PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Barn Burner BBQ, Libertyville, IL, October 16 & 17, 2009

Ron_L
10-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Big T'z Does it again! Ryan and Sonia (I hope I spelled that right) came into Illinois, took names and kicked butts!

Grand Champion - Big T'z Q Cru
Reserve Grand Champion - Quau

More results when they are posted on KCBS.

Coz
10-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Congrats all on cooking in some tuff conditions.

BBQ_Mayor
10-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Way to go Ryan and Sonya!

KC_Bobby
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
WTG Big T .... er little T in this case!

Ron_L
10-17-2009, 08:34 PM
I should also mention that Smokin' Joe and Tippycanoe BBQ Crew came in 3rd overall and Divemaster and Stock Car BBQ took first place brisket! Lots of others brethren received calls as well.

BBQ_Mayor
10-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Another good showing from the Iowa boys!

Trainwreck
10-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Congrats everyone

Peteg
10-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice job Dive! You've been doing great with brisket all season long.
Congrats to everyone else as well! Pete G.

Smokin' Joe
10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
Grand Champion: BIG T'Z Q CRU
Reserve Champion: QUAU

Overall:
1 BIG T'Z Q CRU
2 QUAU
3 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW
4 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR
5 STOCKCAR BBQ
6 SMOKING ADDICTION BBQ
7 ONE 2 BBQ
8 THE SMOKE HUNTERS
9 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM
10 SMOKIN SCOTSMAN

Chicken:
1 BIG T'Z Q CRU
2 MEDIEVAL SWINES
3 BREW-B-Q
4 SLUG BUG BBQ
5 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR
6 KRE SMOKERS
7 Q-N WITH AN ATTITUDE
8 SMOKESTARS
9 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW
10 ONE 2 BBQ

Ribs:
1 CANCERSUCKSCHICAGO.COM
2 BIG T'Z Q CRU
3 QUAU
4 STOCKCAR BBQ
5 THE SMOKE HUNTERS
6 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR
7 STAR-B-QUE
8 SMOKING ADDICTION BBQ
9 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW
10 ONE 2 BBQ

Pork:
1 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW
2 SMOKING ADDICTION BBQ
3 BIG T'Z Q CRU
4 QUAU
5 MEIEVAL SWINES
6 BARTLETT BONEHEADS
7 SMOKIN LOGAN BBQ
8 THE SMOKE HUNTERS
9 SMOKEY JOEL/CUBBY BEAR
10 BREW-B-Q

Brisket:
1 STOCKCAR BBQ
2 BIG T'Z Q CRU
3 QUAU
4 CAPT RONS BREW-N-QUE
5 SMOKIN SCOTSMAN
6 ONE 2 BBQ
7 THE SMOKE HUNTERS
8 DUECES WILD
9 KRE SMOKERS
10 TIPPYCANOE BBQ CREW

Smokin' Joe
10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Congrats to all who got calls! Hell of a day from Ryan and Big Tz to win by 20+ points! Kinda sad to see the year come to an end for us, its going to be a long winter...

Bbq Bubba
10-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Way to go Jeff!

mremus
10-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Congrats everyone!

KC_Bobby
10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Jeez Ryan ... you hardware hog ... worst place 3rd?

DMDon
10-18-2009, 12:54 AM
Wow Ryan, Nice job with the ribs and the GC. Tippy 4 calls thats teh right way to end the year. Congrats to all the Brethern who got calls.

manty_smoke
10-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Our team, like all others, fought to keep warm; we saw 38 at 3am. The libation at Walt's place at 9:22 helped. Looking forward to a Winter of experimentation and 2010 full of smoke.

We dropped our egg after Milwaukee...and got the parts in just-in-time for this contest...and it came through for our Pork!

Thanks to Woodfellas for getting us into this addictive hobby!

Team Smoking Addiction
Manitowoc, WI
Ben, Kevin, Joel and Andy Schmitt
www.smokingaddictionbbq.com

Brew-B-Q
10-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Congrats Ryan, Joe, Scottie, Ron, Walt and everyone else that got calls. Despite the cold, it was a fun contest to cook. I was pleased with everything we turned in, but the judges continue to hate my ribs. I thought they were the best I had cooked this year, but I got pounded on them. We went for broke and tried something new on brisket, and while it wasn't a total disaster, it definitely needs a lot of work. Good think I now have 6 months to practice.

Ron_L
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
the judges continue to hate my ribs. I thought they were the best I had cooked this year, but I got pounded on them.

I'm right there with you. While our ribs may not have been the best that we cooked, we thought that they were better than the judges thought. Same for our pork. Oh well... It is what it is...

Despite the wet, chilly weather and being stuck in a spot where no one could find us, we had a great time up until the end. My parents came to visit us yesterday and while we were cleaning up my mom (82) fell while carrying some hotel pans. She tripped on the edge of a tarp. She had a pretty good gash in her chin so Parsley Lady took her to the ER. The team next to us (I don't remember the team name, but the cook was named Shawn) provided directions and even offered to go with to make sure that they made it OK. I'd like to thank them so if anyone talked to them and got the team name, please let me know.

Anyway, My dad and I finished cleaning up and stayed for the awards and then drove home. Parsley Lady and my mom made it home by about 7pm. My mom had 16 stitches in her chin plus a couple inside her mouth and a bruise knee, but she is fine. Thanks to everyone who asked about her after the awards!

Lion Bout The Q
10-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Wow, 16 stiches....glad your mom will be ok Ron. Never good when anything happens to our moms...

Coz
10-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your mom .Hope she isnt in too much pain today.

Smokin' Joe
10-18-2009, 10:07 AM
My parents came to visit us yesterday and while we were cleaning up my mom (82) fell while carrying some hotel pans. She tripped on the edge of a tarp. She had a pretty good gash in her chin so Parsley Lady took her to the ER.

Dang Ron I totally missed that, very sorry to hear it...hope she recovers quickly

Jorge
10-18-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm right there with you. While our ribs may not have been the best that we cooked, we thought that they were better than the judges thought. Same for our pork. Oh well... It is what it is...

Despite the wet, chilly weather and being stuck in a spot where no one could find us, we had a great time up until the end. My parents came to visit us yesterday and while we were cleaning up my mom (82) fell while carrying some hotel pans. She tripped on the edge of a tarp. She had a pretty good gash in her chin so Parsley Lady took her to the ER. The team next to us (I don't remember the team name, but the cook was named Shawn) provided directions and even offered to go with to make sure that they made it OK. I'd like to thank them so if anyone talked to them and got the team name, please let me know.

Anyway, My dad and I finished cleaning up and stayed for the awards and then drove home. Parsley Lady and my mom made it home by about 7pm. My mom had 16 stitches in her chin plus a couple inside her mouth and a bruise knee, but she is fine. Thanks to everyone who asked about her after the awards!

Glad to hear that she's OK. See you soon...just bring your appetite with you!

smknwhlswife
10-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Congrats to all who got called. Special congrats to Big T's, Great Job!!!

Ron - Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she isn't too sore and recovers quickly.

Buster Dog BBQ
10-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Way to go Ryan and crew.

Ron_L
10-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the well wishes, gang! My mom is doing fine. She has a hard time eating anything too chewy, and she just told my daughter to stop making her laugh because it hurts. She told us that she is all ready for Halloween :-D

Smokin Mike
10-18-2009, 03:43 PM
glad your mom is ok and in good spirits Ron.

congrats who all walked

wow, Big T's 20 point lead, congrats!

tonto1117
10-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Big Congrats to Big T'z, what a year for Ryan and Sonia. Great showing by the Brethren and woots to all who were called. Way to go Dive and thanks for the great groceries at my B'day! Ron, glad to hear your Mom is okay.

Thanks to everybody for making my 29th Birthday such a great one :biggrin:

Coz
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Big Congrats to Big T'z, what a year for Ryan and Sonia. Great showing by the Brethren and woots to all who were called. Way to go Dive and thanks for the great groceries at my B'day! Ron, glad to hear your Mom is okay.

Thanks to everybody for making my 29th Birthday such a great one :biggrin:

I was guessing 25 :mrgreen:

Greg60525
10-19-2009, 02:22 AM
Ron, glad to hear your mom is doing well. Seeing that she can't eat anything too chewy I won't be sending over any brisket!

I finally got my first call, actually I got two (2nd in chicken and 5th in pork). :shock: :icon_bigsmil:icon_bigsmil

Congrats to everyone else who got calls!

I didn't think the weather was all that bad, but I arrived at about 2:30 PM and just missed some big rain........actually, I was driving in it! I was stuck back by the water spigot area in the mud and gravel..........what a mess. My car needs to be detailed. Luckly, my wall panel kit for my canopy arrived Thursday, which allowed the single propane element Mr. Heater work a little magic. Without that I probably would've froze. I was probably one of the last to leave..........it takes forever to strategically pack up a Ford Freestyle.

Shotgun
10-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Great job Ryan, looks like you figured something out with the Ribs. Nice showing for the Tippy canoe crew and good job to all brothers.

pat
10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Congrats to everyone!

Divemaster
10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
Congrats to all who got walks!!!!

Ron, I’m glad you Mom is doing better… We heard that there was ‘some kind of emergency’ during the awards ceremony but had no idea what… She seems to be in great humor (as always)!

First and foremost, I want to thank my guys… They really came through like troopers this weekend… Angelo brought out not one but two propane heaters and enough propane to keep the canopy at a toasty 62* throughout the night… That, plus the electric heater in the trailer made it almost comfortable… I almost felt sorry for Angelo, Nunda, and Todd. Angelo is our ‘Box Boy’ and dealing with parsley in cold water that night was not easy... Nunda was our official ‘Pit Biotch’ so it was up to him to go out into the cold and rain to keep ‘The Mistress’ going (I might add that the guys kept her within 5 degrees end to end and wouldn’t let me near her except to deal with the meat.). Poor Todd acted as our ‘Pit Biotch Jr. Grade’ and had to follow Nunda around (he did great just don’t let him know… It would go to his head and he would want a promotion… LOL). Todd was also our ‘Official Runner’ so I had nothing to worry about there since he learned how to move through crowds by watching hockey…

This comp holds a special place for me since it was 2 years ago that Tonto and Walt allowed us to watch and learn. I don’t know if I should thank them or not… Congrats again ‘T’ for fooling with the calendar…

It was great seeing every one for one last time this season… Now comes the fun part, re-writing all of the hand written changes to our recipes and testing them out (again)…

Harbormaster
10-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Wow. The Brethren OWNED the brisket category. Congratulations Dive!

I wish I could have made it down there to see all of you guys, but I had other priorities on Saturday.

Congratulations to everyone that walked!

Ron, glad to hear your mom is doing ok. Could have been worse.

musicmanryann
10-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Congrats to everyone that walked! Great weekend for us, not just because of the contest, but being able to see our new Godson, Austin in Davenport, IA on our way to and fro the contest! Just got back last night about midnight. I am at work now and have an i.v. drip of coffee going.:icon_sleepy

Congrats to Joe on 3rd overall and the 1st place pork! I heard you thought it was bad? Congrats to Dive for kicking my butt on brisket, which he thought was bad. Hmmm...a pattern? Congrats to Ron and Scotsmen for their dessert calls. It was great "meeting" the Monroe's this weekend, thanks for hosting the 9:22 shot! It was also great meeting you brew-b-q, Coz and several others. Also congrats to Scottie for 1st place ribs--good luck this weekend man! While we were the "outsiders" coming in to the Land of Lincoln, we were wecomed with open arms!

Sorry to hear about your mother Ron, but glad to hear she is okay. I wondered why you didn't stop by to take a look at the trailer Saturday morning...

Divemaster
10-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Wow. The Brethren OWNED the brisket category. Congratulations Dive!

I wish I could have made it down there to see all of you guys, but I had other priorities on Saturday.

Congratulations to everyone that walked!

Ron, glad to hear your mom is doing ok. Could have been worse.
Actually, if you look at it, the Brethren took 25 out of 40 top 10 catagory walks and 13 out of 20 top 5 catagory walks... Talk about a solid showing!

Congrats to everyone that walked! Great weekend for us, not just because of the contest, but being able to see our new Godson, Austin in Davenport, IA on our way to and fro the contest! Just got back last night about midnight. I am at work now and have an i.v. drip of coffee going.:icon_sleepy

Congrats to Joe on 3rd overall and the 1st place pork! I heard you thought it was bad? Congrats to Dive for kicking my butt on brisket, which he thought was bad. Hmmm...a pattern? Congrats to Ron and Scotsmen for their dessert calls. It was great "meeting" the Monroe's this weekend, thanks for hosting the 9:22 shot! It was also great meeting you brew-b-q, Coz and several others. Also congrats to Scottie for 1st place ribs--good luck this weekend man! While we were the "outsiders" coming in to the Land of Lincoln, we were wecomed with open arms!

Sorry to hear about your mother Ron, but glad to hear she is okay. I wondered why you didn't stop by to take a look at the trailer Saturday morning...

LOL and thanks for kicking mine every where else!

Ron_L
10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
While we were the "outsiders" coming in to the Land of Lincoln, we were wecomed with open arms!

That was before we knew how badly you would kick our butts! From now on we're stopping you at the border. :biggrin:

I wondered why you didn't stop by to take a look at the trailer Saturday morning...

Actually she didn't get hurt until after turn-ins were over, so I can't use that as an excuse. We just got busy and forgot. Sorry. I wanted to see it and also let Amy see what it looked like inside since it is in the size range that would work well with our truck. Maybe next time!

Bones
10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Ron, sorry to hear about you Mom and I am glad she is doing ok.
Chris

Smokerstars: Christopher
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear that your mom got hurt Ron. Hope she heals quickly.

Christopher

Ron_L
10-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks, Christopher... She is doing well. The stitches are supposed to come out tomorrow.

musicmanryann
10-22-2009, 12:21 AM
Thanks, Christopher... She is doing well. The stitches are supposed to come out tomorrow.

That is good news brother.