PDA

View Full Version : New To Contest Idea

cjk1977
09-28-2009, 02:18 PM
I have been smoking for a few years now and really want to enter an amatuer/backyard contest. I was hoping there might be some literature out there to read that will take me throguh the process as well as tips from all the competition vets here. I really have no idea what a contest is like from a competitors point of view or what to expect.

Stoke&Smoke
09-28-2009, 02:35 PM
This would be a good place to start, I think
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

CivilWarBBQ
09-28-2009, 02:58 PM
Go to some contests with a cooler full of cold beer on Friday. Meet, greet and ask questions. You'll learn a ton and make new friends!

juicybuttsbbq
09-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I have been smoking for a few years now and really want to enter an amatuer/backyard contest. I was hoping there might be some literature out there to read that will take me throguh the process as well as tips from all the competition vets here. I really have no idea what a contest is like from a competitors point of view or what to expect.

Come On Down to the Hoosier Daddy We have three Amatuer Spots left.
Our Backyard will be cooking the KCBS 4 meat catagory, Turn In Times are scheduled 1/2 hr part, scored by KCBS Judges using the KCBS Scoring System
the only difference is smaller spaces, no electric, shared water source.

Our last Contest like this generated 4 new Pro Teams that are competing in Hoosier Daddy Pros This Time.
Heck You Already have three important elements: JUICE,FIRE AND BURNING DESIRE!!

~Porkchop

cjk1977
09-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Thanks. That link to the thread with all the info is just what I was looking for. I should have been a little more proactive in looking myself!! Once I get thorugh all of that I should have a real good idea what is needed and what people do. Thanks again and now off to do some reading an d note taking!!

lunchlady
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi! There are a couple of really awesome events near you in the late winter/early spring that you could check out or cook. The dates for these haven't been set yet, although they are usually held February/March, but more info will be coming soon on the NEBS website. We'd love to see you out there!

Snowshoe Grilling Challenge - Abington, MA
Grillin' On The Bay - Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, NY

p.s. if you want to see how a competition looks through the eyes of a competitor... you could mentor with a team... ... or you can show up, like someone else said, and start chatting... or you can ... JUMP IN! :biggrin:

PM me if you'd like any more info on either of these events or the Mentoring Program.
I'm always happy to chat about BBQ.

Scottie
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I was going to suggest going to mentor with the Turtles... He is from CT as well... They are always looking for new folks...