PDA

View Full Version : American Royal Q&A

Bud's BBQ
08-10-2009, 05:32 AM
If you haven't been to the Royal before, and have a question post it here. There are a lot of members that have been going for years and have a wealth of information I'm sure they will be happy to share. That should put all of the info, that may help others.

Jorge
--------------------------------------------------

Smokin Scotsmen are in spot 868 for both.

Can anyone estimate the approx. distance from turn in tent to our spot?

Looking forward to meeting all the Brethren who participate!!

walt and tonto

Plowboy
08-10-2009, 06:43 AM

walt and tonto

Pretty easy walk. I'd guess 2 city blocks.

BBQ_Mayor
08-10-2009, 07:19 AM

walt and tonto

632.12ft or 192.67meters or 210.71 yards or .12 Miles.
Give or take, but that should be close.

tonto1117
08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Pretty easy walk. I'd guess 2 city blocks.

632.12ft or 192.67meters or 210.71 yards or .12 Miles.
Give or take, but that should be close.

I think it is FT for the MI mainland and Meters for the UP. :lol: What is .12 miles in kilometers?

:lol: Thanks guys!! Now if you can factor in the crowds and foot traffic for me and let me know how long it will take to get there......I'd really apprciate it....:shock::lol:

Really looking forward to seeing you all. Oh, and .12 miles = 0.19312128 kilometers......:-P

SmokeInDaEye
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm working on a way to fly in and do the invitational, depending on what happens with the Jack draw. I assume it would be ok to cook the invitational in another teams spot as long as that team is only doing the open?

BBQ_Mayor
08-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm working on a way to fly in and do the invitational, depending on what happens with the Jack draw. I assume it would be ok to cook the invitational in another teams spot as long as that team is only doing the open?

Don't know if that would be "league" or not.

If it is, we are only doing the open. I'll talk with the rest of the guys, but as far as I'm concerned you welcome to cook in our site. What say you Shotgun?

Jorge
08-10-2009, 11:50 AM

I know that it has been done before. You can't wait until after the Jack draw to decide though. Your ARI app has to be in before 1 Sept.

musicmanryann
08-10-2009, 11:54 AM
It'd be .1931213 km

So looking at the map, exactly where is the turn-in area?

ique
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM

We have cooked right around there for the past couple years. What has worked for us is to target closing our entry box right when the window opens.

SmokeInDaEye
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I know that it has been done before. You can't wait until after the Jack draw to decide though. Your ARI app has to be in before 1 Sept.

Yep, sending it in tomorrow just to be safe.

KC_Bobby
08-10-2009, 12:16 PM

right above 667 on the map (it says drop off to the right of judging) - I'm estimating that to be a 30 yard walk for us - 10 yards outdoor, 20 yards indoors - sound about right Andy?

BBQ_Mayor
08-10-2009, 12:16 PM

Find Boondoggle and go about 20 ft to the West.

tonto1117
08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
We have cooked right around there for the past couple years. What has worked for us is to target closing our entry box right when the window opens.

Thanks much Chris for the insight!

Plowboy
08-10-2009, 12:38 PM

Not very far from you. You got a sweet spot. Just cross the street to the AMR building and walk down the hall about 3/4 of the way. Easy turn in from where you are at.

HoDeDo
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM
KC Bobby nailed it.... I am thinking 30 yards total is accurate. :)

Balls Casten
08-11-2009, 08:28 AM
And how early can you place a trailer on the lot?

EarlyBird
08-11-2009, 09:24 AM
And how early can you place a trailer on the lot?

I've seen people drop them off on Wednesday.

KC_Bobby
08-11-2009, 09:37 AM
I plan on dropping Wednesday after work. I want the tongue next to Andy's spot, so I hope to beat him there and be out of his way before he gets his rig in.

smknwhlswife
08-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I plan on dropping Wednesday after work. I want the tongue next to Andy's spot, so I hope to beat him there and be out of his way before he gets his rig in.

Andy will be dropping it of on Wed. too. I'm sure you guys can figure it out so it all works well. We're not sure how we will be setting up our site yet. But I want to block the street with either our camper or Gator's.

BBQ_Mayor
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Heres a question. how often do those trains go by?

KC_Bobby
08-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Andy will be dropping it of on Wed. too. I'm sure you guys can figure it out so it all works well. We're not sure how we will be setting up our site yet. But I want to block the street with either our camper or Gator's.

Thanks, we'll be in touch - plenty of time to plan so it works for both of us. I'm thinking our trailer will go along the east side (what I'm calling the backside along Butchers spot) with the tongue to your side so our side door opens to our spot.

KC_Bobby
08-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Heres a question. how often do those trains go by?

Often - think State Center, but not quite as often

KC_Bobby
08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Great. I think they set us right on the tracks.

You are. But if I remember right, it's more of a morning thing and the trains are going by really slow, so instead of the loud clung clung sounds, it's just a piercing squeal of the brakes and/or whatever squeals on trains.

Honestly, the only time I remember them is in the morning right after dawn. Ask Woodfellas - they had a spot over there their first year.

GratefulSmoker
08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Is it too late to sign up for open? If not, where can you sign up? Thanks!

Jorge
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Is it too late to sign up for open? If not, where can you sign up? Thanks!

it may be too late. Give them a call and find out for sure. Contact info can be found here arbbq.com

GratefulSmoker
08-11-2009, 12:59 PM
Thank you!!

undertaker
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I am going to the AR for the first time but will just be a spectator this year. Hell, I've never even been to KC. Can anyone suggest a good hotel for me to stay at?

Diva
08-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Downtown Marriott is probably the closest on 12th Street.

ANYONE wanting to get a hotel in KC that weekend better get on it! Nascar, the Royal, Chiefs, college football game at Arrowhead.....rooms will be hard to come by....

Jorge
08-11-2009, 03:33 PM
comfort Inn on Admiral isn't 5 star, but the price and cleanliness is acceptable. Use that KCBS discount if you are a member. It does make a difference.

moocow
08-11-2009, 05:58 PM
Shane, have you figured out your spot yet? I'd guess your somewhere in 414-422, all D's. 416 was our first spot
The list says we are in spot 415 and on the map it says it is a H and there is also a S in the spot. Do you think the s is for sewer or something else. I don't want to bring it to there attention and have them move me somewhere i don't want to be. What do you guys think?

The Pickled Pig
08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
The list says we are in spot 415 and on the map it says it is a H and there is also a S in the spot. Do you think the s is for sewer or something else. I don't want to bring it to there attention and have them move me somewhere i don't want to be. What do you guys think?

All the spots labeled Hs on the map are square while all the spots labeled H are rectangular. So maybe s=square?

Dustaway
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
how many signed up for the kingsford contest?

ique
08-12-2009, 05:02 PM
how many signed up for the kingsford contest?

How do you sign up for that?

tonto1117
08-12-2009, 05:12 PM
How do you sign up for that?

Chris, go to the AR site and when you fill out the app for the open, you are asked if you want port-a-potty, bails of hay, kingsford charcoal, etc. If you order at least one bag and then win, Kingsford doubles the prize money.

Edit: All the info is on this page:

http://www.arbbq.com/

drbbq
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't think Dizzy Chris knows about that generator on the corner. :eek:

I told him about that yesterday.

musicmanryann
08-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Chris, go to the AR site and when you fill out the app for the open, you are asked if you want port-a-potty, bails of hay, kingsford charcoal, etc. If you order at least one bag and then win, Kingsford doubles the prize money.

Edit: All the info is on this page:

http://www.arbbq.com/

This is the first statement regarding the kingsford competition promotion on the royal website:

"Sign-up after August 15th on the add-on form and pre-register to purchase Kingsford Competition Briquets from American Royal, to opt into the program."

For this reason I did not sign up on the form where is asked if you wanted to pre-purchase Kingsford Charcoal. This statement led me to believe that is was regular charcoal one was pre-ordering, rather than competition. I guess I am waiting until the add-on form is added on the website after 8/15. Is this wrong?

tonto1117
08-12-2009, 11:19 PM
This is the first statement regarding the kingsford competition promotion on the royal website:

"Sign-up after August 15th on the add-on form and pre-register to purchase Kingsford Competition Briquets from American Royal, to opt into the program."

For this reason I did not sign up on the form where is asked if you wanted to pre-purchase Kingsford Charcoal. This statement led me to believe that is was regular charcoal one was pre-ordering, rather than competition. I guess I am waiting until the add-on form is added on the website after 8/15. Is this wrong?

Sounds like the way to go to me. When we signed up for the Open we ordered a few bags(we only need it to start chimney's and start the grill for din-din) figuring it was one less thing to lug down. So I guess were good to go for the Kingsford entry qualifications.

BBQ_Mayor
08-13-2009, 06:57 AM

Thats the way it sounded to me. I'm waiting to add it on.

BBQ_Mayor
08-17-2009, 07:14 AM
OK, it's after the 15th. Where is the Kingsford form?

SmokeInDaEye
08-17-2009, 09:35 AM
OK, it's after the 15th. Where is the Kingsford form?

I can't find it anywhere. I just emailed my PR contact at Kingsford and will let you know if I get it.

SmokeInDaEye
08-19-2009, 08:48 AM
looks like you sign up for the kingsford match program here https://forms.americanroyal.com/default.aspx?formID=297

Prairie Smoke
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM
Newbie team here coming down from Canada for the first time in KC. I've got a pile of questions, and I'll have more over the next month. Let's start with brisket... Where can I get a few nice big CAB's in KC? Need a reliable source, won't have much time for shopping. Now this is a real long shot - but is there anyone out there that can help a foreigner out and buy 4 now and store them for me until then? Or suggest a shop that will set 4 aside for me until then?
Next: Does Costco carry the nice big Swift (from Colorado) spares that I've been using up here all year? They come 10 to a case, 5 cryos. Averaging about 45 lbs per case. If not, any other suggestions?

Dustaway
08-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Bichelmeyer's704 Cheyenne Avenue Kansas City KS 66105

(913) 342-1444

They are a very respected supply you will also get their information in your packet this year they will hold you order or they will have it on site for you, according to the information I received in the packet

SmokeInDaEye
08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
Bichelmeyer's704 Cheyenne Avenue Kansas City KS 66105

(913) 342-1444

They are a very respected supply you will also get their information in your packet this year they will hold you order or they will have it on site for you, according to the information I received in the packet

Good to know. Been wondering about meat myself.

ique
08-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I'm looking to rent an RV... not having much luck. We like to go the private route if possible. Our budget is around $1000.

musicmanryann
08-25-2009, 12:11 PM
So it is true that you have to buy your own booze through the supplier provided in the packet? How is this monitored? No problem either way, just curious.

Diva
08-25-2009, 12:13 PM
So it is true that you have to buy your own booze through the supplier provided in the packet? How is this monitored? No problem either way, just curious.

Negatory

Jorge
08-25-2009, 12:14 PM

You should have NO problem. I've never seen it enforced, or even heard of it.

Diva
08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm looking to rent an RV... not having much luck. We like to go the private route if possible. Our budget is around $1000.

With NASCAR, Chiefs and the College head to head football game....it's rough.

Try Olathe Ford RV Center, located in Gardner, KS 800 280-8739 .

Another option MAY be to rent one from the St. Louis area, it's about 3-4 hours away.....

Plowboy
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
http://www.nationwiderv.com/

musicmanryann
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM
How many bales of straw should I order? I have a 25x40 "D" spot and front a road on both the front and back of the space.

Prairie Smoke
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
What is the purpose of bales? (first time entrant here)

BBQ_Mayor
08-31-2009, 12:27 PM
What is the purpose of bales? (first time entrant here)

Keep people from wandering around into your spot.

KC_Bobby
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
How many bales of straw should I order? I have a 25x40 "D" spot and front a road on both the front and back of the space.

Ryan,
I think it's good to have a few bales around to soak up any wandering messes, but those bails add add up fast. I've seen some teams just run caution tape or a light weight rope across the ends near the aisles. We use construction fence and tack it to 2x4's that have concrete in a 5 gallon bucket. I understand you don't want that load to bring down - but maybe you can think of a lighter weight option to hold up some lines of rope.

Are you renting an RV/trailer or anything? You could always block one end with it.

musicmanryann
08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Okay now what about these wristbands? Each team gets 12 complimentary with their entry, or did I read that wrong? So far I have not ordered any, but will need at least twelve throughout the weekend.

Balls Casten
08-31-2009, 02:18 PM
The bales make nice chairs/tables for people when they are eating as well.

Paola Greg
08-31-2009, 02:33 PM
Okay now what about these wristbands? Each team gets 12 complimentary with their entry, or did I read that wrong? So far I have not ordered any, but will need at least twelve throughout the weekend.
Ryan, you'll get 12 wristbands for the open, and 12 for the invitational. That's what they have done in the past. (All are good for the entire weekend)

Plowboy
08-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Ryan,
I think it's good to have a few bales around to soak up any wandering messes, but those bails add add up fast. I've seen some teams just run caution tape or a light weight rope across the ends near the aisles. We use construction fence and tack it to 2x4's that have concrete in a 5 gallon bucket. I understand you don't want that load to bring down - but maybe you can think of a lighter weight option to hold up some lines of rope.

Are you renting an RV/trailer or anything? You could always block one end with it.

You obviously haven't been to Lot B where we don't have booze, vomit and over used porta potties flowing like a river on a Friday night. They can keep that stuff on the Dark Side.

KC_Bobby
08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
You obviously haven't been to Lot B where we don't have booze, vomit and over used porta potties flowing like a river on a Friday night. They can keep that stuff on the Dark Side.

I'm not following ya.

Plowboy
08-31-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm not following ya.

We don't need bales for soaking up messes.

SmokeInDaEye
09-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Someone mentioned to me this past weekend that it's possible to get a package delivered onsite? I'm considering shipping a few sauces, rubs and essentials since it would probably cost the same to check them on the plane with the new luggage fees.

musicmanryann
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Someone mentioned to me this past weekend that it's possible to get a package delivered onsite? I'm considering shipping a few sauces, rubs and essentials since it would probably cost the same to check them on the plane with the new luggage fees.

I don't know, but if not, I am sure there would be several Brethren, myself included, willing to have you ship it to them and haul it there.

SmokeInDaEye
09-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like I have one month to figure everything out. Figure I should fly in late Wednesday and spend early Thurs finding supplies? Off to find a hotel and flight.

KC_Bobby
09-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Today is the deadline for any Add-On orders.

https://forms.americanroyal.com/default.aspx?formID=297

SmokeInDaEye
09-04-2009, 11:57 AM
Today is the deadline for any Add-On orders.

https://forms.americanroyal.com/default.aspx?formID=297

Thanks. Just got some charcoal. 1 item down, 200 more to go!

bigabyte
09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
How much alcohol should I bring?

KC_Bobby
09-04-2009, 01:47 PM
How much can you drink? Then add some for others

ique
09-04-2009, 04:06 PM

Come up with an estimate for how much your team will consume and then double it.

:-D

SmokeInDaEye
09-04-2009, 08:22 PM

I usually factor one beer per competing team so that's like 600 or something? Looking forward to hanging out, Chris! And the other Chris (iQue) and everyone else. Got flight booked, hotel booked and ready to roll!

BTW, any locals happen to have a sleeping bag I can borrow friday? I hate to carry one all the way down for 4 hours sleep.

Lakeside Smoker
09-07-2009, 06:03 AM
Will I get a conformation back from the AR? I sent in my paperwork the week before the deadline (8-28) and have not heard any word yet.

Thanks
-Mike

moocow
09-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Will I get a conformation back from the AR? I sent in my paperwork the week before the deadline (8-28) and have not heard any word yet.

Thanks
-Mike
You better call, you should have heard something by now!

Smokin' Joe
09-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Is there water available so I can fill up the water tanks on the camper (without moving it of course)??

KC_Bobby
09-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Unlike the GAB, I don't recall any trucks driving around with large water tanks to fill RV tanks. It's best to fill those tanks before you get there. They do have gators driving around with 50-65 gallon spray tanks to fill smaller water needs like the 6-7 gallon blue jugs.

Plowboy
09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Is there water available so I can fill up the water tanks on the camper (without moving it of course)??

Unlike the GAB, I don't recall any trucks driving around with large water tanks to fill RV tanks. It's best to fill those tanks before you get there. They do have gators driving around with 50-65 gallon spray tanks to fill smaller water needs like the 6-7 gallon blue jugs.

Unless you can get that Gator close enough to your RV.

I'd fill before you leave OR Cabela's has a place for fresh water filling as well as gray and black water dumping. Most Missouri rest areas have the same thing.

Smokin' Joe
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Unless you can get that Gator close enough to your RV.

I'd fill before you leave OR Cabela's has a place for fresh water filling as well as gray and black water dumping. Most Missouri rest areas have the same thing.

Thanks for the help guys! I ask because my fresh water tanks aren't very big and I will run out Saturday PM. I may be ok to be filled by the gator as my water tanks are right by the front door, I can move the smoker over and pull him right in.

My other question is around arrival...I have a 40 foot spot (with spots in front of and behind me) and a 37' rig so I want to get there early to get parked without too many issues. When do most teams arrive? When is the earliest I can arrive (when is someone around to direct teams, checkin, etc)?

Plowboy
09-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the help guys! I ask because my fresh water tanks aren't very big and I will run out Saturday PM. I may be ok to be filled by the gator as my water tanks are right by the front door, I can move the smoker over and pull him right in.

My other question is around arrival...I have a 40 foot spot (with spots in front of and behind me) and a 37' rig so I want to get there early to get parked without too many issues. When do most teams arrive? When is the earliest I can arrive (when is someone around to direct teams, checkin, etc)?

I'm dropping my camper off Wednesday.

musicmanryann
09-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Wow--some interesting discussion here. I'm glad I am learning a thing or to about the Royal.:shock:

If we get in early Thursday morning (before 9), do you think it will be difficult to get a camper in? If so, I will head down there Wednesday night.

ique
09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Anyone know if there is a vendor selling wood onsite?

SmokeInDaEye
09-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Should we be getting more info in the mail soon? I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Diva
09-14-2009, 12:34 PM

Yes, Smoke Me Wood will be there.$15 if you pre-order $18 onsite for a 15 lb bag of chunks.BTW, check your FB inbox, please, and get back with me.

heinz57
09-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Woodyard will be there selling wood. You can reach them @ 913 362 8000

Smokin' Joe
09-15-2009, 07:56 PM
I assume its ok to stay Sunday night?? I didn't find anything on it so I thought I would ask.

HoDeDo
09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I assume its ok to stay Sunday night?? I didn't find anything on it so I thought I would ask.

Yes it is ok to stay over...

SmokeInDaEye
09-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm leaving before awards Sunday to fly home but hope to see as many people as possible before then. I am picking up meat Thursday am then hope to be onsite by 1 or so that day. Gotta keep an eye on those Swamp Pit folks and their tequila!

SmokeInDaEye
09-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I just picked up two cases of CAB briskets today and have another cases I'm picking up the Thursday before the Royal. Seeing as I only need about half of that for the next thee weeks, I'll be flush with CAB packers.

If any of you out of towners want to go through my stash at the AMR, you are welcome to. I'll charge you what I paid for them.

Good to know. I just ordered two briskets yesterday but may come digging depending on how they are. Picking up all meat on Thursday then helping my landlord get his site setup.

moocow
09-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Got our wrist bands and parking passes yesterday.
So did we. What time were the awards over last year?

smknwhlswife
09-20-2009, 09:21 AM
My site is 045 though I've sublet some better real estate so if anyone wants a space to relax, my place is wide open.

Quick question, where is the "dark side" located?

http://www.americanroyal.com/portals/0/FINALRoyal%20BBQ%20Siteplan%202009r3-24x54%20PDF.pdf

when you look at the map the dark side is south of the AR & BBQ Expo buildings. Basically from the Entry "A" to the "point" east and to the buildings.

Prairie Smoke
09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
New question: What's a good nearby Super Mega Mart?? (ie Super Walmart or equivalent). Need to map one out for misc. supplies and grocery runs
Address please? Thanks!

KC_Bobby
09-21-2009, 08:07 PM
New question: What's a good nearby Super Mega Mart?? (ie Super Walmart or equivalent). Need to map one out for misc. supplies and grocery runs
Address please? Thanks!

Depending on what you need, they basically bring a mini Walmart on site.

cleaners
paper products
foil
snacks
drinks

I've never used it to purchase any food, but I wouldn't count on much for actual ingredients.

smknwhlswife
09-21-2009, 08:13 PM
Here is a link to the list of Walmarts in the area. Note that the closest Supercenter is about 9 miles away.
http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder_results.do?serviceName=ALL&sfatt=ALL&rx_title=&rx_dest=%2Findex.gsp&sfsearch_zip=64102&%23.x=29&%23.y=10&%23=Find

Sams club will be on site with the a mini store, as will price chopper grocery.

Plowboy
09-21-2009, 08:16 PM
One of the local supermarket chains will be set up there with a full line of produce and sundries. Don't worry about garnish, they'll have it all.

scottyd
09-21-2009, 08:24 PM
they always got pretty good stuff, I will see you all at the royal, I will be in 272 as always on the dark side, I love it there. Scotty d

ique
09-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Is the Kansas City BBQ Store (http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/) onsite at the Royal? Or nearby?

thanks

Plowboy
09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Is the Kansas City BBQ Store (http://www.thekansascitybbqstore.com/) onsite at the Royal? Or nearby?

thanks

They'll be onsite in the Expo.

Plowboy
09-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Smoke N Fire in Overland Park is running a Royal special: Buy 4 get 1 free on all rubs and sauces.

Diva
09-24-2009, 09:11 AM
They'll be onsite in the Expo.

NEGATIVE. The KC BBQ Store will NOT be onsite at the Royal. There is a 15% off coupon in the September issue of the Bullsheet that's good from the Monday of the Royal til the Monday after, must present coupon at the register.

Chris, I'll be guiding some people out there around lunchtime on Thursday if you would like to caravan. It's right next to Oklahoma Joe's BBQ in Olathe, so, we're gonna grab some lunch too.

KC_Bobby
09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Will electric be available Wednesday night?

Smokin' Joe
09-27-2009, 09:58 AM
are the electric outlets GFCI protected? I ask because my trailer hates GFCI outlets.

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Anyone got suggestions on grocery stores near downtown or am I better off driving out a little? Mainly just looking for some basics but also some good lettuce selection for boxes.

KC_Bobby
09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Clint, did you rent a car? If so, when you leave the airport to head into KC take the Barry Road exit and go east a few blocks. You'll run into a HyVee.

I've been impressed with the greens they sell at the Royal - lettuce and parsley.

Is anyone getting a case of parsley from RT and will have extra? Or if some teams want to go in on a case, I can go get one Thursday or Friday morning.

Plowboy
09-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Will Price Chopper be set up on site again this year? They had great produce last year.

smoke-n-my-i's
09-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Ok, just a last couple of questions, comments, and thoughts. I know a few are probably on the way, or about to leave.

Abt how long of a walk, including pedestrian traffic is it from spot 938. We estimate a walk of abt 1500 ft. Is that close? And we figured on leaving abt 10 minutes before the "window" opens to get there abt when it opens to drop off and return for the next. Does that sound abt right?

Also, I have tried to make a list of the Brethren and where we will be located, names, etc. I know I have probably missed a few, and not gotten all of everyones names. I am going to try and attach it here, but if it doesn't make it, let me know and I will get it emailed to you. Just send me a note with your email address.

See ya all there.

worthsmokin
09-27-2009, 05:26 PM
My name is Becky we will be in spot 506 for Worth Smokin this is our 1st time at the Royal and 2nd competition ever basically just want to do it for the experience. I was wondering how you get water? For cleaning, etc. Do you have to go get it somewhere then you hall it back to your spot? How does all that typically work.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Thanks for any help. Becky

Diva
09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Price Chopper WILL be on-site.Water gators go around the contest site. They have big tanks on the back of them.

SmokeInDaEye
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Clint, did you rent a car? If so, when you leave the airport to head into KC take the Barry Road exit and go east a few blocks. You'll run into a HyVee.

I've been impressed with the greens they sell at the Royal - lettuce and parsley.

Is anyone getting a case of parsley from RT and will have extra? Or if some teams want to go in on a case, I can go get one Thursday or Friday morning.

Yeah, got a great deal on a car ($35 a day for a mid-sized). I'm arriving at about 6pm Wed and heading to the Comfort Inn on Admiral Blvd. Anyone in the area should definitely hit me up because I'm going to be bored!

Thursday is shopping day. The HyVee sounds good.

Smokin' Joe
09-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Steph, do those gators have pumps to pump the water or is it a gravity kind of thing?

Prairie Smoke
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
Another newbie question... We're in lot D, just about the farthest spot out (041)
PLEASE tell me how much time we should budget for speed-walking the blind boxes. We will have a blocker person and a meat carrier.
Also... Is it safe to leave my offset stick burner trailer there (in our spot) Thursday night unattended? We will have a lock on the hitch coupler.
Thanks!

Diva
09-27-2009, 08:36 PM
1) Water is a gravity thing2) Lot D walk....time it, that's your best shot.3) Your pit should be safe on Thursday.

KC_Bobby
09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, got a great deal on a car ($35 a day for a mid-sized). I'm arriving at about 6pm Wed and heading to the Comfort Inn on Admiral Blvd. Anyone in the area should definitely hit me up because I'm going to be bored!

Thursday is shopping day. The HyVee sounds good.

the HyVee I mentioned is no where near where you're staying and honestly our downtown is lacking in the grocery store department. But their's a Sunfresh a few miles south of Kemper on Southwest Trafficway (Summit Street) and 41st. It's a decent size grocery store.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5831257/kansas_city_mo/sun_fresh_market.html

Plowboy
09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
the HyVee I mentioned is no where near where you're staying and honestly our downtown is lacking in the grocery store department. But their's a Sunfresh a few miles south of Kemper on Southwest Trafficway (Summit Street) and 41st. It's a decent size grocery store.

http://kansascity.citysearch.com/profile/5831257/kansas_city_mo/sun_fresh_market.html

There's the new Cosentino's Price Chopper downtown in the Power and Light District.

http://www.mypricechopper.com/

smokincracker
09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Guys I'm flying in on Thursday and I'll need to buy EVERYTHING. I'm barrowing a cooker and tent from (Good-One Smokers) and perhaps a table. I’m in SPOT 723. I’ll be scrambling on Thursday night to run everything I need down to cook both the Invite and Open. Any tips on where to go shopping would be great. I cook mostly FBA and when I do cook KCBS very rarely use greens so anyone with tips in that area please let me have it…I’ve got a Mini Van so no jokes boys…. See you all there…..

I know this is asking alot but anyone willing to help me out with a Cambro to use or another like hot box. I would even rent it the $ is right.

WannaBeBBQueen
09-28-2009, 06:28 AM
Guys I'm flying in on Thursday and I'll need to buy EVERYTHING. I'm barrowing a cooker and tent from (Good-One Smokers) and perhaps a table. I’m in SPOT 723. I’ll be scrambling on Thursday night to run everything I need down to cook both the Invite and Open. Any tips on where to go shopping would be great. I cook mostly FBA and when I do cook KCBS very rarely use greens so anyone with tips in that area please let me have it…I’ve got a Mini Van so no jokes boys…. See you all there…..

I know this is asking alot but anyone willing to help me out with a Cambro to use or another like hot box. I would even rent it the $ is right.

I'll help ya out...:biggrin: I'll call you later.

Captain Caveman
09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
Another newbie question... We're in lot D, just about the farthest spot out (041)
PLEASE tell me how much time we should budget for speed-walking the blind boxes. We will have a blocker person and a meat carrier.
Also... Is it safe to leave my offset stick burner trailer there (in our spot) Thursday night unattended? We will have a lock on the hitch coupler.
Thanks!

I think you are going to need 2 runners. The line for turn in's can be long, and your runner will be hard pressed to get there on time, wait in line, and get back to you for the next entry in time. We are in lot B, and still use 2 runners.

The Pickled Pig
09-28-2009, 08:43 AM

And don't forget the Restaurant Depot two blocks away from Kemper.

Bigmista
09-28-2009, 09:12 AM
490 teams. Turn ins have got to be crazy!

Plowboy
09-28-2009, 09:14 AM

You'll be surprised how well it happens with that many teams.

Good luck to all.

Jorge
09-28-2009, 09:32 AM

The biggest concern you have, from your spot, is the public between Lot B and the doors. Last year it was no problem. The year before it was a lot more crowded. I'm sure you guys will have someone to run interference and say "Excuse Me" so that you don't surprise anyone:wink:

You should run at least one box on Sunday:lol::mrgreen: It's pretty impressive!

smokincracker
09-28-2009, 10:10 AM
I'll help ya out...:biggrin: I'll call you later.

Thanks Babe u da best!!!

BBQ_Mayor
09-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Anybody else itch'n and twitch'n about this weekend. I'm ready to go!
Silly question, I know you all are in the same boat..:mrgreen:

Prairie Smoke
09-28-2009, 10:18 AM
) Lot D walk....time it, that's your best shot..

I will definitely walk it when we get there but I need an idea now.
I'm printing out my timeline, just need to know how much time to budget for the walk... 5 minutes? 10? 15?

ie. for an 11:00 turn-in, what time does my box need to leave camp? Just a suggestion please.

I've never cooked KCBS before (used to 60 minute turn-ins) so need all the guidance I can get, I'm nervous.

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm printing out my timeline, just need to know how much time to budget for the walk... 5 minutes? 10? 15?

ie. for an 11:00 turn-in, what time does my box need to leave camp? Just a suggestion please.

I've never cooked KCBS before (used to 60 minute turn-ins) so need all the guidance I can get, I'm nervous.

Don't know about the walk but definitely check those turn-in times. I don't know of anything going in at 11. Noon chicken, 12:30 ribs, 1 shoulder, 1:30 brisket.

Dustaway
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Anybody else itch'n and twitch'n about this weekend. I'm ready to go!
Silly question, I know you all are in the same boat..:mrgreen:

every time my wife says wouldn't it be great if....

my stomach starts to turn and i get that feeling you get right before the awards :shock: yea I would head out tonight....

KC_Bobby
09-28-2009, 11:02 AM

If the map is to proportion, you have a about a 1750 foot walk if you follow the directions below:

go left out of your camp, take a right on applewood dr, left on bar-b-q blvd and follow that around to the east side of the awards building. When you get to space 667 (my spot) take a right to go inside the doors and you'll see turn ins. Or follow Wyoming Street all the way around to lot C, might have less people walking it and could be faster.

Are you quick like a cat or more like a tortoise? What's an average walking speed? 3.5 miles per hour? At that pace it will take about 5:41 to get there - assuming you can keep the 3.5 mph pace the entire route. At a 3 mph pace it will take 6:39. :wink:

Math based on:
3.5 miles per hour - 5280*3.5=18480/60=308 feet a minute x distance
3 miles per hour - 5280*3=15840/60=264 feet a minute x distance

moocow
09-28-2009, 11:19 AM
If the map is to proportion, you have a about a 1750 foot walk if you follow the directions below:

go left out of your camp, take a right on applewood dr, left on bar-b-q blvd and follow that around to the east side of the awards building. When you get to space 667 (my spot) take a right to go inside the doors and you'll see turn ins. Or follow Wyoming Street all the way around to lot C, might have less people walking it and could be faster.

Are you quick like a cat or more like a tortoise? What's an average walking speed? 3.5 miles per hour? At that pace it will take about 5:41 to get there - assuming you can keep the 3.5 mph pace the entire route. At a 3 mph pace it will take 6:39. :wink:
How many times are you going to tell us how close you are to turn ins?:rolleyes: You are just depressing me!

tonto1117
09-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Packing up and getting ready to hit the road tommorow. I will have a 60 bunch case of Parsley.....so will have plenty left if somone needs any.

Looking forward to meeting so many Brothers and Sisters!! I'm told I pack everything but the kitchen sink....Oh wait, I have that too...so if anyone needs to borrow or needs anything...just ask!!

Ray..thanks for putting that list together, very cool!!

Neil...PM sent.

Safe travels to all.See you in a few!!8)

T.

Balls Casten
09-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Greetings guys, justr got back from a 3,000 mile cycle ride in Utah. Had a great time but got real excited when I started packing the trailer last night.

Are you all still getting the brethern together for a group photo friday night?

KC_Bobby
09-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I hope Andy and Kim let me know how much time they are allowing for turn ins ... I think I can subtract a good 2 seconds off their allowed time. I have 200 feet or 40-45 seconds

MooCow has a distance of 1000 yards - that's 3:15 at 3.5 mph or 3:45 at 3 mph.

Plowboy
09-28-2009, 11:31 AM
Greetings guys, justr got back from a 3,000 mile cycle ride in Utah. Had a great time but got real excited when I started packing the trailer last night.

Are you all still getting the brethern together for a group photo friday night?

5pm at the Plowboys spot: 909

smknwhlswife
09-28-2009, 11:33 AM
Safe Travels everyone! We will see you soon!!

SmokeInDaEye
09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Thought I posted the weather forecast but didn't. Looks like its gonna be brisk Thurs-Sat. Low 60s during the day and 40s at night so pack accordingly everyone.

moocow
09-28-2009, 11:41 AM
I hope Andy and Kim let me know how much time they are allowing for turn ins ... I think I can subtract a good 2 seconds off their allowed time. I have 200 feet or 40-45 seconds

MooCow has a distance of 1000 yards - that's 3:15 at 3.5 mph or 3:45 at 3 mph. I may have to leave early to have time to stop for water before I head in the door.:-D
Seriously though, Everybody be safe on the way in to town and have a good trip. I look forward to meeting everybody that I can.

KC_Bobby
09-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Shane, need to borrow a camelback?

Buster Dog BBQ
09-28-2009, 11:55 AM

MooCow has a distance of 1000 yards - that's 3:15 at 3.5 mph or 3:45 at 3 mph.

You should just get behind some fast walkers and reduce your drag co-efficient.

Jorge
09-28-2009, 12:10 PM
You should just get behind some fast walkers and reduce your drag co-efficient.

I nearly had to run, to stay ahead of Steve two years ago. Your gonna like the new rig!:mrgreen:

Bigmista
09-28-2009, 12:20 PM
The biggest concern you have, from your spot, is the public between Lot B and the doors. Last year it was no problem. The year before it was a lot more crowded. I'm sure you guys will have someone to run interference and say "Excuse Me" so that you don't surprise anyone:wink:

You should run at least one box on Sunday:lol::mrgreen: It's pretty impressive!

Sometimes I have "Football Flashbacks" in large crowds. Hope I don't take anyone out who's carrying a box...

Diva
09-28-2009, 06:39 PM
If anyones interested in an Okie Joes lunch/BBQ Store caravan, I'll be at the Royal sround noon to play follow the leader. Lemme know... info at theslabs dot com

smoke-n-my-i's
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
Thought I posted the weather forecast but didn't. Looks like its gonna be brisk Thurs-Sat. Low 60s during the day and 40s at night so pack accordingly everyone.

:eek: That is COLDER than what I saw on the net today.... the lowest I saw was just one day, it that low was 47... the rest was mid 50's and highs in the low to mid 70's....

Bigmista
09-28-2009, 07:18 PM
So pack for hot and cold?

smoke-n-my-i's
09-28-2009, 07:21 PM
(http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=2)
Wed (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=2)
Sep 30
Mostly Sunny
70°
59°
Thu (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=3)
Oct 1
T-Storms
67°
50°
Fri (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=4)
Oct 2
Partly Cloudy
57°
48°
Sat (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=5)
Oct 3
Few Showers
56°
47°
Sun (http://www.weather.com/weather/wxdetail/USMO0460?dayNum=6)
Oct 4
Partly Cloudy
63°
50°

10 day forcast from weather.com:
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USMO0460?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

KC_Bobby
09-28-2009, 08:57 PM
My experience with weather.com is that it's never right for KC. Seems like they never update the initial forecast they list for KC. kansascity.com seems to be more accurate.

One another note, anyone parked anywhere near Tippy Canoe ... make sure you don't start setting up - especially fencing - until Joe Canoe has put his 5th wheel in his spot :biggrin:

Smokin' Joe
09-28-2009, 09:11 PM
One another note, anyone parked anywhere near Tippy Canoe ... make sure you don't start setting up - especially fencing - until Joe Canoe has put his 5th wheel in his spot :biggrin:

The wheels on my 5th wheel eat fencing and baricades for breakfast:shock:

I'm leaving at the butt crack of dawn Thursday hoping to avoid any fencing issues...as long as I beat Jack's Old South in from GA I should be good.

KC_Bobby
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Watching you shrug your shoulders after taking down the house at the Qlossal was classic.

smknwhlswife
09-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Here in KS & MO the weather always changes. Pack for Mid-60s for the days and mid-40s for the nights. You also might want to pack a rain jacket....just in case.

moocow
09-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Thursday- 80% rain all day windy 70 46:icon_frow
Friday- cloudy 63 44:|
Saturday- sunny 61 42:smile:
Sunday- partly cloudy 67-54:smile:

Sledneck
09-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Pffft, Sledcast imitators

Thursday, Oct 1
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 72 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Mostly cloudy and windy with showers and thunderstorms possible

Thursday Night, Oct 1
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/12.gif
Low: 52 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Periods of rain in the evening; otherwise, mainly cloudy and breezy

Friday, Oct 2
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 63 °F RealFeel®: 60 °F
Windy in the morning; cool with partial sunshine

Friday Night, Oct 2
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 37 °F
An evening shower in the area; otherwise, partly cloudy

Saturday, Oct 3
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/06.gif
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Clouds limiting sunshine

Saturday Night, Oct 3
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 4
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_frcst_bg/03.gif
High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Partly sunny

Sunday Night, Oct 4
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Mostly cloudy with a touch of rain late

moocow
09-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Pffft, Sledcast imitators

Thursday, Oct 1
High: 72 °F RealFeel®: 68 °F
Mostly cloudy and windy with showers and thunderstorms possible

Thursday Night, Oct 1
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/12.gif
Low: 52 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
Periods of rain in the evening; otherwise, mainly cloudy and breezy

Friday, Oct 2
High: 63 °F RealFeel®: 60 °F
Windy in the morning; cool with partial sunshine

Friday Night, Oct 2
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/36.gif
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 37 °F
An evening shower in the area; otherwise, partly cloudy

Saturday, Oct 3
High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Clouds limiting sunshine

Saturday Night, Oct 3
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/35.gif
Low: 45 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Partly cloudy

Sunday, Oct 4
High: 65 °F RealFeel®: 64 °F
Partly sunny

Sunday Night, Oct 4
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/common/images/wxicons/blue_night_bg/38.gif
Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 46 °F
Mostly cloudy with a touch of rain late

Whats a guy from New York know about KC weather? Probably more than me.:-D Hope you are right about Thursday.

musicmanryann
09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
http://forecast.weather.gov/wtf/meteograms/Plotter.php?lat=39.09040&lon=-94.58370&wfo=EAX&zcode=MOZ037&gset=18&gdiff=3&unit=0&tinfo=CY6&ahour=44&pcmd=1110111111000000000000000000000&lg=en&indu=1!1!1&dd=0&bw=0 (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=hi&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&AheadHour=44&Submit=Submit&&FcstType=digital&textField1=39.09040&textField2=-94.58370&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0)
http://forecast.weather.gov/wtf/meteograms/Plotter.php?lat=39.09040&lon=-94.58370&wfo=EAX&zcode=MOZ037&gset=18&gdiff=3&unit=0&tinfo=CY6&ahour=92&pcmd=1110111111000000000000000000000&lg=en&indu=1!1!1&dd=0&bw=0 (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?w0=t&w1=td&w2=hi&w3=sfcwind&w3u=1&w4=sky&w5=pop&w6=rh&w7=thunder&w8=rain&AheadHour=44&&FcstType=digital&textField1=39.09040&textField2=-94.58370&site=all&unit=0&dd=0&bw=0&AheadDay.x=56&AheadDay.y=13)

Or if you want to get technical, how about an hour by hour forecast, straight from the source(NOAA)? :-)

Balls Casten
09-29-2009, 09:51 AM
So we shouldnt start our party until friday at 8:00? I mean we shouldnt invite guests until then. :-)

KC_Bobby
09-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Will electric be available Wednesday night?

are the electric outlets GFCI protected? I ask because my trailer hates GFCI outlets.

bump!

worthsmokin
09-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I know all the hotels in the area are sold out so I wanted to post that I had to cancel my reservation for the night of October 2nd for 1night at the Best Western Seville on Main St. 4.4 miles away. If you are interested send me a message I am a travel agent I can contact the manager for you I am pretty sure if you just check their website it will show sold out but I know they have a room for that night.

Thanks,
Becky :)

Jorge
09-29-2009, 02:15 PM
bump!

I can tell you that we hooked up Thurs. morning last year and had power.

I would not hook up a fridge with contest meat in it and expect it to run all night without being on site. If your neighbor pulls in and blows the circuit.....

If you just want to get the fridge cooled down you should be fine.

SmokeInDaEye
09-29-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm staying with Jay. He sid something about a "reach around" room. That's a good thing, right?

We'll make an exception to the "No Pictures, Didn't Happen" rule on this one.:eek:

Is it tough to get cabs from the Royal at night? I was hoping to hang out and have some beers Thursday night but don't want to drive back to the hotel.

Diva
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
We'll make an exception to the "No Pictures, Didn't Happen" rule on this one.:eek:

Is it tough to get cabs from the Royal at night? I was hoping to hang out and have some beers Thursday night but don't want to drive back to the hotel.

Where's your hotel?

Jorge
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM

It's not Manhattan, I'd have a number or two in my cell if you don't want to wait.

YankeeBBQ
09-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Cab rides are easy to come by. There's a taxi stand right at the Royal.

Diva
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Cab rides are easy to come by. There's a taxi stand right at the Royal.

Really? I didn't know that. I'm observant.

SmokeInDaEye
09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Where's your hotel?

A couple miles away I think on Admiral Blvd. I'll get a couple numbers from the front desk to be safe.

Balls Casten
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
With talk of rooms and such ... We are short a few guys this week, so I unpacked two of our cots. Anyone need them?

There is a bar a couple blocks away from Gate A. We walked there and only had time for one drink before the cab was there last year.

KC_Bobby
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
I can tell you that we hooked up Thurs. morning last year and had power.

I would not hook up a fridge with contest meat in it and expect it to run all night without being on site. If your neighbor pulls in and blows the circuit.....

If you just want to get the fridge cooled down you should be fine.

Thanks - I don't think we're taking our comp meat down to the Royal til Sunday morning. :mrgreen:

KC_Bobby
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Anyone staying down there Wednesday night?

worthsmokin
09-30-2009, 09:30 AM
I have a question on the wrist bands that were sent w/ the confirmation packet. Are they good for the whole weekend or only good for 1 day. I was going to give some to friends but wasnt for sure if they could get in both days with them or just 1. Also do the actual team members need wrist bands?

Diva
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a question on the wrist bands that were sent w/ the confirmation packet. Are they good for the whole weekend or only good for 1 day. I was going to give some to friends but wasnt for sure if they could get in both days with them or just 1. Also do the actual team members need wrist bands?

Both days. It's a good idea to have one on (team member-wise) just in case.

Diva
09-30-2009, 09:54 AM
If anyones interested the caravan will be leaving around 12:15ish to have lunch at the Olathe Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and shopping at the Kansas City BBQ Store. We'll leave from my space, which I believe is 761...

Safe travels!

Steph

musicmanryann
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
Anyone have an idea of approximately where greens' sales will be?

KC_Bobby
09-30-2009, 02:42 PM
The past two years they have been at 379 on the map. Follow the Central Hall south out the doors.

Balls Casten
09-30-2009, 08:56 PM
Trailer dropped .. several already parked and gone ....
"things are gonna start happnin now!"

SmokeInDaEye
10-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Anyone have the address for the kc bbq store? May try to swing by this morning If anyones interested the caravan will be leaving around 12:15ish to have lunch at the Olathe Oklahoma Joe's BBQ and shopping at the Kansas City BBQ Store. We'll leave from my space, which I believe is 761...

Safe travels!

Steph

Diva
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone have the address for the kc bbq store? May try to swing by this morning

Some of us are gonna caravan out, have lunch at Okie Joes and then shop at The KC BBQ Store if you'd like to join us at 12:15....if not....

11946 S. Strang Line Road
Olathe, KS

Jorge
10-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Anyone have the address for the kc bbq store? May try to swing by this morning

11946 Strang Line Rd., Olathe Ks.

BTW, I told the guy at the desk I never heard of you when he called to confirm you were authorized to check in:-P:twisted:

Useless
10-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Can you get your scoring break down somehow? This year I competed for the first time and it happened to be at the royal. We had no idea what we were doing and wish I would of read the rules a few more times :(

Jorge
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Can you get your scoring break down somehow? This year I competed for the first time and it happened to be at the royal. We had no idea what we were doing and wish I would of read the rules a few more times :(

Edit: I misunderstood your question. You should be getting your raw scores mailed to you.

Jorge
08-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Thread returned to a Sticky, to make in convenient for members.

Jorge
07-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Time to bump this again. There's some good info for those that have never been to the Royal. July 15th is the deadline for returning teams to get their app in and retain their spot.

Plowboy
07-12-2011, 09:48 PM
My app was in a month ago. See you in spot 909.

chromesporty
07-13-2011, 10:38 AM
I received my confirmation e-mail from the Royal May 1. It's our first year, so I don't know our space assignment yet, but we are cooking the Invitational and the Open. Can't wait!

luckyduk
07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Got mine in last week, kind of late, hopefully I get into a decent spot

mobow
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
mine is in for the open. First time. When will they let us know if we got the area or spot we asked for? keith

jbrink01
07-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Registerd and paid May 1 for both. Be gentle, I'm an AR virgin.....

ParkAvenue_2
07-13-2011, 11:48 AM
We are back in again for this year, up at the North Pole. :thumb:

mobow
09-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Trying to figure out my wrist bands for friends. Do I need one for myself to get in to set up? If not do I need to be wearing one if I never leave the grounds? keith

smknwhlswife
09-13-2011, 08:59 AM
Trying to figure out my wrist bands for friends. Do I need one for myself to get in to set up? If not do I need to be wearing one if I never leave the grounds? keith

You will need to have one starting Friday evening.

And just a warning for anyone with kids!! If they are 6 and older they also will need a wristband!! :mad:

Bigdog
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM

During the 4+ years that I have been attending, I rarely get checked, but that's mainly due to the fact that I use the back gate which is the one that goes to the Liberty lot. Basically if you look like you belong, they leave you alone.

Gerrit_Boys
09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
When do they send this stuff out?

Jimmy & The Squealers
09-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I got my wristbands Saturday

Jorge
10-01-2012, 01:15 PM
A oldy, but goody that may have some answers for folks making their first trip to the Royal.

Eggspert
10-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Good luck to all AR competitors! I am so jealous and wish we were competing this year. We are going as spectators and judging the open on Saturday. Good luck to all South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota and Iowa teams! We will be cheering you on!

Eggspert BBQ
3 Lg BGE
Stoker
Orange Thermapen

PatioDaddio
10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
OK, serious rookie question... Does anyone know if it's allowed/acceptable to cut
through the "Governor's Building" to turn-in?

Thanks in advance,
John

Fat Woody
10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
OK, serious rookie question... Does anyone know if it's allowed/acceptable to cut
through the "Governor's Building" to turn-in?

Thanks in advance,
John

Yes - at least it was when we were there last in 2008!

PatioDaddio
10-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Yes - at least it was when we were there last in 2008!

Thanks, Woody!

John

ibrisky
10-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Anybody have an idea how early Wednesday someone could drop a trailer?

Also, I read back and it looks like train noise comes into play for lot D but doesn't sound like the Hammond, LA contest type train noise (speeding, horn blaring Amtrak's 10ft away), any insight is appreciated!

djswagg
10-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Went down tonight to check my spot and contemplate set up... Come to find out, Tex Wasabi's is next to me and is going to be filming on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday... Any idea how this is going to effect us? I'm sure some of you have had experience with this. I can't figure out if this will make it more fun, or more of a headache

Bigdog
10-01-2012, 09:47 PM
Anybody have an idea how early Wednesday someone could drop a trailer?

Also, I read back and it looks like train noise comes into play for lot D but doesn't sound like the Hammond, LA contest type train noise (speeding, horn blaring Amtrak's 10ft away), any insight is appreciated!

It's a yard not a main line.

Outnumbered
10-01-2012, 10:38 PM
What about water? we have a camper and may need to load it up with water once in a while. I know we are near electricity, but water?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

mobow
10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
What about water? we have a camper and may need to load it up with water once in a while. I know we are near electricity, but water?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

They have a water tank that comes by everyso often. keith

Leatherheadiowa
10-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Does anyone have a list or know of which hotels offer a shuttle to the American Royal?

Diva
10-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Does anyone have a list or know of which hotels offer a shuttle to the American Royal?

I know Best Western on Southwest Boulevard does. I THINK the Westin Crown Center, Hotel Phillips and possibly the Downtown Marriott.

Jorge
10-02-2012, 11:26 AM
I know Best Western on Southwest Boulevard does. I THINK the Westin Crown Center, Hotel Phillips and possibly the Downtown Marriott.

We had a room at Hotel Phillips last year and they did not have a shuttle. Even with the below list rate we got, it's not on my list of places I'd choose to return to. It wasn't awful, but the combination of new paint smell and really old building smell just didn't work for me.

carlyle
10-02-2012, 11:50 AM
Patio Daddio - this was allowed last year - ask your Ambassador when they check you in.

Outnumbered - yes there is a water wagon - in your packet you get from your Ambassador there should be a number to call to get them to deliver or flag in down when you see it - or ask your Ambassador for help - that is what we are there for.
Might be best to have some with you to get started with until they get to you.
Experience is that water delivery system takes a while to get started up and going.

BJ - we are staying at the Residence Inn on Main St. They do have a shuttle, but not available real early or late. Cab from there is cheap if shuttle not available.
(will look you up when we get to the grounds).

Kevin_Texas
10-02-2012, 01:38 PM
So are greens that you can purchase there good? What do most of you guys do bring it or purchase it there?

Fat Woody
10-03-2012, 08:32 AM
...I can't figure out if this will make it more fun, or more of a headache

A bit of both I suspect.

gmag
01-29-2013, 03:24 PM
What kinds of merchandise does the Royal offer? I saw hey have t-shirts and sweatshirts w/ Royal logos as well as Thermapens. Anything else cool?

Curling Q
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
The royal has all the standard merchandise that any major event would have such as clothing commemorating the event. The on-site store in the main building also offered aprons and pins this past year.

woodhappens
04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
When does 2013 Open applacations come on line to fill out.

What is the Max nu,ber of teams in the OPEN.

Thanks for your time
Joe
Husky Hog BBQ

bbq.tom
04-15-2013, 07:39 AM
What is the Max nu,ber of teams in the OPEN.

Last year it was announced in the judges area that there were 546 teams in the Open, but the "results" sheet only listed 525. I had heard that the cut off would be 550 again this year.

Hope to see you there!

T-BONE AND THE RIBLETS
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
40yards

Meat Man
09-18-2014, 11:22 AM
Is there a service at the Royal that I can contract with that will pump out the gray water from our trailer?

Slamdunkpro
09-18-2014, 03:43 PM
Is there a service at the Royal that I can contract with that will pump out the gray water from our trailer?
I believe the porta pot company will do it (for a price) if they can reach it.

Smitty250
09-19-2014, 09:41 AM
Hey guys - first time doing the Royal here. I know there will be vendors selling pretty much everything but will there be someone selling parsley/green leaf lettuce on site or should I bring in whatever I need?

I also noticed in the packet I got in the mail yesterday that there is a meat vendor on site - anyone have experience with this vendor? I may just need to get ribs...

Thanks for your help!

SOB
09-19-2014, 10:06 AM
In the past Sams has been there. Have trailer on site with a lot of stuff. Meat too

jaestar
09-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Smitty -

Restaurant Depot is about a half mile away and usually has great ribs and parsley. If you don't have a membership you can use my card.

Smitty250
09-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Smitty -

Restaurant Depot is about a half mile away and usually has great ribs and parsley. If you don't have a membership you can use my card.

Awesome - Thanks man! Im in spot 686 - where are you? Great job in Cottonwood BTW...I would have loved to do that comp again but Vegas was calling my name!

Slamdunkpro
09-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Anyone know if the invitational counts for KCBS TOY?

jaestar
09-19-2014, 06:33 PM
I think we are in 481. I will be there from Thursday morning on.

KCBS changed it last year that the Invitational and Dam's Club regionals and finals count towards TOY.

goodsmokebbq
09-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Anyone know if the invitational counts for KCBS TOY?

Don't think so...

OR maybe :-) Should have read the last post...

Rub'n Wood BBQ
09-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Anyone get the packets for this year yet?

ParrotheadHskr
09-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Received ours on Tuesday or Wednesday last week. However we live in KC.

Rub'n Wood BBQ
09-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Same here. I had better figure out where I had it mailed then.

hogzgonewild
09-22-2014, 05:46 PM
So I saw one post above about Gray water.....what is the process/procedure with Gray water at the AR? Can we truck it over to a grassy area or something?

WildcatGirl
09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Is there a Will Call window where passes can be left for people coming in on Saturday?

carlyle
09-24-2014, 03:14 PM
Wildcat Girl- for the best answer, email the organizer.
I have never seen a will call window. There are multiple gates with vigilant guards on all of them.

Best idea I can think of is have them call you when they are outside the gate and you bring them their passes using your own pass to get out then in again and lead them to your site.

If you need help, ask your Ambassador when you are going thru your registration packet together.

YokeUp
09-28-2014, 07:06 AM
We will hold Cooks Church at the main stage area on the Invitational Side just outside of the building at 6:45-7:00 AM on Both Saturday and Sunday.. Hope to see ya there, God bless you!

Rub'n Wood BBQ
09-30-2014, 01:52 PM
Anyone know when the cooks meetings and awards are scheduled.

carlyle
09-30-2014, 03:40 PM
Rub'n Wood -
From this year's schedule Awards for Invitational is 5 pm Saturday
and Open is 4 pm Sunday. Both of those are the same as last year.
Cooks meetings not listed on the schedule on the web site.
From my Ambassador packet from last year - cooks meeting for invitational was
3pm Friday Side dish cooks meeting was 3:30 Friday
and cooks meeting for the Open was 9:30 Saturday.
I would be surprised if those times changed a lot due to the complexity of the whole schedule. Change one thing and everything changes.

That schedule will be in your registration packet you get from your Ambassador at
check in that will have this year's cooks meeting times on it.

As always, you can ask any Ambassador any time for any question.
We will be on duty starting at 8 am Thursday morning.
Hope I see you.

Rub'n Wood BBQ
09-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks Carlyle. That info is very helpful.

We are space 870 so not sure if that is your area.

We will be in and out from Thursday morning on (I am local and plan to utilize my house as much as possible).

Thanks!

Rub'n Wood BBQ
10-01-2014, 02:12 PM
For access on Thursday afternoon, does anyone know if the attached route is available? I was out there today and access is pretty limited and I am trying to guide people in from out of town.

Thanks

HTGGUY
10-02-2014, 09:57 PM
will there be any "live coverage" of the events this weekend

bbqbull
10-03-2014, 05:44 PM

http://www.wiredbbq.com/ :mrgreen:

bbqbull
10-03-2014, 05:44 PM

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wiredbbq-live