PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Brethren "Soups, Stews & Chili" Throwdown

bigabyte
10-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Our new category is...

"Soups, Stews & Chili"
http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww168/TokyoGuy_2009/texaschili.jpg
Anonymous Photo

...as chosen by BobBrisket, the winner of the Sausage Throwdown (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70564)!

Here is the simple and unchanging list of rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

1) The item must be either Grilled or Smoked.
2) Entries must be cooked during the current throwdown period ( 10/16 - 10/25 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on the night of 10/25.
4) Only one picture from one dish will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose and my decision will be final.
5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

The voting will begin Monday 10/26 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 10/30. All votes will be public.

Don't forget the Shellfish Throwdown (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70471) is still accepting entries until midnight Sunday night (10/18)!

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Hot and Spicy Throwdown (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70642).

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

texman02
10-16-2009, 11:41 PM
This should be good. :biggrin:

NorthwestBBQ
10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
Looks marvelous!

82muchhomework
10-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Great choice Bob

BobBrisket
10-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Seems like the perfect time and everyone was making soups so why not. I'll be busy tomorrow.............I got the chopped point from my last brisket defrosting and have the DO's at the ready!! Also have some pork rib tips, brats, and polish sausage on the defrost...............Hmmmmmmmmm.

BobBrisket
10-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Anybody........I just got two entries done.......pron later. Gotta eat. Sorry:-D

MJHuffDaddy
10-17-2009, 05:34 PM
It's on...

Kevin
10-17-2009, 05:40 PM
Workin' on it boss.

BobBrisket
10-17-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm tossing in two this entry......hope that's still okay. If not, go with chili pic only.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/4020346491_d1c9615d35_b.jpg
Polish sausage and sweet Italian brat stew with collards, fingerling potatoes and some wagon wheel pasta!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2629/4021098528_47eb150504_b.jpg
and some brisket chili!
Njoy.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
that is unbeatable!

MrSmoker
10-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Oh Man I'd hit that Chilli even if it is 100* here today.Nice photo's to Bob.

swibirun
10-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Here's my plain ol' chili. It's nothing fancy and has no secret ingredients. And yes, it has beans.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/swibirun/Food/DSC_0082resized.jpg

Cooked it in a #12 dutch oven on the Big Green Egg at 350f for about an hour total cooking time, including browning and simmering.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/swibirun/Food/DSC_0090resized.jpg

It hit just the spot on a cool afternoon today! [ENTRY PHOTO]
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/swibirun/Food/DSC_0141resized.jpg

Paulmark
10-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Brunswick stew is on...pron later

82muchhomework
10-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Is that a built in Santa Maria grill Bob?!

Too farkin cool.

n-2-que
10-18-2009, 04:16 PM
making some stew right now i might just enter this

bigabyte
10-18-2009, 09:04 PM
Bob, putting two entries in the thread is fine, but for voting, only one pic can be used. Based on what you said in your post, I will use your Chili pic.

n-2-que
10-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Blah noticed the Grilled or smoked so mine don't count... but still want to show my beef stew =P

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/sirwild/100_0474.jpg

Garyclaw
10-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm voting for Brisket Bobs chili hands down w/o even seeing anything else. Saw his original thread makin that stuff and had to have some then. The color is perfectly nice and dark. Looks awesome!

Paulmark
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Brunswick stew is on...pron later

Here's my bowl of stew. Q'ed pork, chicken, and beef. Tomatoes, potatoes, corn, butter beans, chipotle bullion, bbq sauce, ketchup,cider vinegar, kitchen bouquet,and garnished with yellow peppers and jalapenos.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab60/Paulmark123/BrunswickStew073entry.jpg?t=1255984084

bigabyte
10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
That looks seriously good! I was wondering who would be first to do a bread bowl.:cool:

Paulmark
10-19-2009, 03:56 PM
That looks seriously good! I was wondering who would be first to do a bread bowl.:cool:

LOL...thank you, had to try to figure out something..Bob's is staged so beautifully and looks awesome..I'll be lucky to be in the top 20. :smile:

Paulmark
10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Blah noticed the Grilled or smoked so mine don't count... but still want to show my beef stew =P

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/sirwild/100_0474.jpg

Good looking stew! Really like the green beans in there. :eusa_clap

Paulmark
10-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Here's my plain ol' chili. It's nothing fancy and has no secret ingredients. And yes, it has beans.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/swibirun/Food/DSC_0082resized.jpg

Cooked it in a #12 dutch oven on the Big Green Egg at 350f for about an hour total cooking time, including browning and simmering.

It hit just the spot on a cool afternoon today! [ENTRY PHOTO]
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r226/swibirun/Food/DSC_0141resized.jpg
Looks very good! It reminds me of my dad's chili, just the right amount of beans. :smile:

landarc
10-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I want to eat the bread bowl in PaulMarks entry.

BobBrisket
10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Ooooooo, good looking stuff so far!!! I'm hungry. Today's weather isn't very "fall" like though.........high of 89. But the leftover chili still hit the spot.

smknhotmama
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
It's mid 50's here and falling I need to get on the stew bandwagon and quick!
That's a thing of beauty swibirun!!!

Gore
10-19-2009, 09:43 PM

If you've followed these threads, Rule 1 (Grilled or smoked) is not taken too literally. I don't know if it is because most of us don't read directions or we just let things slide a bit. I think we know that grilled means cooking things on a gridiron over a fire, but in many of the contests, items are put into a pot and then this is placed on the gridiron. In my mind this is boiled. Can something be simultaneously boiled and grilled? For such dilemmas I prefer to apply the SWMBO test. It has kept me married for the past 10+ years. As most of you know from experience, your SWMBO ALWAYS reads and understands the instructions completely (even the warning page) before attempting anything; whereas, we read the instructions as a last resort and only after (multiple) failures. SWMBOs pay attention to details and don't let us try to sneak anything by -- garbage gets taken out the night before and not five minutes before the garbageman is due, for instance. In short, no excuses, no compromises and no bull****. To apply the SWMBO test, we can just imagine SWMBO's reaction. For instance, let's consider the following scenario:

SWMBO comes home with a dozen ears of corn and asks me to "grill" the corn. I light up the grill, fill up our large pot of water, bring it to boil, and plop the corn in. Five minutes later I bring in my "grilled" corn. SWMBO does not congratulate me on the fine job of corn grilling, but rather calls me an idiot, "Dumb****, if I'd wanted the corn boiled, I could've done that just as easily on the stove. I asked for 'grilled corn' and I thought someone with four grilling apparatuses would know the difference between 'grilled corn' and 'boiled corn'. I can't believe I married such a doofus!" Is there anyone reading this who would call this "grilled corn"? If so, off to the penalty box. You've not only failed the SWMBO test, but you should seriously ask yourself why you're even visiting this website.

I try to avoid such occasions and apply the SWMBO test whenever I have doubts.

So if we know the difference between grilled and boiled corn, how come we cannot apply this to anything else? I think in all honesty, we have to admit that there really is no difference in putting the pot of stew, chili, or corn on the gridiron or on the open flame of the gas burners on my stove or on electric burners if you have them. Does the corn really taste any differently if it is boiled on the grill or on the stove? Have we really demonstrated our grilling/BBQing skills by cooking in a pot? The truth is that once we put the food in a pot, it isn't being grilled, by definition. If I lit up the grill to cook a pot of soup, SWMBO would ask me if I lost my mind. What really is the point? If you want to grill or smoke the vegetables or meat during prep or possibly to smoke the stew, that is something else, but simply to heat up a pot of liquid cannot be considered grilling or smoking by any definition (unless you consider grilling and eating the pot). Whether we want to apply Rule 1 more stringently than it has in the past is up to the Brethren and their voting. This is laid out very clearly in Rule 5. The point is that as delicious as they look, none of the entries that I have seen in this contest have been grilled or smoked that I can see and read (I really don't consider cooking in a Dutch oven smoking, unless it is uncovered) -- perhaps there is more in the prep that I don't know. In addition, many of the entries in previous contests have not been grilled or smoked and done quite respectably in voting. I don't know if this says much other than we don't read and follow directions well. Or perhaps, even though we are BBQ Brethren we don't know what grilling or smoking means. Or perhaps we vote with our stomachs and not with our heads ("oh yeah, that wasn't grilled. Sure looked tasty though!").

Why not just drop Rule 1? Well, because we are supposed to be the BBQ Brethren and the most creative cooks on the internet. So, let's try to apply it and work within this rule as best we can. If you must use a pot (for stew and soup, for instance), tell us where and how you used the grill or smoker, so we can at least partially comply with this rule. Incidentally, I plan to be an innocent bystander in this contest, but will definitely try to cast my vote for someone who tries to adhere to Rule 1. In the past, there have been some excellent examples of work-arounds. For instance, in the spaghetti throwdown, we had a smoked spaghetti casserole, grilled spaghetti (not in a pot), a spaghetti fattie, and various other smoked and grilled items. I can see lots of creative possibilities with this category also that utilizes the grill/smoker aspect and not just to heat up a pot.

Contestants, please try to work within the rules. If your entry does not appear to be grilled or smoked, please explain the process so the voters can act accordingly! Perhaps prep items were grilled/smoked, etc.

Voters, please read the rules, understand the rules and apply the rules.

Chris, I just want to say that I do not want to see any rule changes, just application of the rules exactly as they are written. In my mind, they are perfect and save you tons of headaches! Also, is that a dead squirrel in your avatar? It looks really gross. Please replace it. :icon_sick

Incidentally, for those in the penalty box, what Thirdeye submitted in the week 7 throwdown appears to be an excellent example of SWMBO-approved and certified grilled corn. Please consult it for future reference.

bigabyte
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks, that post is perfect timing in my opinion as I have been contacted about the gray area between what is grilled, smoked and various other things. This is exactly why the rules are the way they are because people could argue forever about whether or not chili made in a DO on a smoker is truly up to standards in light of the rules. I can taste the smokey flavor in beans that simmered in a smoker so I believe that it counts as a bbq dish, but perhaps not everyone does. We all have varying opinions.

I would never remove rule #1 because it is the most important thing in making this the BBQ Brethen Throwdown and not just another freaking Iron Chef contest. It's a Backyard BBQ contest first and foremost, always has been, always will. What will not happen is arbitrary judging of what does or does not qualify as an entry by a reserve panel of judges. This is not in the spirit of a friendly competition among Brethren. Instead, having such a person or committe deciding such things is more along the lines of a more competitive type competition that is just as prone to controversy as it is to fun. There have been instances in the past where disputes about entries really hurt peoples feelings, and in some cases people were (or felt) falsely accused of doing wrong when no wrong occurred. Since nobody is actually "on-site" to view the process from beginning to end, we have to assume the rules were followed and it is up to the judges (you all) to be make the final determination of what qualifies as a winning entry or not. It's that simple.

As for my avatar, it's supposed to be a passed out drunk squirrel with a butt hanging out of his mouth, but the image is shrunk so bad it is probably confusing a lot of people. Guess I'll change it to something else. Thanks for pointing it out, otherwise it would have stayed there.

Gore
10-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Thanks Chris, after I posted, it did occur to me that I could have hurt someone's feelings. It certainly was not my intention. I respect everyone here. It is my opinion that people do not break rules because they mean to cheat, but because they don't know what the rules are, or something in the past was deemed acceptable, so they repeat it. There is a lot of gray area in this and it is really up to the voters to decide. That is one of the beautiful things about these contests. In my opinion, there has been a lot of slippage in Rule 1. I looked at the entries here and although they looked delicious, there was nothing I felt I could vote for because in my mind none qualified! I have seen a couple entries every week like this, but never in such abundance.

Ahhh, I see the squirrel now really isn't dead. That makes me feel better.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 05:29 AM
"I think in all honesty, we have to admit that there really is no difference in putting the pot of stew, chili, or corn on the gridiron or on the open flame of the gas burners on my stove or on electric burners if you have them."

i disagree.

you are missing the most important point. this is supposed to be fun.

Que-Dawg
10-20-2009, 06:07 AM
I don't know if this says much other than we don't read and follow directions well. Or perhaps, even though we are BBQ Brethren we don't know what grilling or smoking means. Or perhaps we vote with our stomachs and not with our heads ("oh yeah, that wasn't grilled. Sure looked tasty though!").

In reply back to ya’ Mr. SWMBO.
If you maybe pointing a finger at me. You may want to get your facts straight my friend. NO mine was not grilled, BUT how ever was SMOKED through half the process. Have you ever tried to boil that much food in 2 turkey fryers and have it done at the sometime? Well anyway we did boil them but about half way they were put in 2 different 22.5” WSM to finish up. This gave us time to cook it all, before everyone arrived. And also gave us time to enjoy our friends and family some ourselves. If we had enough grill capacity at the time, we would have grilled them. They taste better that way… But If I do recall smoked is okay to.
Also I unlike you do think cooking in a Dutch oven over an open flame, or placed in a BGE, or a fire pit and so on and so on is fine.
Yes I may should have added that in the post at 1st… But I had a few beers and am sorry for getting you this upset…………..
I think you have missed the point these things are suppose to be FUN. It is not for any comp. points or money. It is just a few people having some fun enjoying what they Love to do.

ipls3355
10-20-2009, 06:36 AM
If I believe something doesn't qualify, I exercise rule #5

5) If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.

Its all for fun, no harm no foul.

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
Dang it, I ignored Rule #5 and already opened my mouth. That one is kinda hard to abide by sometimes.:lol:

Paulmark
10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
My beef and pork came from my "Weekend Q" am I paranoid:icon_shock1:

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I can see Gore's point, and in addition to cooking in a Dutch oven or other covered pot ...... we have actually bent rule #1 several times. Baking is not technically not grilling or smoking, and we have seen plenty of baked entries. I Pan fried some fish and shrimp for one Throwdown, and have also used my wok in the Egg for one or two.

But it's still up to each person to qualify their own entry, and select an entry photo (unless they fail to specify and by default, Chris selects one). Take my shellfish entry for example...... I grilled some shrimp for a shrimp cocktail, then steamed some clams and scallops in a covered pot. Technically my shrimp cocktail would have fit all the rules, and I had a decent photo of it. Problem was, I liked the looks of the clams better and picked that picture for judging. That was my call. Will I change my philosophy regarding the rules in the future, maybe so..... If it's important enough for a few of us to discuss this subject, there are probably 40 out of 100 that are thinking the same thing.

I have always done a start-to-finish photo spread (often times with some windy narrative :rolleyes: or a story like in the Ultimate Throwdown), but that's just my style. Looking at the pictures you can see the cooker and the foods in various stages. Maybe posting at least 3 pictures would verify the cooks intentions and methods used. Take a look at Paulmark's entry in this thread, it's a perfect example of tying his entry together. I for one always go back and look at the entry thread before voting, but I still let the picture they select be my focus.

BobBrisket
10-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Sorry everyone, but I just can't figure out how to keep the chili and stew from falling through the grates. :roll::-D

My smoked component was the brisket point that went into the chili and the smoked chipotle flakes. That had more than enough smoked flavor for me and what I was looking for. I can't see in the rules where we can't use something that is pre-cooked or smoked so I don't know if there was a violation there or not. But if that's an issue, then my entry can be withdrawn since I didn't smoke the brisket on the same day. There's no way I'd have the time to do all of that in a day or a weekend.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70536&highlight=drum+brisket
Here's the thread where I made the brisket. As Wayne stated, Rule 1 has been bent on more than one occassion to better fit the topic that was chosen. And in the end, it is all about fun.

Bob

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 10:40 AM
In line with thirdeye's thoughts, we have even specifically stated some flexibiity in regards to using just a smoker or grill. For example, we had a Pizza throwdown, and not everyone had a cooker suitable for making pizza, so accomodations were made to allow baking of the pizza in an oven provided Grilled or Smoked ingredients were used to make the pizza. I think there was also one that permitted the use of spit-cooking, but I don't think anyone actually did that.

Rule#1 is there to limit the entries in some way to keep things BBQ. It does not mean the final dish necessarily has to be heated on the grill or smoker. Take chili for example, if it was cooked on the stove in a pot but used brisket from the smoker, that is in line with the BBQ Brethren Throwdown concept.

I may just need to tweak rule #1 to say something like...

The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature the use of Grilled or Smoked foods in a prominent manner.

This would probably cover the exceptions we have stated before where some flexibility was allowed or even encouraged.

Que-Dawg made an interesting point about his seafood entry about how the food was initially boiled, and then finished off in a smoker. That definitely seem in line with the concept above. However, if someone started off boiling some ribs and finished them off in the smoker, I don't think they would get many votes at all. So in the end, I can only tweak things so much because it really comes down to the preferences of the voters, and majority will rule in the end, whichever way that may be at any given time for any given Throwdown.

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 11:05 AM
That little tweak might be just the ticket to remind us that a grilling or smoking step needs to be included. And even when a grilled or smoked component is used in the featured dish, I would still think that instead of going to the stove, oven or crockpot, the crew around here would attempt to complete the cook in their grill or smoker even if it's for the most part just a heat source.

