PDA

View Full Version : Thorn apple?

parrothead
10-05-2003, 08:27 PM
I have a neighbor that is moving into a new house. He says he has a row of thorn apple trees that he wants me to take down. Has anyone heard of this? I do not see it in the wood file. Any educated geusses as to whether or not it smokes good?

BBQchef33
10-05-2003, 09:59 PM
If the one your talking about has and prickly fruits, which turn to seed with spiney thorns on it, and has trumpet shaped flowers, then its really called "The Datura." ITS POISONIOUS!!!! ALL PARTS OF IT. !!!! The leaves and seeds produce chemicals with narcotic properties, i think it was used as a painkiller long ago. They used to use it in black magic and witchcraft. I dont think I'd use it to cook with. But I'll try to confirm this.

BBQchef33
10-05-2003, 10:04 PM
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_thornapple.htm

Thorn Apple
Datura stramonium
Thornapple
Apple-of-Peru
Devil's-apple
Jamestown Weed
Jimsonweed
Mad Apple
Stinkweed
Parts used
Uses
Habitat and cultivation
Constituents

Thorn apple - an annual herb, growing up to 4 feet tall, with a foul odor. Unevenly toothed oval leaves are about 8 inches long. Showy, white, trumpet-shaped flowers (July-October) produce a spiny globular capsule that contains dark brown to black, kidney-shaped, flattened seeds.

Although it has antispasmodic, painkilling, and narcotic properties, thorn apple is a plant to be avoided. Every part of this weed, which is a member of the notorious nightshade family, is extremely poisonous and may cause death.

Thorn apple was once a popular asthma remedy. Asthma sufferers inhaled the smoke of the burning plant leaves or smoked the dried leaves for relief. Because of its dangerous side effects, thorn apple has been outlawed as an over-the-counter remedy, and it is rarely used in prescription medicines. The root and leaves were of thorn apple used externally in folk medicine to treat boils and cuts. The American physician and botanist Charles Millspaugh stated in his Medicinal Plants (1892) that thorn apple was employed ''as a narcotic, soothing drug" for epilepsy and neuralgia. He also noted that thorn apple was recommended as an ointment in burns and scalds.

PARTS USED
Leaves, flowering tops, seeds.

USES
At low doses, thorn apple is a common remedy for asthma, whooping cough, muscle spasm, and the symptoms of Parkinsonism. Thorn apple relaxes the muscles of the gastrointestinal, bronchial, and urinary tracts, and reduces digestive and mucous secretions. Like deadly nightshade, thorn apple may be applied externally to relieve rheumatic pains and neuralgia.

HABITAT AND CULTIVATION
Thorn apple grows in the Americas, Europe, Asia, and North Africa. Thorn apple is cultivated for medicinal use in Hungary, France, and Germany. The leaves and flowering tops are harvested in summer, and the seeds in early autumn when the capsules burst.

CONSTITUENTS
Thorn apple contains 0.2-0.45% tropane alkaloids (especially hyoscyamine and hyoscine), flavonoids, withanolides, coumarins, and tannins. The tropane alkaloids are similar to those found in deadly nightshade, acting to reduce secretions and relax smooth muscle.

parrothead
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the info Phil. He must be just calling it by the wrong name. He said it is some type of tree. With little odd looking fruit. I will have to head over with my Books and take a look to see what it really is then.

Bill-Chicago
10-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Or you can send it to Phils wife.

She likes witchcraft, and can use it to make some special brew in her cauldron.

parrothead
10-06-2003, 07:51 AM
I think it may be a hawthorn based on this link I got from Rocky

http://www.shee-eire.com/Herbs,Trees&Fungi/Trees/Hawthorn/Factsheet1.htm

Mark
10-06-2003, 04:20 PM
This guy is definately calling it by the wrong name. Thorn apple (aka Jimson Weed) is also considered to be an hallucinogen. Part of the belladonna alkaloid family, the plant contains several chemicals, including atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopolamine. I've heard of cases where kids try to suck the nectar out of the flower and end up on an unexpected, nasty trip.

Mark (STL)