PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment 4th annual jim dandy's bbq cook off, 18-19 sept 09, sharonville, ohio (cincinnati - porkopolis)

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
anyone going? last year there were exactly 25 teams. don't make me win this thing! :biggrin:

http://www.jimdandybbq.com/Events.html

JayAre
08-04-2009, 06:23 PM
anyone going? last year there were exactly 25 teams. don't make me win this thing! :biggrin:

We plan on being there, to close to home to pass up, we just hope they get the 25 again this year. (Maybe we can get Mandy-Q to make another cameo):lol:

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-05-2009, 05:33 AM
hmmmmm, that would really suck to not have at least 25 teams.

Double D's BBQ
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Will there even be a contest this year?

U2CANQUE
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Will there even be a contest this year?
was still waiting to hear that.....

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-05-2009, 06:17 PM
why would you think there isn't a contest? it doesn't say cancelled on the kcbs site, it's on the jim dandy website, they sent mailers in snail mail...

do you guys know something I don't? have you emailed them?

there certainly won't be a contest if no one shows up. i can guarantee you that.

Dale P
08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I wouldnt mind cooking this one. The date seems like a problem for me, but not for sure either way. i will look into it and will decide after madison. If Rick and Rob are coming, we just might judge, hahaha.

Double D's BBQ
08-06-2009, 03:37 AM
Let's just say that a large percentage of the cooks that cooked this contest last year say they will never cook this contest again, myself included. Last I heard prize money had not been guaranteed. They will be lucky to get 15-20 teams this year. If you like getting your trophies in December then this is the contest for you!

Don't you remember the uproar last year when they only paid out 3 places in each category despite KCBS rules saying that 5 is required. Or the water park passes that were considered as part of the prize pool.

There are better contests to support in Ohio like Kettering and Nelsonville. I say support the contests that support the cooks.

Double D's BBQ
08-06-2009, 04:00 AM

You better put an asterick after 25 teams last year.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-06-2009, 05:54 AM
yes, i remember last year and all the bitchin.

you mean there weren't 25 teams last year?

this is right down the road from my house so it's hard for me to justify not attending. also, jim dandy is a sponsor of a non-profit foundation i am involved with ( www.reggaerun.com (http://www.reggaerun.com) ) that benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation so maybe consider they are really not as bad as you might think. also, maybe they plan on improving their comp this year. do you have information to prove otherwise? where did you hear the prize money wasn't guaranteed?

anyway, i plan to support all three comps in ohio. i'm sending in my check to jim dandy's today.

Double D's BBQ
08-06-2009, 06:25 AM
No there weren't 25 teams last year. There were a couple of fabricated teams to make 25. I don't have to tell you that you were there.

And lets be perfectly clear about this. This contest is to promote Jim Dandy's restuarant not any charitable cause.

My information on the guarantee of the prize money came from KCBS. Pehaps its funded now, I don't know but as of the date of the Kettering contest it was not. And he's back to the same old tricks of mixing in the inflated value of prizes to get the prize pool up to $5000.

I've competed in this contest twice. The only improvement I've seen is in the venue which was great last year. The majority of my frustration with the contest came after the contest was over. None of my emails or calls to the organizer was given the courtesy of a return call or email. In the end I had to go to KCBS to get my trophies, 3 months after the competition.

If this sounds like a contest that you'ld like to support that's your decision. In the end we get the kind of contests we deserve and support. I choose not to support this one. All I can say is buyer beware!

Good luck with the contest and see you at Nelsonville.

The Pigman
08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Dallas You are right, he is only doing it to PROMOTE his business and he will tell you that. He has no intrest in following any rules by KCBS.

You rec something in Dec. I did not rec anything (4th place brisket) until I treatened to go to KCBS in Feb ( I think)of this Year. Then I got a wood plack and no money>>>>>>

I am the closest one to this I believe but I will never compete there again.

I will never eat at Jims resturant again or promote his business again. He has lost here with me. They send out a mail letter and email and I respond telling them to take me off of their email list that I will never compete there again and I get another telling about comp. Its like they never even read their emails?? Well they didnt respond to any after contest last year until I called and left message. Then I got a wood plaque.

Very poor Competition with no regard to the teams or anyone travling to get there.

Didnt like the rep that was there either last year. I ask him about paying out to the top 3 only and he told me that is up to Jim.

I know Rick got money at Bass pro to spend and you got gift cretificate I guess 4th place dont deserve???

No there weren't 25 teams last year. There were a couple of fabricated teams to make 25. I don't have to tell you that you were there.

And lets be perfectly clear about this. This contest is to promote Jim Dandy's restuarant not any charitable cause.

My information on the guarantee of the prize money came from KCBS. Pehaps its funded now, I don't know but as of the date of the Kettering contest it was not. And he's back to the same old tricks of mixing in the inflated value of prizes to get the prize pool up to $5000.

I've competed in this contest twice. The only improvement I've seen is in the venue which was great last year. The majority of my frustration with the contest came after the contest was over. None of my emails or calls to the organizer was given the courtesy of a return call or email. In the end I had to go to KCBS to get my trophies, 3 months after the competition.

If this sounds like a contest that you'ld like to support that's your decision. In the end we get the kind of contests we deserve and support. I choose not to support this one. All I can say is buyer beware!

The Pigman
08-06-2009, 08:54 AM
Ok thats my $.02 worth I will now bow out.........

Double D's BBQ
08-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Roger,

I'm sorry to hear that you had problems as well. The good new is, is that Phil and Kathy Brazier are the reps this year. They are still trying to make things right from last years contest. Phil and Kathy are two of the best reps in the country and will try to make things right for you, if you let them know. Phil is a Brethren and will probably chime in on this thread before too long.

The sad thing is, is that the organizer is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. He is just not very organized and does not promote his contest. I'm sure with a little promotion and paying attention to the KCBS rules he could have a 40 team or more contest. I mean after all Cincinnati is Porkopolis.

We also did not receive any funds for a fifth place finish in a category but we did receive a plaque.

I hope the contest does get its act together. We are originally form the Dayton area and have family and friends there so it is particularly painful for us not to do this comp.

Hopefully we'll see you at Nelsonville as well.

Dallas

CaptTable
08-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Hey, Folks! Just got off the phone with Jim and he informed me that it looks like Sharonville will be going all Backyard this year. No Sanctioning. I informed him that he needed to contact KCBS and let them know, so look for something official soon.

Kathy & I really hate to hear this as we always look forward to contests "up there". We stopped and had a nice chat with Jim as we were headed home from Kettering and it didn't sound good then. We pretty much put it on the line for him what we felt he needed to do to get back the confidence of you the teams and he just couldn't get it together for this year. Hopefully, things can come together for 2010. In our book, Jim is a heck of a guy and we will always try to help him in any way we can.

CaptTable
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM
KCBS just contacted us and said it was officially cancelled. Dang!

Double D's BBQ
08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully he'll be able to regroup and have a successful event next year.

I remember Nelsonville being on the brink last year but the new management listened to the cooks and did everything they could to regain their trust and confidence. I hope Jim can do the same.

JayAre
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
We really hate to see that...Ohio now only has two contests, Someone needs to step up and make ohio stand out....Fergy?? (wpafb)

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-06-2009, 07:25 PM

ummmm... i didn't say the contest benefited and charitable cause... did i?

here is what i said:
"also, jim dandy is a sponsor of a non-profit foundation i am involved with ( www.reggaerun.com (http://www.reggaerun.com) ) that benefits the Make-A-Wish Foundation so maybe consider they are really not as bad as you might think."

thanks for clarifying it so people wouldn't be misguided by my statement.

and dude, there were 25 teams there competing last year. i was there. i know what happened. there were 25. so what if a team was "fabricated" as you say. were there 25 competing teams or not? are you saying there were really 24 or 23 and you want to file a complaint or something? i'm not understanding your purpose in bringing it up unless you have some huge problem with it.

so what if the contest was to promote his business? do you think the American legion in kettering promoted their business with their comp?

anyway, yeah, there were some problems with the comp last year. i guess no one is perfect. have you ever tried to organize a bbq competition? i know i sure haven't and i've only competed in three so i guess i'm still too new to have this incredible competitive drive that outweighs any chance of just enjoying the moment for what it is, no matter what the outcome.

take a step back once and think about it. i cook food at comps to be eaten by my friends and family, not just to put some in the box and throw the rest away...

SINCE THE COMP IS CANCELED, MODS DELETE THIS THREAD. please.

Double D's BBQ
08-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Yeah so what if a teams were fabricated. The hell with the integrity of competition BBQ. The end justifies the means. So what if cooks are treated poorly. So what if KCBS rules aren't followed. So what if cooks are cheated out of prize money. Well believe it or not to most people these things are important as evidenced by the lack of teams signing up for this contest this year. The Jim Dandy's contest had three tries at getting this right and showed no signs of doing so in year four.

And by the way, the American Legion was not promoting anything. The American Legion is the charitable cause that this contest is being held for and was gracious enough to allow the competiton to take place on their beautiful site. The contest is organized by Jim Ferguson and Jimmy Weaver who treat teams right and know how to run a contest. As a veteran of 21 years of service I applaud Jim for his efforts in supporting veterans who served in combat to protect our freedoms. I find your comment offensive regarding the American Legion.

What Ohio does not need is more contests. What Ohio needs are more quality contests that follow the rules set by KCBS. Hopefully Jim Dandy's can regroup and come back next year and with a contest that meets KCBS standard and will work hard to regain the faith and trust of the cooks.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-07-2009, 05:19 AM
thanks for the info. i work with Jimmy Weaver. one of the the tams you are referring to as being fabricated was fabricated by Jim Ferguson. Don't get mad at me, take it up with him. don't get mad at me because of what did or didn't happen at last year's jim dandy comp. i was merely a second time competitor. after all this, i'm not sure i want to compete anymore at all. it's just not worth it.

you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence.

