PDA

View Full Version : GC @ AR Open

C-Town Smoker
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
Boondoggle BBQ takes Grand Championship

Ron_L
10-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Congrats to Don and Bob! Great job!

I also heard that Smokin' Cracker took RGC! Great job Jimmy and the gang!

Great weekend for the Brethren at the Royal!

Exe-que-tioner
10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Awesome job Bob and Don! :eusa_clap It must be a totally awesome feeling! :icon_cool

Jorge
10-04-2009, 05:58 PM
The next time anybody hears Bob whine about their chicken.....just ignore him:-P

Ron_L
10-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Full open results are posted...

http://www.arbbq.com/arbbq.com/ContestResults/tabid/73/Default.aspx

MilitantSquatter
10-04-2009, 06:03 PM
Congrats Guys !!!

Coz
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Awesome job guys,CONGRATS

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Congrats to all the walked but dang - Fat Angel takes 1st place in ribs. Pretty Cool. Major congrats to Steve and team!

GratefulSmoker
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Congrats Boondoggle!!!! Congrats also to all the Brethren that walked!

Scottie
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Congrats Boondoggle!!

Yakfishingfool
10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
BBQ Brethren 13th in chicken!!! Yes!!!!!!!

Wait, are these last years?????

Yakfishingfool
10-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Still confused.....

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Congrats Boondoggle!...can it get any better the 13th place chicken for the Brethren? awesome showing!!!

Westexbbq
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice going folks,
congratulations Jimmy and all y'all.

MilitantSquatter
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM

Yak - you're looking at the '08 results..

Sledneck
10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
COngrats to boondoggle on GC and to Cracker on RGC

mrwicks
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
congrats to all the brethren competing and getting a call in the A.R ..... the teams with 0's across the board...did they register and not show up ?? whats the deal with that ?

Jorge
10-04-2009, 06:39 PM
congrats to all the brethren competing and getting a call in the A.R ..... the teams with 0's across the board...did they register and not show up ?? whats the deal with that ?

In the Open, it's more than likely that nothing was turned in for that category.

Buster Dog BBQ
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
The next time anybody hears Bob whine about their chicken.....just ignore him:-P
Yeah, that is no chit. Very happy for them.

Rub
10-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Jiiiiiiiiiimy!! Woo-boy, look at that Smokin Cracker sitting at RGC, how cool is that?!?!? That is friggen awesome my friend, I am so happy for you. Talk about a turnaround in the chicken! Man, I am excited for you :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Then we've got Barbeque Crew - Foy sitting REAL pretty in brisket both days with a 6th and a 5th. Man-o-man, awesome stuff.

GC to Boondoggle, 1st in ribs to Fat Angel, wow that is great stuff. Congrats to all, love to see friends kick a$$.

SmokeInDaEye
10-04-2009, 07:04 PM
No sh*t???? That rocks boondogle and jimmy. Im stuck in minneapolis trying to get home after the best weekend ever!

stan
10-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Congrats Boondoogle BBQ!!!!! You two deserve it...

LMAJ
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Congrats! Must be very exciting.

Smokin Mike
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I had the pleasure to watch in person, WOW!

congrats guys!

thillin
10-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Congrats to all!

Muzzlebrake
10-04-2009, 07:52 PM
nice job everyone

moocow
10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Bob and Don, could not have happened to a better couple of guys! I am proud to call you guys friends. We stunk it up with a finish in the 300's but I could care less, seeing you guys win made our day! Enjoy!

watertowerbbq
10-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Don and Bobby!!!!!!!!! Way to go guys! I see a couple of FEC 100's in your future. :-D

Solidkick
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Congrats to Boonedoggle! Awesome job! What a great event to get it all together with the scoring! You guys will be flying high for days!

Teresa and I spent quite a bit of time with Jimmy this weekend....we had an excellent time! Congrats to the Smokin' Cracker team on the RGC! It took you the 1st day to learn what the borrowed cooker would do, but you farkin nailed it the next day!
Who knows what the invitational would have held for you if you just would have had better chicken to work with. I'm glad you got different for Sunday!

Yakfishingfool
10-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah the invitational stuff was last years? But the open was there. Congrats to all the brethren competing!!!!

