PDA

View Full Version : KCBS Board of Directors Campaigns

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
Something I mentioned about regular ol' cooks taking back the BOD got me thinking about an idea to help make that happen if anyone else agrees. I will be willing to donate my time to assist with the campaigns and create a Web site for any person nominated to run for BOD who is just a cook... no agenda other than returning the KCBS to it's original vision, stop the fighting, support the average Joe teams and basically do what's right! We don't need people elected because they are businessmen, attorneys or whatever. It is my opinion (and the opinion of several others I've talked to) that those of us who compete week in and week out are the best qualified to direct the organization we make up.

It's time to step up to the plate and make a difference. If you are seriously interested in running for the BOD, don't wait until the KCBS starts calling for nominations. Make a decision and let's get the candidacy out there ASAP. The more time folks know you're interested, the better chance you have.

Through all the KCBS BOD discussions here and other places, I've seen it frequently said that we just talk about it and don't really do much to change things and that if someone really wants improvement, to stop complaining and act. This is just an offer to help. I'll even pay for the Web site and promote it. I don't even HAVE to agree with all of your ideas (although it would help :lol: ). Let's try to make a difference rather than paying lip service to bringing peace and positive relationships back to the KCBS.

Divemaster
07-24-2009, 09:52 AM
While I'm not interested in running (distance and time are major factors for me), I do agree with you on getting more involved.

If I can help, let me know...

Slamdunkpro
07-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Something I mentioned about regular ol' cooks taking back the BOD got me thinking about an idea to help make that happen if anyone else agrees. I will be willing to donate my time to assist with the campaigns and create a Web site for any person nominated to run for BOD who is just a cook... no agenda other than returning the KCBS to it's original vision, stop the fighting, support the average Joe teams and basically do what's right! We don't need people elected because they are businessmen, attorneys or whatever. It is my opinion (and the opinion of several others I've talked to) that those of us who compete week in and week out are the best qualified to direct the organization we make up.

Not having been a long time KCBS member I'm curious; what specifically needs to change? (honest serious question PM answer if you like)

Plowboy
07-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Not having been a long time KCBS member I'm curious; what specifically needs to change? (honest serious question PM answer if you like)

More Cow Bell

motoeric
07-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Can you please post a listing of the current BoD and what category they would fall in (cook, interested fan, organizer, judge, etc.)?

Are cooks underrepresented on the board? Do you believe that there should be a certain percentage of BoD members from each 'category'?

What do you believe that a cook would bring to the BoD that others wouldn't?

Thanks!

Eric

The Pickled Pig
07-24-2009, 03:20 PM
You seem passionate about it Jeff and you're certainly knowledgeable on the issues...why not make a run for the office yourself?

EarlyBird
07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
You seem passionate about it Jeff and you're certainly knowledgeable on the issues...why not make a run for the office yourself?
Yeah, thats it, Jeff for BOD. Can I get a second?

clubjoe
07-24-2009, 09:11 PM
third it

HoDeDo
07-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I think one thing the board is missing is executives from other verticals... IF we want our org run without emotional ties to decisions based on a pre-disposed position as an organizer/cook/judge, etc... Why not allow some business acumen to help drive decisions... like many other large corporations do?

Oh, and I fourth it :)

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 09:47 PM

A lot may just be my opinion but here's my take on things...

First off, the way I see things from outside the board room perspective, the fighting, bickering and disagreements must stop. I've seen several comments both here and on at least one other forum stating that it's embarassing to the organization and its members that our board has these problems and I can't completely disagree. I'm not 100% sure that embarassing is the word I'd use. I'd probably call it "unsettling" to members. No one wants their leadership to be constantly at odds. Look what we get with the party politics in government! The result is nothing really ever gets done. I think the thought of that being the case with KCBS is a concern of membership. At least it is for a section of membership who have been vocal about it. I believe a large portion of KCBS members really just want the disagreements, threats, etc. to go away.

Secondly, the idea that board meetings should somehow be secret and unavailable to the members bothers me. I realize the last meeting became more open with some limited phone lines available. Is that going to be permanent? Are they working towards allowing more expansive use of conference lines, podcasts, Internet broadcasts? In the near future, we should have the ability to allow ANY member to log on to a Web site, pick up a phone, whatever, to listen in on board meetings. This is the 21st century. Let's get it done!

Third, issues such as and similar to the pork cooking discussion - this is ridiculous! And this issue makes me wonder if anyone on the BOD still competes!!! (actually, the answer is pretty much a solid no) We live in a world where germs and food-borne illnesses are major concerns. To disallow the pork you're turning in to be placed back on a smoker or grill to keep hot til turn-in, ESPECIALLY when all three other categories can be heated after cooking doesn't seem to show much thought being put into this. PLUS with many other important issues out there, I think priorities are put in the wrong place. I was not at this meeting so I don't know how much energy was expended on this topic alone but it seems there's too much micro-managing. Allow it the same as the other categories, if for no other reason than because it's a health issue, and move on.

My fourth issue is the marketing deal we have and where our marketing company seems to want to take KCBS. Used to be, this was my number one issue. Lately, there's not a lot of mention of it and as such, it's kind of on the back burner for most of the membership. While nothing seems to be being forced down our throats as many of us thought about 18 months ago, what exactly IS the situation? What benefits are we seeing? What's our return on investment?

These are just some things off the top of my head. The biggest thing, though, is to just try to do what one LONG time KCBS member told me this evening over a couple of beers and dinner -- he said "We just want to have fun. That's what it was always supposed to be about."

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Can you please post a listing of the current BoD and what category they would fall in (cook, interested fan, organizer, judge, etc.)?

Are cooks underrepresented on the board? Do you believe that there should be a certain percentage of BoD members from each 'category'?

Thanks!

Eric

I don't know all of their "categories" but in my conversation tonight, my beliefs were confirmed when it was pointed out to me that since Rod resigned, the ONLY board member who really cooks is Mike Lake. Paul Kirk really doesn't compete much anymore. There are organizers and judges-turned-reps and just plain ol' reps. So to answer your question, less than 10% of the board is a current KCBS competing cook. So to answer your questions, yes, I believe and am sure cooks are WAY under-represented on the board... No, I don't believe there should be a certain percentage of each "category" on the board. I believe that ALL board members should be cooks or at least have at one time competed regularly. If you haven't, how can you know the ballgame from the cook's perspective and how can we expect them to represent our (as cooks) best interests? And what do I believe cooks would bring to the BoD that others would not? An understanding of what we cooks need and want our organization to be. As an example, I think COOKS would not allow the board to vote down allowing pork to be put back on the grill to set sauce or re-heat. Let me point something out to you - when I first got into competition BBQ, I quickly learned that comp cooks are some of the best people on the face of the planet! I was told this then, by virtue of competing regularly, the entire BBQ community proved it to me. Cooks help each other regardless of whether they're competing against each other. Cooks cheer for their friends when they win, even with the cook has had an off day. I think the Board should be the same way. If the same attitudes prevailed in the board room as they do at contests, this thread probably would not exist. So... I think that's what cooks could bring to the table.

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Currently, I serve as president of the Park Board here... time might be an issue.

motoeric
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
From the best that I can tell, here is a breakdown of the BoD and where they fall if we were going to put them into specific categories. Please post if you have better info.

Rod Gray Cook
Carol Whitebook Event Rep?
Don Harwell Event Rep
Paul Kirk Cook
Gene Goycochea Cook?
Merle Whitebook Event Rep
Steve Ownby Judge?
Linda Mullane Event Rep
Wayne Lohman Judge?
Ed Roith Judge?
Tana Shupe Organizer?

It looks like out of 11 BoD members, we have 3 cooks, 4 event reps, 3 judges and 1 organizer.

Maybe we need more organizers on the board.

Eric

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Rod is no longer on the board. Paul rarely competes these days from what I was told. I also was told Gene is mostly a rep but I am not sure. Linda is a judge turned rep. You left off Mike Lake (and a couple of others). Mike is about the only cook.

From the best that I can tell, here is a breakdown of the BoD and where they fall if we were going to put them into specific categories. Please post if you have better info.

Rod Gray Cook
Carol Whitebook Event Rep?
Don Harwell Event Rep
Paul Kirk Cook
Gene Goycochea Cook?
Merle Whitebook Event Rep
Steve Ownby Judge?
Linda Mullane Event Rep
Wayne Lohman Judge?
Ed Roith Judge?
Tana Shupe Organizer?

It looks like out of 11 BoD members, we have 3 cooks, 4 event reps, 3 judges and 1 organizer.

Maybe we need more organizers on the board.

Eric

Bunny
07-24-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks!

Eric

Mike Lake is a cooker from Shannon IL. Rod Gray was a cooker but will be replaced by Mike Budai who also cooked and phased over to repping. Wayne Lohman is a contest representative, master judge and certified table captain. Linda Mullane is a contest rep. Tana Shupe is a contest rep and contest organizer. Paul Kirk is a cooker and reps rarely. Merl and Carol Whitebook are contest reps and have cooked rarely. Don Harwell is a contest rep. Steve Ownsby is a Contest Organizer, Gene Goyacachea is a cooker, a contest organizer and a Rep. Ed Roith used to cook and is a rep and is head of the CBJ instructors. Carolyn Wells is a cooker and a representative,and has organized contests and is a master judge and anything else you can possibly think of. Unfortunately, she has no votes on the Board since she is Executive Director.:icon_shock1:

bbqbull
07-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Jeff are you truly interested in running for a seat on the BOD?

If so you have my full support and will make the necessary phone calls, emails and whatever else I can do to help get you elected.

Mike

motoeric
07-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks Bunny! Great info.

Mike Lake Cook
Rod Gray Cook (soon to be replaced)
Mike Budai ex-Cook, current rep (incoming)
Wayne Lohman rep, judge
Linda Mullane rep.
Tana Shupe rep/organizer
Paul Kirk cook
Merl Whitebook rep
Carol Whitebook rep
Don Harwell rep
Steve Ownsby organizer
Gene Goyacachea cook, organizer and a Rep
Ed Roith Judge

So, out of the 13, we have 5 cooks, 8 reps, 1 judge and 3 organizers. That is including the Member leaving and his replacement.

Eric

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Paul is old school cook but these days, I'd classify him more as a non-competing chef and BBQ author. On Gene, I have no idea how much he cooks. Maybe he'll answer himself. I'd still say based on most current activities, you're looking at two cooks tops (Mike and Gene).

The Pickled Pig
07-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Paul is old school cook but these days, I'd classify him more as a non-competing chef and BBQ author.

For the record, I think Paul Kirk has competed in at least 3 contests this year, the 2 sanctioned contests listed here (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/rankings/PRteamhist.cfm?team=CHEF USE TA WAS&StartDate={d '2009-01-01'}&EndDate={d '2009-12-31'}) and a backyard comp I was at in March. And there could very well be other non-sanctioned contests I don't know about.

I think you should run Jeff. You have the passion, the knowledge, and the attitude of service a candidate needs. You have demonstrated these traits on the events you're involved with and I have no doubt you'd bring it to the board.

But you'll have to want it and you'll have to campaign for it. There's not enough Brethren to put you over the top.

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2009, 07:14 AM
For the record, I think Paul Kirk has competed in at least 3 contests this year, the 2 sanctioned contests listed here (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/rankings/PRteamhist.cfm?team=CHEF USE TA WAS&StartDate={d '2009-01-01'}&EndDate={d '2009-12-31'}) and a backyard comp I was at in March. And there could very well be other non-sanctioned contests I don't know about.

Ahh that's right! Forgot about the "Use Ta Waz" team name. Thought that was a funny name! I wasn't at Lenexa and the GAB is a blur. :shock: Also for the record (since the edit button is gone already), I'll amend here my comment above about who is currently cooking to add Paul.

I think you should run Jeff. You have the passion, the knowledge, and the attitude of service a candidate needs. You have demonstrated these traits on the events you're involved with and I have no doubt you'd bring it to the board.

Man, this thing took a 180! :eek: :lol: That really wasn't the idea. My time is pretty full these days. Me making a run would probably necessitate my resignation from the park board and maybe put another item or two on the back burner should it be a successful one. You probably know I don't do much of anything half-arsed! :lol: Stories I tell, organizing comps, everything I bring to comps (hi Steph! LOL), even vacations get planned beyond my family's belief! :lol: I don't know, Paul. I want to get involved and make a difference. Just don't know if that's the way for me to do so.