As far as any confusion with Que-Dawg's post and after reading his follow-up..... even one picture of his kettle full of lobster or just a mention of using it in the entry thread would have removed any doubt as to his technique.

BobBrisket
10-20-2009, 11:15 AM
"The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature the use of Grilled or Smoked foods in a prominent manner."

That little disclaimer may be just the ticket. Just keep doing what you're doing Chris. We appreciate your efforts in keeping the contest going.

Bob

Big George's BBQ
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I love looking at the entries in this contest. Have seen some great food and presentations. Looking forward to this one

roxikitties7
10-20-2009, 01:23 PM
i agree with rick

SoCalWJS
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
More photos! (I need ideas for upcoming meals:redface:)

I figured the main thing was to cook it on a BBQ/Grill/fireplace (preferably over wood) in order to meet the criteria - it's hard to make a soup or stew on a grid!

Some seriously good entries already - I'm definitely going to make a "Irish/Mulligan" stew at at some point (when it cools off) and do the bread bowl thing. ALWAYS like stew in a bread bowl.

cmcadams
10-20-2009, 04:57 PM

That, my friend, is a nice shot.

cmcadams
10-20-2009, 05:03 PM
As to the discussion, though I haven't been throwing my hat in the ring lately, I don't vote for entries I don't think have used grilling or smoking when appropriate. Baking is really indirect grilling if done on a grill/bge/bubba keg/primo, etc. Heck, smoking using baking as an element in the heat of the chamber, just a lower temps.

I like the rule tweak, but wouldn't want these things to not be fun because we're too legalistic about it.

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
i like that shot too, curt. nice on the chili swirbrium chris :biggrin:

here's the rules (it's on the top of the Q-talk page by the way)

"*ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general"

you cooked it outside? it's good for a throwdown. no gas or electric ovens or stoves in the kitchen allowed.

don't change a thing, chris baker! if i ever win again, i'm choosing an adobo throwdown! hahahaha :biggrin:

bigabyte
10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
if i ever win again, i'm choosing an adobo throwdown! hahahaha :biggrin:
Good, because I was going to make it an Adobo Throwdown anyway!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: It's just too classic to pass up the chance!

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 07:36 PM
That, my friend, is a nice shot.

It's my favorite one too, the color balance is right on. It's one of those magazine cover shots. I thought of you when I saw it.

If anything (and this is a small tweak) a little wider depth of field, one more f-stop.... one bean past the spoon would be cool.

cmcadams
10-20-2009, 08:17 PM
I actually like that the spoon is just past focus... but that's nitpicking. :)

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 08:24 PM
I actually like that the spoon is just past focus... but that's nitpicking. :)

Are you still liking that special (acordian type?) lense you bought?

cmcadams
10-20-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't have the accordion version, but I do like my lensbaby, though off topic. :)

Ron_L
10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I may just need to tweak rule #1 to say something like...

The dish must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature the use of Grilled or Smoked foods in a prominent manner.

This would probably cover the exceptions we have stated before where some flexibility was allowed or even encouraged.

That tweak is fine, but we could also specify that the dish has to be cooked using a wood or charcoal fire. That would rule out ovens and stoves but allow cooking in vessels like a DO.

Just my $.02

Gore
10-20-2009, 08:40 PM
A friend of mine was commenting that BBQers have no sense of humor and take themselves entirely too seriously. I can give countless examples of this, but I am glad that people did see some humor and irony in my post, but most importantly, I am happy with the resulting discussion that we can help the process out by clarifying our cooking methods. Thirdeye does a SUPERB job with this. I don't think it is necessary to be quite this diligent. It definitely will make the voting easier and hopefully it will reduce the emails to Chris and make his job more satisfying (thanks for the new squirrel by the way). Chris, I see your excellent point about the Dutch Oven. Bob, thanks for the clarification on the stew. Rick, I missed your pizza last week. I was looking forward to it as I'm not a fan of shellfish, but I saw you were extremely busy. Que-Dawg, I could tell from the pic that your food had been on the smoker -- it takes a trained eye and education that you can pick up on this website if you look carefully, but I bet you'd have a LOT more votes if you'd made it more obvious in your post!

Ok, let's have some fun. I'm craving a stew/chili-fattie.

thirdeye
10-20-2009, 08:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v377/thirdeye2/People/DSC07838a.jpg

Too serious?? Heck we're only serious when it comes to the selection, prep, seasoning, fire building, pit temp, resting and serving. The other 8, 10, 12 or 14 hours we are a laid back bunch. (unless you take out a little time for photography :biggrin:)

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-20-2009, 09:18 PM
but i made pizza last thursday.

Phubar
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Here's my bowl of stew. Q'ed pork, chicken, and beef. Tomatoes, potatoes, corn, butter beans, chipotle bullion, bbq sauce, ketchup,cider vinegar, kitchen bouquet,and garnished with yellow peppers and jalapenos.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab60/Paulmark123/BrunswickStew073entry.jpg?t=1255984084

Looks good!
Reminds me of a Bunny Chow I had once.

bigabyte
10-21-2009, 12:32 PM
That tweak is fine, but we could also specify that the dish has to be cooked using a wood or charcoal fire. That would rule out ovens and stoves but allow cooking in vessels like a DO.

Just my $.02
I thought about that before too, and thought about it again after you posted it. My only reservation about this is that it eliminates the use of gas grills, and grilling is allowed and encouraged. I think most of us are hardcore charcoal/wood grillers, but some people have some nice high BTU gas grills which can crank out some mighty fine eats.

bigabyte
10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
That loosk good Phubar!:cool: Is that an entry? /just curious, I couldn't quite tell for sure from your words.

Phubar
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
That loosk good Phubar!:cool: Is that an entry? /just curious, I couldn't quite tell for sure from your words.

Sorry Big but this isn't mine or my entry.
I ate it once at a South African party,A good SA friend told me the story behind the Bunny Chow it's very interesting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_chow
Maybe I'll gonna give it a try for this throwdown.

Paulmark
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Thank you Phubar...very interesting thread, I saw it done with clam chowder also with mushrooms and gravy.

AlbuQue
10-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Marinate pork country ribs in pure New Mexico red chile sauce for 2 days. Smoke for 2 1/2 hours over apple and hickory. Simmer in pure NM red chile for 4 hours until melt-in-your-mouth-tender. In New Mexico we eat this straight or put it on just about anything. I like it with a bowl of pintos or smothering my enchiladas. Bueno Appetito Hito!!

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/albuque/DSC01621.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/albuque/DSC01622.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/albuque/DSC01623.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/albuque/DSC01624.jpg

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo349/albuque/DSC01626.jpg

bigabyte
10-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice!:cool:

Ron_L
10-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Here's my entry so far...

Brisket Chili ala Saiko...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_syPcXIICFRo/SuEIfP6Z5tI/AAAAAAAAEhI/mJKS0d5GLlg/s800/P1280048.JPG

Discalimer: This entry was cooked using a charcoal fire in a Big Green Egg. The actual food, however, was not grilled or smoked. One of the ingredients, the brisket, was smoked prior to being added to the chili, but the chili was simmered in a camp dutch oven. Just sayin' :rolleyes:

smknhotmama
10-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Man I love avocado!!! It just goes with everything. That looks delicious Ron!!!

smknhotmama
10-23-2009, 09:26 PM
My first throwdown entry. I think I qualify ..I used the grilled chicken from my disaster dinner...and it was all cooked in the cast iron dutch oven on the Smoke N Pit.

Black and White Chicken Chili

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71354

Que-Dawg
10-23-2009, 09:29 PM
My first throwdown entry. I think I qualify ..I used the grilled chicken from my disaster dinner...and it was all cooked in the cast iron dutch oven on the Smoke N Pit.

Black and White Chicken Chili]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Girl that is IT!

Paulmark
10-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Yumm! can't wait to make some, thanks for the recipe.

nolaman
10-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Black and White Chicken Chili

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71354
Nice Recover! :wink: Now that looks good too!

Brauma
10-24-2009, 08:15 PM
This is my first ever entry into a Throwdown. Just so happens I was making some chili today and I saw this thread.

I threw together a brisket chili because we had rain all day today. I topped it off with some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick for the final flavoring.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/BBQ/Brisketchili102409001Medium.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/BBQ/Brisketchili102409002Medium.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/BBQ/Brisketchili102409003Medium.jpg

Entry pic (below)
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/BBQ/Brisketchili102409004Medium.jpg

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h123/Brauma54/BBQ/Brisketchili102409005Medium.jpg

Hugh Jorgan
10-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Here you go. The dish is Smoked Chicken Bog Stew. The chicken was smoked on the UDS with oak. It was deboned and the carcass simmered in a stock pot with seasonings for around 36 hours. The pot was strained and the chicken added, then the remaining ingredients.

