a motion to kick open the door, it passed. That was the same year the was a motion to prevent BOD members from discussing bod business prior to meetings, publicly which failed. Year two for telephone access, voted down.
Year three for telephone access, voted down. Even tried to not have live meeting but pod cast, again defeated.
Year four for telephone access passed. (you should see who voted no, it may surprise you.)

There is a a lot of good discussion, but it is clear that many have not read the minutes and not aware of the actual votes. Go back and look and see how the people you talk about actually voted. I think it will help to make certain issues about budgets, visibility, and who actually is part of the future or the past will be clear.

Merl

Plowboy
11-01-2009, 03:18 PM

I think you are referring to Parsleygate.

When folks start looking to vote out the old guard for the sake of change, let's not throw out the baby (or babies) with the bathwater. Linda and Mike will have my votes for re-election.

LindaM
11-01-2009, 03:22 PM

BOD meetings are open to the public, at least the membership. I made this motion several months ago and passed. We have several members who have used this each month. You need to request to call in and fill out a form, you will be given a dial in number to call into the meeting.

As for the parsley that was the executive officers decision based on a special meeting. The entire board did not have any say in the matter.

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 04:17 PM

The meetings are open to membership now. Could KCBS do more to make them more accessible to all members? Absolutely they could! But the current board has taken steps in the right direction. In today's world where technology can do darned near anything we hadn't even dreamed about ten years ago, there's little reason why if every member wanted to be able to listen in on meetings, they couldn't do so. Of course one limiting factor is cost. We can't break the bank to bring the meetings to everyone! But the board has made a start and should continue investigating every option available.

As for the parsley ban, I'm not sure how word could have been spread much earlier. I know it hit the Internet and spread like wildfire. KCBS must have a list of all organizers' emails and phone numbers. If it's just for one weekend, it shouldn't have been a big deal to make phone calls as soon as it was known. Then, it has to be on the organizers (which I am one myself) to contact their teams with the news. I think I always do a great job in keeping lines of communication open and as such, I would not have had a problem making 50 phone calls or dividing them up amongst our committee. That all being said, I believe the board members who had no say in determining the ban should not have been left out. No quorum, no official decision! Again, with the technology today, make it happen!

monty3777
11-01-2009, 04:25 PM
I will certainly be voting for Barb Milroy!

Plowboy
11-01-2009, 04:37 PM
The meetings are open to membership now. Could KCBS do more to make them more accessible to all members? Absolutely they could! But the current board has taken steps in the right direction. In today's world where technology can do darned near anything we hadn't even dreamed about ten years ago, there's little reason why if every member wanted to be able to listen in on meetings, they couldn't do so. Of course one limiting factor is cost. We can't break the bank to bring the meetings to everyone! But the board has made a start and should continue investigating every option available.

As for the parsley ban, I'm not sure how word could have been spread much earlier. I know it hit the Internet and spread like wildfire. KCBS must have a list of all organizers' emails and phone numbers. If it's just for one weekend, it shouldn't have been a big deal to make phone calls as soon as it was known. Then, it has to be on the organizers (which I am one myself) to contact their teams with the news. I think I always do a great job in keeping lines of communication open and as such, I would not have had a problem making 50 phone calls or dividing them up amongst our committee. That all being said, I believe the board members who had no say in determining the ban should not have been left out. No quorum, no official decision! Again, with the technology today, make it happen!

We got calls from the KCBS office as well as posts on the BBQ boards from Merl and calls from the contest organizer. Communication was handled really well.

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
We got calls from the KCBS office as well as posts on the BBQ boards from Merl and calls from the contest organizer. Communication was handled really well.

That's kinda what I figured based on the stir it quickly created. But it's like anything else... I'm sure some organizers did better than others, and some teams might not have been as available to be reached as others, hence the frustration on the part of some folks while others were satisfied. Hopefully in the future ALL are happy with the communication.

motoeric
11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
There is a a lot of good discussion, but it is clear that many have not read the minutes and not aware of the actual votes. Go back and look and see how the people you talk about actually voted. I think it will help to make certain issues about budgets, visibility, and who actually is part of the future or the past will be clear.

Merl

I would love to do exactly that. Is there any place that the minutes are stored online? Very few of us hold on to old Bullsheets.

Eric

motoeric
11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
I will certainly be voting for Barb Milroy!

No offense, but that's not very helpful. Why are you voting for Barb and why would you encourage others to do the same?

Eric

Ford
11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
No offense, but that's not very helpful. Why are you voting for Barb and why would you encourage others to do the same?

Eric
Maybe you need to learn more about Barb and Bill. Barb has one of my votes and I encourage all seruious cooks and others to vote for her. A successful business partner with Bill in the BBQ industry and a top notch cooking team. Anybody that has been competing seriously for a few years should know them.

I also support Mike Lake and Joe Amore and I think they bring necessary qualifications to the BOD. I'm open on my fourth vote. I personally think that Paul Kirk will still pull enough votes to get in and truth is while I'd like to see more reports Paul is a competition cook, an successful restaurant owner and one of the original KCBS gang. If he's elected I'll be fine with it. I like Jeff from Big Creek for a lot of his opinions but must remember he has one vote out of 12. So vote #4 is open now.

Hopefully it will be a good campaign and we'll look at all aspects and not react to rumor and slander.

MilitantSquatter
11-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Maybe you need to learn more about Barb and Bill. Barb has one of my votes and I encourage all seruious cooks and others to vote for her. A successful business partner with Bill in the BBQ industry and a top notch cooking team. Anybody that has been competing seriously for a few years should know them.

Ford - I think that's partially Eric's point.. Aside from an ad in the Bullsheet, it's hard to know everyone.. While I know the Milroy name from their Rib Ranger contest victories and sauces/rubs, I've not met her. Remember, not all KCBS members are long time vets, travel across the country etc. Personal recommendations from those we know are a good start, but supporting info explaining why they would make a great BOD member (aside from being good team) would also be helpful when you don't know someone personally.

Skip
11-01-2009, 07:14 PM

Jeff I'm not sure if you remember but many people took issue with the parsley ban because the KCBS was compromising integrity by have a mid season rule change. Should the sanctioning body compromise itself due to a public health issue best handled by the BOH?

Jeff_in_KC
11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
Jeff I'm not sure if you remember but many people took issue with the parsley ban because the KCBS was compromising integrity by have a mid season rule change. Should the sanctioning body compromise itself due to a public health issue best handled by the BOH?

Hi Skip... as I understood it, the question was in regards to communicating the decision only. Of course any decision needs to be communicated well. While it was not the proper decision IMHO, the communication seemed to be pretty decent. One of the big issues on my platform is not allowing mid-season rule changes. In fact, I would prefer having longer than a few months to make a change effective for two reasons: 1. the "season" begins at different times of the year in different parts of the country and 2. allowing a year or better before implementing rule changes allows everyone to become familiar with the change and to prepare for it, especially if it effects our process at contests. For example, if rules are discussed at the January Rules meeting at the banquet, they would likely be discussed by the Board over the next two months or so. Even if approved I would never want something approved to begin that spring when a majority of the country is just getting ready for the season! It should be January 1 of the following year so we all know it's coming and can prepare for it.

Ford
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Ford - I think that's partially Eric's point.. Aside from an ad in the Bullsheet, it's hard to know everyone.. While I know the Milroy name from their Rib Ranger contest victories and sauces/rubs, I've not met her. Remember, not all KCBS members are long time vets, travel across the country etc. Personal recommendations from those we know are a good start, but supporting info explaining why they would make a great BOD member (aside from being good team) would also be helpful when you don't know someone personally.
Bottom line is I support her. I see no need to explain why or why I don't support somebody else. I made a personal recommendation on this board. There are many excellent candidates ad that's why I said #4 is up for grabs. It's one of many Boards. In the end I doubt that 1000 KCBS members are on this Board and many won't vote or Phil would be on the Board today. With over 12,000 members this electionswill be won by individuals that try to go to contests and try to get their message out to members. But in the end probably 75% of KCBS members will only know the candidates by their Bullsheet write up and their reputation.

I'll be glad to speak offline with anybody about why I support certain people but don't see myself having that discussion in this forum.

monty3777
11-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Eric

No offense taken. Here are my thoughts:

I discovered yesterday, to my joy, that Barb Milroy is a candidate for the 2010 KCBS Board of Directors. She has my complete support – as meaningless as that may be. I have had no conversation with Barb about her candidacy and I am writing this letter without her knowledge.

It would be enough form me that Barb and Bill have been active in competition barbeque for nearly two decades. It would be enough for me that Barb, as part of the Texas Rib Rangers, received a perfect score for sauce at the Jack Daniels Invitational. It would be enough for me that Barb has been an ambassador for the sport and culture of BBQ on such media outlets as the Food Network, The Discovery Channel, and CNN – to name a few.

However, what compels me to support Barb, and ask for your support of her candidacy, is her commitment to the future of competition BBQ. I know from personal experience Barb’s willingness to mentor new cooks and potential teams as they prepare to enter the world of KCBS sanctioned BBQ competitions. Barb and Bill personally hosted me during the 2008 Iowa State BBQ Championship and allowed me to witness their entire production. Barb sat me down and showed me how to trim chicken, prepare brisket, choose the proper ribs and prep pork butt. She also allowed me to watch as she prepared turn-in boxes (which she allowed me to film and post on youtube).
As I prepare for my third season as a competition BBQ cook I have come to realize how unique her generosity was and it shows me that Barb has a commitment to BBQ and the KCBS that goes well beyond any selfish need to be the best. She is a true ambassador, mentor, and diplomat and the members of KCBS would be better off with her in a leadership position.

Barb’s participation in competition BBQ gives her an understanding of the history of the sport and of KCBS, her continued participation gives her full knowledge of the issues currently facing the KCBS, and her mentoring spirit show her commitment to the future of our sport. I encourage you all to support her with your vote, just as she has supported our sport all the years.

motoeric
11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks! I appreciate the background. She sounds like an excellent candidate.

Eric

Plowboy
11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
No offense taken. Here are my thoughts:

I discovered yesterday, to my joy, that Barb Milroy is a candidate for the 2010 KCBS Board of Directors. She has my complete support – as meaningless as that may be. I have had no conversation with Barb about her candidacy and I am writing this letter without her knowledge.

It would be enough form me that Barb and Bill have been active in competition barbeque for nearly two decades. It would be enough for me that Barb, as part of the Texas Rib Rangers, received a perfect score for sauce at the Jack Daniels Invitational. It would be enough for me that Barb has been an ambassador for the sport and culture of BBQ on such media outlets as the Food Network, The Discovery Channel, and CNN – to name a few.

However, what compels me to support Barb, and ask for your support of her candidacy, is her commitment to the future of competition BBQ. I know from personal experience Barb’s willingness to mentor new cooks and potential teams as they prepare to enter the world of KCBS sanctioned BBQ competitions. Barb and Bill personally hosted me during the 2008 Iowa State BBQ Championship and allowed me to witness their entire production. Barb sat me down and showed me how to trim chicken, prepare brisket, choose the proper ribs and prep pork butt. She also allowed me to watch as she prepared turn-in boxes (which she allowed me to film and post on youtube).
As I prepare for my third season as a competition BBQ cook I have come to realize how unique her generosity was and it shows me that Barb has a commitment to BBQ and the KCBS that goes well beyond any selfish need to be the best. She is a true ambassador, mentor, and diplomat and the members of KCBS would be better off with her in a leadership position.

Barb’s participation in competition BBQ gives her an understanding of the history of the sport and of KCBS, her continued participation gives her full knowledge of the issues currently facing the KCBS, and her mentoring spirit show her commitment to the future of our sport. I encourage you all to support her with your vote, just as she has supported our sport all the years.

Your third paragraph is NOT "enough for me". Success and tenure alone are not enough for me. I see two BOD members today with resumes as long as many of us put together that are as worthless as they come.

Your fourth paragraph IS "enough for me". I want someone who is involved... really involved at the competition level. This can be a cook, an organizer, a rep, or... maybe... a judge, but I think the first three are very important. A good BOD member must, must, must know what it is like to be a part of a contest in today's post modern comp BBQ age. I want someone who has the interests of others in mind more than themselves, or at least as much.

I don't know Barb, contrary to Ford's statement that anyone who's been seriously involved in BBQ should know her. I know OF her. I know of their team. I know of their history. I don't know her or anything about her. Your endorsement from paragraph 4 has my attention. Thank you for that.

My advise to voters is be careful to vote for someone because they are well known. Make sure you know that there is substance behind the name. We've voted some poor BOD members into office in the past because they were well known. Look at the record for a track record.

stlgreg
11-02-2009, 02:24 PM
I have my ballot narrowed down to 6....are we sure we can't elect 6? :)

Plowboy
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Not saying that being a cook is the only qualification for the job, but I thought it was interesting that they all have a team name. All information was derived from The Pickled Pig since I can't get this information easily from the KCBS Website or from invitational contests, which Pickled Pig doesn't track.

Just for sake of interesting facts... nothing more. Here are the number of 2009 contests by Team. I know for a fact that Bunny and Linda do cook. Bunny has cooked with other teams this year and not under her own team name. So we do have at least a half dozen 2009 KCBS contests under the belts of almost all of these candidates. That's a good thing.

26 - Joe Amore Smoky Mountain Smokers Sevierville, TN
6 - Randy Bigler JC’s Pit Crew Huntsville, AL
4 - John Kirby Backyard Burners Baltimore, MD
2 (as Chef Use Ta Was... none under The Baron of BBQ) - *Paul Kirk The Baron and his Pitmasters Roeland Park, KS
8 (including Qlossal)- *Mike Lake Rock River BBQ Shannon, Il
11 - Barb Milroy Texas Rib Rangers Denton, TX
None that I could find - *Linda Mullane Pig Daddy’s BBQ Williamstown, NJ
7 - Jim Stancil Bare Knuckles BBQ Oxford, GA
7 - (including GAB Invitational)Jeff Stith Big Creek BBQ Pleasant Hill, MO
None that I could find under their team - Bunny Tuttle KCass BBQ Pleasant Hill, MO
15 (including the Royal Invitational) - Candy Weaver BBQR’S Delight Pine Bluff, AR

arlieque
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Plowboy,

A good BOD member must have a clear mind and support all its members and most of all not have a agenda coming into the position. Looking at just the names you mentioned two of them will be running with a agenda already and that is sad!!! Guess that means they will not get my votes?

With more info over the next few weeks we will find out more to help us in our selections! I am down to 5 people now, most likely only vote for 2 or 3 though.

Arlie

Bunny
11-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Not saying that being a cook is the only qualification for the job, but I thought it was interesting that they all have a team name. All information was derived from The Pickled Pig since I can't get this information easily from the KCBS Website or from invitational contests, which Pickled Pig doesn't track.

Just for sake of interesting facts... nothing more. Here are the number of 2009 contests by Team. I know for a fact that Bunny and Linda do cook. Bunny has cooked with other teams this year and not under her own team name. So we do have at least a half dozen 2009 KCBS contests under the belts of almost all of these candidates. That's a good thing.

2 (as Chef Use Ta Was... none under The Baron of BBQ) - *Paul Kirk The Baron and his Pitmasters Roeland Park, KS
None that I could find under their team - Bunny Tuttle KCass BBQ Pleasant Hill, MO
15 (including the Royal Invitational) - Candy Weaver BBQR’S Delight Pine Bluff, AR

Todd,
We did cook the Sprint center, cooked with Ribs a Rockin in Stagecoach CA for a two KCBS contest and IBCA and one in Harrisonville with Big Creek. This was actually our first year we didn't cook much. It was a first and missed it a lot!

Plowboy
11-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Todd,
We did cook the Sprint center, cooked with Ribs a Rockin in Stagecoach CA for a two KCBS contest and IBCA and one in Harrisonville with Big Creek. This was actually our first year we didn't cook much. It was a first and missed it a lot!

I knew you had cooked a few this year cause I'd been seeing you out there.

The other thing about Bunny that folks should know is that when she isn't cooking or Rep'ing or volunteering, she's at contests hanging out. Bunny's been doing this for many years and has been all over the country. She has her finger on the pulse of what's happening out at the contests. Those are the kinds of people I want in the board room.

arlieque
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Simple question:

For all the candidates running for the board how about a quick 50 words or less about why you are running for the board, what you dont like about the current affairs of KCBS and how you would do to change them if elected. Also with a yes / no answer would you make the meetings open to all members through a streaming podcast like listening to a radio station on the internet?

Thanks, Arlie

Bunny
11-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks Todd, for the kind words. You know how much barbecue and the society means to me. So I appreciate you.

Arlie,
Yes, I would love for the meetings to be open if we get a system we can afford. That's been the main reason for the "no" votes, not because we didn't want it. There's a lot of members out there in the techy field and surely we can come up with something.

Jeff_in_KC
11-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Arlie, those are some great questions but they are all part of the election questionnaire that we are preparing our answers to. They should all be submitted in a week and a half or so. I know exactly why I'm running and although my heart could shout why, I'm taking the time to put it in writing correctly.

LindaM
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Just an FYI I compete with Jack McDavid when I am not repping. This year I did 3 contests, next year probably a few more. As well as rep for 12 contests and 11 CBJ classes.

arlieque
11-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks Todd, for the kind words. You know how much barbecue and the society means to me. So I appreciate you.

Arlie,
Yes, I would love for the meetings to be open if we get a system we can afford. That's been the main reason for the "no" votes, not because we didn't want it. There's a lot of members out there in the techy field and surely we can come up with something.

Thanks Bunny , I await the rest of your answers but so you know a podcast would be free and or video like Shigs did at the Jack awards, it really isnt a big thing so that is why the general memebrship is puzzled at the NO votes.

Plowboy
11-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Just an FYI I compete with Jack McDavid when I am not repping. This year I did 3 contests, next year probably a few more. As well as rep for 12 contests and 11 CBJ classes.

Thanks for chiming in. Can I cook with Jack McDavid? :mrgreen:

Plowboy
11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Bunny , I await the rest of your answers but so you know a podcast would be free and or video like Shigs did at the Jack awards, it really isnt a big thing so that is why the general memebrship is puzzled at the NO votes.

Greg Rempe broadcasts over the Internet every week for the BBQ Central Show. Someone to talk to.

arlieque
11-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Greg Rempe broadcasts over the Internet every week for the BBQ Central Show. Someone to talk to.

Yep and we all can listen for free, then why not a board meeting? Any new candidates have a problem with that? Also funny how we only have a few chime in, sort of makes me wonder why?

Arlie

Spydermike72
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Freeconferencecall.com... it does have a limit of 96 participants. Also Blogtalkradio.com is free and you could listen to the meetings for free on the internet. There are a ton of free options. Skype,MSN and others...

Bunny
11-02-2009, 07:59 PM

I agree with Jeff Stith and the answers to the questionaires should help many of you decide on casting your ballot. I worked on mine today and you should be able to read everyones in Dec's BS.

Thanks, Arlie,
Bunny

arlieque
11-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I agree with Jeff Stith and the answers to the questionaires should help many of you decide on casting your ballot. I worked on mine today and you should be able to read everyones in Dec's BS.

Thanks, Arlie,
Bunny

If I were running I would be answering any and all questions asked on line and in public view. Why wait for a form printed in the Bullsheet that some wont even get till mid December. Why if this is important enough for one to run would you in your right mind want to wait 30 days till get your agenda out? Most will have there mind made up long before then based on like of communications from the candidates. That has been a big part of the problem.

Also as stared above a podcast etc could have already been done.............

Arlie

Jeff_in_KC
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM
If I were running I would be answering any and all questions asked on line and in public view. Why wait for a form printed in the Bullsheet that some wont even get till mid December. Why if this is important enough for one to run would you in your right mind want to wait 30 days till get your agenda out? Most will have there mind made up long before then based on like of communications from the candidates. That has been a big part of the problem.

Also as stared above a podcast etc could have already been done.............

Arlie

Arlie, practically everything I've stated since my August 21 announcement is on my Web site. I invite you to check it out any time.

arlieque
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Arlie, practically everything I've stated since my August 21 announcement is on my Web site. I invite you to check it out any time.

Yes it is Jeff and you have been good about answering any questions asked. Doesnt it seem funny that some will not answer though, they seem to sit around and lure but dont answer. Guess they dont know you can see they are online at the bottom of the page. Being out there and up front is the best way and you have done a good job. Keep it up!

Spydermike72
11-03-2009, 04:54 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, and mods please take appropriate action if deemed necessary. I have added a forum to the GLBBQA's forum for all of the 2010 KCBS Candidates to come and post their platform and answer any questions that the GLBBQA members (most are KCBS members as well) may have. If you are a candidate please surf on over and register and post away. I would also encourage you to post on The Brethren as well. The more people you can reach the better. Good Luck to all of the candidates. Hijack over... :mrgreen:

drbbq
11-03-2009, 06:07 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, and mods please take appropriate action if deemed necessary. I have added a forum to the GLBBQA's forum for all of the 2010 KCBS Candidates to come and post their platform and answer any questions that the GLBBQA members (most are KCBS members as well) may have. If you are a candidate please surf on over and register and post away. I would also encourage you to post on The Brethren as well. The more people you can reach the better. Good Luck to all of the candidates. Hijack over... :mrgreen:

I'm thinking it's more of an ad than a hijack.

Bunny
11-03-2009, 07:11 AM

I got on to check out the Brethern this morning and as soon as I get home from work tonight, I will post. I will also check out your forum, Mike.
Thanks,
Bunny

ThomEmery
11-03-2009, 07:44 AM

Post this on Bassos also :)
Do you have a special KCBS Election Discount on Rubs Package?
Nice meeting you at the Jack

ThomEmery
11-03-2009, 07:46 AM
I hope at sometime the candidates share what they plan to DO.
This "No Report" silliness has to end

monty3777
11-03-2009, 08:07 AM
As I see it, all these BBQ boards - and there are a ton - are like little corners of an elementary school playground. They are essentially on-line cliques (and this is the best clique by far!!!). It makes perfect sense to me that someone running for the BOD would stay clear of these individual cliques and concentrate on communicating through a more national organ like the Bullsheet. Certainly some candidates will use these boards as their "base" and others will make their statements on the boards out of pressure - but if a candidate chooses to bypass each of these boards then maybe that's appropriate.

In addition, those running for the BOD who actually have lives and no time to lurk and post every five seconds on the Brethren :lol: should not be excluded from consideration because they don't play on the same playground.

timzcardz
11-03-2009, 08:25 AM
There was talk about budgets earlier in this thread, so, if anyone is interested in perusing KCBS' 990 form filed with the IRS each year, you can do so at http://www2.guidestar.org/

Copies of 2008, 2007 and 2006 are available.

Interstingly the organization ran at a $75K Deficit for 2008.

You can also look up any other not-for-profit there.

Spydermike72
11-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Post this on Bassos also :)
Do you have a special KCBS Election Discount on Rubs Package?
Nice meeting you at the Jack

Yeah, that isnt going to happen...
I think that is a great idea on the rub package.

It was nice meeting you as well at the Jack.

Spydermike72
11-03-2009, 09:52 AM
As I see it, all these BBQ boards - and there are a ton - are like little corners of an elementary school playground. They are essentially on-line cliques (and this is the best clique by far!!!). It makes perfect sense to me that someone running for the BOD would stay clear of these individual cliques and concentrate on communicating through a more national organ like the Bullsheet. Certainly some candidates will use these boards as their "base" and others will make their statements on the boards out of pressure - but if a candidate chooses to bypass each of these boards then maybe that's appropriate.

Or it could make sense that the candidates can address issues that effect the regional "cliques" who also happen to be members...

LindaM
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for chiming in. Can I cook with Jack McDavid? :mrgreen:

Not sure you would want to :) But anytime you are up this way stop by.

Scottie
11-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Todd,

I can verify that Bunny was at Stagecoach... I got meself a hug!!! :wink:

monty3777
11-03-2009, 11:48 AM
Or it could make sense that the candidates can address issues that effect the regional "cliques" who also happen to be members...

Absolutely, however the suggestion was being made that by not posting on this board particular members/candidates we being less than fully engaged with constituents. I think that is unreasonable. If a BOD member is lurking but not posting, so what? Perhaps it shows that that particular member is keeping up on the issues important to members - even if they choose not to respond.

However, all this is quite beside the point and I'm sorry if I am diverting the thread from the real issue: who's running and why.

Skip
11-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I will admit that I am checking this thread religiously to see who I will be voting for. I am not familiar with many of the candidates and as such am trying to learn more about their stance. Since I have the opportunity to vote four times I would like to cast those four votes. As it stands I am only using 2. I think there are definitely candidates that deserve the other two and will continue to try and learn more about them.

CivilWarBBQ
11-03-2009, 02:30 PM

In addition, those running for the BOD who actually have lives and no time to lurk and post every five seconds on the Brethren :lol: should not be excluded from consideration because they don't play on the same playground.

That's probably the most accurate and honest assessment of how BBQ Forums operate I've ever read, though I might disagree with your opinion on the value of one venue over another.

I'm thrilled that we have some excellent candidates to choose from this time around, including at least a couple that can't be intimidated. Things were looking pretty grim this year, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Bunny
11-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Here's the questions given to me and how I responded.--Bunny

1. Please describe the skills you possess (which you believe are stronger than the other candidates) which would make you an asset as a board member, in dealing with the challenges facing KCBS, and give an example of how those skills would serve the KCBS board of Directors and its membership.
I am a past KCBS Board member and served as secretary. I understand what is involved for the Board position. I’ve also worked as a KCBS staff member as Editor-in-Chief of the KC Bullsheet 8 years which taught me respect towards office personnel. I am an active Master Judge, Certified Barbeque Instructor and a KCBS Contest Rep. And as my first love, and why I got involved in KCBS in the first place is because I am an active cooker on KCass BBQ Team, along with my husband Rich, established since 1987. I know the rules, understand the activity in each area and respect all of those involved.

2. If you are a Cook, Judge, Rep or Backyard Cook, please identify the major KCBS issues concerning, one of areas in which you are involved. Describe the major issue, your strategies to correct or improve the issue, and what you see as the biggest challenge to the success of your plan.
First off, respect needs to come back to the BOD meetings. Whether I am a cook, judge, or rep, there is no excuse for disrespect when working out concerns for KCBS cookers, judges, reps or organizers. I have learned much patience over the years in my field working with the public for 37 years. The respect will start with me.

I am also very concerned that we need to be training more reps, which is now at a standstill. We’ve lost at least a half a dozen since training ceased. Contests have had a very healthy growth spurt and it takes time to teach each individual. We’ve got some great members out there who would love to participate in the KCBS rep program. I would invite them to the next rep meeting and get started.

As a cooker, I think we’ve had overkill on the rules. The Board needs to stop adding more rules and/or addendums during the middle of the season. It is not only frustrating to the reps but allows for more mistakes as a whole. Let’s use more common sense and allow our reps to do their job we’ve asked them to do.

3. Identify your major short term goal and the major long term goal, if elected to the Board of KCBS and your plan to implement change or improvement in order to carry out each of these goals.
I believe I’ve already answered my short term goals on question two. My long term goal would be to serve KCBS on the things that matter as best as I can with the time I have to serve. That means actually listening to the members, cookers, organizers and judges. This organization consists of people who have a great passion for barbecue and love to have fun. I’ve seen a lot of it and I’ve seen not enough of it. The mission of KCBS is to promote barbecue. So I will promote barbecue and have fun while doing so and bring out more of it in our members. And in order to do that, as I stated before, it will start with me.

4. If elected please explain “you level of commitment, time and energy” for committee projects and monthly reports, board meetings and attendance, as well as representing KCBS to the public and being responsive to our members.
I know how much time is involved. That’s why I thought long and hard before I said yes to my nomination. I’ve had two years to take a break from KCBS and realized I wish I still had some input on the Board to help solve some of the cooker’s complaints as well as the judges and organizers. I also know how much energy it takes to sit on the Board. I was the chairperson for the Contest Rep Committee for three years with a fantastic group of committee members who I’ve learned to love and respect. I don’t intend to lose that.

5. Please describe your previous participation in KCBS activities and years of experience.
You have already learned about my participation in KCBS since 1987 and what I am involved in still. But during that two year break, Rich and I joined up with the Kooker’s Kare run by Craig and Patty Kidwell, Boy’s of BBQ & Patty. Kookers Kare Inc is a group of charitable volunteers aiding those in need. They provide freshly cooked and non –perishable food to food pantries such as Harvesters Food Network. They are integral part of the KCBS. Rich and I find it a priceless organization and well worth the extra time spent. So I plan to continue to stay with Kooker’s Kare as well as my participation I already have in KCBS.

6. Please explain why you want to be a member of the KCBS Board.
To help promote barbecue, represent the members and concerns and and passions of bbq while having fun. If anyone has a question, please feel free to email me anytime at kcassbbq@embarqmail.com (kcassbbq@embarqmail.com) or call 816/560-5308.