PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Brethren Throwdown Calendar?

bigabyte
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Mark, the Quintessential Chatty Farker that he is, has came to me with a good idea (we thought it was a good idea anyway). A BBQ Brethren Throwdown Calendar with the best entries of the last year, and also an Overall Winner for the past year.

We are approaching the 52nd contest/week, so this is perfect timing really. The 52nd Throwdown would run from 12/4 - 12/13, pretty much just in time for the New Year, and for many of us, new calendars.

Here is what I am thinking. We divide the 52 categories into 13 groups of 4, and have voting threads for the favorite of each group of 4. These 13 would go in the calendar. Of these 13 there would be a final vote for the favorite among them and that one would go on the cover for the whole thing. The other 12 would each get assigned a month in the calendar.

As for making the calendar, we have many options it seems. I could use a site like mycalendarmaker.com (http://www.mycalendarmaker.com/index.jsp) to make one myself using their software. Once the calendar is set up it can be generated as a PDF file and anyone who wants one can get this PDF file and print it up on their own to make their own calendar.

We could also have our own calendars printed up from many other sites offering customized calendars, but each one has a minimum order and the cost would get higher after that considering after I receive the order, each one would also have to be shipped. Thus we would need to have a number of orders figured out beforehand, money collected, order placed, received, and then distributed. I'm not too fond of this idea as we would likely not get the calendars out until sometime into next year.

A third option is if anyone wants to contribute their own Graphics Art skills to make a custom BBQ Brethren Throwdown Calendar and have it created as a PDF file for anyone to print. This is not much different from the first option, except we would have much more customization control than from using that software listed above.

So what sayeth the Brethren? Is there any interest? If there is enough interest, I will start the voting threads for the final 13 to get the ball rolling, and the calendar will then happen according to which of the above 3 options works best given time and resource constraints.

82muchhomework
10-19-2009, 01:38 PM
I think its a great idea!

Does any brother own a printing shop?

N8man
10-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Great Idea!!!
Do we know anybody with Graphic Art Skills???

Big George's BBQ
10-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Good idea Chris That way I can remind myself how food should and can look- I do like it
I have to pick # 3 as I have no graphic art skills

Bill-Chicago
10-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Do we know anybody with Graphic Art Skills???

You mean Good skills.

Nice tongue BTW

MOS95B
10-19-2009, 02:11 PM
I know there's a ton of calender creation softwares out there. As to what format they are able to save in,... http://www.mos95b.com/New/-Animated/dunno.gif

boatnut
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
I'm in if we can get rick to do the photography and at least half of the months have cowgirl in the picture :)

BBQchef33
10-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Just another option for u folks.

cafepress has a calender option.

If you guys come up with the photos, I will create the calender and put them up on cafepress. Everything on cafepress has a 50 cents to one dollar markup to cover the cost of the store. So cafe press can do it and it will be cost plus a buck.

big brother smoke
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
I am game, does any proceeds go back to the site? (forgive me, if I missed that)

bigabyte
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
If we go the Cafepress route, perhaps. Phil, your thoughts? Also, what would be the estimated cost of a Cafepress calendar? I looked at their website and saw a bunch for $18 but wasn't sure if that was the customized calendar price.

Ron_L
10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm interested. I don't know about $24 as the poll suggests, but $18 on Cafepress isn't bad.

Big George's BBQ
10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm interested. I don't know about $24 as the poll suggests, but $18 on Cafepress isn't bad.

I couild go with that

BBQchef33
10-19-2009, 07:40 PM
If we go the Cafepress route, perhaps. Phil, your thoughts? Also, what would be the estimated cost of a Cafepress calendar? I looked at their website and saw a bunch for $18 but wasn't sure if that was the customized calendar price.

if cafepress calenders are 18 bucks, we can do it for $19. I add about a buck to everything so the shop pays for itself. (which BTW, at $7.95 a month, doesn't always happen.) :oops:

BBS.. no, nothing goes to the forum.. just want to cover the cost of the cafepress store. They are expensive to begin with. Adding anything significant to their prices makes it cost prohibitive.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-19-2009, 07:52 PM
of course you would need the photographer's permission to publish and sell their photo in a calendar. right? someone like RCS might object or something.

bigabyte
10-19-2009, 08:21 PM
of course you would need the photographer's permission to publish and sell their photo in a calendar. right? someone like RCS might object or something.
Hmmmm....I suppose you're right. I guess if they decline, we would go with the runner up entry. Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make sure to ask permission of the contestants for the chosen pictures before final inclusion.:cool:

txschutte
10-19-2009, 08:27 PM
What about asking Tom? Roo B q'n

deguerre
10-20-2009, 09:32 AM
I retired my airbrush in 1987 when I got my MFA in GD. (The State of Tennessee ate my brain). Unfortunately I've never worked with any imaging software as my degree was just slightly before it's time so I'd pay, hell yeah.

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 01:07 PM
OK, it looks like there is enough interest for me to start planning on getting the voting threads thought out, but we still need more information on demand. If demand is not very high, then I think we should go the freebie route. Right now only 13 people are interested and I'm not sure it is worth the effort of anyones donated time, or pursuing an option that will cost people money for jsut 13 calendars. I'll wait and see what the final number are like after this poll closes.

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm in and think it's a cool idea. Permission granted if any of my pictures make it through the selection process. Sorry on the graphic arts experience, mine is limp at best. :biggrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Misc/maddenonbrisket.jpg

deguerre
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I think Juan Miro would be proud of that drawing.

Divemaster
10-20-2009, 03:32 PM
I like the idea and you have my permission!

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 05:26 PM
do you have to be a member? i'm still just visitin

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Rick, you get a copy by default. Actually, we might just ship you a thousand of them.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
you'd get a better print if you used the better resolution files. what's the plan for that? printing the 800x600 pixel images at 8"x10" won't be too pretty...

zydecopaws
10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm in if we can get rick to do the photography and at least half of the months have cowgirl in the picture :)

I'd not only change my vote to pay the $25 for this, I'd buy more than one if you can get cowgirl to sign up for this... :wink:

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd not only change my vote to pay the $25 for this, I'd buy more than one if you can get cowgirl to sign up for this... :wink:

i missed that post! i can only take pictures of food. not so good on the people :biggrin:

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 09:01 PM
you'd get a better print if you used the better resolution files. what's the plan for that? printing the 800x600 pixel images at 8"x10" won't be too pretty...
For the winning photos, I'll PM the owner to see if they have a larger file they would like used for the calendar. If we are lucky, we'll get a good image file for each winning photo, but chances are one or two will not and they will get printed as is. If necessary, they will remain small and be printed with some sort of background, maybe use the Certificate or something.

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Or perhaps a squirrel in the background.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm in and think it's a cool idea. Permission granted if any of my pictures make it through the selection process. Sorry on the graphic arts experience, mine is limp at best. :biggrin:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/Misc/maddenonbrisket.jpg

make this the cover and the background for the smaller images :biggrin:

zydecopaws
10-20-2009, 09:17 PM
^^^^ it's missing a squirrel...

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 09:19 PM
I just assumed the flat thing on the grill was a squirrel.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
and there's a giant fly on the point

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I just assumed the flat thing on the grill was a squirrel.

it's a brisket and he shows you where it comes from on the beef and there's thirdeye wearing nothing but a hat. :shock:

Mark
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
It seems to me that we should provide several options. I prefer a well done PDF that I can print on my office printer or take to Kinko's. But I realize that others would prefer a high glossy heavy weight spiral bound type. However, the latter is more financially complicated (minimum orders, shipping and such).

So what say ye about more than one format?

bigabyte
10-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Folks, a "Santa Gnome", who will remain anonymous, has graciously offered to print up professional quality folding wall calendars, including shipping to each individual (no redistribution required), for a very low price. I hesitate to mention the price now until later on when things are more firmed up, but for now it is probably safe to say it would be under $5 per calendar.

Also, a "Secret Squirrel" has offered their services in graphic arts wizardy, who will be able to put together a better calendar than I probably could on my own.

"Santa Gnome" will be working with "Secret Squirrel" to get a file to be printed. It looks like it would be a PDF file, so I believe this could very well mean that we can have options, as Mark requested above, for people to still print the calendar on their own using whatever means they choose to use. However, let me verify this with "Santa Gnome" and "Secret Squirrel" first.

deguerre
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Well Shoot! Under 5? Sell it for twice that and set up a fund for something!

ipls3355
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Looks like the perfect Christmas gift for the perfect price.

BBQ Grail
10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I sell and service many models of printers. You can't print full color pictures of a 12 month calendar for under $5.00 on any office/home office printer. Some of you will want to debate me on this, but after 20 years in this business I know of what I speak.

Let Santa Gnome print them for you and save your ink for something else.

bigabyte
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm going to order extra for myself for any "late" orders. Like I said though, it's early in this process, I don't want to quote an exact price yet, but for now the price seems really nice, especially considering Larry's comments!:cool:

We should all thank Santa Gnome and Secret Squirrel for their remarkable generosity.

Mark
10-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Yeah BBQ Grail; but shipping costs have gotten obscene lately. Then again, a calander should get book rate.

BBQ Grail
10-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Under $5.00 WITH shipping. Seems like a deal to me. And yes, they will qualify for "Media Mail" rate.

Mark
10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
That would work.

bigabyte
10-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Oh, I may not have been clear in my post, but the cost of shipping is included for the ~$5 rate.

deguerre
10-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I'd still pay for the original poll price. Nuff said.

thirdeye
12-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Where are we at on the calenders? I didn't want to miss the boat.

bigabyte
12-07-2009, 07:34 AM
The last category (week 52) is up this week (Cajun/Creole). Once we get a winner from that then I have a final list of candidates and will put up the polls to vote on the winning photos. Once the winning photos are selected, I will send them to Secret Squirrel who will work with Santa Gnome on the final product. Actually, I ought to check on Santa Gnome and Secret Squirrel and make sure they haven't been hitting the booze or anything, we need them good and sober for this. Then again...maybe they could get creative...

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
i want one!

bigabyte
12-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Yours will have a special "Adobo Day" listed somewhere in there I think.

Rick's Tropical Delight
12-07-2009, 08:38 PM
sep 23