Balls Casten
10-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Congrats guys,
A brethren finishing list ... (http://smokerspurgatory.com/cooks/americanroyal/place.htm)

Big George's BBQ
10-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Congrats to all. Awesome job

WineMaster
10-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow Don & Bobby. Great Job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BurntFinger_Jason
10-04-2009, 09:36 PM
HUGE CONGRATS TO THE BOONDOGGLES!!!!!! We were screaming our arses off for you guys. I bet that TR tastes extra good tonight. :)

Jeff_in_KC
10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Outstanding, Don and Bob!!! Congratulations!!!

Cabntmkr1
10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Congrats to all the brethren and sistern!!

SloppyQ
10-04-2009, 10:58 PM
Good job Bobby and Don and congrats to Jimmy on RGC.

tboneld
10-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Guys, You just won the biggest BBQ Contest in the world!! What more can be said. Oh yeah, what a purse too. Nice work.

Roo-B-Q'N
10-05-2009, 08:04 AM
Awesome job Don and Bob congratulations to the both of you.

Kudos to you to Jimmy, cooking on unfamiliar cookers and taking RGC is great.

Congtrats to all the brethren that walked this weekend.

pat
10-05-2009, 08:04 AM
That is so awesome!! Congrats to the Boondoggle boys!!!

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Wait, are these last years?????

You were even THERE last year. :roll: Silly rabbit.

HoDeDo
10-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Congrats to Todd on the Invitational Win and to Don/Bob for the Open... I can't think of any better guys to represent the top of our game.

I already told Bob and Don, that it's my turn to shig.... :)

What a great weekend... and a fun time with all our friends from Cali to Florida, and Oklahoma to NY!!!

warfrat
10-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Great Job to everyone! Very happy for my FBA friends! Congrats to JB with Smokin Cracker and Larry with Mt. Dora for the overalls. And especially my buddy Foy with Barbecue Crew or the two 5th place briskets.

Solidkick
10-05-2009, 09:33 AM
I already told Bob and Don, that it's my turn to shig.... :)

Ummm.....couldn't you have called it a Smoke on Wheels cooking class and send them a bill? :twisted: But, you'd have to send me one too! :tongue:

Kenna Jo
10-05-2009, 02:16 PM
What an awesome week-end for BBQ and the Brethren! From a CBJs perspective, I know I had some fantastic BBQ (killer brisket) both days. Congrats to all the Brethren who walked, plus a big shout out to all my boys from the Iowa BBQ Society!

Kosmo's Q
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Congrats Bob and Don. nice job you did there. Also congrats to Todd on the invitational!

Kosmo

musicmanryann
10-05-2009, 03:02 PM
BOOOOOOOOONDOGGLE!!!

Way to go guys--a win of epic proportions! I had a great time celebrating with you last night!

Also congrats to all the other brethren who walked! What a great weekend for the greatest forum on the internets!

Shotgun
10-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Congrats Bob and Don, Im glad we were there to witness your great win! Congrats to all brother who walked as well.

KC_Bobby
10-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone. For once, I'm speechless. But I do know that we could not have done it without this forum. Reading the forum, checking out turn in pics, cooking with some of you and hearing input from the countless brothers out there were a huge part of our weekend.

Smokin' Joe
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Booooondoglers rule the Royal :-D:eusa_clap

Huge congrats to both of you, you should have seen the mini brethren Iowa chearing section we had assembled go nuts when your name was called for GC...it was priceless, I tried to take a "reaction" picture of ya but all I got was hands in the air:mrgreen:

I am dog tired and feel like I got hit by a mack truck but man that was fun:eusa_clap

Just Pulin' Pork
10-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Bob and Don, what a blast seeing you guys win the American Royal! Congrats again!

BTW you gald you signed up for the Kingsford Challenge :)

Jon

watg?
10-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Congrats to Boondoggle and to all that were called.

smokincracker
10-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Made it home.....
Thanks everyone.. and congrats to all that got called. A big thanks to everyone that helped us. Thanks Good-One Smokers for the cooker and tent, and JULIE The Queen Swamp Pit BABE you ROCK for all the Stuff. I had a blast! just too damn tired to write all I need to say.

smokincracker
10-05-2009, 07:40 PM
I got no pictures of the awards so if anyone has any or has seen any posted please share. Thanks

thenewguy
10-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I finally got a chance to sit down and fire up the laptop...what a weekend!
That was freakin' awesome hearing all the bretheren names being called(and yes I'm jealous!) but it felt great seeing you guys walk the walk!

Bigmista
10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
That was an absolutely amazing weekend! Congrats to Spicewine, Boondoggle, Smokin Cracker, Plowboy and Captain caveman!

Thank you all of you for the love you showed me during my first trip to the royal. I got shake hands and hug so many people that I have only spoken with on the phone or on the internet and I feel like my family just got so much bigger and closer.

A special shout out to Big Dog for picking me up, driving me around and bring my "room dog".

A big thanks to the MoKanMeatheads for putting up with me an providing a place for me to cook. I loved cooking with you guys and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks to Todd for letting me burn macaroni in his trailer.

A meaty rye bread thanks to Julie and Skip for the Skippy Burgers.

And an extra special thanks to Andy and Kim for not only taking me to the airport but allowing me in their home.

I love you all!!

Pics to come...

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
That was an absolutely amazing weekend! Congrats to Spicewine, Boondoggle, Smokin Cracker, Plowboy and Captain caveman!

Thank you all of you for the love you showed me during my first trip to the royal. I got shake hands and hug so many people that I have only spoken with on the phone or on the internet and I feel like my family just got so much bigger and closer.

A special shout out to Big Dog for picking me up, driving me around and bring my "room dog".

A big thanks to the MoKanMeatheads for putting up with me an providing a place for me to cook. I loved cooking with you guys and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thanks to Todd for letting me burn macaroni in his trailer.

A meaty rye bread thanks to Julie and Skip for the Skippy Burgers.

And an extra special thanks to Andy and Kim for not only taking me to the airport but allowing me in their home.

I love you all!!

Pics to come...

I didn't know the hug was optional. :shock:

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 08:44 PM
BOOOOOOOOONDOGGLE!!!

Way to go guys--a win of epic proportions! I had a great time celebrating with you last night!

Also congrats to all the other brethren who walked! What a great weekend for the greatest forum on the internets!

We prefer the term: BoonDizzle.

Captain Caveman
10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Congrats to Boondoggle and Smokin' Cracker!! Great showing from the brethren this weekend.

Bigmista
10-05-2009, 10:14 PM
I didn't know the hug was optional. :shock:

For you, it wasn't.

BChawg
10-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Congrats Boondoggle---I think I'll let you cook the pig next time. Your win motivated me to send my 1st ever Brethren post. The look on your face was priceless!

Clark

musicmanryann
10-06-2009, 08:55 AM
Congrats Boondoggle---I think I'll let you cook the pig next time. Your win motivated me to send my 1st ever Brethren post. The look on your face was priceless!

Clark

Hey Clark welcome! I noticed you did pretty well that day too! Top 50 right? Way to go!

BChawg
10-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks--we had a good run across the board for us, I really meant to stop in and say hello to you and alot of others, but can't seem to make it out of my own spot except for an occasional visit to the Porta John! The wind kept me on my toes at this one--Holy Moly

PS I'll be up in Aimes 3rd week in October, we should get together and have some dinner, etc. How are you liking the new FEC's?

Clark

Useless
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone. For once, I'm speechless. But I do know that we could not have done it without this forum. Reading the forum, checking out turn in pics, cooking with some of you and hearing input from the countless brothers out there were a huge part of our weekend.

Congrats, any pics of your turn in's? :icon_devil

The Giggler
10-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Big Congrats to KC Bobby and DMDon of Boondoggle! You guys did your thing. The brisket and ribs ROCKED! I guess the judges thought so too. What is most impressive, was how calm the guys were during turn ins. Last minute decisions/discussions on brisket were razor sharp, and I believe that made the difference. Confident coolness.

How about that $8.00 investment turning into $12,500+?!?! :-D And I believe you made some money in the other two categories as well? Hopefully, Kingsford matches those too. A big weekend.

The hospitality at Boondoggle was also second to none. Thanks a bunch for the Templeton and Boulevard IPA! Great meeing you guys and sharing some time over the weekend, and looking forward to seeing you guys again.

bayoustylebbq
10-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Boondoggle!... Great job y'll... What a great win for a great team! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PigBoy
10-06-2009, 10:10 PM
I want to congratulate you also! It was so cool to see you guys win- you've worked so hard to be the best you can be. And now you can say you are THE BEST IN THE WORLD!!!:-D

HoDeDo
10-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Big Congrats to KC Bobby and DMDon of Boondoggle! The hospitality at Boondoggle was also second to none. Thanks a bunch for the Templeton and Boulevard IPA! Great meeing you guys and sharing some time over the weekend, and looking forward to seeing you guys again.

