PDA

View Full Version : Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Nevada Kiwanis BBQ, Nevada, IA, 8/28-8/29, 2009

Buster Dog BBQ
07-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Let the smack talk start. Last sanctioned contest in Iowa. For those in the Iowa BBQ Society the point total for each category is incredibly close.

All I can say is for this contest I sure hope they get good judges with so much on the line.

Also unlike last year, I am told we don't be on a hill this year. Supoosed to be in the campground or the lower flat area. More details to come.

Apps are on the IBS site. iabbq.org.

See ya there.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
We'll be there defending our 24th out of 27th placement overall from last year. ;-) Looking forward to it.

Heard they might have some problems getting 25 teams...

KC_Bobby
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Heard they might have some problems getting 25 teams...

With the other fall cancellations in IA, one would think this would be to Nevada's advantage. We'll be there, sent in our app today.

I hope this is in an RV park - if so, I suggest we get a bunch of teams to stick around Saturday night and have a little year end celebration (year end for KCBS sanctioned comps in IA).

My math has Boondoggle .00005 behind Tippy Canoe and .0001 behind A Boy and His BBQ in pork. Hoping for a good score so we can dump the 164.0000 from LPC. Our ribs can finish no lower then a 169.0000 average. A 170+ brisket score could give us a chance to jump into the top 5 there too. But alas, even a 180 chicken would not put us in the top 5 - shocking, I know :roll:.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 02:31 PM
With the other fall cancellations in IA, one would think this would be to Nevada's advantage. We'll be there, sent in our app today.

I hope this is in an RV park - if so, I suggest we get a bunch of teams to stick around Saturday night and have a little year end celebration (Year end for KCBS sanctioned comps in IA)

My math has Boondoggle .00005 behind Tippy Canoe and .0001 behind A Boy and His BBQ in pork. Hoping for a good score so I can omit the 164.0000 from LPC. Our ribs can finish no lower then a 169.0000 average. A high brisket score might put us up in the top 5 there too. But alas, even a 180 chicken would not put us in the top 5.

What a great idea! I don't think it is in an rv park, but I remember they didn't have problem with electricity last year. Either way, we'll stick around, and if people want to take turns driving to my place to shower up or anything, that would be fine as well.:-D

pat
07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
Sending the app today. I am up for sticking around Saturday night. That is unless I bomb like I did in Mason City :eusa_clap

BBQ_Mayor
07-27-2009, 03:12 PM
We'll be there.

Hey Bob, this campground is very small. I don' think they could get everybody in it but maybe there is more to it than I remember.. And the power has always been ify.
I ran off a generator last year.

KC_Bobby
07-27-2009, 03:43 PM
I just got a call from FC, Here's a run down of what I asked and his feedback:

Location - on some old tennis courts. Now I'm not sure how many tennis courts, but I don't know what to expect to get in 25-40 teams on that. He said something about teams requesting level space

Space Size - at least 20x20, request something larger if you need it. I mentioned to him that most of the regulars around IA have trailers larger then 20' long

Elect - he mentioned that elect has not been a problem in the past, we'll all have access to run an extension cord. I asked if he means regular household power (20 amp) and he said yes. I asked if we could run two lines and he didn't think that would be a problem

Saturday night - he didn't think it would be a problem if teams wanted to stick around Saturday, but he wasn't the final word

Anyone know anything about these tennis courts/location he's talking about?

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Yeah they are right to the west of where everything was last year. I don't think there will be enough space for everyone on them, but perhaps some will be on them and some on grass. I think the unlevel spaces were the worst part of the event last year--otherwise a good competition. FC is a great guy. The problem with finding the location is that they want the comp to be close to where all the people are, but the carnivale rides and vending takes up a lot of the useable space in the area. At the same time, for electricity they need to locate us close to the lodge which houses it. The lodge is located at the top of a small hill the slopes towards the creek, hence the unlevel spaces.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I thought we were going to tip over last year due to how unlevel it was.

I remember seeing a lot of cords plugged into that house with the power.

KC_Bobby
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
Ryan, I'm trying to google map the location. Roughly what intersection are we looking at? The only tennis courts I see are at 4th and I Avenue near the west side of town. Is that the location?

KC_Bobby
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
OK, who's got enough power that we can share some generator power? I can offer parsley.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
OK, who's got enough power that we can share some generator power? I can offer parsley.

My father-in-law has a huge honda generator. Not sure how much power it puts out, nor if he is cool about the idea of us using it. When he gets back from Alaska later this week, I will check.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
The location is between the huge cemetary on the west side of town and the county fairgrounds. I'll get a link in a moment.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Ryan, I'm trying to google map the location. Roughly what intersection are we looking at? The only tennis courts I see are at 4th and I Avenue near the west side of town. Is that the location?

Yes this is the location. Just to the east and alond I Ave is the building where turn-ins and awards is.

KC_Bobby
07-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Carnival rides? Where do they go? Fitting 30 teams around those 3 tennis courts is gonna be tight.

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
The carnival rides go to the south closer to the creek. I would imagine if teams don't care about an unlevel spot, they could still go around the shelter.

The way they did it last year was first come, first serve as far as spots go.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
I thought that was the strangest thing last year. It was so quiet then on the other side of the buildings was this who county fair thing.

BBQ_Mayor
07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Yea, it's going to be tight.
You remember the scene in Christmas Vacation where Ellen hit the light switch with all the outlets on it? Picture that while plugging in.

Shotgun
07-27-2009, 07:57 PM
I could probably line up a honda as well, the nearest power will be at the shelter building. If they dont have the buckskins in the flat lands this year, there will be plenty of room, just a long way to run cords. Saturday night there is a street dance at the end of the midway, if you like country music.

pat
07-27-2009, 08:01 PM
I can probably get a Honda as well. Should have room for someone to hook up if I can get it.

Smokin' Joe
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Were going north instead of south that weekend (Albert Lea, Mn). I also heard several "usual" Iowa KCBS contest teams are going to Emmetsburg for the non-sanctioned event that weekend...Albert Lea has 4 teams so far:eek:. Three comps 120 miles apart might be too many up here...

pat
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
We talked about going to the Emmetsburg comp. Good payout and proly low turn out. We are not a "usual" team though :roll:.

monty3777
07-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I'm off to Ireland but will be back for that comp. See you all then and there!

musicmanryann
07-28-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm off to Ireland but will be back for that comp. See you all then and there!

Ireland!? Have you been there before? One of the greatest places on earth! Have a great time!

BIG T'z
07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
We'll be there.

Hey Bob, this campground is very small. I don' think they could get everybody in it but maybe there is more to it than I remember.. And the power has always been ify.
I ran off a generator last year.
We needed a loooooong cord last year!! Our first comp!! Nice park, good teams! We will bring a generator, if Dr. Dan (Ryan's father in-law) will let us use it?!? Looking forward to seeing all that make it!! Saturday night is a great idea!
P.S Congrats to all that walked in MC!! It was a great weekend!! Ray, we want the hats back!!:lol::icon_cool

BIG T'z
07-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Were going north instead of south that weekend (Albert Lea, Mn). I also heard several "usual" Iowa KCBS contest teams are going to Emmetsburg for the non-sanctioned event that weekend...Albert Lea has 4 teams so far:eek:. Three comps 120 miles apart might be too many up here...
Thanks for the tour of the trailer!! You're team is top notch! I think you kept Ryan up a little late!?! See ya round the "Q"!!
Terry " Big T" :icon_cool

BBQ_Mayor
07-28-2009, 09:59 AM
I think Big T'z need to go North too.:mrgreen:

You know it is Chest to Chest qualifier now don't you? And a chance at a draw out of Minnesota..Come on, give us guys a chance.:rolleyes:

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah T, you've been putting a lot of hours on the road, it might be Ryan's turn to mash the gas for a few hours.

That said, we need 25 teams in Nevada.

Smokin' Joe
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the tour of the trailer!! You're team is top notch! I think you kept Ryan up a little late!?! See ya round the "Q"!!
Terry " Big T" :icon_cool

No problem Terry...but I think it was Ryan that kept us up with the temptation of templeton:lol:

You better stay in Nevada the weather will be much better in there...hell it could snow in Minnesota in late August:grin:

watertowerbbq
07-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah T, you've been putting a lot of hours on the road, it might be Ryan's turn to mash the gas for a few hours.

That said, we need 25 teams in Nevada.

How many teams are signed up?

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I don't know, but Watertower would make it one more.

pat
07-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Come on Matt!

Buster Dog BBQ
07-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Matt, last one in Iowa.

DMDon
07-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Come on Matt, you can fo it.

The Turk
07-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Yea that was ba planning - I'm sure Albert Lea will have over 30 teams and I hope Nevada gets 25 and then I hope they get together next year and pick seperate weekends.

watertowerbbq
07-29-2009, 06:57 PM
As they say........................the check is in the mail. :-D:-D

Can't wait to get there and see everyone!

pat
07-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Nice work! See ya there.

KC_Bobby
07-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Matt is in the house!

Buster Dog BBQ
07-29-2009, 10:24 PM
Yea that was ba planning - I'm sure Albert Lea will have over 30 teams and I hope Nevada gets 25 and then I hope they get together next year and pick seperate weekends.
Last year it was on 8/22 and they were asked to move it back by KCBS this year is what I was told.

musicmanryann
07-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Last year it was on 8/22 and they were asked to move it back by KCBS this year is what I was told.

Which one was told? Are they both associated with bigger events?

Buster Dog BBQ
07-30-2009, 09:40 AM
Ryan, I heard it was Nevada was asked to move theirs.

KC_Bobby
08-03-2009, 11:12 AM
I know it's early, but I'll be bringing a case of parsley. (Calling ahead this time to see if I can get one reserved.) Who wants in? Previous buyers get first chance - Woodfellas, Buster Dog, Tippy Canoe.

One case - I can split with 3 more teams might have enough for another so if you're low Saturday morning and need some for boxes - find one of us.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
I know it's early, but I'll be bringing a case of parsley. (Calling ahead this time to see if I can get one reserved.) Who wants in? Previous buyers get first chance - Woodfellas, Buster Dog, Tippy Canoe.

One case - I can split with 3 more teams might have enough for another so if you're low Saturday morning and need some for boxes - find one of us.

I'll take some.

pat
08-06-2009, 08:19 AM
Anybody heard how many teams we have yet?

musicmanryann
08-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I just inquired with someone in the know. Hopefully we will have our answer by today.

musicmanryann
08-06-2009, 11:03 PM
Good news! I just heard back from Kenna Jo Lambertsen and she said they were at 32-33 teams! This is up from 27 they had last year! Should be a great time! :-)

BBQ_Mayor
08-07-2009, 06:27 AM
WOW! Nice showing at this contest.

Bring a generator if you have one.

KC_Bobby
08-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Based on the email that was sent out by Kenna Jo last night, it looks like all the regulars. What happened to some of them going to Emmittsburg?

Big Mike's BBQ
08-14-2009, 08:53 AM
When I talked to Kenna Jo Tuesday she said that they were up to 36 teams. Can wait to see you all there.

Big Mike

watertowerbbq
08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
Based on the email that was sent out by Kenna Jo last night, it looks like all the regulars. What happened to some of them going to Emmittsburg?

Bob,
What was in th e-mail? I don't think I got it.

KC_Bobby
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
I think I remember that you were on the list, it was a bunch of blah blah blah - nothing important. PM me your email address and I'll forward it.

watertowerbbq
08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I think I remember that you were on the list, it was a bunch of blah blah blah - nothing important. PM me your email address and I'll forward it.

PM Sent. Thanks.

pat
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Just got an email from Kenna (see portion below). We are getting precooked beef ribs and are supposed to reheat for the public sampling?? Never had that happen at a contest yet. Is it normal to get precooked meats for the public? Not sure I am into that.....

"The meat that will be provided for public tasting will be beef ribs (which have been cooked and will only need to be reheated), pork ribs and possibly pork loin."

KC_Bobby
08-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I'm not hip on it either but I guess I do understand it gets the public involved with the teams. We did something very similar to it at the Qlossal (although we cooked it) and it wasn't that much of a pain. I assume it will go pretty fast - I just hope it doesn't get in the way of actual work like prepping.

I found it more disappointing that meat check ins don't start til 2:00.

pat
08-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Yeah saw the 2:00 thang. Not good. I don't have a problem with the samples, just sampling something that I didn't cook I guess.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Last year they have us a package of ribs as well but it was for us to eat.

So who's sticking around Sat night? What's the scoop?

BBQ_Mayor
08-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Just got an email from Kenna (see portion below). We are getting precooked beef ribs and are supposed to reheat for the public sampling?? Never had that happen at a contest yet. Is it normal to get precooked meats for the public? Not sure I am into that.....

"The meat that will be provided for public tasting will be beef ribs (which have been cooked and will only need to be reheated), pork ribs and possibly pork loin."

This is provide by W&G Marketing, one of the contest sponsors. They did this last year and I thought those beef ribs were fantastic. I don't mind warming them up and saying go to W&G Marketing to buy them.

musicmanryann
08-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Last year they have us a package of ribs as well but it was for us to eat.

So who's sticking around Sat night? What's the scoop?

We are staying and are prepared to celebrate the end of the Iowa BBQ season in style!

musicmanryann
08-21-2009, 12:25 PM
This is provide by W&G Marketing, one of the contest sponsors. They did this last year and I thought those beef ribs were fantastic. I don't mind warming them up and saying go to W&G Marketing to buy them.

Yeah we just warmed them up and cut em into bite sized pieces and threw some sauce on them. It is a little weird, but we didn't mind.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
I talked to FC today. 40 teams is what they are expecting and can accommodate more. Said their is no issue for staying around Sat night. This is really shaping up to be a big contest for a couple reasons.

1. The IBS TOY points are tight. The brisket category is less than a 1 point difference from places 1-4.

2. Smokey D's needs one more win for an automatic Jack birth and this is his last contest to get it before the cutoff date.

watertowerbbq
08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Yeah saw the 2:00 thang. Not good. I don't have a problem with the samples, just sampling something that I didn't cook I guess.

I'm hoping they are flexible on this and can get it done earlier. Actually, I am a little annoyed at this because of the cooking for the public. I don't have a problem with cooking for the public and I don't have a problem with a later meat check time, but when they combine these I think it gets tough to properly prep and cook the meat for the public and at the same time getting my contest meat ready. Enough ranting..........I'm really looking forward to getting up there and seeing everyone!:-D

KC_Bobby
08-22-2009, 11:03 PM
Smokey Who?

Mustang Sally
08-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Sounds like it will be a full house in Nevada...or close to it. Anybody hear how Albert Lea is doing for teams?

Rookie'48
08-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Smokey Who?

You know - he's the guy that said that his chicken was so bad in W'loo that he thought Boondoggle cooked it :twisted:. But that was before you got a call iin chicky at La Porte City :-D.

p.s. - I'll be there Friday with the travel trailer.

BIG T'z
08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
This is provide by W&G Marketing, one of the contest sponsors. They did this last year and I thought those beef ribs were fantastic. I don't mind warming them up and saying go to W&G Marketing to buy them.. Last year they were still frozen, beef short ribs when we got them!:sad: Had to scramble to get them ready, put them on the Weber kettle, slapped some sauce on them and hoped they would'nt still be cold! We got 'er done!?! Look forward to seeing everyone in Neveda!!:grin:

BBQ_Mayor
08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
. Last year they were still frozen, beef short ribs when we got them!:sad: Had to scramble to get them ready, put them on the Weber kettle, slapped some sauce on them and hoped they would'nt still be cold! We got 'er done!?! Look forward to seeing everyone in Neveda!!:grin:

Yea, I put mine on the gasser. Gottem done quick.
Sorry to say I'm going to miss you guys winning this contest. I need to take off after turn ins.

KC_Bobby
08-24-2009, 11:45 AM
Ray, since they're your sponsor can you call over there to kindly ask that they make sure they are not frozen on arrival? If we can't check in meat until 2 ... the afternoon's gonna already be full for us prepping meat.

BBQ_Mayor
08-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Ray, since they're your sponsor can you call over there to kindly ask that they make sure they are not frozen on arrival? If we can't check in meat until 2 ... the afternoon's gonna already be full for us prepping meat.

They're not our sponsor. I mean that they are one of the sponsors for the Nevada contest.
I'll see what I can do though.

KC_Bobby
08-24-2009, 01:17 PM
oh - my bad

Smokin' Joe
08-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Sounds like it will be a full house in Nevada...or close to it. Anybody hear how Albert Lea is doing for teams?

Heard 28 as of Friday in Albert Lea...down from over 50 last year..

Oh and you boys in Nevada go easy on Smokey D's this weekend, I'd really like to see his bung get removed from the Minnesota draw:twisted::-D:lol:

Its going to be a tough call for Big T'z, I think their Jack chances are better if they let Darren win:shock:

KC_Bobby
08-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Joe,
You didn't hear? Darren changed his mind and is now going to Albert Lea. :twisted:

Smokin' Joe
08-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Joe,
You didn't hear? Darren changed his mind and is now going to Albert Lea. :twisted:

With the long list of heavy hitter Brethren teams showing up in Nevada, I wouldn't blame him:-D

BIG T'z
08-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Yea, I put mine on the gasser. Gottem done quick.
Sorry to say I'm going to miss you guys winning this contest. I need to take off after turn ins. Thanks for the great times! Will miss you to!! Hoping for the win, but on any given Sat.!?! Stay in touch, see ya round the "Q"!! Hope all is well! Terry "BIG T" :icon_bigsmil

KC_Bobby
08-25-2009, 04:03 PM
With the long list of heavy hitter Brethren teams showing up in Nevada, I wouldn't blame him:-D

BTW, I was kidding. But strickly by the numbers game, he would increase his chances in MN.

Smokin' Joe
08-25-2009, 05:38 PM
BTW, I was kidding. But strickly by the numbers game, he would increase his chances in MN.
I gotcha...I was thinking the same thing numbers wise.

KC_Bobby
08-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Can a brethren brother get a central Iowa weekend weather report?

Shotgun
08-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Can a brethren brother get a central Iowa weekend weather report?
Looks like its going to be nice, 75 both days and lows in the mid to low 50s with a chance of showers friday night. See ya there Bob

KC_Bobby
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
Anyone heading that way Thursday evening? I hope to leave KC around 4:00 Thursday and get to Ankeny about 7:30. Might hook up and head out. Are spaces first come first serve or assigned?

KC_Bobby
08-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Kenna Jo just answered my question - first come first serve, but some teams have requested specific spots. I know Grumpy Mike gets a close spot - as he should.

Shotgun
08-25-2009, 10:42 PM
Anyone heading that way Thursday evening? I hope to leave KC around 4:00 Thursday and get to Ankeny about 7:30. Might hook up and head out. Are spaces first come first serve or assigned?
I will be pulling over on Thursday and dropping. I dont know how FC has it set up as far as placing people. Its sounds like he has an idea, but nothing set. He is thinking around 40 teams as of yesterday.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-26-2009, 07:29 AM
I am dropping off Thursday night as well. Talked to FC over the weekend and it sounds like wherever you want to setup. The tennis courts were going to be the main emphais is sounded like, but people were going to be able to setup under the trees if they wanted shade.

Sounds like there will be power from the turn in building and a bigger generator by the tennis courts.

Maybe I'll catch some of you Thursday night. IF not, see you Fri.

pat
08-26-2009, 07:47 AM
I'm dropping off the RV Thursday as well. See ya then! Any idea where most of you will park if it is first come first served...the tennis courts or the shade??

Buster Dog BBQ
08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
I'm dropping off the RV Thursday as well. See ya then! Any idea where most of you will park if it is first come first served...the tennis courts or the shade??
I'm just going for flat surface. Last year was quite the adventure in the shade on the hill.

musicmanryann
08-26-2009, 10:05 AM

I think we are going to try to be where we were last year. It was one of the most level spots then and in the shade, near restrooms, electricity and turn-ins. We were two spots to the east from the Grumpy's.

Last year it was first come first serve.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-26-2009, 10:25 AM
From Kenna today

There will be ice available on-site at no cost to you. F.C. will be distributing it from the Community Building.

Nick Lavieri from ISU will be conducting our meat inspections starting Friday morning from 8:00-10:00 a.m. and after 1:00 p.m. Sorry for the earlier confusion.

F.C. will be on-site Thursday evening after 5:00 p.m. to direct you to your site, as well as all day on Friday and Saturday. I will also be on-site Thursday evening after 6:00 p.m. and Friday morning from 7:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and from 4:00 p.m. on and Saturday from 6:30 a.m. on. Either of us will also be available on our cell phones for any questions.

KC_Bobby
08-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Not really sure why no one can give meat inspections between 10-1 ... one would think that's when most teams will arrive. Isn't anyone other than Nick qualified to see if meat is good to go?

KC_Bobby
08-26-2009, 02:12 PM
I picked up a case of curly parsley at lunch today. So far it's us, Buster Dog and Smokehouse. Room for one more team to cut into at 15 bunches a team.

First one to lay claim gets it. (just respond to this thread)

pat
08-26-2009, 02:14 PM
I'll take it if it is still available Bob.

KC_Bobby
08-26-2009, 02:20 PM
And Dirty Pig is the winner.

Of course since all of these teams getting parsley from Boondoggle will be dropping off campers on Thursday, I think it sure would be nice of ya all to get me a good spot beside you all since I'm coming all the way up from KC.

pat
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Bob!

I will make sure Ray picks you out a nice spot :biggrin:

Shotgun
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
We have requested the south east side of the community building, I can ask FC if he could reserve the Boondoggle boys a site around that area as well.

Smokin' Joe
08-29-2009, 09:10 PM
I heard Meadow Valley was GC, anyone have other results?

Kenna Jo
08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks to all the teams who made the Nevada contest a success! I couldn't have done it without you! And thanks for all your patience with me.