PDA

View Full Version : chicken legs in comp

MoGreen
10-08-2009, 02:05 AM
Has anyone dared to turn in chicken legs in a competition? I know that thighs are the norm, but my legs are so much better... Just wondering if anybody has gone outside the box on this one...

Lippy
10-08-2009, 02:18 AM
I know of people who use them and have judged contestes that they were used. If yours are better go for it.

MilitantSquatter
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I used to use legs exclusively... primarily to to avoid the time consumin thigh trimming and to be a bit different.

Was always hit or miss... but never in the middle of the pack.

They always tasted good but needed some luck to hit a table with judges that were open to legs.

good luck... give them a try and if your not happy with the results, you can switch the next time out.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-08-2009, 07:58 AM
did it all year, great flavor, tender (for legs) great appearance...bottom of the pack every time. they get compared to thighs as far as tenderness. I am going back to thighs.

RobKC
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I've turned them the last two contests. Had perfect appearance scores in Blue Springs, but they were a little dry and finished middle of the pack. They were in the middle again at the AR Open, even though they were cooked very well and tasted great. I haven't seen the judges' individual scores yet. I'll keep experimenting, but will probably go back to thighs next year.

crd26a
10-08-2009, 09:39 AM
I'll keep experimenting, but will probably go back to thighs next year.

God am I glad I've got the parsley boxes to keep me off chicken

Podge
10-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Thighs.. play the game.

Meat Burner
10-08-2009, 08:17 PM
We do thighs primarily but we did Summer Sizzle comp last year with legs...1st place. Switched to thighs for this years contest...1st Place. No clue what table you might get. I do think thighs are your best shot at most comps.