PDA

View Full Version : "In-House" Prep?

tmcmaster
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Does anyone do any kind of in house prep work? Like baking/deserts/etc prior to going to a catering job?

txschutte
09-08-2009, 10:15 PM
No, No, and NO.

If I were found to have prepared ANYTHING in my home, which IS NOT an HD certified foodservice kitchen, I would lose my license, insurance, incur fines.....

Why would I risk that for a bit of convenience, especially when I want to be a professional? Pro's don't cook catering gigs and vending items in their home kitchen.

Chuckwagonbbqco
09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
We do "In-House" prep at our inspected and permitted kitchen. We DO NOT do "In House" prep at home.

Sometimes we bake "on site" in cast iron dutch ovens.

Bbq Bubba
09-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Hey Tim, good to see you here!
Technically that would be a no-no.
Prep is only allowed in a certified kitchen or on-site of the permitted job. :cool:

tmcmaster
09-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks gang... I only ask because I have a potential job in February where the customers 'wants' far exceeds the limitations of the provided facility (fire hall kitchen)...

JD McGee
09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Good question...along the same subject...I'm now looking in to certified kitchens for food prep. My town (City of Duvall) has one that I can use for $20.00 per hour...is this a fair price?

Garth57
09-14-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm looking at churches. Not sure how you (legally) get around cooking brisket at a "certified kitchen" when they usually don't have smokers in there. I guess it's all good until............