MODS, DELETE THIS THREAD.

Double D's BBQ
08-07-2009, 06:30 AM
The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year.

Double D's BBQ
08-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Personally, I'd like to see this thread stay up. I think it raises a fundamental question that goes to the heart of the integrity of the sport and the qualifier status of BBQ competitions. Mods if you do decided to delete this thread, please at least spin this off into a new thread beginning with this post. I'd love to hear other Brethren's opinion on this issue.

Question #1 - Is it legal to fabricate teams at KCBS contests to achieve the minimum number of 25 teams in order to achieve qualifying status.

Question #2 - (Ethical Dilemma) - If you won the contest and received an invite to Jack Daniel's based on a contest reaching the minimum level of teams to make it a qualifier by the fabricating of teams would you accept the invitation or not? Would you report the incident to KCBS?

I think the answer to #1 is it depends on the circumstances. If members of existing teams at the contest are spun off to make another team to make it a qualifier than they should have to abide by the same rules as other teams. They should have to 1. pay the entry fee, 2. provide their own meats, rubs, sauces, and equipment. To not pay the entry fee and contribute to the contest pool only cheats other teams in the contest especially if the team takes money out of the prize pool without putting money in. I believe any deviation from this exception is not within KCBS rules. What say you?

In regards to Question #2 thats only a question one can answer if they find themselves in that spot. It's very easy to answer hypothetically as to what we would do but another to remove ourselves from consideration. People are human and flawed. I like to think I'd do the right thing and withdraw my name from consideration. I'd hate to make the Jack knowing that the contest I won was flawed or deprive the winner of a qualifying contest the right to go to the Jack. What say you?

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
ummmm, i used the word "fabricate" because that is what you said, Dallas. I have no information anything was done illegally or that entrance fees were not paid. Obviously, you have some beef with the whole process at last year's Jim Dandy comp. Now I'm probbably in trouble with Jim and i'm posting from work so i'll probably get fired.

great.

HOW THE FARK DO I GET THIS THREAD DELETED?!

JayAre
08-07-2009, 11:43 AM
For the record, I was set up next to Jim, he stayed as clear as he could of the so called "fabricated team" so that no inpropriety was preceived. There were several teams that got together to help get this team in the game, including the GC, it was mutually benefital to everyone there. And just for the record, this fabricated team only had a minimal amount of help and took 3rd place.

I agree, Sharonville had its problems, got my first top 5 there and no check, not the end of the world but does put a bad taste in the mouth.

Rick's Tropical Delight
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
hey JayAre! did you post that from work? you are fired too! :biggrin:

hey DD, you really need to take your legal post to a new thread. no one is seeing it and responding to it here. and put up a poll so people can vote.

sorry to offend you but anyone that puts on a bbq competition is promoting their business whether you like it or not. it has nothing to do with being a non-profit or for charity or being affiliated with the military. i've worked for the air force since 1982 so don't try and pull that card.

"The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year."

let me see... how could a contest drive itself out of existence. that's a tough one.

here is what i said:
"you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence."
and yet you continue to argue the issue and say this:
"The contest drove itself out of existence. Teams vote with their feet and spoke loudly on this one. We were just trying to give you a heads up that there were problems with this contest getting off the ground this year."

i maintain that you guys have gotten your way, you've driven a comp out of existence. you said the exact same thing, but feel compelled to argue with me about it for some reason. the reason you continue to argue and raise this new legal issue, as far as i can tell, is you do not believe shigs-in-pit should be shown as a state champion in ohio for 2008. my recommendation is to take this up with KCBS.

this is my 2 cents and IMHO as a newbie to the competition world. i'll also add that all this carp and all the other issues i read about here make me not want to compete in another comp. three and out.

and mods, delete this thread. please. i beg you.

The Pigman
08-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Well I do have to agree with Dallas that the cookoff was done in by the promoter. I know Jim and I will be the first to say I got shafted last year. Now just so we are are on the same page I myself shafted myself at kettering this year. So I do put the blame where it should go.. Last year emails before the sharonville comp and after went unanswered. Kettering is Kettering because of the time and energy that the Jims both put into it. I took the judges class at kettering with Jim Emig and it seemed he could not grasp the idea of how to judge by his questions and remarks. This carried over to how he ran the sharonville cookoff. There are teams that travel a good distance, Pay alot of money (in these hard times) and you would hope all play fair. Last year at sharonville I saw enough to know I would never go back. I almost gave up on comps all together there. There were judges going around Sat morning talking to teams and drinking beer. When Jim was questioned on paying out only top 3 is was like if he didnt know the KCBS rules. I always thought Jim was a good guy to until the cookoff. I left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Jorge
08-09-2009, 09:14 PM
I think you guys have kicked the crap out of each other enough, for a while.