PDA

View Full Version : Pellets dominating comp bbq

Sledneck
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Tuesday, September 22, 2009 13:45 http://www.drinksmediawire.com/images/picto_uk.gif (http://www.drinksmediawire.com/afficher_cdp.asp?id=5427&lng=2)
Six of Top Ten KCBS-ranked Teams Smoked on Cookshack's Pellet Smokers

Six of the top ten Kansas City Barbeque Society ranked teams made their way to the top smoking on Fast Eddy's by Cookshack wood-pellet fired smokers.

Six of the Kansas City Barbeque Society's top ten ranked teams climbed to the top while smoking on Fast Eddy's by Cookshack smokers.

Top-ranked Pellet Envy, Iowa's Smokey D's, Butcher BBQ, 4 Legs Up BBQ, I Smell Smoker, and Pork Pullin Plowboys dominated the top ten rankings. Smoke on Wheels, Smoky Mountain Smokers, and KC Can Crew placed in the top 20.

Says long-time champion Ed "Fast Eddy" Maurin, designer of the Fast Eddy's by Cookshack smokers, "Serious competitors have made smoking with pellets a growing trend. Competitors cite consistency of results as a major factor, along with the reliability of thermostatically-controlled heat. These guys go to bed and get a good night's sleep while others are up all night tending the fire."

Love of cooking and competing drives teams, but the cash awards help pay the bills. Carolyn Wells, Executive Director of the Kansas City Barbeque Society, major contest sanctioning organization, estimates that prize money will total about $2.2 million in 2009.

Cookshack Barbecue Equipment
Cookshack manufactures smoker ovens for commercial, home, and competition use under the brand names of Cookshack and Fast Eddy's by Cookshack. Cookshack has an industry-wide reputation for its high quality products and exceptional customer service. The company has been in business for over 40 years and ships its products worldwide. Cookshack is privately held and is located in Oklahoma. Commercial equipment is NSF approved and most models are UL or ETL listed; most stainless steel models are USDA approved. Residential equipment is UL listed. The company's products are made in the USA.

http://www.drinksmediawire.com/afficher_cdp.asp?id=5427&lng=2

bigdogphin
09-29-2009, 06:37 PM
This makes a good case for gettin an FEC. Is there a ranking all the smokers? I am going back and forth between an FEC or stumps.

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
"I Smell Smoker" -- Nice

ThomEmery
09-29-2009, 07:15 PM
We love ours

ole'e
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
I believe pellet envy has cooked more on his geer this year than pellets. Besides like any good cook will tell you it is the cook not the cooker that makes good que.
Eric

Big George's BBQ
09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I am planning to change my gear I keep going back and forth between a Backwoods and a Pellet Pooper. I want a trailer that I can pack everything and be able to leave it there until the next Comp

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Anyone wanting to see an FEC-100 close up, come by at the Royal.

Sledneck
09-29-2009, 07:52 PM
If I wasnt retiring from comps after this year I would def get one

MilitantSquatter
09-29-2009, 07:53 PM

retirement is not so bad.. you can collect BGE's.

I look forward to your blog entry on this retirement subject...unless you're gonna be like Brett Farve and lead everyone on :wink:

JD McGee
09-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Swamprb and I have been considering an FEC as an addition once our catering business gets up and running. I'd be hard pressed at this point to give up our bullets with the success we've had with them this year at comps. Still...it would be nice to get some shut-eye...:cool:

HoDeDo
09-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I believe pellet envy has cooked more on his geer this year than pellets. Besides like any good cook will tell you it is the cook not the cooker that makes good que.
Eric

I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

But hey, I think they are catching on, I may try one this weekend :razz:

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I was just going to say that.... and I thought Kelly had a modded traeger with a cabinet, and his CS570.... and saying KC Can Crew - cooks in an FEC, now that is a stretch. gotta love marketing folks

I just use mine to set the sauce on my pork slices.

ZILLA
09-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Might as well just make the jump to electric ovens and be done with it. :| Where's the skill? Whats the point? What's next, cooking on an FEC in your yard and posting pictures on the KCBS website for the judges to review??

To me it's no different than rib boliers and Crock Pot Pork butts.

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Might as well just make the jump to electric ovens and be done with it. :| Where's the skill? Whats the point? What's next, cooking on an FEC in your yard and posting pictures on the KCBS website for the judges to review??

They probably use MSG, too.

I assume you feel the same way about anyone using a Guru or Stoker. Am I right?

ique
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM

The other 1/2 of the top ten burn logs in Jambo pits (including the guy in first) so all is not lost :-P :wink:

Sledneck
09-29-2009, 08:09 PM

To me it's no different than rib boliers and Crock Pot Pork butts.Bam!!! I cant believe it took 13 posts! You guys are getting slow:rolleyes:

Buster Dog BBQ
09-29-2009, 08:10 PM
I want a second FEC after using mine this year. I love it and wish I had gotten it sooner.

Muzzlebrake
09-29-2009, 08:29 PM
say what you want but I think I can get used to drinking beer watching people clean ash out of fire boxes and greasy water pans...........I'll tell you in a few weeks

jagardn
09-29-2009, 08:40 PM
They probably use MSG, too.

I assume you feel the same way about anyone using a Guru or Stoker. Am I right?

Is using a GURU cheating? Well, call me a bright eyed and bushy tailed SOB, my full nights sleep is priceless!
Cheaters use MSG!:rolleyes:

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM
The other 1/2 of the top ten burn logs in Jambo pits (including the guy in first) so all is not lost :-P :wink: Without Guru's.

I only count one Jambo - Pellet Envy. Didn't Lotta Bull switch cookers? If not, then 2.

QueTPiesBBQ
09-29-2009, 08:44 PM
It sure is nice to get a little more sleep at nights with the FEC. I really like ours, after seeing them up close last year. We went right out and bought one and sold our mobile pit.

ique
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Without Guru's.

I only count one Jambo - Pellet Envy. Didn't Lotta Bull switch cookers? If not, then 2.

Yeah you are right.

Although I bet Checkered Pig, Trigg, Cool Smoke and a few others are right outside the top 10, plus I think Munchin Hogs and QUAU are also using stick burners

I'm pretty sure LB is still cooking on the Jambo

That said, I'll admit I'm tempted by a FE

Nitrofly
09-29-2009, 09:19 PM

Come on say it ain't so Sled :confused:

Jeff_in_KC
09-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Yep marketing people are crack ups! LOL! KC Can Crew uses his FEC as a holding oven for the most part! And you thought Cambros were expensive ways to hold your Q!

Smokin Mike
09-29-2009, 09:27 PM
FEC's farking ROCK!

Scottie
09-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Now your talking. Can I borrow the Geer then? I mean, if I had to. Otherwise, I can swing both ways and use a pellet cooker. Let me know if I can set one up for you!

Ron_L
09-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Otherwise, I can swing both ways and use a pellet cooker.

I'm glad that you clarified that :rolleyes:

n2dabluebbq
09-29-2009, 10:30 PM
while i am a stickhead, i can understand the attraction of getting sleep. but i too often wonder what the is the joy in a set it and forget it cook. of course we all know tht while it may be mostly trouble free, things can and do happen.
i also must agree that its the cook and not the cooker, i have gotten second in brisket and also have gotten 18th before too. personally i think sometimes there is too much emphasis on turn in looks(although i have down avg to above avg on that). my biggest downfall has been that i cook on mesquite and use a not so sweet sauce(and very little at that).
i was even told by another competitor(rgc) that so long as i cooked with mesquite, i would never win a kcbs event. to which i replied that i came for the company and enjoyment of new and old friends. winning at bbq comps is not as much a top priorty with me as it seems it is with some folks.

YankeeBBQ
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah I can't believe those jerks that enter a bbq COMPETITION to win. I hear there's a great recipe for wasabi cream sauce out there somewhere...

while i am a stickhead, i can understand the attraction of getting sleep. but i too often wonder what the is the joy in a set it and forget it cook. of course we all know tht while it may be mostly trouble free, things can and do happen.
i also must agree that its the cook and not the cooker, i have gotten second in brisket and also have gotten 18th before too. personally i think sometimes there is too much emphasis on turn in looks(although i have down avg to above avg on that). my biggest downfall has been that i cook on mesquite and use a not so sweet sauce(and very little at that).
i was even told by another competitor(rgc) that so long as i cooked with mesquite, i would never win a kcbs event. to which i replied that i came for the company and enjoyment of new and old friends. winning at bbq comps is not as much a top priorty with me as it seems it is with some folks.

BBQchef33
09-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Whatever happen to its the cook, not the cooker.?

Dont jump the gun, rumor has it that when Jeff gets elected to the BOD, his first motion will be to ban the ovens. :) (YES Oven.. acording the control panel on the FE, it a says "OVEN TEMP". So it muyst me an oven. I also heard kenmore and whirlpool are starting to make pellet ovens too) :) :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

That being said. I like my FE.. I start the meats in the Pit(Klose, spicewine, etc) give em 4-5-6 hours in smoke, then move to the oven and get some sleep. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just like the heavier smoke.. but the family likes the FE studff on its own with the lighter smokiness. (and so do the judges).

hold on folks.. here we go!

ALX
09-29-2009, 11:00 PM
BBQ COMPS are a sport these days....Have no problem,but it does suck if folks can just copy,set and forget and pick up the check....

Sounds like a quality recipe and these rigs and...........next people will be popping roids.......

Plowboy
09-29-2009, 11:20 PM
winning at bbq comps is not as much a top priorty with me as it seems it is with some folks.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Competition BBQ isn't just one thing, I've learned.

n2dabluebbq
09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
just as there is nothing wrong in getting involved more so with the financial aspect. folks, please do not misread what i have written. after all it is but one mans point of view.
i had always been a very competitive person till a little wake up call in 2003. it was after recovering from that, when i realized that i personally would much rather have a great time at a comp, and relieve some of the stress brought on through my everyday life. just my two sticks worth. lol

Jorge
09-29-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah I can't believe those jerks that enter a bbq COMPETITION to win. I hear there's a great recipe for wasabi cream sauce out there somewhere...

Sounds like 13th place chicken to me:wink:

Sledneck
09-30-2009, 06:47 AM
Come on say it ain't so Sled :confused:
Yep, with exception of New Holland thats all I will do. My son still helps but at the age of 15 he has other interests such as the opposite sex. The nerve of him:rolleyes::biggrin:.

Sticks-n-chicks
09-30-2009, 06:54 AM

Exactly...

U2CANQUE
09-30-2009, 07:17 AM
rumor has it that when Jeff gets elected to the BOD, his first motion will be to ban the ovens. :)
Hmmm, he sure didnt put that up on his website......what say you Jeff?

Roo-B-Q'N
09-30-2009, 08:22 AM

That is the way Kelly was set up this weeken d at River City Roundup. He was also set up like that in Dillon Co. To tell you the trueth I didn't even know he had an FEC

With all of this talk of pellet poopers, I guess I can tell all of you that I am taking things slow. I am looking into an pellet oven, and have taken the first step towards using one. I have 14 bags of pellets in my truck.

Naaaaaaa just kidding, I do have the pellets in my truck, but I am just holding them for a friend.

early mornin' smokin'
09-30-2009, 08:40 AM
sled...i dont know whats worse, girls or que....and im with phil, the fec-100 says right on the control panel, oven temperature, they are awesome units, but have their place.

Dr_KY
09-30-2009, 08:45 AM
I want a pellet cooker in a big way!! I have been assisted with one int the last few catering gigs and they are a great tool.

SmokeInDaEye
09-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Yep, with exception of New Holland thats all I will do. My son still helps but at the age of 15 he has other interests such as the opposite sex. The nerve of him:rolleyes::biggrin:.

Since you're retiring, can I buy your gurus? If you can't beat em, join em.

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Whatever happen to its the cook, not the cooker.?

Dont jump the gun, rumor has it that when Jeff gets elected to the BOD, his first motion will be to ban the ovens. :) (YES Oven.. acording the control panel on the FE, it a says "OVEN TEMP". So it muyst me an oven. I also heard kenmore and whirlpool are starting to make pellet ovens too) :) :mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

That being said. I like my FE.. I start the meats in the Pit(Klose, spicewine, etc) give em 4-5-6 hours in smoke, then move to the oven and get some sleep. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap I just like the heavier smoke.. but the family likes the FE studff on its own with the lighter smokiness. (and so do the judges).

hold on folks.. here we go!

so you are against using them but use one anyway?:confused:
what happened burning a log in a hotel pan?:biggrin:
lol

Since you're retiring, can I buy your gurus?

I got one of them collecting dust too...... I don't think it does much if you have a good cooker(s)

and for all of you its the "cook not the cooker" I have a chargriller and a bandera, come use them at a comp, I will bet you the entry fee you don't get top 5.

SmokeInDaEye
09-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Naaaaaaa just kidding, I do have the pellets in my truck, but I am just holding them for a friend.

Enabler.

ique
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
and for all of you its the "cook not the cooker" I have a chargriller and a bandera, come use them at a comp, I will bet you the entry fee you don't get top 5.

I'll take that bet

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I'll take that bet

we'll do it next season.......it'll be fun

Nitrofly
09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I'll take that bet

Chris I wouldn't touch that bet against you
You have proven you can cook on anything.
I respect the hell out of that.:icon_blush:

Scottie
09-30-2009, 09:53 AM
we'll do it next season.......it'll be fun

I still need to cook New Hampshire? Maybe there? :icon_blush: I mean, it's not like the only 2 NEBS contests I cooked this year and Chris didn't take the GC. After sandbagging everyone that he was struggling with his new cooker.... :icon_shy

ZILLA
09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
I'm not in the "those cookers are cheating" camp. Not by a long shot. Nor am I against the guru or any other trick daddy device people have come up with to help them out. I just think it's one more step in the direction that will automate BBQ and further remove the cook from the equation. I think it's a shame that some folks will be raised in that tradition alone and never know what fire management is about or how to overcome bumps in the road that require experience, expertise and thinking on your feet and still produce top quality turn in meat.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not against Pellet machines and I'm no hero when it comes to wanting some sleep, but it's only for a night.

Then there is the even playing field argument...............

Maybe it's about watching tradition going by the wayside. It's like cooking from scratch, I love it but it's a dieing art.

Scottie
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Some of us pelletheads started off using stick burners and Brinkman's and WSM's... So I understand fire control. I also know that competing on my own, I needed something that could allow me to focus on other aspects of my BBQ. Which the FE's allow me to do.

While my girls are getting bigger now a days... Their main goal is to stay out of my way and to have the boxes prepared. If my sister isn't there, then I use my oldest for a box runner. She is also available to other teams that may be int he need. As she has helped teams as famous as Transformer BBQ to low down teams like Pellet Envy.... (I can say all of this stuff, cause I know those boys are going to the Royal...) :twisted:

BBQchef33
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
so you are against using them but use one anyway?:confused:
what happened burning a log in a hotel pan?:biggrin:
lol

Hey.. when in Rome....

Im just of the camp that themostats, strokers and gurus should stay home..

But, I'll use it as long as its legal, but wont say boo if we are ever told we can not use them..(which will most likly never happen). Its a cooking machine(no pun intended). A great tool. cant beat it for catering, or long cooks at home, restaurants,etc. Consistant, no fuss... it has its place.

sorry dude, I cooked on my bandera the first 3 years competing and consistantly made top 5. :mrgreen:

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 03:15 PM
seems to me like there are a whole lot of "its not the cooker" people out there with thousands of dollars spent some big dollar cookers. If the cooker really meant that little than why is it everyone traded up?

I am not doubting anyone's cooking ability and I understand fire control just like the majority of you do, but the more variables that anything has, the less likely it is be done consistently. A well built finely tuned cooker no matter what fuel it uses (charcoal, wood or pellets) eliminates many of those variables. I don't care if its an FEC, a Spicewine, Backwoods, Geer, Klose, whatever a better cooker is going to cook better.

I understand that you can finish in the top 5 using anything but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

HoDeDo
09-30-2009, 04:33 PM
seems to me like there are a whole lot of "its not the cooker" people out there with thousands of dollars spent some big dollar cookers. If the cooker really meant that little than why is it everyone traded up?

I am not doubting anyone's cooking ability and I understand fire control just like the majority of you do, but the more variables that anything has, the less likely it is be done consistently. A well built finely tuned cooker no matter what fuel it uses (charcoal, wood or pellets) eliminates many of those variables. I don't care if its an FEC, a Spicewine, Backwoods, Geer, Klose, whatever a better cooker is going to cook better.

I understand that you can finish in the top 5 using anything but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

So Chris cooks on the Bandera and Charbroiler, and you'll be cookin on the FatGirl and her Stainless sister the pellet pimptress:twisted:

I just want to shig Chris on 4 or 5 different cookers. :twisted:

Jorge
09-30-2009, 04:44 PM
So Chris cooks on the Bandera and Charbroiler, and you'll be cookin on the FatGirl and her Stainless sister the pellet pimptress:twisted:

I'll wash dishes for somebody to see this:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:8-)

HoDeDo
09-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh and for the record, I love my FEC!! - I know I was joking around earlier saying I might try one this weekend, but I hate to leave home without it.

I have all kinds of cookers that are fun to play with / practice the "art" on as Zilla would say... but for a comp where I have my hard earned $$ in the mix, and usually a vacation day or two... I wouldnt give up the consistency and flavor profile that I get with my FEC. It is great for sleep, too.... but some of us tend to stay up and drink with our buds instead of sleep sometimes :)

HoDeDo
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
i'll wash dishes for somebody to see this:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:8-)

sold!

Buster Dog BBQ
09-30-2009, 05:27 PM

I traded up because

1) I was hauling two large and one xl bge around and that was just too much.
2) I wanted more cooking space in case I wanted to cook extra without having additional smokers
3) Already towing a trailer, the pellet cooker was the most feasible for me.

And now that I have one I want another because I like the consistency and I like how clean the pellets are. They leave little ash and you dont get charcoal all over yourself.

U2CANQUE
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Oh and for the record, I love my FEC!! -
and anyone elses for that matter.....lol, agree whole heartedly!

U2CANQUE
09-30-2009, 05:47 PM
but some of us tend to stay up and drink with our buds instead of sleep sometimes :) Say it ain't so Andy.....

Alexa RnQ
09-30-2009, 05:54 PM
*seething with FEC envy*

I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

U2CANQUE
09-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif you guys are the last ones who need it....but, would hate to see the damage that you inflict with it...

ique
09-30-2009, 06:06 PM
but I stand by my bet, I will put up the entry fee and bring you the cookers. Finish in the out of the top five you owe me the entry fee back. Whats the worst that can happen? We hang out, drink, cook and one way or another one is out an entry fee? Sounds like a weekend to me!

Sounds like a blast. Can you get that Bandera down to the Jack? :-P

Smokin' Joe
09-30-2009, 06:26 PM
I'll add our very own musicmanryann and Big T'z Q Cru as more evidence to the "its the cook" theory. In his first 10 comps he went GC, GC, RGC, GC at 4 of the most competitive contests in Iowa on 3-4 WSM'S.

He's either a pretty good cook or really lucky:shock::twisted:

Rub
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Certainly can't argue with FEs in the KCBS realm. The numbers don't lie. But in other areas of the country where we aren't saturated with KCBS contests, you've got to add Stump's to the mix as one of the dominate cookers in the top 10.
Got to get some props in for the Stumps!

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 07:22 PM

see its not such a crazy bet right? although I was going to "monitor the bet" and "heckle", I would never stoop to shigging :biggrin:

.... but some of us tend to stay up and drink with our buds instead of sleep sometimes :)

DING DING DING DING DING! winner winner damn dip dinner! much rather play with a campfire in an open pit and toss back a few cocktails. :rolleyes:

spider pig spider pig...........

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Can you get that Bandera down to the Jack?

I wish I could, that would be legend......wait for it.......dary!

Muzzlebrake
09-30-2009, 07:35 PM
And now that I have one I want another because I like the consistency and I like how clean the pellets are. They leave little ash and you dont get charcoal all over yourself.

thats what made me write the check, and where I think the FEC advantage is, especially if you are a small operation or do a large number of contests. Like most people I know I can lock in my Backwoods for a good 6-8 hours in whatever the conditions may be but afterwards its a mess. Between the charcoal dust, ash and greasy nasty water it just gets to be a pain.

dmprantz
09-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Sounds like a blast. Can you get that Bandera down to the Jack? :-P

I've know of two Banderas in town and am plannning to be in Lynchburg by about 10:00 AM on Friday. If some one is serious about competing in the Jack with one to prove "the cook" point....I'll load one up on the trailer. Lemme know!

dmp

Alexa RnQ
09-30-2009, 08:53 PM
you guys are the last ones who need it....but, would hate to see the damage that you inflict with it...

*snort* I hope to be inflicting a little more damage than the last time you saw us, anyway. And in cooler conditions. When are we going to run across you next?

CTSmokehouse
09-30-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah you are right.....

Chris,

Don't be tempted by the dark side...!!!

May the force be with you and your Jambo Pit!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

CTSmokehouse
09-30-2009, 09:58 PM

BTW...

Used a Bandera, a NB Black Diamond,a WSM and a Weber Kettle at Lime Rock,CT May 28,2007...2nd Chicken. 3rd Brisket, 4th Beef Ribs ...took 5th overall!!! in our second comp...
I left the Chargriller at home after our first comp...

So Sean...

I'll PM you my info... look forward to your check!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

C-Town Smoker
10-01-2009, 05:25 AM
I do think there is a fine line to be drawn between what someone does at home and what someone does at a competition. It is my understanding that how these folks cook at comps isn't how they would cook for their own home folks...so it would stand to reason that perhaps they have a stick burner or 3 at home they like to play with when its not involving a lot of $$ at stake. Using an FE or some pit temp control device is understandable (and not illegal) in order to help them mutli-task at their site. It's probably not fair to assume they have no skill in how to build and then manage a fire for a long duration of time. It's always a question I like to ask the folks I interview anyway...makes for some lively discussion.

afreemaniii
10-01-2009, 08:18 AM
Anyone wanting to see an FEC-100 close up, come by at the Royal.

I'll take you up on this offer. I'll get your spot number from the other post about the Royal.

Podge
10-01-2009, 08:54 AM
I totally disagree with the Pellet theory of winning contests.. It's the great cooks who are dominating the competition, not the cookers.. geez...

Plowboy
10-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I do think there is a fine line to be drawn between what someone does at home and what someone does at a competition. It is my understanding that how these folks cook at comps isn't how they would cook for their own home folks...so it would stand to reason that perhaps they have a stick burner or 3 at home they like to play with when its not involving a lot of $$ at stake. Using an FE or some pit temp control device is understandable (and not illegal) in order to help them mutli-task at their site. It's probably not fair to assume they have no skill in how to build and then manage a fire for a long duration of time. It's always a question I like to ask the folks I interview anyway...makes for some lively discussion.

Per usual, you have a keen eye. I have pellet grills at home for when I need to multitask children, catering, big meals, etc. I also have BGE's for when I want to play with fire. Randy and I cooked on stick burners as long or longer than we've been on pellets. Understanding wood, fire and smoke is NOT a problem.

U2CANQUE
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
When are we going to run across you next?
Da Jack.....I will be there with Butts and Breastts, the team that came out to Mesquite to cook with me......soooooooo looking forward to it!

Bentley
10-01-2009, 10:22 PM
Understanding wood, fire and smoke is NOT a problem.
Not for me either, I have been buring down stuff since I was 8...When does the winning start? :-D

NotleyQue
10-02-2009, 06:26 AM
*seething with FEC envy*

I'm going to ask Santa Claus for one. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Your gonna have to ask santa for a bigger trailer too.

AzQer
10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Your gonna have to ask santa for a bigger trailer too.

Alexa I cant wait to see you guys pull up with the lincoln with a 4x8 and unroll an FE priceless.

Alexa RnQ
10-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Wouldn't it be, though? All it would take would be a little reconfiguration of the pack.
I've actually been on the lookout for a vehicle more suited to towing, but that would take away some of the quirk factor!

Sledneck
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I hear that the guy who won the American Royal this past weekend used a pellet cooker:wink::biggrin:

HoDeDo
10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
I hear that the guy who won the American Royal this past weekend used a pellet cooker:wink::biggrin:

Both the invitational and open winners used pellet cookers. So did a bunch of us losers :)

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Both the invitational and open winners used pellet cookers. So did a bunch of us losers :)

Don't worry, Andy. Its the cook, not the cooker. :mrgreen:

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Wouldn't it be, though? All it would take would be a little reconfiguration of the pack.
I've actually been on the lookout for a vehicle more suited to towing, but that would take away some of the quirk factor!

I hear you may be getting an FEC dealer in your area. :wink:

HoDeDo
10-05-2009, 09:32 PM

That was my point! :-P Proof the cook not the cooker.... :rolleyes:

YankeeBBQ
10-05-2009, 09:38 PM

I thought it was the damn judges

BigBellyBBQ
10-05-2009, 09:38 PM
I just use mine to set the sauce on my pork slices.
Set the sauce on slices? I am sure the butt is still all together, as per the rules......

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Set the sauce on slices? I am sure the butt is still all together, as per the rules......

That was a joke. I don't set sauce on anything but my chicken.

Plowboy
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I thought it was the damn judges

No, they love pellets.

KC_Bobby
10-05-2009, 10:01 PM

Just for the record, Boondoggle also used a Backwoods fueled by Kingsford Competition Briquettes on pork, ribs and part of the brisket cook.*

*this post sponsored by Kingsford Competition Briquettes

thenewguy
10-06-2009, 05:25 PM
BAAAAAA HAAAAAAA!!!!!!! You're catching on to that corporate sponsorship quick!

Smokin Mike
10-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Just for the record, Boondoggle also used a Backwoods fueled by Kingsford Competition Briquettes on pork, ribs and part of the brisket cook.*

*this post sponsored by Kingsford Competition Briquettes
Really?
EDIT never mind I wish i can just delete that post, sorry, I have no reason to question anything at all, just been drinking to much tonite (do not post drunk at all!)

Captain Caveman
10-06-2009, 08:53 PM

I also hear that the 180 pork was cooked on Kingsford briquettes :biggrin:.
I can't use those darn pellets they keep falling through my charcoal grate.
poke, poke.

ZILLA
10-06-2009, 09:16 PM
I also hear that the 180 pork was cooked on Kingsford briquettes :biggrin:.
I can't use those darn pellets they keep falling through my charcoal grate.
poke, poke.

You're supposed to use the Texas Crutch with pellets so that don't happen. :rolleyes: