PDA

View Full Version : Dover

YankeeBBQ
09-29-2009, 03:42 PM
On the KCBS website it lists $5000 as the Dover prize money. The Dover website says $15000. Does anyone know which number is correct ?

Scottie
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
when is it? Will they be NEBS judges? lol

I thought Dan was telling me it was good money? So my guess is $15k? Or he was just trying to get me out there as more field filler...

YankeeBBQ
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
It's the weekend before the Jack

Scottie
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
sorry for you guys, I have a contest here in the midwest. So I won't be able to be field filler for you boys. But the year I don't make the Jack, I'll be there!!!

BogsBBQ
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
"$15,000.00 in prize money will be awarded! Amount may vary based on attendance."

U2CANQUE
09-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a contest here in the midwest. Lambs Farm? I want to eventually come do that one....but, now that Ohio has a good one going that weekend too....ugh.....

Scottie
09-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I only have to drive 45 minutes to get my butt kicked... SO it would be hard to pass one up that close. But eventually, I have to get to Delaware!!!

ique
09-29-2009, 09:11 PM
On the KCBS website it lists $5000 as the Dover prize money. The Dover website says $15000. Does anyone know which number is correct ?

50+ teams. A win here would be huge for your TOY run... you're not going to let 10 grand get in the way of that are you?

Mike - CSBBBQ
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM

It is a good contest. Great cook sites, water, sewer, 20, 30, or 50 amp service. Called and checked a few month or so ago and was told 5K for under 50, 10K for under 75, and 15K for over 75. Have to wait and see how many teams make it but 80 plus is not unusal... As Chris said they were up to 50.

Only complaint is the judging area. It has been in a shelter with no sides and it has been windy and cold the last few years. Rumor is they are finally going to do something this year. It stinks to put in the effort and see the judges sitting a cold area and know your food is getting colder and colder...Historically speaking the wind can be crazy. A couple of years back a 40 yard dumpster was full of broken pop-up and porable garage frames.

However, it is an automatic and we will be there hoping lightening strikes :lol: Hope you decide to come on down:-P

ique
09-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Only complaint is the judging area. It has been in a shelter with no sides and it has been windy and cold the last few years.

Yeah and the Tornadoes that roll through the area from time to time.

Cooking on the infield of a Nascar track is fun. Scottie, if you still need a DE contest get it on your schedule for next year.

HoDeDo
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Wish I had a few days of vacation left....

Muzzlebrake.... we want to venture to dover??:twisted:

Mike - CSBBBQ
09-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah and the Tornadoes that roll through the area from time to time.

Cooking on the infield of a Nascar track is fun. Scottie, if you still need a DE contest get it on your schedule for next year.

It was crazy...lifted 6 guys smallest 170lb trying to hold a portable garage that was ratched down to water filled 5 gal buckets! Feelt ral sorry for those inside particpating on the machines when they came out and went WTF!

Mike - CSBBBQ
09-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Wish I had a few days of vacation left....

Muzzlebrake.... we want to venture to dover??:twisted:

Make a plan for next year, it is worth the trip. I promise to have several tasty beverages:wink:

Big George's BBQ
09-30-2009, 08:18 PM
Dover is a great event. Wind can be brutal. Tornado destroyed my site one year. Josh and I tried to hold our shelters and wind moved us around- we are not petite. We almost bagged it but Bob from BBQ Guru came over and helped to get us restarted. The spaces are huge. No problems with the free ice. The last 2 years have brought 80 plus teams. We are not doing it this year. Expecting a grand child son and need to get ready to move

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Scottie- You have it all wrong. I just need more beefs. You can just drive those down and head back if you like :-P

Scottie
10-01-2009, 11:24 AM
Hope you are enjoying them Dan.

stlgreg
10-01-2009, 03:17 PM
The TLC show BBQ Pitmasters will be there.
Our own Brethren Notley Que will be cooking there.
He has been helping out Harry from Slap Your Daddy and he is going to go up against him in this one.

Pig Headed
10-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Dover is a great venue. Just bring plenty of tie downs for canopies. We lost 2 of them 2 years ago. They're up to 67 as of today. They expect at least 80.

gb7488
10-01-2009, 08:30 PM
KCBS only lists the prize money for the KCBS portion of the competition. Balance of the prize money is probably for other contests within the BBQ

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Hey Ron-

You got a team list?

Pig Headed
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
No. She said she was going to try to send out the site map tomorrow or Monday. Maybe the team list will be with it. The prize money depends on the number of teams. I had the payout sheet but I figured they would get the 80 teams and threw it out.

Pig Headed
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Received a competitor package yesterday. They did indeed move the judges site. It now looks to be next to where the ice bins were last year.

LazyRiverBarbecue
10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
We received our confirmation today - we're on site 52. The judges tent looks very far away.... :confused:. Pray for no rain and minimal wind.

HawgHeaven
10-08-2009, 05:34 PM
We got our confirmation today... site 49. We're really looking forward to this, and we hope to meet all of you!

Good luck Brethren and Sistren!!

widespread
10-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Got our packet today, we're in site 100. MABA shot is here at 9:45 Sat morning.

NotleyQue
10-08-2009, 07:47 PM
The TLC show BBQ Pitmasters will be there.
Our own Brethren Notley Que will be cooking there.
He has been helping out Harry from Slap Your Daddy and he is going to go up against him in this one.

Thanks to this amazing BBQ forum, and the incredible people that post here, I was able to borrow enough equipment to cook this event. I cant say enough good things about the people in this crazy world of competition BBQ. We truly are 1 big dysfunctional family that would all give the shirts off our backs to help a fellow brother/sister out.

I am so looking forward to cooking this.

Black Cat BBQ
10-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Got our packet today, we're in site 100. MABA shot is here at 9:45 Sat morning.

Yea! WE are in 91, close enough to stumble by for the shot in the a.m. We'll try and drag NQ and SYDQ down as well. Jon are all the spots 20x40?

Were is the rain makers spot???

Cant wait to see you all again!!

widespread
10-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Yea! WE are in 91, close enough to stumble by for the shot in the a.m. We'll try and drag NQ and SYDQ down as well. Jon are all the spots 20x40?

Were is the rain makers spot???

Cant wait to see you all again!!

All are 20x40, except for 120 & 121. Those 2 are bigger. I had 120 2 years ago, was like having my own country.

I have a present for Jack also.

YankeeBBQ
10-09-2009, 11:04 AM
KCBS only lists the prize money for the KCBS portion of the competition. Balance of the prize money is probably for other contests within the BBQ

There are no other contests within the bbq besides a desert contest but you have to pay an extra $25 to enter that.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
10-15-2009, 10:32 PM
be safe every one!!!...may the winds of Dover miss you all!!

Big George's BBQ
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Best of luck everyone

LMAJ
10-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Good luck guys - it is cold and wet tonight. Stay warm!!!!!

Capt ron
10-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Best of luck and stay warm everyone!!!:-P Weather report not good... :icon_frow

WannaBeBBQueen
10-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Hang in there the rain is gone and all we have left is the windy weather....surprise surpise, hang on to your ez-ups...and good luck!

bam
10-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Best of luck to all. Sitting home with a fever had planed on attending.

Sledneck
10-17-2009, 05:44 PM
OC pig assassins GC!!!!!!!!
3eyz RGC

Jorge
10-17-2009, 05:47 PM
OC pig assassins GC!!!!!!!!
3eyz RGC

Congrats to all that heard their name called.

Is that two in a row?

bam
10-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Congrats to OC Assassins GC and 3EYZ RC way to show the big boyz!!!

Plowboy
10-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice job everyone!

Coz
10-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Great job!

watg?
10-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Congrats to OCPA and to 3 Eyz and to all that were called!

MilitantSquatter
10-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Congrats Matt and 3Eyz...

Matt - As of now, that's still an auto for next years Jack right ???

Nice job !!

Jacked UP BBQ
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks....Congrats to everyone. That was one tough farking field. This was quite a shock, we must have hit some easy judges! Still cannot cook chicken! I am not sure about the Jack, someone will probably chime in.

oceanpigassassins
10-17-2009, 10:12 PM
What a great weekend. Always a good time in dover even better when you win. Congrats to all who where there.

BrisketBelly
10-17-2009, 11:51 PM
This is my first post here, so hello everyone. I learned of this site from another BBQ site I frequent. I judged this event today. It was my 4th as a CBJ. I did not stay for the awards, we were pretty cold after sitting in that tent for 4 hours. I can only imagine how some of the teams felt if they were there with just a tent. Congrats to OCPA and the other teams that walked.

Although this was only my 4th event, I wanted to provide one judge's insight and hope no one is offended. First off, the submissions I judged, as a whole, were probably the worst group yet. I am going to blame this on the weather since nearly every entry we received was already cold by the time we got to it. I am also guessing that a few of the entries were from teams new to competition. It was my first event where the brisket submissions were the best of the day. I think most judges, including me, would say that brisket is usually the worst of the group. Don't get me wrong, there were a few really nice ones and even a 9-9-9 pork submission. I wish I knew what team turned that in so I could get some pointers from them. Fantastic!

CBJ's were short in the tent. Earlier in the week, we received an email from the organizers that they needed 20 more. I rounded up three non-CBJ and brought them with me. I did, however, teach them how to judge and felt confident that they would do well for a 30 minute overview. I noticed a non-CBJ at my table and noticed that he was giving 9's for appearance for every entry. The organizers did their best to equally distribute the non-CBJ's around to each table. We noticed a table with 5 out of 6 non CBJ and told the organizer. Since it was late, they only moved one so there was a table with 4 non CBJ while all others only had 1, maybe 2, as far as I could tell. Three female judges, for reasons unknown to us, walked out of the tent as the table captains were gathering. Two tables were shorted as a result and organizers had to scramble to get six at each table.

I saw a few DQ's nearby, none at my table. One was for only having 5 ribs in the box. Actually, there were 10 ribs but they were cut as two per . I saw a team submitted brisket during the pork judging and they were DQ'ed. Now the funny one - a table received a box which contained some sort of nicely decorated sandwiches and corn on the cob. I could only see the corn in the box from where I sat. However, a friend at that table told me the box contained a note that read something like "our brisket chef took his ball and bat and went home. Since we don't have a brisket to submit, we wanted you to at least enjoy this". When I read how many folks on this forum were at the event, I wondered if it is their team.

It is a shame that the weather was so awful. The Dover event has a lot to offer in addition to the competition and I was looking forward to it for a while. Hopefully the weather will be better next year.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Where else have you judged? the reason the food was so cold was because the line to get to turn ins averaged five plus minutes. what are your thoughts of what good food should be, (being serious). There were a lot of great teams there I am surprised the food sucked so bad, but I hear that a lot from judges as they walk away with s cooler full of it!

BrisketBelly
10-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I have judged Dover twice, Salisbury and DC. I saw the lines were long and they made you guys stand out in the rain. I also saw some teams showing up without a cover for their box. I thought there was enough room in the back of the tent to allow teams to stand in line there, but I suppose that would bend the rules a bit by allowing teams into it.

I'm not sure how to exactly answer your question as to what good food should be. I can tell you that I understand how to judge the event based on the criteria set by KCBS. If I were to give a few examples of bad things for each category of what I saw today, perhaps it would give insight as to what I mean. A chicken submission that had all different pieces, arranged in no particular order. A completely untrimmed rib and without membrane removed. It was nearly impossible to fit it on the placemat since it was so long. It was also just randomly thrown in the box without garnish. A pulled pork submission that was not only cold, but felt like like they had it in the fridge before turning it in. It also tasted like it was dunked in some sort of salad dressing. A brisket that was sliced, no exaggeration, about 1.25 inch thick.

Again, I also had some great submissions but I felt what I received overall was not the same standard as my previous experiences. I cannot say for sure why. Maybe I just drew some poor entries. Maybe the weather wreaked havoc on teams. Perhaps the cold food was just not as great as it is when it is still hot. I don't know for sure.

moses13
10-18-2009, 07:24 AM
Now the funny one - a table received a box which contained some sort of nicely decorated sandwiches and corn on the cob. I could only see the corn in the box from where I sat. However, a friend at that table told me the box contained a note that read something like "our brisket chef took his ball and bat and went home. Since we don't have a brisket to submit, we wanted you to at least enjoy this".

I think that was the team behind us. As I walked up our pork category, I saw a brisket point laying on the ground next to their camp. The also had one of our guys try some corn on the cob they had made. Too funny.

ique
10-18-2009, 08:23 AM
There were a lot of great teams there

Great job Matt! Huge win for your team, congrats.

Lakeside Smoker
10-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm not sure how to exactly answer your question as to what good food should be. I can tell you that I understand how to judge the event based on the criteria set by KCBS....

... It was nearly impossible to fit it on the placemat since it was so long. It was also just randomly thrown in the box without garnish...

I think you might need to read the KCBS judging rules again...

C-Town Smoker
10-18-2009, 09:11 AM
BrisketBelly...What does garnish have to do with anything? That SHOULD NOT play a role in how you score the box.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
10-18-2009, 10:37 AM
OC - huge win. Congrats! Your score on pork looked like it made the difference. Even if you can't cook chicken, lol!

Those trophies are ridiculous!!

watg?
10-18-2009, 10:45 AM
That brisket box story is a riot, I am still laughing and would have loved to have seen it!!!

Pig Headed
10-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Congrats to OCPA, 3 Eyz and all who walked. We stunk the joint out. By far our worst comp. BTW, the weather had nothing to do with our poor showing, the cook went very smoothly. ???? The brisket entry was definitly the team behind us. I won't mention names.

BrisketBelly
10-18-2009, 11:24 AM
Lakeside Smoker and C-Town Smoker - I am well aware of how to score and garnish is not required. However, imagine dropping 6 untrimmed ribs into a plain box. Carry those boxes to the judges tent and pass the boxes through a few hands, eventually to the judges table. How do you think they looked when they got there? Would you expect them to be in place or jostled around a bit? I think one of the advantages of using garnish is to hold your display in place. Unless your ribs are somehow packed inside of the box and unable to move, the garnish plays a large part in appearance. But, if you feel it does not, good luck with your future contests when/if you choose not to use them.

The Giggler
10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Lakeside Smoker and C-Town Smoker - I am well aware of how to score and garnish is not required. However, imagine dropping 6 untrimmed ribs into a plain box. Carry those boxes to the judges tent and pass the boxes through a few hands, eventually to the judges table. How do you think they looked when they got there? Would you expect them to be in place or jostled around a bit? I think one of the advantages of using garnish is to hold your display in place. Unless your ribs are somehow packed inside of the box and unable to move, the garnish plays a large part in appearance. But, if you feel it does not, good luck with your future contests when/if you choose not to use them.

Friendly advice: You acknowledge that you are a new judge, with 4 comps under your belt. You need to be aware that you are posting comments from a Judge's Perspective, and by doing so you are opening yourself to dissent among the cooks. Be prepared to defend your position, as teams are KEENLY aware of the rules that govern.

Lakeside and C-Town are right - you need to judge the box as presented, on its own merit. The use of legal greens is OPTIONAL. Regardless of your thoughts on garnish, and the merits, you are inviting serious criticism by allowing your opinion and/or preference to influence the appearance score. By doing so, you are not fairly evaluating the meat entry, and therefore a disservice to a cook. What did the MEAT look like?

Also, as a new member here, be careful of the snarky comments made towards others. There are some damn good cooks here, and also damn good judges. Be respectful, and you will be treated with respect.

BrisketBelly
10-18-2009, 12:37 PM
I am not trying to make "snarky" comments and I have no intentions of upsetting anyone. I was giving my observations as a judge and if anything, I was the one on the receiving end of the comments - ie. being told to go back and read the rules again. While I am fairly new to judging, I think most teams understand that there are judges of all experience levels inside of those tents. I've tried to give a description of the appearance of the meat and what it looked like inside of the box. If the cooks here feel that turning in untrimmed ribs, with membrane attached, tossed around a box, some of which were sideways, etc., then I am not sure what type of score should be expected. Again, I understand what is to be judged inside of the box. But I also think there is a reason teams go to great lengths when putting garnishes inside of their box.

NotleyQue
10-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Finally rested. What a great comp. I would like to thank jenny from Black Cat BBQ and Widespread BBQ for lending me everything I needed to cook this contest. It was great seeing fellow brethern. Congrats to the OC Pig Assassins, and to 3 Eyes on GC and RGC.

One thing that struck me as odd. Why the heck were there lines for turn ins. At the Royal there was 500 teams and zero lines. We had to wait 5 minutes in 45 degree weather in poaring down rain to turn in our meat. You could tell by the scores that there were lots of non cbjs at this one.

Overall a great contest, i hope to be able to come back next year or the years to come. Thanks everyone for being so hospitable and helpful to this cali boy.

Big George's BBQ
10-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Congrats OC and 3EYZ. Congrats to all that walked

SmokeInDaEye
10-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Awesome job OC and 3Eyez! Sounds like a wet mess but well worth it!

Plowboy
10-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks....Congrats to everyone. That was one tough farking field. This was quite a shock, we must have hit some easy judges! Still cannot cook chicken! I am not sure about the Jack, someone will probably chime in.
Were you using your FEC 750, Spicebox, or both?

Very nice win!

Pig Headed
10-18-2009, 02:51 PM
Finally rested. What a great comp. I would like to thank jenny from Black Cat BBQ and Widespread BBQ for lending me everything I needed to cook this contest. It was great seeing fellow brethern. Congrats to the OC Pig Assassins, and to 3 Eyes on GC and RGC.

One thing that struck me as odd. Why the heck were there lines for turn ins. At the Royal there was 500 teams and zero lines. We had to wait 5 minutes in 45 degree weather in poaring down rain to turn in our meat. You could tell by the scores that there were lots of non cbjs at this one.

