PDA

View Full Version : HOW old is that contest meat??????

Jeff_in_KC
09-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Yesterday after a trip with Randy to Restaurant Depot to pick up a few things, including a case of sale priced Alaskan King Crab Legs, I get home with a few freezer items and discover there's not enough space in the deep freeze for a 10 pound case of crab legs. My wife and I tear into it on a mission to toss out a bunch of old stuff. We finally get to the bottom and I notice a plastic grocery bag with a bunch of zip loc bags of freezer burned crap in them. I thought they were barely identifiable as barbeque and so when I flipped one bag over, I noticed the date written on it: 10/1/2005! :shock::shock::shock:

09/29/05
to
10/01/05 26th Annual American Royal Barbecue Contest (http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?year=2005&month=09&id=342) Kansas City, MO

This was the leftover meat from our very first ever barbeque contest!! :eek::eek::eek:

Sad thing is, if we would have heated it up, it probably would have tasted as good as it did the day we cooked it since 400th place out of 475 teams most likely had some farked up meat turned in! :lol: Oh well, it started a "memory lane" kinda thing!

A more disgusting find: three whole rainbow trout in a food saver bag marked April, 2003! :shock::eek:

KC_Bobby
09-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I got room in my deep freeze - for the crab, not the 10/1/05 or April 03 items.

nolaman
09-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I know about cleaning out the freezer and finding buried treasures!
We all should do it once a year...
I lost a whole freezer full of meat when door did'nt close tight after craming something else in "too full". Did'nt go down to the basement for several days. The freezer was running, but wasn't cold.The door was ajar!:shock::shock::shock::eek::eek:! Beef, Pork tenderloins, Turtle,Gator,Venison,not to mention the countless containers of left over Gumbo,stews,ect. I almost cried!:mad:
The wife did!!!!!:cry: We had crap in there that was 4 yrs. old !!! From that day, I vowed never freeze left overs. Put in the fridge, for later in the week, or give it to the neighbors to take home...
Moral to the story is, clean out your freezer once a year and never ever depend on a self closing door to close tight! Always check the door!!!!!:idea:

Diver
09-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Lost the meat from all 5 deer my son and I killed last year due to a similar freezer issue. Found venison marked 2005 and fish I couldn't even ID! :eek: Go to the right corner of my garage and you can still smell them.