PDA

View Full Version : judge and critique my chicken

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 09:24 AM
Please let me know what you think. It is not my best chicken ever but did not deserve some of the scores it recevied.

Rub
08-13-2009, 09:38 AM
I've not judged but I'd go an 8 at least. Looks tasty!

big brother smoke
08-13-2009, 09:41 AM
looks tasty and agree with Rub 8

acorette
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
Tastes like monitor from here... Yuck.

rweller
08-13-2009, 09:47 AM
From the apperance only I think I would give it a 8 probably. It looks pretty good. Maybe the pieces could be a little more uniform in size but other than that I don't see anything wrong with it.

McClung
08-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Trim off that little tab on the bottom of the center piece. More uniform on the size. I would go with 8 pieces so as to even out the box. Being nit pickey as it looks real good!

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Solid 8 from me!

The Anchorman
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
What did you get????

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 10:17 AM

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 10:19 AM
I understand maybe the two sixes and thanks for the eights, but the farking wtf????

Skip
08-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Ok I wanted to post three times and walked away because i didn't want to judge a friends box poorly. knowing you though I figured you would be mad if I didn't so here it goes.

I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma. To me the color turns me off a bit which could be the picture. To explain the color isn't "bright" and inviting it has a dullness even though its shiny. The pieces are a bit haphazard in placement which would immediately drop you out of an 8-9 from me. I look for a clean skin as well. I look for that nice white skin below the dressing. Yours shows me a lot of speckling which I immediately question what it is which takes me away from the meat and into speculation. It seems to be large pepper grind or seeds. Possible from the rub or sauce. Thats being super critical of it.

Now don't get me wrong cause I'd still be proud of the entry and would love to know the other scores.

Ron_L
08-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma.

We're talking about appearance, right? Aroma has nothing to do with appearance. Or am I missing something?

OC, I'd say an 8 as well. I'm not sure about the arrangement of the pieces in the box. That lone piece at the bottom and the two large green areas keep drawing my eye away from the rest of the box. Also, and this may just be the pictures, but the sauce looks too thick to me.

Having said that, I hate giving out scores based on pictures. The picture is there to stare at and it is so easy to find little things that I probably wouldn't have noticed in the 20 seconds or so that the box is in front of me in a real judging situation.

Scottie
08-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I scored it a 5... I couldn't really give it a good score. The damn thing was so shiny, I got a serious glare. Now I am seeing those little white dots in my vision.... :roll:

Nothing worse than a 8 in my book...

Alexa RnQ
08-13-2009, 10:52 AM
My question on seeing such inconsistent scores would be, what was the CBJ percentage at that contest? And were these experienced CBJs, or newly-minted ones from a class the night before? Not that I'd always rush first to blame the judges, far from it -- but when somebody's dishing a 5 on appearance on the same entry that there's 8s...

Bushwacker
08-13-2009, 10:57 AM
Well first off, let me say that I am not a judge, so not sure what they are lookin for here. I would say that to me, looks like they were heavely sauced, prolly just the camara pic. also noticed right off the different sizes , Other then that, I'll be right over to eat them along with some sides. I'd be proud of them If I turned them out.

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 10:58 AM
8 here...

Good point above by DivaHerself..

Skip
08-13-2009, 11:12 AM
We're talking about appearance, right? Aroma has nothing to do with appearance. Or am I missing something?

I disagree. The smell becomes part of the presentation. When that box opens that the first sense stimulated. If it smelled like dog doo would you give it an 8?

Lake Dogs
08-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Damn judges.... Scum I tell 'ya. Actually, if this box came across exactly as shown
(note: food gets moved/squashed in boxes between the time you arrange it and the
time it's opened for judging) on my table, initial look, I'm thinking 8. Shiny or not shiny
to me isn't a turn-off; but apparently to some it is. The speckles aren't a turn-off to
me either, although to one guy above it was. It looks (as best I can tell) like there's
a thumb print on one of them. You know, you can present the same entry next time and you'll get completely different scores. Try not to be too critical of yourself.

The Anchorman
08-13-2009, 11:48 AM
7-8
the only thing that I would say in critique is the non uniformity of the pieces, thats all.
Specs=rub whats wrong with that?

Aroma with presentation, well if it did smell like dog doo then you would call for the rep YIKES!
other than that...

musicmanryann
08-13-2009, 11:50 AM
I disagree. The smell becomes part of the presentation. When that box opens that the first sense stimulated. If it smelled like dog doo would you give it an 8?

I would if the appearance was excellent, as that is what you are judging. I see your point that the aroma can subconsciously affect how you score each category, just as the appearance affects persception of taste/tenderness, but I don't think it should enter the conscious realm to the point where you need to smell it to give an appropriate appearance score.

I would give it an 8. The sauce looks a tiny bit uneven, and the front piece to me is a little awkward all by it's lonesome, but I do wish I had Tastavision installed on my monitor so I could take a bite. ;-)

ique
08-13-2009, 12:10 PM
8, not perfect but close

ique
08-13-2009, 12:11 PM

Aroma should be part of your taste score not appearance

Scottie
08-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Aroma should be part of your taste score not appearance

Chris, maybe you could show us a picture of your first place chicken to give us a point of reference? :twisted:

I agree about aroma being part of taste and not appearance...

heinz57
08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Ok I wanted to post three times and walked away because i didn't want to judge a friends box poorly. knowing you though I figured you would be mad if I didn't so here it goes.

I would rate you a 6-7 depending on aroma. To me the color turns me off a bit which could be the picture. To explain the color isn't "bright" and inviting it has a dullness even though its shiny. The pieces are a bit haphazard in placement which would immediately drop you out of an 8-9 from me. I look for a clean skin as well. I look for that nice white skin below the dressing. Yours shows me a lot of speckling which I immediately question what it is which takes me away from the meat and into speculation. It seems to be large pepper grind or seeds. Possible from the rub or sauce. Thats being super critical of it.

Now don't get me wrong cause I'd still be proud of the entry and would love to know the other scores.

Will the real Judge #3 please stand up?

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Appearance is just what it is.. how it looks... you cannot look at smell.

the sense of taste and smell often work in conjuntion with each other when processed by nervous system. Still they are different.

I don't think smell should weigh in on the scores in either category. lots of things smell bad but can look and taste great.

ique
08-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Chris, maybe you could show us a picture of your first place chicken to give us a point of reference? :twisted:

I agree about aroma being part of taste and not appearance...

Honestly nothing special about the appearance, taste and tenderness scores have been carrying it. Plus I'm afraid I'd get bashed for it being too shiny. :roll:

Rub
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Also in regards to smell, how do you REALLY know what/whose you are truly smelling in a room full of bbq-laden boxes?

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Honestly nothing special about the appearance, taste and tenderness scores have been carrying it. Plus I'm afraid I'd get bashed for it being too shiny. :roll:

thank god you didn't hit my table. I saw your shiny arse chicken, you would have been slammed. I would have given your chix a nine all day.

tonto1117
08-13-2009, 12:28 PM
7 or 8 here. Probably an 8 in person as I know the camera tends to sku things.... also I think what looks like a thumbprint in the pic might not be....

Skip
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Also in regards to smell, how do you REALLY know what/whose you are truly smelling in a room full of bbq-laden boxes?

When that box opens you know where the smell comes from. :lol::lol::lol:

Main Entry: ap·pear·ance
Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)s
Function: noun
1 : the action or process of becoming evident to the senses

Slamdunkpro
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
7 or 8; probably an 8 in person.. I think even #'s of pieces score better.

Skip
08-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Will the real Judge #3 please stand up?

Actually if you notice the scores i would've been judge 2 or 4. :-D

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM

Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)sn

I humbly stand corrected Prince Consort.. though maybe KCBS should further define for clarification.. much like parted pork. :biggrin:

Dale P
08-13-2009, 12:43 PM
maybe not your best but looks pretty good to me Looks way better than a 5. Some Judges are just brutal. My thinking, getting past tough Judges is where most of the luck part comes into play.

Let the judges drink beer and all of our scores would go up. :icon_smil

Skip
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I humbly stand corrected Prince Consort.. though maybe KCBS should further define for clarification.. much like parted pork. :biggrin:

Ya think so? Both seem pretty self evident to me. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I think they said to take in the aroma at my judges class when talking about appearance.

ique
08-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Pronunciation: &-'pir-&n(t)s

appearance (plural appearances (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/appearances))

The act of appearing (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/appear) or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye. His sudden appearance surprised me.
A thing seen;

Sorry, nothing about SMELL or Noses in any definition of appearance I can find

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 12:49 PM
Hmmm... Who is right ??? :confused:

I think Sled should be the tie-breaker.

Skip
08-13-2009, 01:00 PM
appearance (plural appearances (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/appearances))

The act of appearing (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/appear) or coming into sight; the act of becoming visible to the eye. His sudden appearance surprised me.
A thing seen;

Sorry, nothing about SMELL or Noses in any definition of appearance I can find

ap⋅pear⋅ance  /əˈpɪərhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəns/ http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled Pronunciation [uh-peer-uhhttp://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngns] http://cache.lexico.com/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/Spell_pron_key.html) Show IPA

Use appearance in a Sentence (http://ask.reference.com/web?q=Use+appearance+in+a+Sentence&qsrc=2892&o=101993)

–noun 1.the act or fact of appearing, as to the eye or mind or before the public:

The mind receives stimuli from the senses. Sight sound smell taste and touch. :lol:

ique
08-13-2009, 01:02 PM
The mind receives stimuli from the senses. Sight sound smell taste and touch. :lol:

I guess this means in addition to sight and smell, I should touch it... and also listen to see if the chicken whispers its appearance score to me.

Skip
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I guess this means in addition to sight and smell, I should touch it... and also listen to see if the chicken whispers its appearance score to me.

well we aren't allowed to touch it but if you are the Chicken Whisperer please teach me your skill. :lol::lol::lol:

Ron_L
08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
We can quote dictionary.com, etc. all day long. What matters is how appearance is defined in the world of KCBS judging. While there are different interpretations of everything, here is one reference that applies to this specific circumstance.

This is from a transcript of Ed Roith's KCBS Judging class (http://old.cbbqa.org/judging/EdRoithCBJClass.html)...

Scoring appearance

[0:10:31] When it comes to the table and they open that container and you look at it, remember that this is a meat contest. You are judging the meat. If that meat looks so appetizing and looks so mouth-watering that you cannot wait to get into it, that to me would be a nine. But if it looks like it was just thrown into the container in no special order, arranged very sloppily, and you were out at a restaurant, you'd say "Gee, I've heard so much about this place. They don't care how they present it," then that way, you would judge down accordingly. Because if there is no care taken, then presentation doesn't mean too much, does it?
[0:11:10] So it is in the eye of the beholder, as far as presentation is concerned.
and...

Chicken appearance

[0:16:53] Now another thing that you may see in presentation is when chicken comes in.
See six pieces when scoring appearance

[0:17:00] Here is where we may run into a little problem sometimes, in convincing a cook that there must be six identifiable pieces in the container.
[0:17:14] I've seen cooks take half a chicken, lay it in the container, lift up the skin, cut the breast portion only into six pieces, lay the skin back over it, put it into the container, because it looks nice as a half a chicken.
[0:17:29] Well remember, you as a judge cannot touch that meat to turn it, to look at it, or even smell it, until it gets on your judging plate (which you will have today to put the meat on).
The emphasis is mine.

Considering that we are talking about KCBS judging in this thread, this is good enough for me. Appearance in this instance is defined as sight, not smell, touch or any other sense.

Diva
08-13-2009, 01:27 PM

:lol::biggrin::lol::biggrin:

Big Mike's BBQ
08-13-2009, 01:57 PM
I know this is a meat contest and garnish rules always take a beating, but you have to admit that the garnish does play a factor. That said I have found I score better in appearance if there is a green line all the way around the meat. I see white next to the meat. Depending of how different the picture looks from the real thing, I could see the 6's. The 5 though is just not right, that is one judge that thinks highly of themselves.

Big Mike

acorette
08-13-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm with Chris... If the definition of appearance includes sense beyond sight, I plan to poke and lick and sniff each entry to test and judge the appearance - even before we are given our sample.

Hogwash. Appearance score is based upon sight only.

Skip
08-13-2009, 02:18 PM
I'm with Chris... If the definition of appearance includes sense beyond sight, I plan to poke and lick and sniff each entry to test and judge the appearance - even before we are given our sample.

Hogwash. Appearance score is based upon sight only.

hog·wash (hôghttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifwôshhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif, -whttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/obreve.gifsh, hhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/obreve.gifghttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gif-)
n. 1. Worthless, false, or ridiculous speech or writing; nonsense.

MEANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:icon_sad:icon_sad:icon_sad

Oh and there are two definitions of appearance posted here that both include sense beyond sight. So I hope you are serious and poke, prod, lick and sniff your next category. :lol::lol::lol:

Mo-Dave
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Comment card mode. Looks great love the shine I would give it a 9 except for the front thigh kind of distract the eye and of course its two shiny so you get a 5. Seriously everyone always assumes the low scores are from loser judges but consider the high scores could be given by soft touch judges. So how you going to argue that.

So your scores are close to normal and you just experienced truly subjective judging which is the nature of the beast. Having said that I would never give less than a 6 unless things were horribly wrong. Smell would have absolutely nothing to do with my appearance score, how could you be sure you were not sniffing one of the other entries on your plate or even from another table. Ok you get a 7. I was telling you the truth about the front thigh but thats just me.
Dave

Bentley
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
OK, good warm up for Fairfield, CA this weekend.

Judge the meat, judge the meat, judge the meat...Piece's are very uniform, great color with uniformity, too much sauce to me...Sauce should not effect apperance score?, maybe taste score? Ahhh, the farken rigirous demans they put on me as a CBJ!

I would give the box an 8.

The_Kapn
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
It is really interesting the way these threads take tangents.
Judging is such an emotional issue.
I wish it was not that way, but it is.

Those look really fine to me.

If I was gonna suggest any improvement, I would have tried 2 thighs across the bottom just to accent the great looking meat.
Might have been even better, but maybe not. :oops:

But, great looking as they are.

TIM

QN
08-13-2009, 04:08 PM
It is a MEAT contest. You are supposed to judge the appearance of the MEAT.
Just from the photo, this chicken was at least an 8 if not a 9.

KC_Bobby
08-13-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm judgin' Saturday and hope to reward cooks with a fair share of 9's.

No sixes, come on nines - STOP
-Press your Luck mod

Scottie
08-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Damn Bobby. Let me know the next contest you are judging!!! I'm willing to travel... :roll:

KC_Bobby
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
Scottie, the cook has to do more then just cook it before it will come (field of dreams mod) but I love to give 9's to those who earn them when I eat some damn fine Q.

Butcher BBQ
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
It is nice seeing other boxes, but when I seen this box the chicken looked like a score of an 8, the presentation of the entire box, the layout brings it down to a 7. I didn't like the shingled look of the thighs just to put a single one up front.

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 08:47 PM
It is nice seeing other boxes, but when I seen this box the chicken looked like a score of an 8, the presentation of the entire box, the layout brings it down to a 7. I didn't like the shingled look of the thighs just to put a single one up front.

Doesn't seem right to drop a point for layout after you noting the chicken looked like an 8.

Butcher BBQ
08-13-2009, 08:54 PM
Doesn't seem right to drop a point for layout after you noting the chicken looked like an 8.

appearance is appearance. If the lay out isn't important then how would you score it if it was just all throw in the middle of the box all in a mound?

lunchlady
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
tell me again... smell affects the appearance score?

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? no offense Skip but come on man!

FWIW, I smell everything I judge, but not BEFORE it is on my judging plate
(while in taste mode)

MilitantSquatter
08-13-2009, 09:04 PM
appearance is appearance. If the lay out isn't important then how would you score it if it was just all throw in the middle of the box all in a mound?

I understand your point, but I think there's should be a difference between haphazard/sloppy vs. neatly arranged (which this is).

I guess this is what always makes this hobby interesting..

Butcher BBQ
08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
I understand your point, but I think there's should be a difference between haphazard/sloppy vs. neatly arranged (which this is).

I guess this is what always makes this hobby interesting..

Yes your right, but if this is what I think maybe this is why that one judge is a 5. Maybe he was a 6 and went to a 5, and you know also someone else reading this post will take a second look at a box this weekend and maybe correct it and get a few extra points. :idea:

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 09:26 PM
I am going to present the same box I think this weekend and see what happens. I might add another thigh sideways up front. I am trying to do different from the norm, it has been working great for me in other categories but this category gets me everytime. I wonder if they are falling off before they get to see them.

SmokeInDaEye
08-13-2009, 09:33 PM
tell me again... smell affects the appearance score?

ARE YOU SERIOUS???? no offense Skip but come on man!

FWIW, I smell everything I judge, but not BEFORE it is on my judging plate
(while in taste mode)

Another reason I won't try judging for a long time. Too hard to do it right.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-13-2009, 09:35 PM
I will never judge, I don't want to live on immodium and tums for a week after.

SmokeInDaEye
08-13-2009, 09:37 PM
I am going to present the same box I think this weekend and see what happens. I might add another thigh sideways up front. I am trying to do different from the norm, it has been working great for me in other categories but this category gets me everytime. I wonder if they are falling off before they get to see them.

Stick with it if you believe it has worked. You saw my last pork box that ended up towards the bottom. Some times you take a hit but ya keep on coming at em with what works.

Bentley
08-13-2009, 09:51 PM

By the apperance of how the meat looks.

Muzzlebrake
08-13-2009, 10:44 PM
Skip, Dude are you serious? lol you make me laugh bro!

I've never had a box presented to me when I judged that was close enough for me to smell in a room FULL of BBQ, what are you a farking bloodhound? I dont get it, does the table captain call a huddle so everyone gets a whiff when he opens the box?

i too smell before I taste but like the lady said after its on my plate. I'd be getting pissed if somebody sticks their snoz into the box before I get my piece.

Skip
08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Skip, Dude......what are you a farking bloodhound?

Actually I do have a very keen sense of smell.

Yes I can tell which is which and yes if BBQ passes my nose and is pleasing I guess I mark on that. :lol::lol::lol:

Mo-Dave
08-14-2009, 12:57 AM

Yes I can tell which is which and yes if BBQ passes my nose and is pleasing I guess I mark on that. :lol::lol::lol:

I know your are right about this because I am sitting here staring at your avatar and I swear I can smell it.:roll:
Dave

CivilWarBBQ
08-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Wow Skip.

I really hope no instructor said your nose could be used when judging appearance in a KCBS contest. To do so is absolutely NOT adhering to the standard judging criteria, any more than using your ears when judging tenderness would be. Hopefully you are just pulling our leg, if not, I'm afraid you've done a disservice to any entries you have scored in the past.

As scent is closely linked to taste you have an argument there, but for presentation? No way.

Muzzlebrake
08-14-2009, 08:24 AM

the only keen sense you have is your sense of humor!!!

HBMTN
08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I would be border line 8-9, and what is tipping the balance between the 8 and 9 is the one thigh down below. I think other wise it is a 9 for me. Either way I'd like to have a piece of that chicken about right now!

Skip
08-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I took the class to understand judging. I have no time to judge since I compete. Think I have judged three times. A backyard rib comp a Kids Q and a grilling event.

Ford
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I usually stay out of these nowdays but I'm surprised there's not more discussion on the 7th piece being sideways. I've talked with judges and other cooks for a few years now about presentation and for chicken especially it comes back to a recognized pattern. Also it seems that judges prefer thighs presented with the bone ends facing them and 3 across. Having said that I have experimented with 7 in a box (with some success) and I do 2 on either side bones toward judges and 3 in the middle bones at 90 degrees to the rest. When the chicken is right it looks great and is very eye appealing. It all ties together into each other.

I’m not sure on the stacking being a good idea. Maybe you can find smaller thighs.

As far as score my initial impression was What is THAT??? So it can’t be a 9. Second impression is what’s all the green space in the box, couldn’t he cook more chicken?? As everybody says it doesn’t deserve a 5 but then again as a cook I figure any cook that knows what they are doing should never get a 6 in appearance. I’d probably have given it an 8.

As an aside I’ve been told when landscaping the yard to use odd numbers and do a pattern that completes itself.

Bentley
08-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Is there a difference between apperance and presentation?

Which is supposed to be judged?

Stoke&Smoke
08-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Is there a difference between apperance and presentation?

Which is supposed to be judged?

Might depend on the sanctioning organization, but if it's KCBS, you are judged on appearance, not presentation.

Bud's BBQ
08-15-2009, 08:56 AM
I usually stay out of these nowdays but I'm surprised there's not more discussion on the 7th piece being sideways. I've talked with judges and other cooks for a few years now about presentation and for chicken especially it comes back to a recognized pattern. Also it seems that judges prefer thighs presented with the bone ends facing them and 3 across. Having said that I have experimented with 7 in a box (with some success) and I do 2 on either side bones toward judges and 3 in the middle bones at 90 degrees to the rest. When the chicken is right it looks great and is very eye appealing. It all ties together into each other.

I’m not sure on the stacking being a good idea. Maybe you can find smaller thighs.

As far as score my initial impression was What is THAT??? So it can’t be a 9. Second impression is what’s all the green space in the box, couldn’t he cook more chicken?? As everybody says it doesn’t deserve a 5 but then again as a cook I figure any cook that knows what they are doing should never get a 6 in appearance. I’d probably have given it an 8.

As an aside I’ve been told when landscaping the yard to use odd numbers and do a pattern that completes itself.

Geez Ford, can't quite picture what you are describing - a picture would help :icon_cool

See you next week

Chris Nickelson
08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Taste's like Chit! I tried to lick the screen and only got dust!!!

lol

Ford
08-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Geez Ford, can't quite picture what you are describing - a picture would help :icon_cool

See you next week
As I cook by myself there's never time for pics. Oh well, you can guess. And you don't need help anymore, I need to start keeping my secrets.

butts
08-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I hate to comment because I'm sure that I'll be thrown to the fire...but here it is!

7 and maybe 8 on a good day (above average). I'm not a judge but I've been shafted by many that are. The chicken looks good...but...I've found that KCBS judges will judge the box and not just the meat! Symmetry seems to work well with the judges for me and neither the box or the chicken is symmetrical? The garnish looks great but there is just a little too much garnish and not enough chicken at first glance (and that may be the only glance you get). Again not a judge and just trying to give an honest answer to the question asked based on my experience and how I've been judged in the past.

CajunSmoker
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

Did you try it?

Jacked UP BBQ
08-16-2009, 09:21 PM
No......but we did terrible anyway. We tried a new chicken recipe and it just did not work. We were also vending and we kept opening the smoker doors and we never got the chicken carmelized enough. Oh well. I will try again and update in a few weeks.

billm
08-17-2009, 07:21 AM
the meat looks great although I woulda stuck with the six pieces..the 7th thigh at the bottom looks a little out of place to me
all in all an 8 though