PDA

View Full Version : What kind of competitor is your team and why do you do it?

Divemaster
08-07-2009, 10:52 AM
A number of threads recently have gotten me wondering.

What kind of competitor are you and your team and why do you do it? I know that we have some very big names here and there are a number of up and coming ones as well. On the other end of the spectrum there are teams that only compete once a year in a formal comp and tend toward the backyard competitions. So please vote and explain what type you consider yourselves.

Just as a note, I’m not trying to tick off anyone or start any flaming. It’s a simple poll to see what the cross section is of the group in this forum.

Divemaster
08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
While we take it seriously (don’t bother us during turn in), but our friends are more important than a walk. Don’t get me wrong, I love taking the walks, but if I have to make a choice, blood is thicker than Que.

Podge
08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
If I enter and pay money, I am there to win. #1 goal.

If I want to do something and have a good time, I can think of a 1,000 other ways to do it and not spend $600-$800 to do it.

If I wanted to go just to see my freinds and have a good time, I just go to the contest and visit, and save my money. There's been plenty of times I've just done that.

Dale P
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Friday night from 9 pm until 1:30 pm Saturday, we are there to win it. That gives us plenty of time to party. That is why I like staying over Saturday night.

ZILLA
08-07-2009, 11:42 AM
I chose both 4&6 I love the social aspect but I'm very serious about the cooking and I'm there to try and win. I can party at home.

I started cooking comp as a social outlet but I eventually began to feel more and more competitive towards it. Most folks would never guess it though. I'm usually fairly quiet and stay within a small group of our friends.

BBQchef33
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
I chose 4 because it the closest to us, but its really not dont come near us from 6 to 130, its more like you wont see us out of the site from 9 to 130. Someone comes by us, thats fine, we just wont be wandering around and we stick to our site.

except to go get breakfast and coffee of course. :)

chromesporty
08-07-2009, 11:55 AM
We're there for the friendship and fun. We cook our best, and if we walk, it's gravy. I like the cool hardware, so we are tweaking our schedule to include those contests.

If I wanted to make money with my Q, I'd open a restaurant or start catering, but that's to much like work. Remember our team motto, "will BbQ 4 beer"

Dustaway
08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
I chose # 5 to much at steak when you start to add up all the money spent just to enter a contest.

If I want to visit I won't cook the event like podge said

big brother smoke
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
I chose #3 but, I really should have chose #4. I am a competitive som biatch, it doesn't matter what I am doing, I will try and beat you.

The Anchorman
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I chose #3 and #4.
#4 is what we used to be before this year, #3 is what we will be next year.:rolleyes:

YankeeBBQ
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
My choice isn't on there. I just go to bbq competitions to hear Sully yell BaaaaaaahhhhhhhbbbbeeeeeCcccccuuuueeeee !

The Anchorman
08-07-2009, 12:05 PM
My choice isn't on there. I just go to bbq competitions to hear Sully yell BaaaaaaahhhhhhhbbbbeeeeeCcccccuuuueeeee !

I guess that is one of the perks:!:

Smokin' Gnome BBQ
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
I am more of a #3, I do like to walk but like the atmosphere even more. I know BBQ isnt gonna pay the bills but helps take care of the stress of a normal day. Dont get me wrong I am still there to compete, but I dont cry when I dont walk or complain about it. plus it gets me out and about to see if there is still hope for our crazy world..

KC_Bobby
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
I picked #4, but that can be changed from don't bother me from 2am-8am (trying to sleep when nothing is beeping at me) and 10am - 1:30 pm (game time)

Jacked UP BBQ
08-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I pick three, winning is nice, but come over whenever you want. I walk around between turn ins and don't mind people stopping by. I will box in front of you, I can cut and talk at the same time. I am all about socializing and drinking with friends. No game face for me ever, I have fun the entire time, with that I always win.

paydabill
08-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I picked 4 - however, just leave me alone during turn in time. Anyother time is fine - as long as a drink is in hand.

Dale P
08-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I remember at the Jack last year when we went to see the Brethren team and it was bad timing on us. They were running around working hard and Phil dropped everything and welcomed us with a great big smile. We stayed only a few minutes so they could get back to work. I dont mind people coming by but when its time to work I like to leave people alone and expect the same. After turn ins everybody is welcome at our site. We just want to do the best we can.

Chipper
08-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Went with four only because we are new and it's tough enough with the three of us. After a while i can see becoming a three and relaxing a bit.

Yakfishingfool
08-07-2009, 02:37 PM
I chose 4 because it the closest to us, but its really not dont come near us from 6 to 130, its more like you wont see us out of the site from 9 to 130. Someone comes by us, thats fine, we just wont be wandering around and we stick to our site.

Exactly what I would have chosen as well as commented. I love cooking on Phils team 'cause everyone wants to meet/greet/schmooze with Phil. But at turn-in times and stuff it's get it on with the competition, often with people stopping in. Not us wandering around. Scott

Spydermike72
08-07-2009, 02:44 PM
I picked number 4, but really it is from 10:00am -1:30pm for us, and even then I am not too worried about somebody coming up to me that is a competitor. It is the random visitor that is just walking thru that wants to talk about the cooker or how good their ribs are, that bother me.

I am there to have a good time and do as good as I can. I am not going to yell or cuss anyone out that comes by to visit...

bbqdavarrow
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
I would go with 3 and 4 (I am the only serious one on the team) my wife, daughter and the other couple that comes along to help are there to have a good time and help me out) I do all of the cooking, they get to prep the boxes and bring them in. The only time I ever got upset at my daughter in 14 years was when she froze doing the garnish for the box! I love to compete. I even beat our friends 7 year old at a carnival water game - my wife yelled at me and said what is the matter with you, let the kids win!
The best thing about competing is forgetting about the world for the weekend!
dave red planet bbq

JD McGee
08-07-2009, 03:09 PM
I chose #5...I can't speak for the Swamprb...but I'm on a mission to get to the Jack...:-P I'm not so much in it for the $ as I am the championship. :biggrin:

Bentley
08-07-2009, 03:11 PM
I chose #5...I can't speak for the Swamprb...but I'm on a mission to get to the Jack...:-P I'm not so much in it for the $ as I am the championship. :biggrin:

I selected 5 too, its just a hobby, but a serious one. Cooked the Royal in 2003, the Jack would be very nice, but those are some long odds for us.

moocow
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I picked #3.5 we like to visit a little bit in the morning. We get busy about 10:30, we don't mind talking to people while we are getting ready as long as they leave us alone with 15 min. till turn ins. That's just me though, I think Vern feels the same way.

Bbq Bubba
08-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Number A...

My drinking team has a BBQ problem. :cool:

Plowboy
08-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Same here. I just don't have time to venture out of my site most of the time.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-07-2009, 07:01 PM
:biggrin:

MilitantSquatter
08-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Exactly what I would have chosen as well as commented. I love cooking on Phils team 'cause everyone wants to meet/greet/schmooze with Phil. But at turn-in times and stuff it's get it on with the competition, often with people stopping in. Not us wandering around. Scott

Well said boys.. When I was competing on my own, I started out with the best intentions and over time began to absolutely hate it. I became so focused on the performance aspect, that despite consistently good results I became disgusted with everything involved. It got ugly for me and ultimately sold my trailer to BBQ Bandit & the Spicebox to Horse Boy Sacco, etc.

Phil hosted an intervention for me by his little waterfall in the yard and was gracious to allow me to jump on board and bring the fun back. Last year was the first time I really enjoyed myself.. Now I enjoy the teamwork with Phil & Scott, the laughs with all, and the crunch time.

(PS -I'd like to believe I'm a part-time pit beech for Sled. :icon_blush: assuming no conflicts:biggrin:)

dreed
08-08-2009, 09:50 AM
New to the whole comp. circuit. We go with the intentions of having fun, and for the most part 80% of the weekend is fun, But seeing all the great teams we can't help but to become super competitive and try to do nothing but focus from 6am-1330. Recouping some of the cost for the weekend is nice and keeps the wives at bay.

Podge
08-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Geez,.. ok, I'll go ahead and admit I picked #6. Who is the other 9 that did ?

Lippy
08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
If number six said bucks and trophies, probably would've picked it. If you are in it for the money good luck.

watertowerbbq
08-08-2009, 01:40 PM
I picked #4. I really want to do well at the comp. Friday afternoon and evening I like to visit with the other teams. Once the first meat goes on, I don't like to leave my site (except for potty breaks) until all the turns in are done. At that point, I'm usually pretty tired and just want to get everything packed up.

HoDeDo
08-09-2009, 09:45 AM
I chose 4 because it the closest to us, but its really not dont come near us from 6 to 130, its more like you wont see us out of the site from 9 to 130. Someone comes by us, thats fine, we just wont be wandering around and we stick to our site.except to go get breakfast and coffee of course. :)

I pick three, winning is nice, but come over whenever you want. I walk around between turn ins and don't mind people stopping by. I will box in front of you, I can cut and talk at the same time. I am all about socializing and drinking with friends. No game face for me ever, I have fun the entire time, with that I always win.

I agree.... couldnt choose "stay away" -- I've never gotten that serious.
It's still cheaper than owing a boat, win or loose!!! So I look at the money spent as an investment in fun -- just like any other hobby. We compete, to be sure, but not at the expense of havin a great time with our friends.
If I wanted to lock myself in a trailer, and not talk to anyone else, for hours on end, I could do that lots of other ways than spending $600 at a contest :razz: Peter Parker!!!!!!

Jeff_in_KC
08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I picked #4 but also wouldn't say "stay away" from us either. I hope we're not seen as anti-social because with just Tammy and me, we don't often venture out to other cook camps either unless they're within one or two away from us (or I've enjoyed WAY too much Templeton!). We welcome anyone that comes in to visit. I don't even mind someone stopping by during a turn-in as along as they stay out of the way and just watch until Tammy takes it away!

Coz
08-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I chose # 5 and some days you hate yourself for being an over competitive bunghole but its what God made us. I just cant be happy with a 5th or 7th or 10th thats just the way it is.Guess its going to be a long month.

bayoustylebbq
08-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I picked #3... Mostly because I don't care if people stop by and chat, have a beer or ask questions. I am there to compete and win, but if I don't have a good time with my friends, its too much like work. EVERYONE is always welcome in my camp, no matter what time it is. (I'm a sleep from 12-4am BTW)

(I may just turn my back on you while I'm slicing and putting meat in a box)... :icon_blush::tongue:

tonto1117
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I chose 5 but really wish there was a 4 1/2 option. We like to hang out and socialize but try to roll in early if possible so that we have time to do that before game time. I figure that's why it's called Competition BBQ and not "let's all hang out and party BBQ".....I could think of a lot better ways to hang out with our friends, cook and party for $500 to $800 bucks a clip.

Stoke&Smoke
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I think we're a 3 and 1/2. We have had folks watch us when we're doing boxes, and as long as they aren't talking to me or distracting me in some other way I think we're fine with it.

Yes, we want to win, as others have pointed out, but we look forward to seeing old freinds, and making new ones at each outing we head to.

Hopefully, now that we've abandoned the tent for a pop up camper, setups and teardowns will go smoother, and we can relax and enjoy ourselves a bit more!

We consider ourselves blessed to have met the likes of all the brethren we've met at the 7 comps (so far) we've cooked. I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a better group of folks!

That said, now that I know what it feels like to get a money call, the hook is firmly set!