PDA

View Full Version : 2 guys with a mini van and two weber bullets make KCBS history

SirPorkaLot
09-07-2009, 08:35 AM
I hadn't seen this posted. If it has been - my apologies.
It does give us backyard'ers hope though.

http://www.barbecuenews.com/news/article_22.asp

Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ Team makes KCBS history

By Kathleen McIntosh
Smokin’ Times Editor
[email protected]
http://www.barbecuenews.com/news/graphics/MarkHarrySlapYoDaddy.jpg Photo by Pat Brandon
Mark Tung & Harry Soo of Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ with their 1st place ribs, 1st place chicken, 1st place pork, 1st place brisket, and Grand Champion trophies at the Stockton, CA Way Out West BBQ Championships.

It’s only been done once in KCBS history, but it’s never been done at a KCBS sanctioned State Championship.
That’s right. It’s a clean sweep of the four KCBS contest categories.

Harry Soo and Mark Tung of Slap Yo’ Daddy BBQ made KCBS history and California BBQ Association (CBBQA) history on the 4th of July weekend in Stockton, CA, at the Way Out West BBQ State Championship.

They won all four KCBS categories and scored over 49 points more than the Reserve Grand Champion team. Not a small feat by any means.

Mind you, they did this in what Harry Soo describes as a “rare winning streak,” of the four past contests with three consecutive California State Grand Championships and a Reserve Grand Championship amid 162 teams at the Great American BBQ in Kansas City.

These boys are hot! They are on fire! They are also very smart when it comes to BBQ. Harry and Mark had gone back to compete at the Great American BBQ on the invitational and open sides. Their first day, the fellas didn’t do so well against their Southern competition. Tastes were obviously a little bit different than in Southern California. You’ve heard Dorothy say, “We’re not in Kansas anymore.” Well Slap Yo’ Daddy was saying, “We’re not in California anymore.”

But that didn’t slow them down. They got their smokers going. By the way, this team uses just two Weber water smokers, i.e. bullets, and travels in a mini-van. They cooked up samples for their competitor neighbors and the passers-by. As people tasted, Harry and Mark took notes and gathered information about people’s likes and dislikes in this area of the country. Then they went back and re-formulated their recipes overnight to fit the local tasting profile. Those of you who have been around BBQ for awhile and have attended any of the high priced star studded BBQ classes will know that this breaks the major rule of “Never change your standard operating procedure or recipe during a competition.”

smokincracker
09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
I just called and rented a mini-van for the Royal:)
Way cool reading

BBQ Grail
09-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Harry and Mark are not only awesome cooks, they are good people too!

ThomEmery
09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Harry and Mark are two of the most humble helpful guys you will ever meet
If you see them at the Royal be sure to say hello

musicmanryann
09-07-2009, 09:07 PM
They're going to the Royal?! WSM teams unite! :-) I can't wait for the honor!

All they need to do to add to their greatness is join the Brethren ;-)

yelonutz
09-07-2009, 11:39 PM
You can read alot more about them at www.slapyodaddybbq.com. I believe they are now ranked 11th in the nation (KCBS).

NUTZ

NotleyQue
09-08-2009, 12:44 AM
You can read alot more about them at www.slapyodaddybbq.com (http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com). I believe they are now ranked 11th in the nation (KCBS).

NUTZ

Nutz is correct. Harry and Marc are two amazing BBQers.

Diva Q
09-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Just awesome.

harsoo
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Mark and I are going cross country to compete the next several weeks and hope to meet many of you. I apologize for not posting often enough on this great forum but will start doing so. We're just a couple of backyard guys with Dilbertesque day jobs who love to smoke meats low and slow. We've had a fairy tale journey especially the last three months on the California as well as the national BBQ stage. I want to encourage all the backyarders out there with modest equipment that you too can compete in the big contests and do well!

musicmanryann
09-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Good to see you on here Harry! I look forward to meeting you and Mark at the Royal!

Tweedle
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Holy Chit thats awsome.

Brian in So Cal
09-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Great to see you on this site Harry!!

tmcmaster
09-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Unreal!

My hat is totally off to them!

Sledneck
09-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Team after my own heart. I compete with a couple of WSM's and a cargo van, I havent had the success you guys have had but hope to one day

Ceedubya
09-08-2009, 10:54 PM
I got to see them in action (well collecting their awards anyway) this weekend in Mesquite. Inspiring!

HawgHeaven
09-09-2009, 10:26 AM
That is absolutely awesome!! I'd love to meet those guys!

Lake Dogs
09-09-2009, 10:34 AM
It just goes to show you, it ain't about the equipment. It's about controlling temperatures and smoke, and frankly knowing what you're doing. Obviously
they do. Congrats to them!!!

Last cookoff I entered was with 2 Weber Silver 22's and an old Brinkmann Stillwater.
RGC and only 1 point from GC. I, by a LONG shot, had the smallest set-up.

Since then I've added my Lang 60. I think they'll bury me in this baby. More than
anything else, it only adds capacity to my cooking.

NotleyQue
09-09-2009, 09:03 PM
That is absolutely awesome!! I'd love to meet those guys!

They will be at the Dover Deleware Contest in October.

blues_n_cues
09-09-2009, 10:50 PM
kickazz. will we see ya @ the jack?