Sticks-n-chicks
07-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Jeff, I support your thoughts and passion and will do what I can to help if you run. You would be a great addition to the board. Your a great cook a great guy and have the passion that is needed!

SmokinOkie
07-25-2009, 08:53 AM

You know, as I read that, and agree with that, one thing that came to mind is maybe the Brethern could come up with a platform (you know form our own BBQ Party) and develop a list of issues, demands, concerns, likes, dislikes and regardless of the candidate, pose the list to them and ask them.

I've been on the Board of the National BBQ Association, and I've also been on numerous Non-Profit Boards as a Director. Unfortunately, it's all to common the kind of stuff we hear.

I thought that was supposed to be about BBQ and Fun...

Russ

Jeff_in_KC
07-25-2009, 09:05 AM
You know, as I read that, and agree with that, one thing that came to mind is maybe the Brethern could come up with a platform (you know form our own BBQ Party) and develop a list of issues, demands, concerns, likes, dislikes and regardless of the candidate, pose the list to them and ask them.

I've been on the Board of the National BBQ Association, and I've also been on numerous Non-Profit Boards as a Director. Unfortunately, it's all to common the kind of stuff we hear.

I thought that was supposed to be about BBQ and Fun...

Russ

You're absolutely right... it IS supposed to be about BBQ and having fun.

As for a "Brethren Party" so to speak, that's really not the direction I was thinking. Paul made a very good comment that there aren't enough Brethren for any one person to solely concentrate on to win an election. A grassroots campaign can't be exclusive. We have to be inclusive to all membership and reach out to everyone. I think, though, that the thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc. of the Brethren won't end up being much different, if at all, from what the average KCBS member wants.

ThomEmery
07-25-2009, 09:38 AM
This is why the BoD is dominated by Reps
They get around the country
The few judges that vote know them and vote for them
Unfortunately the Brethren voting block didn't get Phil on the BoD
not enough KCBS members are Brethren

I did start a bid last year but stepped aside so Gene could get elected
The 18 vote margin shows how close it was

Plowboy
07-25-2009, 08:20 PM
For the record, I think Paul Kirk has competed in at least 3 contests this year, the 2 sanctioned contests listed here (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/rankings/PRteamhist.cfm?team=CHEF%20USE%20TA%20WAS&StartDate=%7Bd%20%272009-01-01%27%7D&EndDate=%7Bd%20%272009-12-31%27%7D) and a backyard comp I was at in March. And there could very well be other non-sanctioned contests I don't know about.

But you'll have to want it and you'll have to campaign for it. There's not enough Brethren to put you over the top.

In comparison, how much has Mike Lake cooked? (Rock River BBQ?)

The Pickled Pig
07-25-2009, 10:04 PM

Rock River BBQ (http://www.thepickledpig.com/PPapps/rankings/TeamHistory.cfm?Team=ROCK RIVER BBQ&StartDate=1/1/07&EndDate=12/31/09) has competed in 4 KCBS sanctioned contests so far this year.

ov1
07-26-2009, 06:47 AM

Mike will be cooking at the Jasper Strassenfest next weekend.

Sledneck
07-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Problem is that not enough brethren are KCBS members.

Jeff_in_KC
07-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Problem is that not enough brethren are KCBS members.

Hey Sled, maybe the problem is that not enough KCBS members are Brethren. We don't have all the answers within our current membership. :wink:

LindaM
07-26-2009, 10:12 AM
One note I would like to make, that is the PORK decision was made by the COOKS on the BOD. I did not agree with it, it was not a vote simply a discussion, and a determination. Sounds like it took the voice of the cooks in the field to force a reconsideration. Sometimes it is not the cook who knows best but those of us who HEAR what the cooks are saying at the contests....

Hope this does clarify a little, and maybe sway your determination that you don't need to be a full time competitor to understand and fight for the needs of the cooks. ...

:) Vote for me for re-election in January. I am there for the entire organization. Read the past Bullsheet minutes see what I have accomplished in my term.

Linda Mullane

First off, the way I see things from outside the board room perspective, the fighting, bickering and disagreements must stop. I've seen several comments both here and on at least one other forum stating that it's embarassing to the organization and its members that our board has these problems and I can't completely disagree. I'm not 100% sure that embarassing is the word I'd use. I'd probably call it "unsettling" to members. No one wants their leadership to be constantly at odds. Look what we get with the party politics in government! The result is nothing really ever gets done. I think the thought of that being the case with KCBS is a concern of membership. At least it is for a section of membership who have been vocal about it. I believe a large portion of KCBS members really just want the disagreements, threats, etc. to go away.

Secondly, the idea that board meetings should somehow be secret and unavailable to the members bothers me. I realize the last meeting became more open with some limited phone lines available. Is that going to be permanent? Are they working towards allowing more expansive use of conference lines, podcasts, Internet broadcasts? In the near future, we should have the ability to allow ANY member to log on to a Web site, pick up a phone, whatever, to listen in on board meetings. This is the 21st century. Let's get it done!

Third, issues such as and similar to the pork cooking discussion - this is ridiculous! And this issue makes me wonder if anyone on the BOD still competes!!! (actually, the answer is pretty much a solid no) We live in a world where germs and food-borne illnesses are major concerns. To disallow the pork you're turning in to be placed back on a smoker or grill to keep hot til turn-in, ESPECIALLY when all three other categories can be heated after cooking doesn't seem to show much thought being put into this. PLUS with many other important issues out there, I think priorities are put in the wrong place. I was not at this meeting so I don't know how much energy was expended on this topic alone but it seems there's too much micro-managing. Allow it the same as the other categories, if for no other reason than because it's a health issue, and move on.

My fourth issue is the marketing deal we have and where our marketing company seems to want to take KCBS. Used to be, this was my number one issue. Lately, there's not a lot of mention of it and as such, it's kind of on the back burner for most of the membership. While nothing seems to be being forced down our throats as many of us thought about 18 months ago, what exactly IS the situation? What benefits are we seeing? What's our return on investment?

These are just some things off the top of my head. The biggest thing, though, is to just try to do what one LONG time KCBS member told me this evening over a couple of beers and dinner -- he said "We just want to have fun. That's what it was always supposed to be about."

LindaM
07-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Linda Mullane, Previous organizer, part time cook (1-3 per year), current rep,
Just wanted to update you - also Mentor to MANY MANY ORGANIZERS
Thanks Bunny! Great info.

Mike Lake Cook
Rod Gray Cook (soon to be replaced)
Mike Budai ex-Cook, current rep (incoming)
Wayne Lohman rep, judge
Linda Mullane rep.
Tana Shupe rep/organizer
Paul Kirk cook
Merl Whitebook rep
Carol Whitebook rep
Don Harwell rep
Steve Ownsby organizer
Gene Goyacachea cook, organizer and a Rep
Ed Roith Judge

So, out of the 13, we have 5 cooks, 8 reps, 1 judge and 3 organizers. That is including the Member leaving and his replacement.

Eric

The Turk
07-26-2009, 12:48 PM
More Cow Bell
I got to have More Cowbell - Too Funny

CivilWarBBQ
07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
....Steve Ownsby is a Contest Organizer...

Steve is also a caterer and cook who has owned just about every style of cooker at one time or another - I know because I have bought a couple of his used units myself. While Steve doesn't cook under his own banner much these days, you'll sometimes spot him helping up other teams that are short-handed, not the least of which is an obscure little team you might of heard of called Jack's Old South.

DocStl
07-26-2009, 07:04 PM
It would be nice if the BOD could be represented equally balanced with cooks, reps, etc. And as much as KCBS has its flaws, Its what we have to work with at the moment and change is just around the corner. I am gathering some information packs to submit to the BOD on several subjects to try to help in some vague areas. One thing I brought up was making major rules changes at the Nashville conf. I didnt like the idea of rules being changed by a few that represent thousands of members.
IT dept can use a voting system online, log in w your kcbs number, cast your vote, simple. Audio broadcast of BOD meetings, etc. Lot can be done different with little or no cost, just a little time.
I have also been putting an organizers packett together to help new contests get sponsors, where to find grants, where to get tourism numbers etc. I hope 2010 will be a year of great change for this hobby, turned sport, turned addiction.

Doc :wink:

Smoke'n Ice
07-26-2009, 07:33 PM
I would wonder if we are not in the phase between being a "good old boys club" and being an organized "sudo governmental" club. We have some members who want it to remain the way it was, and some who want advancement, the hell with the consequences. I was on the PNWBA board as we transited from being "Bob's Club" to being a 501C3 organization. We had a lot of trials and tribulations and there are still members who refuse to cook or participate because of 'personalities!' Look at the current vote of the KCBS BOD on the RONR, an excellent road map on meeting content, organization and decorum.

Where do you stand?

Mack
Smoke'n Ice

Jorge
07-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Look at the current vote of the KCBS BOD on the RONR, an excellent road map on meeting content, organization and decorum.

Where do you stand?

Mack
Smoke'n Ice

RONR, can also be a club or tool to beat/slice opposing members to death and further divide a board.

My opinion is based on serving on a board of another, unrelated, NFP.

CivilWarBBQ
07-26-2009, 11:50 PM
As someone who has served on 501c3 Boards, I found that doing the Roberts Rules thing tends to make for longer meetings where less gets done. Nothing worse than putting that book in the hands of someone who is prepared to be a rule lawyer obstructionist when they aren't getting their way.

Sawdustguy
07-27-2009, 07:00 AM
Linda Mullane, Previous organizer, part time cook (1-3 per year), current rep,
Just wanted to update you - also Mentor to MANY MANY ORGANIZERS

Linda, Michele and I would vote for you again in a heartbeat.:mrgreen:

drbbq
07-27-2009, 10:01 AM
As someone who has served on 501c3 Boards, I found that doing the Roberts Rules thing tends to make for longer meetings where less gets done. Nothing worse than putting that book in the hands of someone who is prepared to be a rule lawyer obstructionist when they aren't getting their way.

Yeah but without Roberts you allow the members to just make the rules up as they go along. And I'd call that a good ole boy board.

drbbq
07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
Steve is also a caterer and cook who has owned just about every style of cooker at one time or another - I know because I have bought a couple of his used units myself. While Steve doesn't cook under his own banner much these days, you'll sometimes spot him helping up other teams that are short-handed, not the least of which is an obscure little team you might of heard of called Jack's Old South.

I don't remember Steve ever cooking a contest under his own banner. I'll gladly stand corrected but I don't think he has. And while he does cook with Myron sometimes they manage to do pretty well without him too. I think it's a real stretch to classify Steve as a cook.

Plowboy
07-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Yeah but without Roberts you allow the members to just make the rules up as they go along. And I'd call that a good ole boy board.

Are you saying that the current BOD is a good ole boy board?

Who are these good ole boys?

drbbq
07-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Are you saying that the current BOD is a good ole boy board?

Who are these good ole boys?

Well I'd start by looking at the members that voted against Robert's Rules of Order. Then move on to the committee heads that never file a report but remain on the committees.

ThomEmery
07-28-2009, 07:43 AM
You might be a Good ol Boy
If you derive major income from the membership of the organization you "serve"

Jeff Hughes
07-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Merl and Carol cook some, she holds a 180 pin...

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2009, 09:57 AM
Well I'd start by looking at the members that voted against Robert's Rules of Order. Then move on to the committee heads that never file a report but remain on the committees.

As President of a board myself, I have absolutely NO idea how a board meeting can operate without using Robert's Rules of Order. Sounds like a free for all to me.

Couple of great points, there, Ray... :eusa_clap

LindaM
07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Linda, Michele and I would vote for you again in a heartbeat.:mrgreen:

Thanks Guy. Will we see you in New Paltz?

Plowboy
07-28-2009, 04:59 PM

If you derive major income from the membership of the organization you "serve"

Back home, we just called them kinds of people lazy, good fer nothin'.

I've seen some of these guys in action, or lack of. Shame on the members for voting in people who only offer a name with no substance.

Thom - That would have made Rod and DrBBQ Good Ol Boys by your definition. I have no problems with conflicts of interest as long as you don't allow them to conflict. Integrity is still alive in some people. And who doesn't have something to gain by being on that board. Many of those BOD do. Many who have run for the board do. It doesn't mean that they can't do a good job.

What I don't want to hear anymore is that this is a Kansas City thing. Of the BOD, we have three members from KC: Ed, Paul, and now Budai. Of the three, I've not seen Ed or Paul at any local contest short of Lenexa, GAB, or the Royal, the three biggest contests in the midwest at least. Ed and Paul wouldn't know 1/10th of the teams in the MoKan area. Budai works his tail off as a Rep, but is the only person on the BOD representing any members in this area, as far as I'm concerned. For the last two years, I've been saying that MoKan needs a BBQ society to fill in the gap that KCBS as left behind. Anyone outside of KC that believes that KCBS is a Kansas City centric organization needs to come see the truth for themselves. This is a national organization, period.

ThomEmery
07-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Todd I think there is a great deal of truth to KCMO not having a local organization
Start one I will join We are great believers in local BBQ Associations

Smoke'n Ice
07-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Todd I think there is a great deal of truth to KCMO not having a local organization
Start one I will join We are great believers in local BBQ Associations
Actually, this happened in the Pacific Northwest when a few people became impatient with the progress of change in the PNWBA. They started a KCBS affiliated WBBQA. The only thing this did was cause a bunch of disharmony and bad feelings. There are even one or two cooks who can no longer cook in any PNWBA events. The WBBQA lasted about two years and then went away because even the malcontents could not get along with each other, much less the rest of the bbq world.

It would make better sense to work within the existing organization and also accept the idea that YOU might be in a MINORITY position. RONR actually allow those voices to be heard, it doen't mean the majority will acquiece though.

Plowboy
07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Actually, this happened in the Pacific Northwest when a few people became impatient with the progress of change in the PNWBA. They started a KCBS affiliated WBBQA. The only thing this did was cause a bunch of disharmony and bad feelings. There are even one or two cooks who can no longer cook in any PNWBA events. The WBBQA lasted about two years and then went away because even the malcontents could not get along with each other, much less the rest of the bbq world.

It would make better sense to work within the existing organization and also accept the idea that YOU might be in a MINORITY position. RONR actually allow those voices to be heard, it doen't mean the majority will acquiece though.

There's a difference between splitting off and having a supporting local organization. Almost every area of the country has "BBQ Society": Iowa, Ilinois, NEBS, Cali, Rocky Mountains, GOBS, etc, etc, etc. These organizations support local contests and cooks while working WITH KCBS. I know Iowa and NEBS have a points race and a great banquet at the end of the year. We don't have that. We have TOY and the KCBS banquet in Philly.

Smoke'n Ice
07-28-2009, 07:37 PM
We have TOY and the KCBS banquet in Philly.
Does any one know why the banquet was changed from being in KC? Did a majority vote for it? or was it a vocal minority?:icon_devil If a majority, then not much hope but if a vocal minority, then get together a majority and pass a rule that it must be in KC.

Plowboy
07-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Does any one know why the banquet was changed from being in KC? Did a majority vote for it? or was it a vocal minority?:icon_devil If a majority, then not much hope but if a vocal minority, then get together a majority and pass a rule that it must be in KC.

I don't think it should always be in KC. It should tour the country. As I've said, KCBS is a national organization. It should work to reach and represents cooks in every corner of America and Canada.

Somehow you've misunderstood my posts as sour grapes over KCBS becoming larger than its Missouri/Kansas roots. That couldn't be less true. I want to see KCBS continue to grow. What I'm saying is that as an organizationt must maintain a national focus, it lets go of its local focus. The other thing that happens is that everyone new to the organization feels like the redheaded stepchild. It is the whole "perception is reality" bullchit. I hear about how Mo/Kan members are somehow running the KCBS show. Given our lack of quality representation on the board, that doesn't hold any water. And before someone misreads that statement, I'm not saying that we deserve more representation than say New England who have Linda (Who is a great BOD member, BTW.). What I'm saying is that MO/KAN doesn't drive KCBS anymore than New England does.

