PDA

View Full Version : NY Area Teams

motoeric
10-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I'm not asking for a hard and fast commitment here, just gauging general interest.

How many of you would be interested in competing at an event where you were able to vend to the public if a contest was held in a fairly high profile location on Long Island in the spring?

You would of course have to have a one day permit from the Dept. of Health and appropriate insurance, but if two teams work under the same 'umbrella' you might be able to team up on that, cutting those costs in half.

Thanks,

Eric

Jacked UP BBQ
10-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm in!

Sawdustguy
10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
The Polocks will do it. Taking this season off sucked. I can't wait until next year!

SmokeInDaEye
10-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Maybe. How hard is it to get a one day permit and how much does it cost?

Jacked UP BBQ
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
One day permit is about 65 bucks, it is not very hard to get at all. I can pm anyone the tricks around some of the questions if needed.

SmokeInDaEye
10-26-2009, 11:54 AM
One day permit is about 65 bucks, it is not very hard to get at all. I can pm anyone the tricks around some of the questions if needed.

Ah cool. Ya'll did a killer business vending yesterday. That line was nuts.

MAsQue
10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
We'd be interested, Eric.

smokinit
10-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Let us know.

Muzzlebrake
10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
definitely maybe possibly be interested

Sledneck
10-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Need more info on the insurance requirements

dreed
10-26-2009, 09:31 PM
We would be interested.

Smokin J
10-26-2009, 09:35 PM
We're in. We already have the insurance and the Special Events Vehicle permit for the year, so we are covered.

Frank Sacco
10-26-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm not sure about participating as a vendor but if someone needs a hand.... I'll pit bitch for a day. PM me when the time comes.

timzcardz
10-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Competing, yes, if schedule permits.
Vending, no.

rbsnwngs
10-27-2009, 07:21 AM
I would be very interested in attending this event

Cue's Your Daddy
10-27-2009, 07:57 AM
would consider it

drumfreak
10-27-2009, 08:59 AM
If I teamed up with somebody else, I would consider it.

WannaBeBBQueen
10-27-2009, 09:13 AM
hmmm sounds interesting...

CTSmokehouse
10-27-2009, 09:18 AM
Competing: Yes, Vending: No

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Westexbbq
10-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I too would be glad to assist/help a competing/vending team if needed.

Sledneck
10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
Besides the insurance requirements, will this event be sanctioned? state championship?

early mornin' smokin'
10-27-2009, 12:17 PM
good questions sled...my teammates are not the biggest fan of traveling, so another event on li would be awesome, 2 state championships this year, possibly 3 next, count me in, vending, no way no how

MrsBigBarry
10-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd be interested. Whether helping someone or us doing it on our own.

nancee
10-27-2009, 08:34 PM
defintely interested
thanks

Skip
10-27-2009, 09:13 PM
Hmmm I think I'd pass

Sledneck
10-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I would do it if it was sanctioned by the FBA

Skip
10-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Unless your goal is to make a lot of money and you are willing to take the risk in outlay for all that food its really not an amatuers world. Matt (OC PIG ASSASSINS) can tell you that its not all fun and games. Vending requires a lot of dedication, a lot of risk, a group of really good people who don't expect a lot of pay and a considerable monetary investment to get enough raw product to actually make the vend worth your while. We decided to try it at Harpoon and although you make money its not a lot and when all is said and done and you add up your time you made nothing and had to pay tax on yoursales even though you didn't get a tax credit when you bought the raw materials. We said never again after our first vend and have found a number of teams who said the same. I think it would be good if our vending Brethren would give the non vendors a look at the hard knocks and not the glory side.

Also with everyone vending what happens to the people on the end of the row when everyone gets to them already full? It seems like a nightmare of an idea to me. I see people losing larges amounts of money while skilled vendors with good booths and draws cleaning up.

Muzzlebrake
10-28-2009, 12:05 PM
I have one word for all of you nay sayers...Harpoon

Sledneck
10-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I have one word for all of you nay sayers...HarpoonFree beer to the teams? that would be nice

Westexbbq
10-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Excellent idea, that.

Skip
10-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I have one word for all of you nay sayers...Harpoon

Is that to back up the nays? Harpoon requires a kick back and you are taxed on everything you earn. Since most don't have a tax exempt number that's taxing taxed product. Seems excessive. If you don't get the premium spots at the entrance you make nothing. Most break even while others lose.

Muzzlebrake
10-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Is that to back up the nays? Harpoon requires a kick back and you are taxed on everything you earn. Since most don't have a tax exempt number that's taxing taxed product. Seems excessive. If you don't get the premium spots at the entrance you make nothing. Most break even while others lose.

I havent't done it myself but from whomever I have talked to. I've heard nothing but good about vending at Harpoon and it seems to be one of the reasons to suck it up and write an essay.
I don't get what you are talking about the taxes though......

Free beer to the teams? that would be nice
my favorite kind of beer........free :biggrin:
of course this may be why I haven't heard anything bad about the vending:biggrin:

Skip
10-28-2009, 12:34 PM
I havent't done it myself but from whomever I have talked to. I've heard nothing but good about vending at Harpoon and it seems to be one of the reasons to suck it up and write an essay.
I don't get what you are talking about the taxes though......

All your earnings for the day are taxed at 9% and a 1% vig is paid to Harpoon for the opportunity.

Muzzlebrake
10-28-2009, 12:46 PM
All your earnings for the day are taxed at 9% and a 1% vig is paid to Harpoon for the opportunity.

who does the 9% go to, state income tax?
from the research I have done 1% is nothing, many places charge vendors 20-40%. Check out this thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71090)

early mornin' smokin'
10-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I coulda made some money at sayville if we were allowed to sell our stuff, but honestly all the thank you's and accolades were more than enough. Its a big enough pain in the arse having all your comp meat ready....now imagine doing triple that just to make it worth your while...idk, not my idea of a good time.

motoeric
10-28-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm not going to go into much more detail about this until things are further along, but there would be no vending fee and no vig.

Just your standard fee to compete.

Eric

MAsQue
10-28-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm afraid I would have to disagree with Skip regarding vending at Harpoon. We had the site next to the Swamp Pit and made several hundred dollars with what I consider to be minimal additional cooking effort and expense. Since we vended only on Sunday, I used the leftovers from the Saturday KCBS turn ins (pork and brisket), which required only chopping, saucing and keeping hot in chafing dishes. I grant that I didn't pay tax on the meat I purchased (I was, after all, plannning on selling it), but even if I had I would have come out well ahead. Unless you're doing thousands in sales, the 1% vig is trivial. If I had it to do over, I probably would pass on the grilling event and spend Sunday just vending and talking with the crowd. As it was, I sold out of meat and probably could have sold more than I did, but I wasn't looking at making a lot of money vending, I was happy just to break even on expenses for the weekend, and I did at least that.

BigBarry
10-28-2009, 02:56 PM
We would consider it.