These are two of the best... they have earned it! they have worked hard this year!!! And they are great guys to boot. cant beat it!

KC_Bobby
10-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Wow, the last 48 hours have been a blur. Giddy one minute, in disbelief the next. Surreal ... like a 12 year old dreaming about scoring the winning TD in the big game.

So many highlights to the entire event, Sunday was just the icing on the cake. Wednesday night sharing a few beers and a shot with Damnit Andy. Thursday was fun hanging with some great BBQ friends I've been fortunate enough to meet over the past few years and some even minutes prior. Friday I had an outstanding time with family and some longtime friends while we started the night at our spot then a few of us did some party hopping - thanks to those of you who invited us in for socializing. Saturday I was able to cheer on many friends as they were bringing in Invitational turns ins and while receiving their awards, then the Invite winner letting me wear the crown and hold the trophy so I could feel how heavy it was. And Sunday - OMG.

Some other things that I will always remember about the weekend:

Trying to figure out what Skip was saying all week ... I need to work on my NE accent deciphering. Sorry Skip

Alcoholosophizing with MooCow late Friday night/Saturday morning

Borrowing Early Bird's bike for a spin about 2:00 am. And flying into Tippy Canoe's space just under Mach 1.

Then challenging Giggler to a Top Chef sausage challenge was another part of the weekend I'll never forget. That was a lot of fun.

Getting the call from the Grand Poobah himself.

Sunday night bale burning with the Iowa Regional Brethren Chapter.

Meeting so many new friends throughout the weekend face to face - incredible. I don't know how many weekends that I'll remember in 50 years, but this was definitely one of them thanks to the many people that I had the pleasure to spend time with.

EDIT: how could I forget ... being fortunate enough to compete as a team with my brother (even if the ribs and brisket outscored the chicken and pork by .0004)

nancee
10-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Great showing by all Brethren...congrats to all!!!
Todd, can I say I knew you when...<g>?
ISS...damn you're good
KC Bobby and Cracker...how di you do that?!?!?
Again, fantastic finishes...many congrats
Nancee

musicmanryann
10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks--we had a good run across the board for us, I really meant to stop in and say hello to you and alot of others, but can't seem to make it out of my own spot except for an occasional visit to the Porta John! The wind kept me on my toes at this one--Holy Moly

PS I'll be up in Aimes 3rd week in October, we should get together and have some dinner, etc. How are you liking the new FEC's?

Clark

I hear you about not being able to make it out of your spot. Between all the company we have and everything there is to do, I struggled to get out as well.

I have not even plugged them in yet. We just moved two weeks ago and have spent the last two weekends at competitions, so things have been crazy busy for us. I am looking forward to practicing on them all winter, though.

Let me know when you are coming up. OUr house my not be in shape to have you over, but maybe we could go out or something.

musicmanryann
10-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Trying to figure out what Skip was saying all week ... I need to work on my NE accent deciphering. Sorry Skip

I don't know if anyone has ever listening to the NPR show "Car Talk", but I thought it was uncanny how Skip sounded exactly like one of "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers"!:lol: It was great to meet you and your wife this weekend Skip!

smknwhlswife
10-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Congrats Bobby and Don!!!! I was really glad to have you guys as neighbors. Next time I'll stick around longer while you are prepping meat.:wink: Thanks for letting the girls wear the crown for a little bit, you made their day! Sorry the "Maid Service" didn't come around to help you break down.:lol:

Jimmy - Congrats on the RGC!!! It was great meeting you. Hopefully we'll see you in FL sometime soon.

Paola Greg
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Bob and Don, congratulations on your awesome win! I'm really happy for you.

smokincracker
10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Nice going folks,
congratulations Jimmy and all y'all.

Thanks bro
missed ya this year

smokincracker
10-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Congrats Bobby and Don!!!! I was really glad to have you guys as neighbors. Next time I'll stick around longer while you are prepping meat.:wink: Thanks for letting the girls wear the crown for a little bit, you made their day! Sorry the "Maid Service" didn't come around to help you break down.:lol:

Jimmy - Congrats on the RGC!!! It was great meeting you. Hopefully we'll see you in FL sometime soon.

Thanks Kim
You guys rock

Sledneck
10-07-2009, 09:09 PM

)
Nah I dont think its a NE deciphering problem. I live a mile away from Skip and have hard time understanding what he is saying sometimes:tongue:

Plowboy
10-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I don't know if anyone has ever listening to the NPR show "Car Talk", but I thought it was uncanny how Skip sounded exactly like one of "Click and Clack, the Tappet Brothers"!:lol: It was great to meet you and your wife this weekend Skip!