Overall a great contest, i hope to be able to come back next year or the years to come. Thanks everyone for being so hospitable and helpful to this cali boy.

Gary, nice meeting you and Harry at Dover. Hope you enjoyed your experience there. Sorry if we rushed you a little at the end to get the table back, but that's the first items to be packed back into the trailer. If you're ever in the area again, let us know if you need anything else.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-18-2009, 03:35 PM
cooked on the spicewine and did the chicken on the backwoods.

tmcmaster
10-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Been dealing with 2 sick kids, so this is the first time I have had to congradulate...

So congrats!!!

LazyRiverBarbecue
10-19-2009, 10:10 AM
Hey everyone - we all survived another wicked one at Dover!!!! Props to all of us just for making it in to the judges tent without sliding and falling in the mud pit that was the doorway...lol. I feel accomplishment just for that. What about you? Although I really thought I was a goner when my foot got suctioned in to the mud as I was handing over my box....lmao. It actually made that suction cup noise too.

Congrats to those who got calls. It would have been nice to get around to see everyone, but mother nature wouldn't have it this year.

----donna

HawgHeaven
10-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Congrats OC and 3 EYZ, and to all who heard their names!

This was by far my worst comp ever... my partner backed out at the last minute so I did it solo. I blew a tire on my trailer on the way to Dover, discovered my jack was missing, so I had to call the wife to bring me one. That got me there much later than I wanted. And the weather...

goodsmokebbq
10-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Way to go OC!!!!

widespread
10-21-2009, 06:39 AM
If I were to give a few examples of bad things for each category of what I saw today, perhaps it would give insight as to what I mean. A chicken submission that had all different pieces, arranged in no particular order.

Like this? This was the second place chicken at Dover.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-21-2009, 08:40 AM
Who's chicken is that?

BrisketBelly
10-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Like this? This was the second place chicken at Dover.

I did not judge the chicken in the photo you provided. The box I am speaking of had a few thighs, drumsticks and a pulled section of breast meat with skin laying on top of it.

widespread
10-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Who's chicken is that?

Check your score sheet. I'm not blaming the team, it was their first comp. They hit the holy grail of judging, the perfect table. Congrats to them, sucks to be the rest of us.

LindaM
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=NotleyQue;1059545]

/[QUOTE]

One quick note. The reason for the long lines was each cook was taking their box out of the protective covering at the turnin table. That took time. Once the entries were in they were at the tables within seconds. There were never more than 6 entries waiting to go to a table.

On the CBJ note, we had only 9 non certified judges at 14 tables. That is not bad odds.

BBQchef33
10-21-2009, 09:39 PM
I am not trying to make "snarky" comments and I have no intentions of upsetting anyone. I was giving my observations as a judge and if anything, I was the one on the receiving end of the comments - ie. being told to go back and read the rules again. While I am fairly new to judging, I think most teams understand that there are judges of all experience levels inside of those tents. I've tried to give a description of the appearance of the meat and what it looked like inside of the box. If the cooks here feel that turning in untrimmed ribs, with membrane attached, tossed around a box, some of which were sideways, etc., then I am not sure what type of score should be expected. Again, I understand what is to be judged inside of the box. But I also think there is a reason teams go to great lengths when putting garnishes inside of their box.

i kinda understand what brisket belly is saying.

Regardless of garnish, appearance scores is based on the question, "does the meat look appetizing?" .. does it make you WANT TO jump in the box and devour it.. I can understand if a pile of ribs tossed into the box haphazardly, untrimmed, messy, etc, does NOT look appetizing.

Its just as bad as non uniform pieces, bad or uneven cuts/slicing, etc..and we(at least I) have gotten pinged at one time for goofy stuff like an unevenly sliced brisket, or frayed rib.

If we take those same ribs that are tossed in the box, and we trim them, organize them, glaze them cleanly and present them9without garnish) i would think they would be more appetizing and increase appearance scores.

In most cases, you can somewhat tell if a box was jostled getting to the table and a rib is out of place, or if the cook was just careless and threw stuff in the box.

Now.. I'll duck and cover..

and BTW..congrats to everyone that weathered the weather and took the walks.

Jacked UP BBQ
10-21-2009, 10:03 PM
On the CBJ note, we had only 9 non certified judges at 14 tables. That is not bad odds.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Linda, I feel better about my win!:razz::lol:

butt head
10-22-2009, 07:07 PM
On the CBJ note, we had only 9 non certified judges at 14 tables. That is not bad odds.

Thanks Linda, I feel better about my win!:razz::lol:[/QUOTE]
Don't matter who judged you won! plan and simple. Congrats.