PDA

View Full Version : Competiton BBQ Rib Question

RX2006JE
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I am entering my first KCBS competition and really it will be my first competition at all. What does a KCBS judge look for in ribs as far as an overall taste. I know about the texture and appearance, but not sure as far as a taste factor goes. I have never tasted Championship BBQ so I have nothing to compare my recipe to. Any advice would be appreciated about what a championship should taste like.

BBQ Grail
08-01-2009, 06:59 PM
(I'm going to take a seat in the front row for this one...)

watertowerbbq
08-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Championship BBQ should..............well..............taste good. :-D:-D

watertowerbbq
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
OK that was too easy. KCBS contests typically like sweet sauces here in Iowa. I can't speak specifically to Alabama. In general, cook what tastes good to you. Remember, the judges are just regular people too. You might consider cooking something that fits your regional taste. In some parts of the country, spicy foods are the norm and in others sweet rules the day.

Nitrofly
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
(I'm going to take a seat in the front row for this one...)

Can I sit next to you for this one too :icon_blush:

Kirk
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
I don't know that there's a particular taste that will guarantee you success but you almost can't go wrong with something sweet. The term "rib candy" didn't come about by accident. Beyond that, balance of flavors will be one of the the most important factors.
My criteria:
1. Does the flavor get your attention?
2. Is it a nice balance between sweet, spicy, savory, salty...?
3. Does it make you want to take another bite?

Beyond that, it's all subjective. Sorry that doesn't really answer your question but if there was one definitive answer there wouldn't be much point in having a contest.

Edit: I have the text that KCBS gives to the judges packet explaining what they should be looking for and I will post it if you like. The unfortunate thing is that Jim Minion emailed it to me at work and I don't have it right here. I can put it up Monday if that helps.

Sledneck
08-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Candy on a bone

RX2006JE
08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
That would be helpful Kirk thanks
Mostly what I am used to and like it sweet with some low heat, generally trying to find out what flavor most KCBS judges give the best scores (i.e. teams that consistently place well are they generally using sweet). I am leaning toward Sweet.

MilitantSquatter
08-01-2009, 10:47 PM
I think Kirk's response nailed it... no magic answer but a good balance is key..

Seems you may be using your own rub and not a commerical rub which is fine.. If your proud of what you've come up with, you owe it to yourself to try it at least once to see how it fares. Don't stress out.. If you enjoy the contest, and the ribs don't do so well, there's always next time to try something different or give it another shot and see if it was just at the wrong table that first time out.

Rhapsody
08-02-2009, 12:03 AM
From judging competitions here in the NE, I find that more often than not the thing that the ribs taste least like is...pork. Balance is the key. Sweet and Spice is the obvious balancing act that most people run into trouble with, but salt is also something else that should be right on. That means actually having some in the rub or sauce. That's one thing I think alot of people forget about.

Yakfishingfool
08-02-2009, 06:30 AM
It should not taste like ham, it should not be overly spicey, it should not be a unique new flavor profile.

Each region has it's own flavor profile. Where you are is different than where I am. all the categories require a repetitive experimentation, tweaking as you go to get the flavor profile for your region. When I first thought of competing I thought "Oh, I got this garlicky rub that will knock them dead"....that's not what they want, they want BBQ....middle of the road. Start with your rub, then start tweaking and competing and see where it takes you. Unsure? Get a mass produced rub and tweak with additions, sauces and glazes. Good luck!!!

Ford
08-02-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't know that there's a particular taste that will guarantee you success but you almost can't go wrong with something sweet. The term "rib candy" didn't come about by accident. Beyond that, balance of flavors will be one of the the most important factors.
My criteria:
1. Does the flavor get your attention?
2. Is it a nice balance between sweet, spicy, savory, salty...?
3. Does it make you want to take another bite?

Excellent answer. And remember - ONE BITE. Take on bite and ask yourself do I get all the flavors I want in that bite? If not then more rub or sweet or whatever. If you can eat three of your ribs without your mouth saying spicy and your stomach saying I'm going to ..... then it's not spicy or sweet enough.

Candy on a bone
1 slab spares trimmed plus 1 lb brown sugar plus butter plus honey then at the end sauce with honey in it. Yes it is sweet but with enough rub it's also tangy. We hate them but neighobrs love them ands sometimes the judges do as well

ique
08-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I am entering my first KCBS competition and really it will be my first competition at all. What does a KCBS judge look for in ribs as far as an overall taste. I know about the texture and appearance, but not sure as far as a taste factor goes. I have never tasted Championship BBQ so I have nothing to compare my recipe to. Any advice would be appreciated about what a championship should taste like.

Super sweet but with enough savory and heat mixed in to balance it. Light smoke, very very tender and juicy helps too.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
I stay away from heat completely. I go for candy. I cannot stand our ribs, but the funny thing is when I cook four racks for comp and sell the rest vending people get there order and get back on line. I would look for a really good commercial rub and see what you really like and roll with it. Just remember color plays just as much roll in ribs as flavor

Uncle Buds BBQ
08-02-2009, 01:21 PM
All VERY good answers from guys who have been around for a while. Just don't forget you need to taste the meat too. Some times I get so wrapped up in the sweet / tangy thing when blending my rub and sauce...I forget about the meat. Just a thought.

big brother smoke
08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
If little kids devour them and equate them to being sweet, you may have hit the nail on the head!

The kids will also be extremely hyper; do not ask me how I know this :rolleyes:

RX2006JE
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful
Thanks guys