Don't cook like my brahtha.

DMDon
10-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks to all for for the congrats. It takes me a while to compute all that happened this last weekend. I owe alot to alot of people when it comes BBQ. Plowboy Todd and Damnit Andy have never not answered any of my multitude of questins. There are many others who have been there to assist with whatever we needed. This would not have been possible without this forum. I don't post much, but I sure read most of it. A special thanks to Bob from BBQ Bonanza, he got me a part for my smoker when I needed it. We had great neighbors with Smoke on Wheels and his extended New York family. Skip makes a great burger, it really hit the spot. Most importantly is my treamate Bobby, he keeps me on task and is my sense of reason when it comes to turnins. I would be lost out there without him. It also didn't hurt that he nailed the chicken(that doesn't sound right) I'm still not sure that what happened is real, and every time I look at the trophy it chokes me up to think of how fortunate I am.

Congrats, any pics of your turn in's? :icon_devil

Buster Dog BBQ
10-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Don, that dessert looks fabulous. What is it?

smknwhlswife
10-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Don brought one of his leftover apples for the girls to share.....Kaylin ate the whole thing before Lauren even knew there was one! LOL! She LOVED it!!

musicmanryann
10-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Don't cook like my brahtha.

And don't cook like my bratha.

musicmanryann
10-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Awesome pics Don! Enjoy the ride man!

DMDon
10-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Don, that dessert looks fabulous. What is it?

Thanks, I baked apple crisp in the smoker. Put a spoonful in each apple, topped with vanilla bean ice cream, carmel sauce and whipped topping

monty3777
10-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I'm kinda coming to all this late - but congrats you guys!

VGuilford
10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Wow, the last 48 hours have been a blur. Giddy one minute, in disbelief the next. Surreal ... like a 12 year old dreaming about scoring the winning TD in the big game.

So many highlights to the entire event, Sunday was just the icing on the cake. Wednesday night sharing a few beers and a shot with Damnit Andy. Thursday was fun hanging with some great BBQ friends I've been fortunate enough to meet over the past few years and some even minutes prior. Friday I had an outstanding time with family and some longtime friends while we started the night at our spot then a few of us did some party hopping - thanks to those of you who invited us in for socializing. Saturday I was able to cheer on many friends as they were bringing in Invitational turns ins and while receiving their awards, then the Invite winner letting me wear the crown and hold the trophy so I could feel how heavy it was. And Sunday - OMG.

Alcoholosophizing with MooCow late Friday night/Saturday morning

Borrowing Early Bird's bike for a spin about 2:00 am. And flying into Tippy Canoe's space just under Mach 1.

Then challenging Giggler to a Top Chef sausage challenge was another part of the weekend I'll never forget. That was a lot of fun.

Getting the call from the Grand Poobah himself.

Meeting so many new friends throughout the weekend face to face - incredible. I don't know how many weekends that I'll remember in 50 years, but this was definitely one of them thanks to the many people that I had the pleasure to spend time with.

EDIT: how could I forget ... being fortunate enough to compete as a team with my brother (even if the ribs and brisket outscored the chicken and pork by .0004)

You forgot one thing
YOU GUYS ARE GOING TO THE JACK NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!

Smokin' Joe
10-10-2009, 11:31 AM

I think the late night bike ride may have to become tradition now:lol:

Sunday night was awesome, we were so happy for you...when they called your name for GC I started going nuts and my buddies wife says to me...I take it you know them? Hell ya I know 'em:mrgreen:

Smokin' Joe
10-10-2009, 12:06 PM
A pic of the Iowa Brethren Regional Bale Burning Party Sunday night
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/joebellbucket/250.jpg?t=1255194225

monty3777
10-11-2009, 02:17 PM
A pic of the Iowa Brethren Regional Bale Burning Party Sunday night
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/joebellbucket/250.jpg?t=1255194225

This picture is missing something (or someone...). Just can't put my finger on it.

smoke-n-my-i's
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Congrats Boondoogle BBQ!! and all the rest that got a call. Better late than never, but we got back late Tuesday, and had to turn around and leave out on Friday for a local comp.... total of 2700 miles, 3 comps in 10 days..... I am beat.....

I have lots of pics and I am working on getting them uploaded so I can get them posted.