PDA

View Full Version : Catering Research Phase Has Begun For Me.

Cabntmkr1
10-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Well, I have officially begun seeking out HD information, insurance, and city licensing info in anticipation of starting a BBQ catering LLC.
Wish me luck, and I could use a big pep talk.:mrgreen:

BBQ Grail
10-04-2009, 11:26 PM
Stop by BigDogs and he can hook you up with some Spam recipes and make sure you get Mrs. Dogs Broccoli Salad recipe.

Good luck! Gotta name for the business?

tmcmaster
10-05-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm in the same boat...

I have found that always asking questions and erring on the side of safety are good places to start.

Big Don
10-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Doing the same thing here in Southern Indiana, Lotta leg work and planning but will be worth it. Good Luck to both of you!

big brother smoke
10-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Best wishes and make sure y'all do your homework and read the sticky on "Getting started."

BigJimsBBQ
10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Good Luck .... The key is finding out what is needed and get r done.

tmcmaster
10-07-2009, 01:22 AM
Best wishes and make sure y'all do your homework and read the sticky on "Getting started."
That is a fantastic resource!

Dr_KY
10-07-2009, 03:21 AM
I'm here if you need anything. We are miles apart the rules are differant but the goal is the same. The Doc is behing you 1,000%!

Cabntmkr1
10-08-2009, 08:29 AM
"Stop by BigDogs and he can hook you up with some Spam recipes and make sure you get Mrs. Dogs Broccoli Salad recipe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's funny, LArry! I'm sure BD would love to hand over some Spam recipes.:mrgreen:
__________________________________________________ ___________

"I'm here if you need anything. We are miles apart the rules are differant but the goal is the same. The Doc is behing you 1,000%! "
Thanks Doc, you are awesome!
__________________________________________________ ___________

"Best wishes and make sure y'all do your homework and read the sticky on "Getting started." '
That is an awesome thread, BBS. Thanks for your support!
__________________________________________________ __________

BigJim's, BigDon, and TMC, thanks for the advice and comments. I hope to keep pushing forward with this and see what it takes.
I checked into the LLC through LegaZoom, and they want almost $600.00 for the LLC.
That's out of my range right now, so I will be looking for other places like LegalZoom which may be cheaper.
Steve

Dr_KY
10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Alright what is your plan for today?
I try and set out a written game plan of things to do and check them off as I go. You can always add to the list but at least you will have a core to work with and a way to see that you are progressing. :)

Cabntmkr1
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I am posting the PDF file that the HD sent me.
Perhaps one of you could look at it and tell me what you think?
Thanks guys.

musicmanryann
10-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I checked into the LLC through LegaZoom, and they want almost $600.00 for the LLC.
That's out of my range right now, so I will be looking for other places like LegalZoom which may be cheaper.
Steve

$600? I got my LegalZoom LLC done for $150. You don't need all the bells and whistles they try to have you add on.

There was also a discussion on here a week or so ago about filing the paperwork yourself for only the fee the Secretary of State charges.

musicmanryann
10-08-2009, 09:11 AM
It looks pretty standard to me.

Ron_L
10-08-2009, 09:37 AM
I am posting the PDF file that the HD sent me.
Perhaps one of you could look at it and tell me what you think?
Thanks guys.

That looks like requirements for licensing a fixed location. Is there a different process for catering?

Cabntmkr1
10-09-2009, 10:06 PM
That looks like requirements for licensing a fixed location. Is there a different process for catering?
I am going to call them back Monday and ask.
Thanks, Ron.

Cabntmkr1
10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
"There was also a discussion on here a week or so ago about filing the paperwork yourself for only the fee the Secretary of State charges."

Any more info you can provide so I try to find the thread??:confused:
Thanks for the tip. I guess I missed that thread.:eek:

txschutte
10-09-2009, 10:16 PM
If I'm not mistaken, KS and NE rules are very similar. Here I just had to have a kitchen to be certified for drop off catering. Onsite catering here says you just have to cook onsite, with whatever provisions you have ONSITE. Here, the license is about the chef and his habits while prepping and cooking food, not the equipment.

txschutte
10-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Start checking for ServSafe classes.

JD McGee
10-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Rules here in WA say we have to have a seperate prep kitchen approved by the HD.

http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/foodsafety/FoodBusiness/catering.aspx

I'm working on renting a space and checking in to "private chef" rules as well...(per Big Brother Smoke)...might be a way around the HD??? Good luck! :-P

smokestack
10-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Am I missing something?- can't seem to find the sticky-"gettting started" probably right in front of me

sorry -just found it -duh I am going to read it also

Cabntmkr1
10-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Am I missing something?- can't seem to find the sticky-"gettting started" probably right in front of me

sorry -just found it -duh I am going to read it also
Here it is again, for other's benefit.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51391

Bigdog
10-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Here are some of my Spam recipes:

1) Throw the Spam away and cook something good.
2) Smash it with a big arse wood splitter. See #1
3) Set it on a log and cook it in the middle of a hot fire for about 12 hours and then have a drunk kid eat it. See # 1

Feel free to use any or all recipes. :roll:

Hey Steve, good luck with the catering thingie. You always know where a taster/helper is.

gandcwatson
10-19-2009, 12:04 PM
I have done the same up here in washington state I have run all the road blocks and I have gotten my health permit and business lic and when the lady ask me if I had wheel chair acc, I just smiled and said yes. Thur was our frist day in front of Ace Hardware here and like clock work the health inspector drove by, but didn't stop so that's a good thing, After you get over the first hump the rest is easy, Get you a list of things to do people places and things to do, keep all the people you talk to there names and ext. this will help when you talk to the same person again, Be so sweet until honey drips from your lips. All the lic are for fixed location only they have to change the wording for us also. And above all have fun and don't over think it!

Cabntmkr1
10-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks to all of you for the great advice.
I got my SafeServ Certification today! Yippee!:mrgreen:
Still need to call the HD back about that stationary license -vs- mobile license issue.
Also, the insurance co. said I could get a million dollar policy for $249.00/yr.
If I want a $2,000.00 rider for meat spoilage due to temperature loss it is another $50.00/yr.
Sounds reasonable to me... how about you?
Steve

gandcwatson
10-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Jest think when the paper works done and you have set up for the first time how good it will feel! It's all worth it. take a deep breath and smell that BBQ working. Have fun!

jbrink01
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I traded my lawyer a meal for his family in return for the llc.

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks to all of you for the great advice.
I got my SafeServ Certification today! Yippee!:mrgreen:
Still need to call the HD back about that stationary license -vs- mobile license issue.
Also, the insurance co. said I could get a million dollar policy for $249.00/yr.
If I want a $2,000.00 rider for meat spoilage due to temperature loss it is another $50.00/yr.
Sounds reasonable to me... how about you?
Steve

Congrats Steve.
Safeserve not needed here (yet) for catering or vending. Are you planning on a mobile trailer or just on-site catering? No license required to cater i should think. Just common sense.
Liability sounds decent, Mike has our policy but i think its a tad cheaper. Meat spoilage ins.??? Might not be a bad idea.
Keep us updated on your progress!

Spydermike72
10-20-2009, 10:04 AM
Congrats Steve.
Safeserve not needed here (yet) for catering or vending. Are you planning on a mobile trailer or just on-site catering? No license required to cater i should think. Just common sense.
Liability sounds decent, Mike has our policy but i think its a tad cheaper. Meat spoilage ins.??? Might not be a bad idea.

Our Liability policy is approx $350 per year and that is for $1 million Umbrella and $10,000 on all equipment... Meat Spoilage is a thought...

Cabntmkr1
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Congrats Steve.
I am thinking on-site and drop-off for now...
Have to get more info. from the HD though.
Still have a lot of unanswered questions.:sad:

Bbq Bubba
10-20-2009, 01:47 PM
I am thinking on-site and drop-off for now...
Have to get more info. from the HD though.
Still have a lot of unanswered questions.:sad:

Well, i know it's different from state to state, but thats what were here for!

Shoot us your questions! :biggrin: