PDA

View Full Version : Team Names

GratefulSmoker
08-14-2009, 03:52 PM
What's your team name and how did you come up with it? Thanks!

ZILLA
08-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Moondance BBQ - Moondance by Van Morrison is my wife's favorite romantic song. It was our wedding song. It was an idea my old cooking partner gave me when we went our separate ways. As my wife will be my new cooking partner I thought she would like that gesture, and it fits an all night smoker like me. My pit is the Midnight Special.

The Pigman
08-14-2009, 06:09 PM
Smokin' Blues BBQ..........I love Smokin' and I love the Blues there were 5 different names I wrote on a pc of paper and had everyone at work vote and this was it.

juicybuttsbbq
08-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Juicy Butts,,,,,,well,,,err,,,I had some Gastro Work several yrs,,,,,never mind,,hehehehe,,,,, :)

Podge
08-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Moonswiners.. Tried for months to find a name that kinda fit with Kentucky, and horse cookers wouldn't work... but at one time Ky. had over 3,000 moonshine stills and one night about to fall asleep, this name hit me. Took moonshine and threw a pig at it.

moocow
08-14-2009, 07:59 PM
MooCow, We asked the then 2 1/2 year old what we should name daddy's BBQ team and he said without hesitation "MooCow". He is 4 now and a full fledged member.

butt head
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
butthead bbq, if you get called something enough times it sticks in your head:mrgreen:

butts
08-14-2009, 08:22 PM
ButtsandBreastts. We visited the Tryon festival for several years and thought that we should cook Boston Butts and Chicken Breasts. We later added a second T to breasts just because we liked it!

watertowerbbq
08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
I design elevated water towers so..............Water Tower BBQ

GratefulSmoker
08-14-2009, 09:03 PM
When I had my team it was named "Dazed and Confused BBQ", named after my love of the Grateful Dead. My catering company is named "Fairway BBQ" because of being a professional golfer, best of both worlds!

Mustang Sally
08-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Mustang Sally Tailgating found it's name from our local college team (Mustangs), we tailgate at every game, a little Wilson Pickett on the CD player, and most importantly a number of empty bottles of wine and a bon fire.

Ron_L
08-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Our team name pulls together a few elements.

Captain Ron's; My name is Ron (doh!) and I enjoy boating and am the captain on our regular houseboat vacations on Lake Cumberland, KY. Plus, one of my favorite movies is Captain Ron with Kurt Russel and Martin Short.

Brew; This is a bit of a double entendre... We all enjoy a nice cold beer with our BBQ, so most folks assume that Brew refers to beer, but those who know me (or read my signature :-D) know that my other hobby is coffee and coffee roasting, so the primary meaning of Brew is coffee.

-n-Que; I hope this part is obvious :rolleyes:

JayAre
08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
in a drunken stuper, JR became JayAre...then I started Q'n, and then competing,,, the name was obvious...JayAre-B-Q...

txschutte
08-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Family Tradition BBQ is the family team name used when with cousins, wife, FIL, etc. It also shows a bit of love for Bocephus.

Balls Casten
08-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Smokers Purgatory - When they changed the law in Iowa allowing smoking in bars, then promptly apealed it. One of the TV guys was interviewing a guy smoking outside the bar and how he hoped the apeal would go through. The guy said "But until then everyone is stuck out here in smokers purgatory". I thought it was funny and with the lack of a Grand Champion in 10 years of compeating, we feel like we are stuck in smokers purgatory.

Dale P
08-15-2009, 04:07 AM
I like my Brothers and our Sons. Pork Floyd was already taken.

Jeff_in_KC
08-15-2009, 08:33 AM
We wanted something to identify with our home town. There's a creek flowing through town called "Big Creek". Because of this, in town here, there is a Big Creek Shopping Center, a Big Creek Kennel, a Big Creek Garden Center, a Big Creek Baptist Church and a Big Creek Country Music Show. There may be more. Anyway, we thought of all sorts of things to incorporate a hill (Pleasant Hill) but liked none of them. So Big Creek BBQ it was. Not very original I guess but I liked the sound of it and if I open a restaurant here one day, I'll use the name since I registered it with the Secretary of State!

Bud's BBQ
08-15-2009, 08:51 AM
We had tossed around a lot of names ("In my belly bbq") but none seemed to stick.

"Smokin' Scotsmen" was Tonto's idea - she woke up from a dead sleep with that name on her mind. My dad, a proud Scotsman, had passed shortly before and the team name seemed just right.

By the way, one of our favorates is "Whiskey, women and wibs" - young team that we met at a cooking class. Would love to hear how that name came about :icon_blush:

Ron_L
08-15-2009, 11:09 AM
By the way, one of our favorates is "Whiskey, women and wibs" - young team that we met at a cooking class. Would love to hear how that name came about :icon_blush:

Who was the head cook? Elmer Fudd? :biggrin:

http://www.criticallayouts.com/images/rsgallery/original/elmer-fudd-f12-2.gif

gordo
08-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Came up with Smokers Inc. about 12 years ago....when
I started cooking cookoffs...

Just wanted something simple when filling out contest entry forms...

Hope someday to have enough post to list it here on the Brethren forum..:-D

ps one of the better team names Ive heard comes from a older retired couple...Winnings More Fun...always makes me smile

Smokin Mike
08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Smokin' BBQ Boys, my son at the time was 5, came up with it, he like's helping me, and cooks kid's Q every chance he can.

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
my wife Amy came up with the name based on a yard Gnome that would sit with me and keep me company on long over night cooks( he gernerally brought the beer and other party favors!!). thats the name and I am sticking with it!!

SAL

T.K.
08-16-2009, 10:07 AM
PT's Sweet Heat - The PT are initials from my son & daugther and I like sweet & spicy bbq and the perfect balance of sweet & heat are what the perfect sauce and/or rub should have.

T.K.

RobKC
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Border War Smokers - Chris is a MU grad and I'm a KU grad, so it seemed like a natural.

bodcat
08-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Yard Time BBQ - Back in my college days when I thought someone needed it I would ask them outside for some "Yard Time" and a few people nicknamed me Yard. Luckily I get along with my 2 cookmates and they thought the name sounded good for our team.

Rub
08-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Graduated from UF, big Gator fan. Wanted a tie-in to the Gators without being too obvious so as to not turn away any possible FSU catering gigs (big state rivalry between UF/FSU).
The name of the football field at UF is the "Swamp", so I chose Swamp Boys :)

HUCKS
08-17-2009, 07:22 AM
lightning strike bbq.as i was building my grill under a big oak tree late one afternoon lightning hit the tree i was working under so that is the name i put

Divemaster
08-17-2009, 08:22 AM
I was part of a catering team that feed the NASCAR drivers and crews (at one time we catered for about 35 teams) for a little over 4 years, did all of the real Que along with any thing else that needed to be cooked... It only seemed natural to name it StockCar BBQ after that...

voodoobbqIL
08-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Partners In Swine BBQ, we used to be VooDooBBQ because it seemed like BBQ was a type of voodoo but after a run in with another team at the Royal with the name VooDoo when we were threatened by one of their more lubricated members we decided to change to a MUCH better name, and it refers to my wife and I although most contests you will see me there swining solo.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-17-2009, 09:01 AM
Our weiner dog's name is Buster and he is always camped out by the smoker when it's going, thinking he's getting something. We always call him Buster Dog so we decided to name the team Buster Dog BBQ and have our logo designed around him eating ribs.

Hot Racks and BBQ Stacks
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, my brother Porkchop (Juicy Butts BBQ) picked the name. He has 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters. No one to carry on the tradition. So he helped us start up an all girls bbq team. So, there you have it - Hot Racks and BBQ Stacks. I personally love the name...

paydabill
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Lit and Loaded BBQ - Well I used to cook with my brother and we called ourselves Alan's Grillin Boys which was a tribute to him.

When my brother had to drop out - I did not think it was right to cook under the same name. So, I was looking for a new name; my wife and I was cleaning out some junk and came across a visor that her old softball team name - Lit and Loaded. They were a bunch of drunks that had fun. I thought that I could spin it saying a grill is lit with fire and loaded with food.

Thus the name - Lit and Loaded BBQ. Lately people ask Brian and I which one is Lit and which one is Loaded. We say he is 1/2 lit and I am fully loaded!

Stoke&Smoke
08-17-2009, 10:08 AM
2 Skinny Cooks. Well, if you'd met us, you'd know we were (my wife still is, me, not as much) quite thin when we started. And we liked the idea because of the old saying "never trust a skinny cook". I guess the assumption is that they're skinny cause they don't eat the food they cook.

Except that we do eat our own food, but we do remain thin, mostly by loading and unloading the little cargo trailer we hauled to comps in the past. Hopefully there will be less of that now that we have a pop up

Scottie
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
My wife passed away from cancer a little over 6 years ago. I started a 501c3 in her memory to raise money for cancer research and to assist those that are affected by cancer. She used to wear this Cancer Sucks! button with great pride. It was only natural that I named my team that and I am from Chicago... So any monies that we win from competing, we donate for cancer research...

Smoky River BBQ
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Smoky River BBQ... I have a weekend trailer I use on the Ohio River in Madison, Indiana and have been there for around 15 years. I wanted something with "river" in the name, and this is what I came up with. I also like the Smoky Mountains in Tn., so that is why "Smoky" is spelled the way it is.

warfrat
08-17-2009, 11:01 AM
Our team is myself and my dad...My dad was elected to a public office back in the 80's and during one of his campaign functions, someone played "Wooly Bully" (my last name is Wooley) so that name has kind of always stuck with me, as well as Wooleybooger and a few others- lol. About the time I decided to get into BBQ comps, my dad was voted out (fired) as County Coordinator by a 3-2 vote by our local County Commisioners. (another long story, but to make it short...it was a dirty deal :icon_pissed) So, that's when I decided on the "BBQ Mafia" part because we live in a small town and there's always been controversy about dirty politics, etc. and while my Dad was working for the local Sheriff's office back in the 90's a prominent local business man disappeared and when his vehicle was found in a remote location in the swamps of south GA there was a rumor circulating about us being in the Mafia and don't mess with us or you would end up in a swamp somewhere - lol. We still laugh about all the rumors that circulated -gotta love small town politics.:lol:

BTW- the week after my dad was fired by the county commisioners we cooked the boston butts for the county Thanksgiving luncheon...I wished I could have been there to see those commisioners faces as they were eating when someone told them who cooked the meat- you know they had to be wondering... :wink: lmao

CMALANGA
08-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Bad Ass Competition BBQ Team. It was a carry over from our fire department nicknames when we competed in extrication competitions.

Todd Ras
08-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Donkey Punch BBQ. Our first comp will be in Blue Springs in a few weeks. If anyone is there come stop by as I would love to meet some other Brethren!!

MattG
08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Pot's BBQ. Pot is my daughter’s nickname. We cook & do comps together and I thought it was a good name to go with.

Brauma
08-17-2009, 03:14 PM
We owe our team name to a good friend who never said the cat's meow, it was always the cat's ass. Once we learned to truly cook real BBQ from the wisdom of the guys on this site, our BBQ was the Cat's Ass and there was no doubt about it. When Rick & I were thinking of forming a competition team, Ronnelle suggested using Cat Sass BBQ because his dad (I think) had a boat with that name. We loved it and it stuck.

However, Rick and I are making a business-like decision and we are thinking of changing our team name. We have many friends and family and dedicated supporters who love our team name: Cat Sass BBQ, so this is a hard decision. Believe it or not, this name has a lot of tradition and this decision does not come lightly.

We want to continue to improve, grow, and win and here's the reality: we need sponsors to do this. We simply cannot compete more than twice a year with our given circumstances and salaries. So, we put feelers out so see how potential sponsors felt about attaching their name to Cat Sass BBQ and the response was overwhelmingly negative. So, putting emotion aside, we needed to look at this as a business decision.

Rick & I are not splitting up or restructuring. We will remain a team; we will just compete under a different name. However, Cat Sass will be present at our camp in some form.

We will have one last ride as Cat Sass at Pickin in the Panhandle in West VA on Sept 12. Wish us well.

OK, all that being said, do you all have any suggestions for our new team name? We have something in mind but we will entertain suggestions from you.

Butcher BBQ
08-17-2009, 04:20 PM
I wanted something that tells about me. I have been a meat cutter for over 28 years and now I own and run my own meat processing plant. So the bad wrap the butchers got for many years I would like to change, my saying is " The time has come to trust your Butcher again."

beerguy
08-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I wanted something that tells about me. I have been a meat cutter for over 28 years and now I own and run my own meat processing plant. So the bad wrap the butchers got for many years I would like to change, my saying is " The time has come to trust your Butcher again."

Good stuff!

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
08-17-2009, 06:29 PM
EVERY time I'm smokin' ... and DRINKIN the conversation begins with, "TELL YOU WHAT..." or "Listen, I'm a gunna TELL YOU WHAT..." or..perhaps as an endnote to a statement. "Blah....blah...blah..{insert drunken rhetoric}...and I TELL YOU WHAT..."

Thus, the name...TELL YOU WHAT BBQ. RUB IT. SMOKE IT. PULL IT.
"Win or lose -- we still booze!" Gotta have fun. It's BBQ...which is synonymous with fun.

TELL YOU WHAT BBQ
08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
When I had my team it was named "Dazed and Confused BBQ", named after my love of the Grateful Dead. My catering company is named "Fairway BBQ" because of being a professional golfer, best of both worlds!

Grateful,
Last nite while drivin' home from a comp I was jammin' Bobby..listenin to Other One. "Left a Smokin' crater on my mind..."

I thought, SMOKE ON MY MIND... that is a good team name. Maybe I'll use that as a TELL YOU WHAT offshoot...submit same meats with 2 team names. See the difference!

I guess 3 days of smoked beast, bourbon and Budweiser takes its toll!:eek:

Mike - CSBBBQ
08-17-2009, 08:26 PM
First, without a doubt Cancer Sucks! What a great tribute.

We are CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq. with the motto of Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal Most of the original team had a connection with law enforcement and tend to have to interact with lawyers.. Couple of drinks one night after helping a team with a contest we decided to form our own. Tossed ideas out and thought why not use the three meats... We like it even if we are criminals with our end result frequently :lol:

Diver
08-18-2009, 12:01 AM
The Soundside Smokers - We haven't actually competed yet, but my son and I were talking about possible names and wanted to include our home town and a laid back beach type theme. We live by the Currituck Sound so Soundside kind of fit. Here's the brethren debut of our new logo......Many thanks to Patrick for the logo.

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/uu23/acooldiver/comp%20practice/soundside.jpg

Tweedle
08-18-2009, 09:47 AM
Being new to competition BBQ it was kind hard to come up with a name my wife and I could agree upon that wasnít already taken. Then one afternoon after coming home well after feeding time and jumping into the pig pen to retrieve the feed bucket I got my calf bitten by very hungry pig. My Wife proclaimed "Wow thatís an angry pig" and I thought it sounded like an appropriate name so it stuck and Angry Pig was born. On a side note we will be competing in our first Comp this Sept at the Harvard Fall Festival.

Lake Dogs
08-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Lake Dogs - Live on a large lake, most everything we do centers around living on the lake. After having many labrador retrievers, we know what "lake dogs" are, and as people go, we're definitely Lake Dogs. We lounge at the lake, in the lake, swim, boat. We're all "Lake Dogs" around here.

heinz57
08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
"Next Year's Winner"

I had been cooking at the Royal for 10 or so years, and one Saturday morning, I was walking back from the Showers, (ok, more like stagering). I was looking at all the trophies & ribbons on display from the other teams, and kept thinking "Next year!" Next year we won't party quite so much, and concentrate more on competeing. We'll win next year. So after my partner bailed on me. I regrouped with a couple of other guys & changed out name to Next Year's Winner-we're smokin' optimism!

SmokeInDaEye
08-18-2009, 01:33 PM
My team is Smoke In Da Eye because that's what my tee shirts and website say.

In 2000 or so I decided to throw a barbecue party for my new neighbors since they were always curious about the smoke coming from my yard on the weekends. When I was making the invite, I wanted to put 1st Annual something. Then 1st Annual Smoke In Da Eye BBQ Block Party popped to mind and I've used it ever since.

MAsQue
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Back in 2003, my father had recently passed away and my sister and I were looking for things to get my mother out and involved in. We went to the BBQ event in Eisenhower Park (I'm not even sure it was Grill Kings that year), and my mother loved it, so we decided to get involved. We got together with my cousins and my godson (who was into cooking at the time) and entered our first contest. What my mother really liked to do was hand out samples and chat with the people who stopped to taste, so we would make up pans of her baked beans, corn bread and potatoes and she would hand out plates. SInce we needed a team name, and it was a family venture, and my mother was the matriarch of the family, we all wore shirts that said "Ma's Que Crew" and she wore a shirt that simply said "Ma". After she passed away, we more or less kept the name for sentimental reasons. When I started doing a little catering on the side, I used the "Ma's" name to play off whatever familiarity people might have with us from local events.

The logo comes from a friend who modified a pig to look like Mammy Yokum, who in no wise resembles my mother, except she is diminutive and tough as nails.

Harbormaster
08-18-2009, 04:02 PM
In 1986 I purchased my home in Wyocena, WI - population about 700. I added an adjacent lot in 1994 just before I got married.

Those two properties are on the shores of the Duck Creek/Wyocena Mill Pond/Wyona Lake system (it's about 8 feet deep) and we have always called it the Wyocena Yacht Club. It's a poor, old town, and the lake is too small to put a yacht on. It just seemed like a good joke to me.

So, when I got into this it was a natural - Wyocena Yacht Club Q Crew. My avatar is our logo. The colorful flags are the maritime flags "W", "Y", and "C".

Slamdunkpro
08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Well I just decided to jump in the fray, cooking my first comp at Front Royal in October. I picked Aporkalypse Now since I tend to do the "carpet bomb" style of BBQ (case of ribs, case of butts, case of briskets) figuring something will hit its target:eek:
http://www.slamdunkpro.com/Resources/Aporkalypse-now-team-logo.jpg

Mike - CSBBBQ
08-18-2009, 04:10 PM
This is a great thread:-D Forgot to post our logo...

The_Kapn
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
There is a long and boring back story which I will spare you from.
Goes back to Sebring in 2005.

Brent and I used to "Flirt with Disaster" with some of our recipes.
Quit that chit--embarrassing and don't pay worth a darn.

Now, I am "Flitrin' with Financial Disaster" at about every event.
Just spent a ton of bucks on a new trailer.
FBA events are "pricey", to say the least.
Lots and lots of miles and motel bills accumulating.
Retirement accounts are cleaned out--but they were for retirement--right? :oops:

Besides, I like the song!!!!

Alexa RnQ
08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Choosing a team name was SO hard.

For our veryfirstever comp (where we got stomped like a narc at a biker rally), we were Casa di DiVQ:

http://www.divaherself.com/bbq/DiVQ.jpg

While that name was dear to us, as it refers to how we met on the Neenernet as well as referencing VQ's heritage (both Italian and Weber), it made NO sense whatsoever to anybody who didn't know the backstory, so sadly it was scrapped.

Then the search for a new team name was exhaustively conducted. It seemed like every good name had been taken years ago, and every possible play on butts, bones and racks had been made.

You know that word game where you end random phrases with "in bed" or "in your pants"? It got to be like that, only with "BBQ". We'd say absolutely anything, and end it with "BBQ" to see if it sounded like a team name. http://www.divaherself.com/funny/blank.gif

One day, in a fit of frustration, VQ came up with this:

http://www.divaherself.com/bbq/screwitlogo.jpg

We both loved it, and still want to compete under it some day, but regretfully decided we'd have to go with something more marketable.

So we ended up with this:

http://www.divaherself.com/bbq/RnQbizcard1.jpg

It says that on the business cards now, so we'll probably have to keep it for a while, but we're still doing some recreational name-shopping. On the way home from Pueblo, we saw a towing rig that immediately made me want to adopt the name "Short Bus BBQ"...

Rub
08-18-2009, 06:39 PM
On the way home from Pueblo, we saw a towing rig that immediately made me want to adopt the name "Short Bus BBQ"...
Hate to tell you, but I saw "Short Bus BBQ" at the Royal last year.
They even had the bus!

Alexa RnQ
08-18-2009, 06:41 PM
...but did they have white football helmets with blue stars on the sides, and no facemasks, and did they yell "Yay!"? It would have been a natural for us http://www.divaherself.com/funny/shiner.gif

Cigarbque
08-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Finding a team name was hard. I am a bow hunter and there is a saying in the hunting world "Bring home the bacon and the bone" so I ended up with that. My kids loved it so it stuck. Plus everything is better with bacon.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss352/Cigarbque/BBQlogo2.jpg

Ron_L
08-18-2009, 07:52 PM
One day, in a fit of frustration, VQ came up with this:

http://www.divaherself.com/bbq/screwitlogo.jpg

I LOVE that one! Can you imagine the poor competition organizer calling that one out at the awards ceremony? Priceless! :biggrin:

Vince RnQ
08-18-2009, 09:04 PM
I think having all the team members in Chairman Mao jackets would be great at the awards ceremony.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E9HuVmghdUQ/RnisKCcl2zI/AAAAAAAAAeM/-MDpfSHD3LE/s400/Mao%2Bimmitation.jpg

Jacked UP BBQ
08-19-2009, 09:00 AM
Ocean County Pig Assassins - We started as a group of friends from all over Ocean County NJ. Pig Assassins came from one of the father in laws who tried our food. I guess he didn't like it!!. Fark him it paying off today.

Jacked UP BBQ - We came up with this name because most of us are fat bastards and we get this way by eating BBQ. So we don't get jacked up on drugs, steroids, or anything else. We get jacked up on BBQ

snoutsfeathersandhorns
08-20-2009, 06:53 PM
SnoutsFeathersandHorns BBQ Team is the 3rd try at a name. It started with a lame tribute to being a firefighter when I did Hillsborough a few years ago. I could not cook by committee so I started my own with a buddy. Then came Double Deckers since I talked him into it on our decks over many many many beers(he works for a beer distributer). Over more beers we were throwing names out and went from funny to serious to ridiculas when we settled on Snouts Feathers and Horns.

Oh yeah this is Fireman Bill from Keansburg

Bentley
08-20-2009, 11:23 PM
The very first contest I cooked I was a one man team. Used the name LWNNA (Lights Weights Need Not Apply) Did not go over to well.

Next couple of contest, including the 2003 Royal was Big Belly BBQ, had team mates by that time and that name was shut down...Any anyone that knows me knows that name really does not fit anyway!

So about 2004 I think...came up with...

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n90/lwnna/Avatars/BBTBBanner-1.jpg

Kind of a double entendre.

Cant get my team mates to get behind the one I really wanna use...

Wrong Hole BBQ!

smokincracker
08-21-2009, 10:41 AM
CRACKER

There are three main theories about how the word developed. But none of the three conclusively show how and why the Cracker became applied to Floridians.
Theory One: Cracker comes from a Celtic word meaning braggart or loudmouth. Shakespeare used this sense of the word in King John. But the theory doesn'tít explain why the word in this sense would be applied to the usually taciturn folk of the Florida backwoods.
Theory Two: The word comes from the practice of "corncracking" or grinding dried corn for use as grits and meal, as in the lyrics of the folk song Blue Tailed Fly, "Jimmy crack corn." When used in this sense, a Cracker is somebody who canít afford any other food. But this theory doesn'tít answer the question of how the word got applied almost exclusively to folks in rural areas of south Georgia and Florida. And, by the 1800s, the name "Cracker" wasnít used to describe only impoverished settlers.
Theory three: The name comes from the sound of whips used to drive cattle and oxen. Florida cattlemen cracked whips to flush their stock out of the palmetto scrub while settlers used whips to spur on oxen that pulled their carts and wagons. Cracker has been used in this sense since the early 1800s. This is the most popular theory today. But it doesnít explain why people were being called Crackers for centuries before Florida cattlemen began working in the scrub lands.
Different areas of the state embrace different theories. For example, the corncracker theory prevails in the Panhandle and along the Georgia border. In those areas, Cracker is considered an insult.
Meanwhile, the whip cracker theory is popular in Central Florida. Cattle raisers in particular are proud to identify themselves as Crackers.

Thus I am from Central Florida
But a variation of the braggart theory developed during the Civil Rights movement of the late 1950s and 60s. Cracker began to be associated with opinionated, ignorant whites who could easily be incited to violence. In many urban areas throughout the state, "Cracker " still means "bigot."
"Itís a very interesting thing," "There are us people who are proud of the term. Then there are people who are very offended by the term."

They can kiss my arss!!!

Crackers live in rural areas. Historically, they have been self-sufficient, growing their own vegetables, hunting or raising their own meat and building their own houses.
But the houses they built during their heyday werenít necessarily the large, clapboard homes with the wraparound porches that now are called "cracker houses."
A real Cracker house most likely would have been a small log cabin. Often, the houses looked like two cabins, connected by a roofed-over porch called a dog trot.

A GUIDE TO CRACKERESE
Here are words and phrases used by Crackers over the centuries.
Catchdogs - Cracker cattle-herding dogs trained to literally "catch" a cow and hold its ear or nose in its teeth until a cowman arrived.
Chittlins - Cracker version of chitterlings, or hog innards, cleaned and cooked.
Conchs - Key West Crackers.
Cooter - A freshwater soft-shell turtle eaten by Crackers.
Corn Pone - A "dressed-up" hoecake, made from the standard cornmeal, but with milk instead of water used in the batter. Cone pone differs from cornbread in that the former is fried and the latter is baked.
Cracklin - Fried hog fat used for food, sometimes mixed into meal to make cracklin cornbread.
Croker sack - Burlap gunny sack sometimes used for clothing.
Curlew - Pink spoonbills hunted for food and for their plumes.
Drag - A rawhide whip used by Crackers for driving cattle or wagon oxen.
Fatback - Called fatback because this is exactly where it comes from - off the back of a hog. It was cut in small squares and put in cooking pots to flavor beans and other vegetables. Sometimes, it was roasted until it became crunchy and eaten like popcorn for a snack. Lard was made by boiling the fatback and straining it through fine cloth.
Fetch - To get, as in to "fetch" some water.
Grits - A principal Cracker staple made from dried and coarsely ground corn, used in place of potatoes, never as a cereal. Hominy grits, not to be confused with hominy corn, is a Northern label for a coarser grain of ground corn.
Hoecake - Primitive bread cake made of cornmeal, salt and water and cooked in an iron griddle or skillet. It is said that these cakes were once baked on a hoe held over an open fire.
Hominy - Whole grains of white corn treated with lye and boiled for food.
Literd - A hot fire started with fat pine.
Low-bush lightning - Cracker term for moonshine-liquor made and smuggled during Prohibition.
Marshtackie - A small horse with a narrow chest, prized by cowmen for their smooth ride, durability and quick maneuverability. Descendants of the horses brought to Florida by the Spanish, they are adapted to the Florida wilderness.
Pilau - Any dish of meat and rice cooked together, like a chicken pilau. Pronounced "per-loo" by Crackers.
Piney-woods rooter - Wild hog and a regular part of the Cracker diet.
Poultices - Medicinal salves made with materials such as soap, fat meat, chewing tobacco, chopped onion, scraped Irish potato and wet baking soda.
Pull - To take a hard drink from a liquor jug.
Rot gut - Bad whiskey.
Sawmill chicken - Salt pork.
Scrub chicken - Gopher tortoise, once a Cracker delicacy, now illegal to take.
Scrub cows - Cracker cattle bred to withstand the tough conditions of the Florida range. They are descendants of original Spanish cattle introduced to Florida in 1521.
Swamp cabbage - The tender heart of Sabal palm, cut and boiled like cabbage.
Store-boughten - Cracker materials which could only be purchased from a store.
Truck garden - A plot garden which was grown to produce a surplus of vegetables for sale to local grocery stores, etc.
Varmit - The Cracker version of varmint, or any small animal, especially rodents.

Poker Smoker
08-21-2009, 01:23 PM
We're from da Bayou.
We play Poker an we own a smoker.

Bayou Poker Smokers

n-2-que
08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
We wanted something small enough to go on a license plate we went from

In To Barbeque

to just

N2Que

PS we are looking at revamp of our logo back then we was going to just go by n2q with a lang... lang never happened LOL

trohrs123
08-22-2009, 08:52 AM
My brother and I used to play on the same dart team. After the regular games we would stick around to take other players money:wink::twisted:. Since our names are Tim and Tom we would hold our spot on the board as T N T. Considering our love of all things hard rock and heavy metal particularly AC/DC , TNT Dynamite BBQ came quite quickly.

trekmstr
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Grillin' Fools - i grill / smoke all year long. theres no way i could wait until spring to have all of that goodness. i even do the thanksgiving turkey on a weber kettle w/ rotisserie attachment.
i have a nice big covered porch that is on the east side of the house (weather comes in from the west) so the weather main element i have to deal with is temp and a little wind (but only when it's really windy) rain and snow are no problem (oh what a dream to have it so for comps)
so some people think I'm nuts (or a fool):-D when i tell them I'm going to be putting the flames to something when we are expecting a snow Storm and 10 -15 degree weather.

Yakfishingfool
08-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Oh It'z BBQ...a play on our last name. Owitz. The Pig in the logo is from hom ealone when he screams. Looks like and OHHHHHHHH! Tried a lot with yak fishing and boating and water and even the catskills, but this seemed to make sens e as no one ever knows how to pronounce our name but have no problem with moscowitz or horowitz, etc.

Yakfishingfool
08-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Our official logo..

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo351/msofnp/miscellaneous/oh2.jpg?t=1251035176

Odis Wilkinson
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I had been trying to come up with a name for several months. Where it came from I really do not know but The Pork Jesters came out of my mouth and I thought it was good enough.

Od