PDA

View Full Version : "To inject or not to inject"

Big B
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Okay, maybe this is treading upon dangerous ground of giving secrets away, but any info would be appreciated. I've injected both chicken and pork before, but I have never injected my brisket and wanting to experiment a little. For those of you who do inject briskets, do you inject both fat side and meat side or just one side only. And does it make that much of a difference?

Jacked UP BBQ
10-29-2009, 11:24 AM
FAB - makes everything better. With the grain!

musicmanryann
10-29-2009, 11:31 AM
We inject and use Butcher's. It would seem to me that if you do what OC suggested, inject with the grain, it should matter what side you do it on, it will pentrate through the meat while marinating.

Skip
10-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I've "burned" meat injecting with the grain. Maybe overload maybe too much acid but never seem to do it when going across the grain.

As for fat or meat side I use the side of the flat to inject. I don't normally penetrate the meat on top or bottom side. My injector normally penetrates far enough on the sides to suffice.

RubMeTender
10-29-2009, 12:17 PM
If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.

Big B
10-29-2009, 02:30 PM
When you say with the grain, do you mean your just injecting straight down on the meat side, or do you go in on an angle trying to follow the grain so as to keep the marinade in the meat.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-29-2009, 02:32 PM
I go on an angle, I am not saying what I do is right, but it works for us.

Neal
10-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Instructions on the Butcher website...superior product as well...

http://www.butcherbbq.com/

Bones
10-29-2009, 03:29 PM
If you do decide to inject your brisket shield your eyes! Somehow that injection finds it's way through the grains and can get everywhere. I've injected the bottom of one side, and it comes out the top on the other side.
Wrap the brisket in plastic wrap and it will help keep it from flying all over the place. It will find its way out through the holes in the plastic.
I inject into the side of the meat. I use a 4" long needle and get halfway across the meat. Hope this helps.

Big B
10-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks everyone, this helps a bunch!

Butcher BBQ
10-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Big B I have done it several ways, the only reason for trying different styles in injecting would be for saturation of you product with the injection. With this in mind I have done it several ways and have found that if you go thru the grains and pull the needle out slowly while injecting you won't gain a pocket but it will go thru the layers of meat fibers. I have done it several ways and then cut the meat exactly where i injected to see what happened inside the muscle and this was the best dispersing that I found.
Also inject from the side that will be on top when cooking so it can't leach out. Some products on the market don't have the proper ingredients in it to help this from happening, ours does and so does FAB.

Scottie
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Interesting tip on the leaching out David. Thank you.

Butcher BBQ
10-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Interesting tip on the leaching out David. Thank you.

Dude I ment to black that out to where only the original thread starter could read that.

Sledneck
10-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Inject thru the cryovac, Holds it all in there.

dgassaway
10-30-2009, 01:57 AM

What Sled said.

Much easier. Bring it home, inject broth in the top side thru the cryovac and in the fridge overnight. Next day cut the cryovac, dry the brisket and apply rub. That the way I've done the last few and they have all turned out well.

Pig Headed
10-30-2009, 05:56 AM

I agree with Sled too. Wear an apron too, it does seem to find any way out it can. I also agree with using Butcher. Works for us.

pigmaker23
10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Inject Brisket ?? Noooooooooooooo

Divemaster
10-30-2009, 09:06 AM
Inject Brisket ?? Noooooooooooooo
I agree... Tried it once and ended up with my worst scores ever... Didn't do it at Libertyville and took 1st....

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM
inject the living carp out of it and let the judges sort it out! heck if injecting with rattle snake urine would win I would do it.

by the way, does anyone have a cup of rattle snake pee I can borrow?

Sal

JD McGee
10-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Paul (The Pickled Pig and a BBQ Brethren) has an excellent tutorial that you might want to check out! :-P
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/703-award-winning-competition-brisket.html

Plowboy
10-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Big B I have done it several ways, the only reason for trying different styles in injecting would be for saturation of you product with the injection. With this in mind I have done it several ways and have found that if you go thru the grains and pull the needle out slowly while injecting you won't gain a pocket but it will go thru the layers of meat fibers. I have done it several ways and then cut the meat exactly where i injected to see what happened inside the muscle and this was the best dispersing that I found.
Also inject from the side that will be on top when cooking so it can't leach out. Some products on the market don't have the proper ingredients in it to help this from happening, ours does and so does FAB.

Okay funny story. At the American Royal Invitational, I begged David to come over and teach me how he injects brisket. I've been using Butcher BBQ brisket injection since it came out three years ago. David and I have talked a lot about the product, but never sat down with a brisket and worked through the process. I think my process of injection has worked, but I'm always wanting to listen and learn more.

The Royal being what it is, we could never hook up on Friday and I ended up doing my thing. Fast forward to the next day's Invitational Awards... 2nd Place Brisket: Butcher BBQ... 1st Place Brisket: Pork Pullin Plowboys. I go up and stand beside David. He leans over and says, "Guess you didn't need me to show you how to inject that brisket now did you?" A classic moment for sure.

Huge fan of David's product and have converted many. With the grain for me.

bam
10-31-2009, 08:47 AM
After coming in DAL in brisket we inject,inject,inject.

KC_Bobby
10-31-2009, 09:57 AM
For those of you you inject while in packaging ... do you trim after injection or no trim at all?

I learned this summer to not over inject - that made the product taste salty.

Smokin Mike
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Okay funny story. At the American Royal Invitational, I begged David to come over and teach me how he injects brisket. I've been using Butcher BBQ brisket injection since it came out three years ago. David and I have talked a lot about the product, but never sat down with a brisket and worked through the process. I think my process of injection has worked, but I'm always wanting to listen and learn more.

The Royal being what it is, we could never hook up on Friday and I ended up doing my thing. Fast forward to the next day's Invitational Awards... 2nd Place Brisket: Butcher BBQ... 1st Place Brisket: Pork Pullin Plowboys. I go up and stand beside David. He leans over and says, "Guess you didn't need me to show you how to inject that brisket now did you?" A classic moment for sure.

Huge fan of David's product and have converted many. With the grain for me.

great story, thanks for sharing.

Big B
10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Yes, I agree! Great story, thanks for sharing. This is all been really informative, thanks everyone.

monty3777
10-31-2009, 03:46 PM
I was told/taught to mix Butcher so that it's a little on the thin and runny side (ie, more water and less of the mixture). During the last comp of the season I finally mixed it as per the instructions. First and only call in brisket of the year.

monty3777
10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
For those of you you inject while in packaging ... do you trim after injection or no trim at all?

Another question, wouldn't pushing the needle through cryo or plastic risk getting little bits of that wrapping into the meat itself?

Butcher BBQ
10-31-2009, 07:26 PM
I was told/taught to mix Butcher so that it's a little on the thin and runny side (ie, more water and less of the mixture). During the last comp of the season I finally mixed it as per the instructions. First and only call in brisket of the year.

Thanks, Trust your Butcher.

Plowboy
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
Another question, wouldn't pushing the needle through cryo or plastic risk getting little bits of that wrapping into the meat itself?

I've always thought the same thing. Never noticed them. I suppose the melt when cooked. :mrgreen:

Butcher BBQ
10-31-2009, 09:25 PM
I've always thought the same thing. Never noticed them. I suppose the melt when cooked. :mrgreen:

Yea thats the unrepeatable flavor that is hard to get everytime. Its like having a grease fire and getting a 1st and then you question your whole way of thinking.

Plowboy
10-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Yea thats the unrepeatable flavor that is hard to get everytime. Its like having a grease fire and getting a 1st and then you question your whole way of thinking.

Oh, I can repeat grease fires. Placed in chicken both times. Ask Mokan Meathead (Wayne) about it. He saw how bad my chicken was burnt. Pulled a 10th place. :lol: I don't know where you find six judges without taste buds.

Kosmo's Q
11-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Try out each one and use what you like!

Alexa RnQ
11-01-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't know where you find six judges without taste buds.
The same place you find about thirty-five of them.

Ba-dum-bum.

*** I didn't type that!!! It was my evil twin, I swear, who can't pass up a straight line like that! I love judges, I do I do I do, we can't have contests without them! ***

Divemaster
11-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Oh, I can repeat grease fires. Placed in chicken both times. Ask Mokan Meathead (Wayne) about it. He saw how bad my chicken was burnt. Pulled a 10th place. :lol: I don't know where you find six judges without taste buds.

The same place you find about thirty-five of them.

Ba-dum-bum.

*** I didn't type that!!! It was my evil twin, I swear, who can't pass up a straight line like that! I love judges, I do I do I do, we can't have contests without them! ***
Damn, ya beat me to it.... lol

Sledneck
11-06-2009, 11:09 PM

Trim after