PDA

View Full Version : Competition Dessert Categories

Skinny Cook
07-25-2009, 06:20 PM
OK, I am throwing this out for an open discussion. Let's hear it :!:

I do not like dessert comps where the turn in item can be produced away from the competition site. I feel if the rest of the competition items have to be cooked on site, so should the dessert.

What say you ?? :?:

Double D's BBQ
07-25-2009, 07:04 PM
I guess I'm ok with it seeing as how we don't have a fancy RV to cook our dessert on site. To me cooking the dessert offsite at least evens the playing field between the haves and the primitives like me cooking under EZ ups. If you require the dessert to be cooked on site then we probably wouldn't be able to participate since 99.99% of the desserts aren't cooked on offsets.

BigBellyBBQ
07-25-2009, 08:19 PM
OK, I am throwing this out for an open discussion. Let's hear it :!:

I do not like dessert comps where the turn in item can be produced away from the competition site. I feel if the rest of the competition items have to be cooked on site, so should the dessert.

What say you ?? :?:

It is all about how good you are with your cooker, on site only for all competitions whether pulled pork or smoked apple pie made under my trusty tent, you still can use grandma's secret recipe or bring her with you!

Pig Headed
07-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I agree, it should be cooked onsite.

Smokin Mike
07-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Well,,,, at least your score has nothing to do with dessert entry.

I don't really care, people win with store bought cheesecake anyways(so I heard).

Sticks-n-chicks
07-26-2009, 09:11 AM
on site!

Dale P
07-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Homemade at least. Not bought at a bakery.

Ron_L
07-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with home made at a minimum, but on site is best. Since I don't have a camper with an oven, I think the dessert should also be cooked using wood, charcoal or pellets as the heat source. I could be convinced to allow a propane or butane burner as well. BTW, for desserts and side dishes, a dutch oven is fine as long as the heat source is wood or charcoal as mentioned above.

If we ever buy a camper with an oven I reserve the right to change my mind :)

Jeff_in_KC
07-26-2009, 09:43 AM

I would also say not by your executive chef at your place of employment either. Not that anyone does that... I'm just sayin'.

JD McGee
07-26-2009, 09:55 AM
On site here...:-P

Skinny Cook
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM

I agree Dale. NO store bought goodies allowed. The meat inspections should include a dessert item inspection.

Camper, Motorhome or not, the desserts should be produced the same as the meat. By wood, charcol, pellets, or a combination of all.

Produced on site and entered as such.

The same should go for sauces or any category. :cool:

Smoky River BBQ
07-27-2009, 10:25 AM
I agree with the onsite cooking. There is no reason the a smoker cannot serve as an oven if need be. I have seen it done many times. I have also witnessed first hand a store bought cheesecake, right out of the box, take a first place. Since there are no rules pertaining to this, what could anyone say? But my feelings are that this is a cooking contest that by nature takes place outdoors, and with all other parts of the contest cooked onsite, so, too, should the desserts be. And if someone does not want to use a smoker or grill to make a dessert, which I can understand, there are a lot of desserts that do not need baked, grilled, smoked, or fried.

Ok... I will step down from the box now. :icon_blush::redface:

BBQ_Mayor
07-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I agree. On site cooking only.
This goes for Sidedish, desserts and anything else that gets added to the contests.

Also, I would like to stay with a clamshell for presentations. If you can't get into a closed clam shell, then don't cook it or add it to your presentation.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Desert, appetizers, other sides. Anything at a contest should be made on site. I have heard of people going to cheesecake factory and buying deserts and I have heard of people who have been given deserts to turn in that they didnt make.

A desert doesnt need to be hot, it could be cold, room temp, etc. But I would like to see it done on site.

Smoky River BBQ
07-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Yeah...What he said ^^^^^^^

Smoky River BBQ
07-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah...What BBQ Mayor said ^^^^^^^

Skinny Cook
07-27-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree. On site cooking only.
This goes for Sidedish, desserts and anything else that gets added to the contests.

Also, I would like to stay with a clamshell for presentations. If you can't get into a closed clam shell, then don't cook it or add it to your presentation.

Not only yes, but H yes !!! Onsite only !!!

Mayor thanks for the clamshell addition. I forgot that one in my rant. :lol:

Alexa RnQ
07-27-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm going to be the voice of dissent here, and say that I'm not overly thrilled with the use of clamshells for Anything But or dessert categories. These are the only two entries where a cook's creativity gets a fuller expression, and I love seeing the different entries.

However, I DO agree strongly to size limitations. I've seen a pallet of lasagna that had to be carried by two people. We've been to other contests that specify "must be carried by one person", but that still is vague. Give reasonable dimensions like the Jack does, and whip out a steel tape if necessary.

Skinny Cook
07-27-2009, 12:30 PM
The playing field should be a level one.

Clamshells will make it fair for every competitor.

I was told last yrs dessert cat in madison was won by some 6" tall designer pudding casserole/cake lookin deal ?

NOT a fair playing field. :cool:

Jacked UP BBQ
07-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Clamshells make it fair, how? It let's the less creative win when maybe they shouldn't? If we make individual cakes or tarts, they would never fit in a clamshell for six judges. I have done dessert with clamshells and there is just no way to get a good presentation, or at least as good as open platter style. I actually say fark dessert, the category sucks anyway, you spend more money making it then winning.

Alexa RnQ
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
I actually say fark dessert, the category sucks anyway, you spend more money making it then winning.
Not necessarily. I once got paid $500 for making six crème brûlées -- well worth it in my book!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Not necessarily. I once got paid $500 for making six crème brûlées -- well worth it in my book!

Thats high paying. I won dessert with coffee tres leches cake stuffed with pumpkin cheesecake and got 50 bucks. Cost me 200 to make. Was that at a large event?

musicmanryann
07-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Thats high paying. I won dessert with coffee tres leches cake stuffed with pumpkin cheesecake and got 50 bucks. Cost me 200 to make. Was that at a large event?

Damn, that sounds fantastic!! I might pay $200 for that dessert!:-D

Jeff_in_KC
07-27-2009, 02:06 PM
The playing field should be a level one.

Clamshells will make it fair for every competitor.

I was told last yrs dessert cat in madison was won by some 6" tall designer pudding casserole/cake lookin deal ?

NOT a fair playing field. :cool:

That's not true at all. ANYONE can make a 6 inch tall designer pudding casserole. We usually use a square ceramic tray about 15" by 15" for our desserts. We get it at Wal Mart. Wal Marts are everywhere. In my mind, that's just as fair and level as being given a box.

Alexa RnQ
07-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Clovis, CA, 42 teams -- but the AB paid the same as a meat category, so you know I was in there pitching.

$200 to make a cake???! :shock: Were you putting gold leaf on it, or charging your hourly consulting rate?!

Jacked UP BBQ
07-27-2009, 03:19 PM
Clovis, CA, 42 teams -- but the AB paid the same as a meat category, so you know I was in there pitching.

$200 to make a cake???! :shock: Were you putting gold leaf on it, or charging your hourly consulting rate?!

Funny you bring that up, we did use gold leaf. Between all the ingredients and mini ramakins to make 16 individuals, it cost us at least two hundred.

Alexa RnQ
07-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Why would you put that kind of effort and materials into a category where they payout was $50? Surely you knew that up front?

It sounds fabulous, I'd love to see a photo of that if you've got one.

I usually go the individual-portion route too, but I'm buying ramekins at Cost Plus for a buck each.

McClung
07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Yeah what JD said, PNWBA says everything done on-site

Skinny Cook
07-27-2009, 10:41 PM
That's not true at all. ANYONE can make a 6 inch tall designer pudding casserole. We usually use a square ceramic tray about 15" by 15" for our desserts. We get it at Wal Mart. Wal Marts are everywhere. In my mind, that's just as fair and level as being given a box.

Not quite fair if we have to buy a plate to put it on. The presentation box/platter should be furnished regardless of what it is. That way every competitor has the same thing. Decorate it however you want, but start with the same base.

juicybuttsbbq
07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
I disagree,,Clam Shell?? How could I do my Famous Bridge to Nowhere in a clamshell?? I love the use of Grandma's old dessert items,, like her teired dessert display,, It's like having her here with me as I share it with others,, Okay Maybe it does Mark my Dessert,, I'll agree,, but hey maybe your grandma has something you can share with the world,, Let's face it If it wasn't for Grandma Al making me watch the Galloping Gourmet,, I'd would be a skinny little fella who wasn't posting on this forum and sharing BBQ with everyone he knows,,,

BBQ_Mayor
07-28-2009, 07:31 AM
Taste is what should win the contest anyway, not presentation.
You can be as creative as you wish within the confines of a 9x9 clamshell.

And you really need to look at the payout. If your going to spend $200 on a desert, just save your time and effort by putting the $200 cash in the box to get your return of $50. Don't make no sense to me.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
At Kennesaw the dessert comp is anything with peaches. Cause we are in GA. Get it.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab101/daveamend/200901_PigsPeachesLogo.jpg

This will be the first year we'll turn in a dessert. I don't want to give it away but it has 1 part rum, 1 part peaches, 1 part rum, 1 part cream, and 1 part rum.

We have been practicing almost every weekend now. It's gotten so bad that we don't even light a fire anymore....we just drink, I mean eat, the dessert. :icon_wink

j-dog
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree with on-site cooking. Anything that can be cooked at home can be baked outside on charcoal (with the possible exception of puff pastry!) But who's to say what people with RV's are doing.

I personally find the clamshells limiting and annoying. It's almost impossible to make anything look fabulous in one of those!

The Giggler
07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
To the unenlightened, what is a clamshell?

Jacked UP BBQ
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Kind of like a bearded clam with a shell

Jorge
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
To the unenlightened, what is a clamshell?

standard styrofoam turn-in box.

Alexa RnQ
07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I think the extraneous categories are being confused with the meat categories here. Clamshells are necessary for the meat categories to comply with KCBS' double-blind system of entries. However, KCBS does not administer or set rules for ancillary categories. In our area, reps compile the results from ancillary categories as a courtesy to the contest's organizers, but rules are set by the contest.

I think it is a shame to limit the ancillary categories to the lowest common denominator by use of a clamshell, but if you don't like a contest that has open garnish on ancillaries, don't enter. And if I don't want to be restricted to a clamshell, likewise I'll just focus on my comp meats instead.

musicmanryann
07-28-2009, 02:12 PM
I think the extraneous categories are being confused with the meat categories here. Clamshells are necessary for the meat categories to comply with KCBS' double-blind system of entries. However, KCBS does not administer or set rules for ancillary categories. In our area, reps compile the results from ancillary categories as a courtesy to the contest's organizers, but rules are set by the contest.

I think it is a shame to limit the ancillary categories to the lowest common denominator by use of a clamshell, but if you don't like a contest that has open garnish on ancillaries, don't enter. And if I don't want to be restricted to a clamshell, likewise I'll just focus on my comp meats instead.

I have seen some of your ancillary turn-ins and based on that I can see why you feel this way. You turn-ins are like works of art! :-D:eusa_clap

Btw--I agree with you as well. I think it is great to get the opportunity to let your creativity flow a little bit in these contests. So long as it doesn't go over the top, i.e. more than one person has to carry it to turn-in, persons should feel free to do whatever.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-28-2009, 03:10 PM
apparenlty there was someone at a contest around here where it took 3 people to carry the desert. The rep kept bringing that up over and over about the last contest she was at it took three people to carry and she didn't want that at this contest.

I am mixed on the turn in though. Clamshell is nice to protect against elements and such, but sometimes the plating is exceptional. I would even be ok if they specified the max size of a platter.

j-dog
07-28-2009, 04:40 PM
apparenlty there was someone at a contest around here where it took 3 people to carry the desert. The rep kept bringing that up over and over about the last contest she was at it took three people to carry and she didn't want that at this contest.

I am mixed on the turn in though. Clamshell is nice to protect against elements and such, but sometimes the plating is exceptional. I would even be ok if they specified the max size of a platter.

I agree that turning in ANYTHING that requires multiple persons to carry is crazy, but as long as space isn't an issue in the judging area, ancillaries should be open garnish/presentation.

That's half the fun of it!!!

Skinny Cook
07-28-2009, 05:37 PM
I disagree,,Clam Shell?? How could I do my Famous Bridge to Nowhere in a clamshell?? I love the use of Grandma's old dessert items,, like her teired dessert display,, It's like having her here with me as I share it with others,, Okay Maybe it does Mark my Dessert,, I'll agree,, but hey maybe your grandma has something you can share with the world,, Let's face it If it wasn't for Grandma Al making me watch the Galloping Gourmet,, I'd would be a skinny little fella who wasn't posting on this forum and sharing BBQ with everyone he knows,,,

Hold on, I got to go put my hip waders on !!! :eek: :lol: Luv ya buddy ! :razz:

Mike - CSBBBQ
07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
If not using the clam shell it should be limited to what one person can carry...someone has to show to the judges...

Barbara has gotten very good at baking on the chicken cooker on our Jambo :smile: