PDA

View Full Version : Missed the throwdown

chambersuac
10-26-2009, 09:11 AM
I missed the deadline for the Throwdown, but here's the chili I made for our local chili cookoff yesterday. It won first place in Chef's Choice and People's Choice (in the spicy category).

I was inspired by BobBrisket's chili last week. Thanks, Bob! It is a modified version of the brisket chili recipe in the recipe section. I used some brisket that my daughter helped me cook last week. I cooked it in a dutch oven on the BGE with a little bit of mesquite.

Pretty tasty, despite the poor photography!

Enjoy!

bigabyte
10-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Looks fantastic!:cool:

smknhotmama
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow! Congrats!!!

Phesant
10-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Oh that looks so good...... Congrats of placing......

deguerre
10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Dang! Still two hours til lunch! Looks awsome.

Big George's BBQ
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
That looks really good

landarc
10-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Nice job Dan and congrats on the fine finish.

skeetman
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Looks good! If I had any left over brisket from Sunday I would be using it for chili, 9# brisket and no left overs.

chambersuac
10-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys. Last year (at this same cook off) the category was "Spiciest". The rule was that the chili could be as hot as you wanted, but the cook had to be able to eat a whole bowl - to make sure people didn't over do it. I won that hands down. The owner of the winery where it is held - and his wife, the organizer of the event, decided to change the category to just "Spicy". I was reminded of the change a few times.

This year, I toned it waaayyyy down. And was thrilled to get the call. When they were announcing winners, they announced that they changed it "because of Dan Chambers - his chili was so spicy last year, my husband couldn't eat anything spicy for three months." I admit, it WAS spicy, but not too much so, or so I thought.

This year I took a bowl of various peppers in case someone really wanted it hot...

bigabyte
10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Funny story about the too spicy part. I did something similar at a PTA Chili Night once after my wife bragged about brisket chili that's spicy to all her acquaintances. It was the first of the crock pots to empty, but you could see lots of people crying all around. I thought it was funny. I actually toned it down so I didn't find it all that spicy.

Phubar
10-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Don't care about the poor quality of pics,just gimme a plate of that.....or 2!
Congratsz!

cowgirl
10-26-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow that looks great Dan! Bet it was tasty too. Congratulations on the win!!:cool:

Markbb
10-26-2009, 02:56 PM
OoOoOOoOo that looks good!!!!!

Abelman
10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Looks excellent Dan amd Contats! Is that a serrano I'm seeing in the second pic?

I Really need to do a brisket chili. We have a good blast of snow coming in the next few days so it might be just the time.

tubadude
10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Congrats on your finish. It sure looks mighty fine there my friend!

Que-Dawg
10-26-2009, 05:24 PM
yum yum yum!!! that now my friend looks good

Rich Parker
10-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Nice chili Dan!

chambersuac
10-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Looks excellent Dan amd Contats! Is that a serrano I'm seeing in the second pic?

I Really need to do a brisket chili. We have a good blast of snow coming in the next few days so it might be just the time.

Yes sir, it is a serrano. I took a bowl of Bhut Jolokia and Chili Pequins for those who wanted it a bit spicier.

Abelman
10-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Yes sir, it is a serrano. I took a bowl of Bhut Jolokia and Chili Pequins for those who wanted it a bit spicier.

Ah yes, the Ghost Pepper :wink: Have a few around here. They will get a good sweat going!!

That said, I really like serranos and they are some good growers out here. I pickled 2 jars for the first time this year. Been capped for 5 weeks, one more and I'll break them open and see what happened.