PDA

View Full Version : Jack Q&A

Lakeside Smoker
08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
I noticed a thread for the Royal Q&A's but nothing for The Jack. So, I thought I would start one for us Jack newbies.

Do we need 7 identifiable pieces of meat instead of 6?
How much 'white meat' in the chicken box?

-Mike

SmokeInDaEye
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Good idea Mike. I had asked a few of those questions here (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66619&page=7). My understanding is that you do need 7 pieces and chicken has to contain pieces of dark and pieces of white with a total count of at least seven but that seven of each isn't required.

Plowboy
08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Anyone still have their form and have contact information? I sent my form in on Friday... I won another qualifier on Saturday. Doh!!! Need to make sure they have me down for another bung.

I kind of figured that if I held onto the form (just in case) that I'd jinx myself for Saturday. I'm going to hold to that thought.

SmokeInDaEye
08-17-2009, 11:47 AM
Just emailed it to you Todd.

Scottie
08-17-2009, 11:47 AM
barbeque@jack_daniels.com

Plowboy
08-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Got it. Thanks.

Jorge
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
This thread has the same potential to become a resource for the future as the American Royal sticky so, with Mike's approval, it's now a Sticky as well.

Congrats to all that will earn their spot in the draw, and the best of luck to those that are drawn!

Plowboy
08-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Found out that they draw the states in alphabetical order after they pull out all of the automatics with wins in those states from a rep at JD. However, item #3 says differently.

Getting clarification from the JD rep I spoke to. More to come.

21st Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue

Draw for “The Jack”

Because “The Jack” is a promotion for the Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey brand, we want to have every state that has a qualifying contest or every state that has a “Grand Champion” residing in that state to be included in our competition.

The final list of teams begins with:

(1)Grand Champions of the following competitions:
·21st Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue
·2008 American Royal Open Competition
·2009 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo Barbecue
·2009 Memphis in May Championship and

(2)Teams winning a competition that is the only qualifier in a state.

Next:

(3)For the remaining states that have more than one qualifying contest, team names will go into state draws one time for every contest they have won in each state – i.e. two wins in Tennessee will get your name in the Tennessee draw two times. (State draws will be conducted randomly.)

(4)If any team is the only “Grand Champion” from its home state and it has not been selected via a state draw, that team will be invited to represent its state. Home state is determined by the address of the chief cook.

(5)If there are numerous Grand Champions from any state and none of their names have been drawn, all Grand Champions from that state will go into a draw to determine who represents their home state.

(6)After all draws are completed, remaining teams will have one last chance in our “Wild Card” draw. Each team’s name will be placed in the “wild card” draw one time and one last team will be invited.)

NOTE: As the draw progresses from state to state, additional teams may make the list by “default.” For example: If TN has seven teams in its draw, GA has three, VT has two, and CA has four, and Team A has wins in all four states and its name is pulled in the TN draw, the team whose name remains in the draw for VT would, by “default,” represent VT. Clear as mud? Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

HoDeDo
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Found out that they draw the states in alphabetical order after they pull out all of the automatics with wins in those states from a rep at JD. However, item #3 says differently.

Getting clarification from the JD rep I spoke to. More to come.

I think #3 just means that there are no other gating criteria... they will draw the names for those states randomly. and they do the states in alphabetical order.

Scottie
08-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, unless they changed it, there will be 2 draws. The first for the order of the states... Then they do the actual draws for the states. As it's obviously a better situation if you are in a later state draw. So there are advantages and disadvantages.

Plowboy
08-17-2009, 09:37 PM
Well, unless they changed it, there will be 2 draws. The first for the order of the states... Then they do the actual draws for the states. As it's obviously a better situation if you are in a later state draw. So there are advantages and disadvantages.

I got a confirmation back that they drew states in Alpha order last year and intend to do the same this year. I explained that it is more fair to the teams to draw the states, that way, it is all about luck and not some advantage/disadvantage based on what letter your state starts with.

Plowboy
08-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I think #3 just means that there are no other gating criteria... they will draw the names for those states randomly. and they do the states in alphabetical order.

No, it was a mistake. She's going to take that statement in #3 out. Until last year, it was a random state draw. They changed it last year.

Rub
08-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Ancillary sauce...does it have to contain JD in it? Any certain amount?

ique
08-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Ancillary sauce...does it have to contain JD in it? Any certain amount?

Yes, they give you a bottle of Jack for the sauce (dont drink it all). You can use any amount.

YankeeBBQ
08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Can someone pm me the contact info for the person running the draw. I haven't received anything yet. A phone number would be great

Plowboy
08-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Can someone pm me the contact info for the person running the draw. I haven't received anything yet. A phone number would be great

Debbie Christian
Jack Daniel Distillery
160 Craig Street
Lynchburg, TN 37352
931-759-6332
931-759-6311 (fax)
Debbie_Christian@b-f.com

Plowboy
08-18-2009, 09:30 AM

Also check in with the KCBS office to make sure they got everything in for you. I swapped emails with folks at the Jack and KCBS yesterday to make sure they got my last win in. They were all on top of it.

swamprb
08-18-2009, 09:37 AM
I wonder how it will work out if you win a Canadian qualifier? They could use a few more teams at the Langley, BC event to make it a qualifier. They upped the prize money a bit.
http://www.pnwba.com/ContestApps/2009/bypass_2009.pdf

Plowboy
08-18-2009, 09:38 AM
21 days until the draw. Anyone got a bottle of Gentleman Jack already in the freezer? I do.

Diva
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
I wonder how it will work out if you win a Canadian qualifier? They could use a few more teams at the Langley, BC event to make it a qualifier. They upped the prize money a bit.
http://www.pnwba.com/ContestApps/2009/bypass_2009.pdf

The Grand Champion (if from the United States) would go into their home state drawing.

YankeeBBQ
08-18-2009, 11:11 AM
Debbie Christian
Jack Daniel Distillery
160 Craig Street
Lynchburg, TN 37352
931-759-6332
931-759-6311 (fax)
Debbie_Christian@b-f.com

Thanks !

JD McGee
08-18-2009, 01:08 PM
The president of our local BBQ association (PNWBA) just e-mailed in our qualifier GC to "The Jack" reps....holy carp! :-P

Alexa RnQ
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
21 days until the draw. Anyone got a bottle of Gentleman Jack already in the freezer? I do.
We cracked open our bottle of Single Barrel that we'd been dragging around for the last few contests. It would have been even better straight from the freezer, but was pretty enjoyable anyway. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Lakeside Smoker
08-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Does the Cook's Choice category need to be cooked on charcoal? And, it's open garnish right?

Same questions about the Dessert category.

-Mike

ique
08-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Does the Cook's Choice category need to be cooked on charcoal? And, it's open garnish right?

Same questions about the Dessert category.

-Mike

Open garnish

Platter must be no bigger than 18x18

Dessert cannot be store bought but can be made off-site

Not sure if there is a rule about wood only for cooking chefs

SmokeInDaEye
08-22-2009, 09:29 AM
Chris, you said all of the ancillaries are turned in same day as KCBS? You remember the turn-in times?

ique
08-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Chris, you said all of the ancillaries are turned in same day as KCBS? You remember the turn-in times?

I've been wrong on important turn in times before. But this is what I recall

11:30 Sauce
12:00 Chefs
12:30 Chic
1:00 Ribs
1:30 Pork
2:00 Brisket
2:30 Dessert

Cue's Your Daddy
08-22-2009, 04:46 PM
I havent won a qualifier but i go to every contest with a bottle of gentleman jack, a bottle of single barrel and abottle of the regular jack. Does that Qualify me to enter the Jack. I will get a state proclamation from new york. LOLOLOL

Plowboy
08-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Debbie just confirmed with me that they WILL be drawing the state order. Nice!!!

One week!!!!!!

Scottie
08-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I havent won a qualifier but i go to every contest with a bottle of gentleman jack, a bottle of single barrel and abottle of the regular jack. Does that Qualify me to enter the Jack. I will get a state proclamation from new york. LOLOLOL

Well.... You might not get an entry into the Jack... but you will get an entry into my cook site!!! :twisted:

Scottie
08-25-2009, 12:58 PM
Debbie just confirmed with me that they WILL be drawing the state order. Nice!!!

One week!!!!!!

That is how Tana used to do it... It's how it should be...

Butcher BBQ
08-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Well.... You might not get an entry into the Jack... but you will get an entry into my cook site!!! :twisted:

I'm in, is during prep time and turn ins?:shock:

Cue's Your Daddy
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM

I have your sticker you sent me on my car, and in Lake Placid they had you as our head cook. no joke. So I am on your team.

Scottie
08-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm in, is during prep time and turn ins?:shock:

Wednesday and Thursday night!!! Fans aren't allowed during turn-ins... Camera crews are, as long as they get my name of my foundation right... :roll:

Vince RnQ
08-25-2009, 02:09 PM

One week!!!!!!

That's great news to hear, Todd. I agree with what Scottie said about this being the only right way to do it. The randomness of the order of states is paramount to the randomness of the entire draw.

I'm really excited to see who's going this year!

Butcher BBQ
08-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Wednesday and Thursday night!!! Fans aren't allowed during turn-ins... Camera crews are, as long as they get my name of my foundation right... :roll:

Fan we are, but I was hoping for a little more. So I will wait for the hard back book to come out.

Rub
08-27-2009, 06:14 AM
Those JD barrel heads I've seen teams get signed by all the other teams....where/how can I reserve one so I am sure to have one there?

Diva
08-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Call the hardware store, they can steer you in the right direction.

Scottie
08-27-2009, 06:57 AM
2 years ago, they ran out of lids early from the hardware store. Seemed like more and more teams are doing it.

Rub
09-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Think I read turn ins must have a minimum of 7 pieces. How many judges are there - 6, 7? Are the rules posted anywhere?

Alexa RnQ
09-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Rub, it's judged the same as KCBS, with the exception of 7 pieces (because they're Old No. 7), and both dark and white meat chicken must be included in the box.

musicmanryann
09-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Rub, it's judged the same as KCBS, with the exception of 7 pieces (because they're Old No. 7), and both dark and white meat chicken must be included in the box.

7 pieces, but only 6 judges, correct?

Vince RnQ
09-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Correct.

Dustaway
09-02-2009, 04:44 PM
well I guess it will be ok the have a shot of jack before work Thursday just for good luck purposes of course

JD McGee
09-02-2009, 09:25 PM
well I guess it will be ok the have a shot of jack before work Thursday just for good luck purposes of course

Way ahead of you bro! For Luck! Cheers...:-P

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/uu311/SouthPawBBQ/The%20Jack%202009/IMG_7597.jpg

Jason - 3 Eyz
09-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Hey folks. Any idea when they "release" schedule for the Jack. Trying to figure out what might be going on Thursday this year and make travel arrangements. Thanks!

Alexa RnQ
09-10-2009, 08:30 AM
All the draw teams should be getting their official mailed information packets soon, it should all be in there.

Don't forget to empty the manila envelope completely and check it to make sure you've got everything out of it -- we nearly threw away our little parking-permit decal last year because we didn't realize it was loose in the bottom of the envelope!

Rub
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Hey folks. Any idea when they "release" schedule for the Jack. Trying to figure out what might be going on Thursday this year and make travel arrangements. Thanks!
Looking in my packet I don't see anything specific for Thursday, except that teams can move in. It says "Our event will officially get started Friday morning with a 5k run. Friday evening at 5:30, to salute the town of Lynchburg, teams will parade from the park and around the town square..."

QN
09-14-2009, 08:48 AM
If you have any special requests, space needs, etc. or any specific questions about the team layout for the Jack this year you should contact Craig Gaskill directly. His telephone number is 615-613-5741 and his email is cgaskill@stericycle.com (cgaskill@stericycle.com)

swamprb
09-14-2009, 06:15 PM
Any info on who the Canadian invitees are?

I was in Langley, BC Canada over the weekend and a few teams who won qualifiers hadn't heard anything yet? I got the Jack Daniels Dear John letter with "Final List for the Jack" on Friday and it included the Automatics, Home State, Wild Card and State teams.

Just wondering how they decide if a US team (Sugar's BBQ - Portland OR) wins a qualifier in Canada (BBQ on the Bypass)?

Scottie
09-15-2009, 12:33 PM
If a US team wins a 'foreign' contest, they will gio into their state draw. It's not an automatic like it is for some Canadian teams... If this contest just happened, the Jack year ends on 8/31... So they will have to wait until next year.

Diva
09-15-2009, 12:35 PM
I can't find the correct thread, but, I had told someone that if they had made it to the Jack that they could buy a spot to go to Mary Bobo's with me....I want to honor that. Who was it???? Was it R2B2 Steve whom I call Vinny?

Steph

Scottie
09-15-2009, 01:41 PM
I can't find the correct thread, but, I had told someone that if they had made it to the Jack that they could buy a spot to go to Mary Bobo's with me....I want to honor that. Who was it???? Was it R2B2 Steve whom I call Vinny?

Steph

You had told me.. but I went and got my own table...

Diva
09-15-2009, 01:48 PM
You had told me.. but I went and got my own table...

Nope....it was someone else.

smknwhlswife
09-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Steph - You are right, it was Steve.

It's under the 2009 Jack Draw thread pgs 3-5

The Pickled Pig
09-15-2009, 10:09 PM
The rules specify 7 portions for meat entries but do not specify for the Cook's Choice or Dessert categories. Do those require 7 portions as well?

And I didn't see anything other than vague references to the dessert category in my packet. Does the dessert entry have to be made on site?

Alexa RnQ
09-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Paul, I submitted 7 dessert portions last year, and cooked them on site. I figured that was safe, but I'd like to see some details for this year, also.

ique
09-16-2009, 05:58 AM
The rules specify 7 portions for meat entries but do not specify for the Cook's Choice or Dessert categories. Do those require 7 portions as well?

And I didn't see anything other than vague references to the dessert category in my packet. Does the dessert entry have to be made on site?

Pretty sure the only rule for dessert is, 'not store bought'

lunchlady
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
In the spirit of this thread... I have a tiny tidbit that I'm going to share with everyone... definately at my teams expense, but for the benefit of all my Brethren... here goes...

While we were at the Jack last year we were contemplating the sauce category. The entire time leading up to Lynchburg, we had planned on putting some Jack into our own sauce, like EVERYONE else does. We had been practicing our dessert, and consuming some adult beverages.
We ALL thought that the maple caramel bourbon sauce that we had made to complement the pumpkin custard profiteroles was quite possibly the best sauce we had ever tasted! We decided to throw caution to the wind, turn in the Jack caramel sauce, and maybe we would be 'out-of-the-box' enough to pull off a walk. Who knows, right?
WELL...nowhere did it say WHAT the judges would be tasting the sauce with, or what it might be put on (and we stupidly didn't ask anyone either)...
I can only imagine what the judges' faces looked like when they tried our DELICIOUS caramel sauce... ON PORK :shock: ewwww!
Needless to say, it farkin' tanked! BUT, it did NOT get DAL... surprising, I know.

LESSON LEARNED... whether at the Jack or at any other event with a sauce category... be sure to ASK your organizer ahead of time how the sauce will be judged... with a spoon, on pulled pork, with a cracker, whatever...

thanks! and the laughter may begin... :-D

QN
09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Sauce at the Jack has been judged with pulled pork for as long as I can remember. The judges are provided with containers of pork on each table to use when they judge sauce. I would suggest staying away from the caramel....

Rub
09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Lol with you Michelle, I would have never thought about turning in a caramel sauce at a bbq contest :tongue: :razz:
Thanks for the heads-up!

lunchlady
09-17-2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah, it does seem dumb now, although it may have been the Gentlemen's talking at the time (really?), but it WAS delicious.
I guess we were just trying to find that elusive 'edge'... completely our own fault for not clarifying ahead of time.

Doncha think TGIFriday's would like a caramel sauce? heheh

BBQ_Brian
09-17-2009, 03:24 PM
is it too bold to simply turn in a Jack n Coke? Ha, nice creativity heh?

Looking forward to being AT the Jack.

SmokeInDaEye
09-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it does seem dumb now, although it may have been the Gentlemen's talking at the time (really?), but it WAS delicious.
I guess we were just trying to find that elusive 'edge'... completely our own fault for not clarifying ahead of time.

Doncha think TGIFriday's would like a caramel sauce? heheh

But just imagine if they had been tasting it on ice cream! You all could have been looking at a possible perfect score while the other teams were kicking themselves for turning in vinegar based bbq sauces.

lunchlady
09-17-2009, 08:41 PM
yeah, I think we convinced ourselves that it may be tasted with a spoon...
damn I love GJ!

Lakeside Smoker
09-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Another question on 7 pieces of meat:

I need to use white meat in my chicken box. Can I use 6 thighs (like I always do) and then add some breast meat in the box? Would the breast meat count as my 7th piece?

Thanks
-Mike

ique
09-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Another question on 7 pieces of meat:

I need to use white meat in my chicken box. Can I use 6 thighs (like I always do) and then add some breast meat in the box? Would the breast meat count as my 7th piece?

Thanks
-Mike

Yes.

Dan - 3eyzbbq
09-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Hey guys - couple questions:

Whats the real deal with beer/liquor at the Jack? Are the teams left alone or do we need to hide it well?

Is there any power available or are generators a necessity?

When it rains, is the field a mud bog or just a little wet?

Thanks!

QN
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Hey guys - couple questions:

Whats the real deal with beer/liquor at the Jack? Are the teams left alone or do we need to hide it well?

Is there any power available or are generators a necessity?

When it rains, is the field a mud bog or just a little wet?

Thanks!

Lynchburg is the county seat of Moore County. This county has been dry since prohibition. Bring what you want to drink and put it in a cup. Don't drink out of bottles in public. If you are inside a RV you are probably OK.

There is limited power at most sites; you may get one outlet and the circuit is shared. There is one area with no power at all. To be safe, if you absolutely require power you should have your own generator.

When it rains, it gets wet. Some of the areas drain OK and some end up with waterfront sites. One year a team posted a "No Wake Zone" in front of their site as the water was fairly deep and passing vehicles sent waves into their cook site. Not sure what you mean by "the field". The contest is held in a city park and there are multiple areas spread out. If you look at this drawing http://www.4shared.com/file/131528203/9e52d7ec/overall.html you will see areas numbered 1 to 8. These are the areas where cook teams were placed for the last several years. I'm not sure how it will be this year as someone different is doing the layout. If you have any special needs, space, or whatever, you should contact Craig Gaskill directly. His phone and email info is in post #49 of this thread and was also included in your Jack packet you should have received by now. Hope this helps. PM me if you want to. I have been involved in parking teams and helping with meat inspection at the Jack for several years.

Sledneck
09-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Do we get space assignments before the contest or day of?

QN
09-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Do we get space assignments before the contest or day of?

The way it has always worked in the past, you are told where to park when you get there. It is very likely I'll be the guy showing you to your site, but I am not doing the actual layout. Space is very limited and tight. Ask Poobah about his experience last year.

If you have any special/specific needs, space size, RV space needed, etc. you need to contact Craig Gaskill. His info is in the packet you should have received by now and is also in post #49 of this thread. Craig is the person doing the actual layout and space assignments this year.

Sledneck
09-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Do I need to have a state flag of the state I am representing?

Scottie
09-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Do I need to have a state flag of the state I am representing?

Yes you do... Unless you won the auto from Connecticut and you need to have all 50 states, DC, Canada, Britain, Germany, Turkey, Latvia, et al.

I'd hate to be the guy from Connecticut!!!

dmprantz
09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Sorry to ask here as this really isn't a competitor type question, but I didn't want to start a new thread. JD has done a less than steller job of keeping every one informed, and I'm trying to make sure I understand where everything is. The website says that visitor parking is at "the Moore County High School" and that the competition is at or near "the Lynchburg Town Square." When I Google Map those I get one location on 55, north of 50, and another location 12.6 miles away on 50, halfway between 55 and Winchester. Is that really where everything is? Is parking really that far away from the event? Is that the only place to park? Thanks.

dmp

Scottie
09-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Basically if you find where Main and Hil St. are in Lynchburg, you have found the Town Square. The Park is just sounth of that, down the hill a little farther. If you hit the creek, you have gone too far. The HS is about a mile away from the park. They don't have a lot of parking in Lynchburg for 25,000 folks, so they have to park them somewhere... I know they have shuttle buses running to get folks to the park. If you do a satelite view of Lynchburg, you can see the park, track and baseball fields where some of the teams will be set up. A bunch of other teams are set up along the creek, just sounh of the town square...

dmprantz
09-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Thanks Scottie! Google Maps was taking me to the wrong place for the comp, and it all makes sense now. Sure would have been nice if JD had provided an address, coordinates, or a map!

dmp

blues_n_cues
09-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Scottie! Google Maps was taking me to the wrong place for the comp, and it all makes sense now. Sure would have been nice if JD had provided an address, coordinates, or a map!

dmp
maybe try google earth? i'm sure there will be signs everywhere.i figure just follow the traffic or ask the lil' old lady @ the convenience store.

lunchlady
09-24-2009, 01:16 PM
punch in Park Alley, Lynchburg... but keep looking for the signs...

blues_n_cues
09-24-2009, 01:18 PM
vending @ the jack??? i'm waiting on a call back from them but i was curious if anyone knows what the cost is to vend(say,drinks,icecream etc).

BBQ_Brian
09-28-2009, 09:05 PM
What items do you think are really cool to pre-order from the general store... Rub mentioned the barrel heads? Anything other really cool items?

BBQ Brian

Just Smokin' Around
09-28-2009, 10:05 PM
What items do you think are really cool to pre-order from the general store... Rub mentioned the barrel heads? Anything other really cool items?

BBQ Brian

How do you pre-order from the general store? Also, we didn't get an order forms with our packet for things like shirts and hats nor did we get a schedule with turn-in times and such. Did anyone get an order form or schedule with there acceptance package.

Rub
09-28-2009, 10:21 PM
I did not get any info like that. I just contacted the shop directly and told them what I wanted to do. They are holding one for me and I have already paid for it, and they applied the 20% discount :)

Scottie
09-29-2009, 06:53 AM
They forgot to include the form with the packet. I believe Lisa Matlock at the hardware store handles all the pre-order for t-shirts, aprons, et al.

Also, the last day to order was the 25th. So maybe try calling the hardware store?

lunchlady
09-29-2009, 07:18 AM
you can always call or e-mail Judy @ the Jack... she is really nice and is aware that the order form was not in the packet.
She also will e-mail you the turn-in times/schedule and she is finding out about vending for us (rubs only-nothing perishable) so I will let you know when that info comes.

Just Smokin' Around
09-29-2009, 10:01 AM
They forgot to include the form with the packet. I believe Lisa Matlock at the hardware store handles all the pre-order for t-shirts, aprons, et al.

Also, the last day to order was the 25th. So maybe try calling the hardware store?
Great, missed a deadline know one even knew about. Does anyone have a phone number or contact information for the hardware store? Even though the deadline has passed, I would like to try and see if I can reserve a couple of items. Thanks. I'll also try sending Judy and email.

Scottie
09-29-2009, 12:53 PM
I think this is cool for posting this? If not, I am sorry Mods. But I know one from Texas that could probably use the info... So make sure he gets it first!!! :twisted:

Lisa Matlock
Inventory Control
Jack Daniel's Hardware Store
160 Craig St
Lynchburg, Tn 37352
931-759-6302

Rub
09-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Great, missed a deadline know one even knew about. Does anyone have a phone number or contact information for the hardware store? Even though the deadline has passed, I would like to try and see if I can reserve a couple of items. Thanks. I'll also try sending Judy and email.

Try this email, it worked for me:

Mailorder@jackdaniels.com

Sledneck
09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
The event doesnt have t-shirts for sale on site?

ique
09-29-2009, 08:42 PM

Yes, the shops in the center of town sell t-shirts, posters etc. Head up there Thursday afternoon, or first thing Friday, stuff sells out

Just Smokin' Around
09-29-2009, 09:24 PM

You would think this is the case. When we went two years back, I didn't pre order thinking I could just get it there. After team check in, I asked where I could get shirts and they sounded like if you were lucky, you might find some in town. Fortunately, we did, but sizes and selection were limited. So, this time I thought I'll make sure I order what I want. And what happenes.... no order form.

Lakeside Smoker
10-07-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm a little confused on a 'dry county'

I'll be at the Jack Daniel's Distillery but I can't buy a bottle of Jack?
Is this correct?

Thanks
-Mike

Plowboy
10-07-2009, 08:34 AM

Is this correct?

Thanks
-Mike

That is correct... except for the commemorative bottles at the visitors center with a 200%+ markup.

BYOB

sitnfat
10-07-2009, 08:46 AM
I see that they have a shade tree compitition where 37 team will compete. how do they pick these teams?

Don Marco
10-07-2009, 02:00 PM
From the rules and regulations :

Props, trailers, motor homes, tents or any other equipment must not exceed the boundaries of the contestant’s assigned space. Personal vehicles will not be allowed to remain in the cooking areas. Convenient parking in Wiseman Park will be provided for one team vehicle. Vehicular access to the park will be limited the week of the event. (NOTE: Vehicles not used specifically as cooking equipment must be removed from the cooking site by 4:00 p.m. (16:00) on Friday. At 7:00 a.m. on Saturday all vehicles must be removed from the site. Free satellite parking and free shuttles are available.

This isnt exactly clear to me. :-?
I thought you could keep a motor home at the cooking site ? At least i thought ive seen lots of them on pictures and videos from the last years Jack.

DM

Scottie
10-07-2009, 02:08 PM
you can keep your RV on site.

Mike, they sell collector bottles at the White Rabbit at the Visitors Center. Bottles that you can't find at ligquor stores, et al. although, sometimes, you get real good deals!!! :icon_shy I'll be picking up my case of those deals when I pull in to town... If you have a Harpoon, I might share a little with you.... :twisted:

ique
10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

Is this correct?

Thanks
-Mike

I usually stop at the Liquor Locker in Tullahoma on the way in. They have lots of variety of Jack and decent prices

Lakeside Smoker
10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
If you have a Harpoon, I might share a little with you.... :twisted:

Actually, I just ordered my beer for the Jack from my beer guy. Beer menu at Lakeside:
La Fin Du Monde
Uniboue Terrible
Harpoon White
Please stop by.

Scottie
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
Actually, I just ordered my beer for the Jack from my beer guy. Beer menu at Lakeside:
La Fin Du Monde
Uniboue Terrible
Harpoon White
Please stop by.

I had a La Fin 12 oz. and a Harpoon White last night. I was smashed.... I like that I am becoming a cheap date!!! :roll: The Terrible is good as well. Fortunately for me, NEBS is too far away to be cooking with you guys every weekend... :wink:

Diva
10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
La Fin Du Monde
Uniboue Terrible
Harpoon White
Please stop by.

No Summer? :sad:

Scottie
10-07-2009, 02:41 PM

It's fall. Gotta get some of that special fall stuff they have...

**I did find a 'spare' 12-pack in my RV last night when I was organizing it. That was almost better than finding a $20 bill in the washing machine...

Lakeside Smoker
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM

That might be a tough one to get right now. I'll search around and see what I can find.

Don Marco
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM
Another question regarding booze :

Do you think we will run into major problems because jim beam is one of our team sponsors ?I mean besides being the joke of the party... :cool:
No big logos or banners, but we have small logos on our competition shirts.:oops:

DM

Don Marco
10-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Is it okay to bring a bottle or two of good "schnapps" from germany for the brethren and other friends to taste or will we get tared and feathered for that ? :roll:

Dont get me wrong, you should see my Jack collection, i just love that stuff. - i just thought itīd be a nice idea to share some of our good stuff we got over here.

DM

Scottie
10-07-2009, 03:05 PM

Do you think we will run into major problems because jim beam is one of our team sponsors ?I mean besides being the joke of the party... :cool:
No big logos or banners, but we have small logos on our competition shirts.:oops:

DM

Honestly, I would check with the Jack folks. My thoughts are they sure aren't going to be too happy that you will have Jim Beam anywhere at their contest. I don't recall seeing it this year, but in the past, they asked who are sponsors were, as they had to approve them...

ique
10-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Honestly, I would check with the Jack folks. My thoughts are they sure aren't going to be too happy that you will have Jim Beam anywhere at their contest. I don't recall seeing it this year, but in the past, they asked who are sponsors were, as they had to approve them...

Not to mention the bad Karma :wink:

Scottie
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
Not to mention the bad Karma :wink:

Well, I was figuring that would be a given... I know you wouldn't catch me dead with a bottle of JB at the Jack... Ghosts of Lynchburg past might come and get you or something..... :eek:

ique
10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Well, I was figuring that would be a given... I know you wouldn't catch me dead with a bottle of JB at the Jack... Ghosts of Lynchburg past might come and get you or something..... :eek:

I saw some team last year drinking freaking Irish Whiskey at the JAck... who was that? hmmmmmm

Rub
10-07-2009, 03:36 PM
Any hay bales to be had up there?

QN
10-08-2009, 07:32 AM

DM

A Texas team a couple of years ago was sponsored by another liquor company. They were asked/required to remove all of those signs, logos, etc. from their cook site. Not sure what they may do about a shirt logo, but they may ask you not to wear the shirts. Remember, this is a marketing event for the Jack Daniels brand.

QN
10-08-2009, 07:38 AM
From the rules and regulations :
This isnt exactly clear to me. :-?
I thought you could keep a motor home at the cooking site ? At least i thought ive seen lots of them on pictures and videos from the last years Jack. DM

The most important part of this statement is "Props, trailers, motor homes, tents or any other equipment must not exceed the boundaries of the contestant’s assigned space." Things are pretty tight in the park and space is limited.

QN
10-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Is it okay to bring a bottle or two of good "schnapps" from germany for the brethren and other friends to taste? i just thought itīd be a nice idea to share some of our good stuff we got over here.DM

Absolutely... You will have no problem finding friends and brethren to consume good beverages. As I recall, there was a good bit of rye whiskey consumed last year....

QN
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Any hay bales to be had up there?

If you want hay bales to decorate your site you should bring them with you. If it rains they usually come up with a load of hay for ground cover, but usually there are no hay bales available for decorative purposes for the teams to use.

Sledneck
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Sledcast

Looking good so far, bit nipply at night but no sign of that H2O stuff:biggrin:

Wednesday, Oct 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 60 °F
Partly sunny

Wednesday Night, Oct 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/33.gif
Low: 35 °F RealFeel®: 37 °F
Clear

Thursday, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/01.gif
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Sunny

Thursday Night, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 36 °F RealFeel®: 34 °F
Mainly clear

Bbq Bubba
10-09-2009, 06:19 AM
Sledcast

Looking good so far, bit nipply at night but no sign of that H2O stuff:biggrin:

Wednesday, Oct 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 61 °F RealFeelŪ: 60 °F
Partly sunny

Wednesday Night, Oct 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/33.gif
Low: 35 °F RealFeelŪ: 37 °F
Clear

Thursday, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/01.gif
High: 61 °F RealFeelŪ: 64 °F
Sunny

Thursday Night, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/34.gif
Low: 36 °F RealFeelŪ: 34 °F
Mainly clear

Can you give me a Sledcast for Nov 15th plz? :roll:

Don Marco
10-09-2009, 06:50 AM

I got the reply today.
We are asked not to show any banners but the Shirts will be fine.

DM

ique
10-11-2009, 06:30 AM
That is 2008. I dont think the I Know Jack grilling contest is happening this year. Attached is what I have for 2009

Lakeside Smoker
10-11-2009, 06:43 AM
That is 2008. I dont think the I Know Jack grilling contest is happening this year. Attached is what I have for 2009

Hahaha, I guess that's why nothing points to it!! I'll delete the post so no one gets confused.
Thanks Chris

Edit: I can't delete my old post. Hopefully a Moderator will. Thanks!

Mod Note: Done. I left Chris's post with the '09 schedule, and this one so that it's a little confusing for those that weren't following along. Jorge

Diva
10-11-2009, 11:31 AM
2009s schedule looks pretty sparse compared to 2008.

Sledneck
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
Sauce category questions:

How much sauce?
Is it 1 container?
Does it have to be turned in cold or warmed?
Is it tested on food?

QN
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Sauce category questions:

How much sauce?
Is it 1 container?
Does it have to be turned in cold or warmed?
Is it tested on food?

They will provide you with a cup to put it in. Cold or warm is your choice. Plain pulled pork is usually provided to the judges to use in judging sauce.

BBQ_Brian
10-11-2009, 11:53 PM
So sauce, chef's choice, dessert and the four meat categories are all on the same day and within 3 hours. Can we cram anything else into the schedule for the competitors? Oh my.

I like the idea of the "extra" categories on the eve/day before. Thoughts?

Brian

QN
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Can we cram anything else into the schedule for the competitors? Oh my.
Brian

You could also have an entry in the country dog contest at 11:30...:biggrin:

Lakeside Smoker
10-12-2009, 01:26 PM
You could also have an entry in the country dog contest at 11:30...:biggrin:

We're actually doing that! We figure it's our best chance hearing our name called at the Jack. :-D

Sledneck
10-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Sledcast

Friday, Oct 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/02.gif
High: 68 °F RealFeelŪ: 73 °F
Mostly sunny

Friday Night, Oct 23
Low: 43 °F RealFeelŪ: 47 °F
Clear

Saturday, Oct 24
High: 67 °F RealFeelŪ: 72 °F
Abundant sunshine

Saturday Night, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 44 °F RealFeelŪ: 48 °F
Partly cloudy

ique
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Its goin to be COLD overnight in the hollow

Sledneck
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Its goin to be COLD overnight in the hollow
As long is its a dry cold :biggrin:

Bbq Bubba
10-12-2009, 07:45 PM
As long is its a dry cold :biggrin:

LMAO.....thats still shorts weather! :biggrin:

Rub
10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm packing the electric blanket.

Alexa RnQ
10-12-2009, 10:12 PM
...and the 40-below sleeping bag, and the electric socks.

Diva
10-13-2009, 09:08 AM
If anyone's staying at the Jameson Inn, here's a $10 off coupon

http://jamesoninns.com/specials.asp

lunchlady
10-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I'm packing the electric blanket.

me too !

no lie.. last year we woke up on Sunday and there was a sheet of ICE on the Backwoods' .... :shock:

BBQ_Brian
10-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm good to go as long as it doesn't involve snow. But then again, being from Canada you'd think we should be ready for that too...

Sledneck
10-13-2009, 03:57 PM
I'm packing the electric blanket.Rub, We all know you are bringing the snuggie :tongue:

Just Smokin' Around
10-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Does anyone have any information on check-in and when the cooks meeting is? I saw the schedule of events with turn-in times, but nothing on the cooks meeting or team check-in.

Rub
10-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Rub, We all know you are bringing the snuggie :tongue:

You know it's funny you post that...my wife and daughter came home with 2 of those damn things last Sunday. They said I could borrow one of them for the trip :biggrin: 8-)

QN
10-15-2009, 07:44 AM
Does anyone have any information on check-in and when the cooks meeting is? I saw the schedule of events with turn-in times, but nothing on the cooks meeting or team check-in.

In the past it has been Friday afternoon at the picnic pavilion. If I get any definite info I'll post it here.

QN
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
In the past it has been Friday afternoon at the picnic pavilion. If I get any definite info I'll post it here.

Team check in and Cook's meeting for the Jack.
Team check-in is Friday from 12-2 at the picnic pavilion and the cook's meeting is at 2pm at the same location.

Sledneck
10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
You know it's funny you post that...my wife and daughter came home with 2 of those damn things last Sunday. They said I could borrow one of them for the trip :biggrin: 8-)
Looks like your gonna need it, could you bring the other one for me?:biggrin:

Thursday, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/08.gif
High: 71 °F RealFeel®: 69 °F
Low clouds with a passing shower in the afternoon

Thursday Night, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/07.gif
Low: 36 °F RealFeel®: 35 °F
Cloudy

Friday, Oct 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/07.gif
High: 66 °F RealFeel®: 65 °F
Considerable cloudiness

Friday Night, Oct 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 37 °F RealFeel®: 38 °F
Partly cloudy

Saturday, Oct 24
High: 64 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Partial sunshine

Saturday Night, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 36 °F RealFeel®: 38 °F
Partly cloudy

Rub
10-15-2009, 10:01 PM
Looks like your gonna need it, could you bring the other one for me?:biggrin:

You can use the blue one, but you're not gettin' the limited edition zebra striped one. 8-)

http://www.swampboys.com/images/dsc_0654.jpg

QN
10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Looks like you better bring the rain gear and snuggies, too.

Wednesday, Oct 21
High: 72 °F RealFeelŪ: 71 °F
Partly sunny and pleasant

Wednesday Night, Oct 21
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/18.gif
Low: 57 °F RealFeelŪ: 58 °F
Mild with rain

Thursday, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/18.gif
High: 69 °F RealFeelŪ: 67 °F
Periods of rain

Thursday Night, Oct 22
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/18.gif
Low: 55 °F RealFeelŪ: 56 °F
Periods of rain

Friday, Oct 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 67 °F RealFeelŪ: 69 °F
Cloudy most of the time

Friday Night, Oct 23
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 37 °F RealFeelŪ: 36 °F
Mostly cloudy

Saturday, Oct 24
High: 62 °F RealFeelŪ: 62 °F
Sun and some clouds

Saturday Night, Oct 24
Low: 38 °F RealFeelŪ: 41 °F
Mainly clear

Sunday, Oct 25
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 62 °F RealFeelŪ: 65 °F
Thickening clouds

Sledneck
10-17-2009, 09:07 PM
WTF??

Thursday, Oct 22
High: 74 °F RealFeel®: 72 °F
Mostly cloudy with a couple of showers possible

Thursday Night, Oct 22
Low: 57 °F RealFeel®: 57 °F
Mild with rain

Friday, Oct 23
High: 67 °F RealFeel®: 67 °F
Rather cloudy

Friday Night, Oct 23
Low: 52 °F RealFeel®: 51 °F
Periods of rain

Saturday, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/07.gif
High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 67 °F
A thick cloud cover

Saturday Night, Oct 24
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/07.gif
Low: 38 °F RealFeel®: 34 °F
Cloudy

QN
10-18-2009, 06:41 AM
Weather in the "holler" is a strange thing. It will do what it does when it happens. Be prepared for anything; rain, cold, etc. I don't know anyone who can make an accuratee forecast for the holler.

ique
10-18-2009, 07:11 AM
Not sure whats worse, clear with a low of 32 or raining with a low of 52. 52! I just went and bought electric blankets

KC_Bobby
10-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Weather in the "holler" is a strange thing. It will do what it does when it happens. Be prepared for anything; rain, cold, etc. I don't know anyone who can make an accuratee forecast for the holler.

What exactly is the "holler"? Is it a small valley between some higher land?

indianagriller
10-18-2009, 06:33 PM
what is the rules on people coming to watch at the Jack, is it like the Royal where we are not allowed in there after a certain time? I am driving down and should be there around 2pm Friday or so will i be allowed into the comp site at that time? Any other pointers for attending the Jack

Jorge
10-18-2009, 06:52 PM

Go to sleep in that trailer with Jeff....and we'll let you know if you qualify:-P:wink::lol:

Jorge
10-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Planning to leave DFW by noon on Wednesday.

Right now Google has me taking I30 to Little Rock and then I40 to Nashville, before heading south towards Lynchburg. We'll see what the fancy new Garmin says along the route.

If anybody needs to know about good gas prices, weather, possible construction shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you know if I run into something good or bad.

Safe travels to all!

KC_Bobby
10-19-2009, 10:00 AM
Go to sleep in that trailer with Jeff....and we'll let you know if you qualify:-P:wink::lol:

Not the answer I was looking for. :mad:

If anybody needs to know about good gas prices, weather, possible construction shoot me a PM with your contact info and I'll let you know if I run into something good or bad.

Do you have my cell #? Shoot me yours. I think I had it once, but it's not in my phone.

QN
10-19-2009, 11:23 AM
what is the rules on people coming to watch at the Jack, is it like the Royal where we are not allowed in there after a certain time? I am driving down and should be there around 2pm Friday or so will i be allowed into the comp site at that time? Any other pointers for attending the Jack

Rules? It is the Jack. You can pretty much walk in any time; no vehicles though. You can get in to the comp site Friday afternoon with no problem. Find a place to park and walk.

The Pickled Pig
10-19-2009, 03:12 PM

"Hollow" with a southern accent? (a depressed or low part of a surface; especially : a small valley or basin)

QN
10-19-2009, 05:02 PM
"Hollow" with a southern accent? (a depressed or low part of a surface; especially : a small valley or basin)

Correct. When you are there you can look up and see hills all around you. When you get there you will understand what the holler is...

Sledneck
10-20-2009, 06:00 PM
If anybody needs parsley come see me, i have a case.

If anybody has disposable cutting board they can sell me please look me up . I just need a few

Rub
10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Dessert turn in time - anyone know?

ique
10-20-2009, 08:07 PM
If anybody needs parsley come see me, i have a case.

If anybody has disposable cutting board they can sell me please look me up . I just need a few

I have your cutting boards Sled. I should be setup somewhere around the race track.

Alexa RnQ
10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Dessert turn in time - anyone know?
I believe it's 2:30 -- another half-hour increment after the last meat.

Rub
10-20-2009, 09:30 PM