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx199/Hugh_Jorgan31/Foods/GEDC1061.jpg

Thanks for looking.

bigabyte
10-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Some fantastic entries so far!:cool:

smknhotmama
10-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Hugh tell me more about the Bog Stew......

Plowboy
10-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Beef Tenderloin Steak and Lentil soup
Grilled Bacon Frosted Italian bread

Everything was done on the large BGE

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj201/plowboysbbq/Food/steaksoup002.jpg

Paulmark
10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Every entry looks yum!

Rick's Tropical Delight
10-25-2009, 08:08 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-001.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-007.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-009.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-013.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-014.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-022.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-023.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-024.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-039.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-040.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-042.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/turkey/turkeysharkfinstew-043.jpg

use #11 :biggrin:

smknhotmama
10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Dang it Rick! Give someone else a chance...LOL! That looks AMAZING!

thirdeye
10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Wow, this thread came in like a lion...... and then went out like one, and everything in-between looked pretty darn good. :biggrin:

PS, nice move on the selection of edible bowls you guys, both the bread bowl and the punkin' look fantastic.

Gore
10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Who can take some bacon,...

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3956-1.jpg

Put it in a pot, ...

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3959-1.jpg

Fill it with some sausage,

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3960-1.jpg

And smoke it good and hot? The BBQ-man!....

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3988-1.jpg

...satisfying and delicious, talk about your BBQ wishes, you can even eat the dishes!

Fattie-inspired bowl with smoked beef-short-rib chili. Unfortunately, chili was not cooked in the bowl.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3978-1.jpg

Chris, please use the last photo.

smknhotmama
10-25-2009, 08:29 PM
SHUT THE F UP! That is so amazing.....!!!

Plowboy
10-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Those sheers are awesome.

Hugh Jorgan
10-25-2009, 08:35 PM
Those sheers are awesome.

What he said! That dish looks great, but I wanna know where to get some of those big scissors! Give it up.

NorthwestBBQ
10-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Farktastic creation bro! :-D

Gore
10-25-2009, 08:40 PM
The sheers are made by KitchenAid. They came in a set from Costco at one time. One of the best things about them is the come apart for easy cleaning.

hogwild284
10-25-2009, 08:45 PM
I bow to all the masters and their masterpieces. Beautiful pron and all making me hungry. That fatty bowl put it over the top. :-)

thirdeye
10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Holy edible bowls Batman.

SoCalWJS
10-25-2009, 09:21 PM
^^^^^

Gore - Amazing! Great creativity.

Where you folks come up with these things.........................:eek:

Hugh Jorgan
10-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Coming down to the wire, will there be any more insanely delicious entries? I think the last couple might have scared away some of the competition!

Awesome edible bowls, but come on! A fatty bowl?! That truly is farktastic. I'm gonna take a pic of that to the doc's next time I have a check up. I love to see the faces he makes when I talk about BBQ with him.

JD McGee
10-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Dayum! :cool:

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt211/gvideen/chili/IMG_3988-1.jpg

bigabyte
10-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Chili in a Sausage Bacon Bowl???

Brilliant!:cool:

Moose
10-25-2009, 10:14 PM
I'm speechless...can't seem to type...arteries are clogging...

swibirun
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I think we have a winner!

A federal wire tap at Gore's place recorded this:

Gore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000004/): What the **** happened to the BBQ Brethren I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst. "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Gore, we might get in trouble." Well just kiss my a$$ from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this. That "boil ribs guy", he's a dead man! George Foreman Grill, dead! "Fall off the bone ribs night"...
Bigabyte (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001513/): Dead! Gore's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these ***tards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Gore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000004/): We're just the guys to do it.

Excellent job Gore! That bowl rocks.

Paulmark
10-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Pretty awesome...very original..cheers

Paulmark
10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
Wow Rick!! I knew it was comming...knew it'd be good...lordy, lordy, ....another great presentation...bravo.

Plowboy
10-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Sorry to rock the boat, but the meat bowl just isn't calling me. Just doesn't look appetizing to me.

beerguy
10-26-2009, 06:18 AM
No doubt RTD even smoked his "pumpkin" bowl that we've seen on his new countertop all week. This throwndown is awesome. Fark Bobby Flay! A FATTIE bowl! You guys rock!!

Big George's BBQ
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
I just want to dive into the computer screen and eat everything. This is an awesome throwdown