Jeff_in_KC
07-28-2009, 07:50 PM

The next year is the 25th anniversary of KCBS and they wanted it to be in Kansas City so they gave it away for 2010.

EDIT: Todd's comment about sour grapes made me think better of my view of rotating the banquet. I suppose every other year in a legitimate location isn't bad.

Plowboy
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
The next year is the 25th anniversary of KCBS and they wanted it to be in Kansas City so they gave it away for 2010.

EDIT: Todd's comment about sour grapes made me think better of my view of rotating the banquet. I suppose every other year in a legitimate location isn't bad.

Glad to bring wisdom and enlightenment to your life, Jeff. :lol:

The Turk
07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Very Well stated - Small man syndrome is another name for it.

ThomEmery
07-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Local groups supporting BBQ really expand the sport
California Arizona Comp BBQ is growing at a fast pace
The two sanctioning bodies are not why that's happening
The CBBQA and AZ Barbeque are doing the job

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I'm a member of the Iowa BBQ Society along with being a member of KCBS. As Todd mentions, the IBS is not a conflict of interest with KCBS. It's kinda like a local chapter of KCBS - I don't know for a fact, but I'd guess a high majority of the IBS members are also KCBS members.

The IBS is there as a network of BBQers that support many philanthropic events to benefit various causes throughout the state (meals, scholarships, mentoring, etc). It also helps various organizers with their BBQ competitions and gets the word out about all competitions in state and in some of the surrounding states to help draw in more cooks. And it's also a social society which I think really helps develop a nice cometary between many of the BBQers who regularly compete throughout IA and the surrounding states.

I'm a member of KCBS first, but if the MOKAN area developed society, I'd join it too as well as remain a member of the IBS.

stlgreg
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
Back home, we just called them kinds of people lazy, good fer nothin'.

I've seen some of these guys in action, or lack of. Shame on the members for voting in people who only offer a name with no substance.

Thom - That would have made Rod and DrBBQ Good Ol Boys by your definition. I have no problems with conflicts of interest as long as you don't allow them to conflict. Integrity is still alive in some people. And who doesn't have something to gain by being on that board. Many of those BOD do. Many who have run for the board do. It doesn't mean that they can't do a good job.

What I don't want to hear anymore is that this is a Kansas City thing. Of the BOD, we have three members from KC: Ed, Paul, and now Budai. Of the three, I've not seen Ed or Paul at any local contest short of Lenexa, GAB, or the Royal, the three biggest contests in the midwest at least. Ed and Paul wouldn't know 1/10th of the teams in the MoKan area. Budai works his tail off as a Rep, but is the only person on the BOD representing any members in this area, as far as I'm concerned. For the last two years, I've been saying that MoKan needs a BBQ society to fill in the gap that KCBS as left behind. Anyone outside of KC that believes that KCBS is a Kansas City centric organization needs to come see the truth for themselves. This is a national organization, period.

Thats why we have the St. Louis Barbecue Society :-D

lunchlady
07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
My first question is... how long is a KCBS BoD term again? hmmmm...

Sounds like it took the voice of the cooks in the field to force a reconsideration. Sometimes it is not the cook who knows best but those of us who HEAR what the cooks are saying at the contests....
:) Vote for me for re-election in January. I am there for the entire organization. Read the past Bullsheet minutes see what I have accomplished in my term.

Linda Mullane

Before I start, I would like to make sure I say that I have great respect for Linda, and have considered her a 'BBQ friend' for well over 6 years.

BUT, I have a question on this particular topic, and I have read the past Bullsheet minutes.

I would like to know WHY the person who was elected by, and representative of the NorthEast members, would ABSTAIN from the most important KCBS BoD vote pertaining to the NorthEast ... namely ... the termination of KCBS Reps Ken and Kathie Dakai. ???

I would have thought that Linda, of all people on that BoD, would have stuck up for the Dakais, their integrity AND their so-called behavior, and informed the mis-informed members of the KCBS BoD of all the Dakais do for BBQ up here.
The reconsideration and subsequent reinstatement took the 'voice of the cooks in the field' to accomplish.

I almost apologize if I sound bitter, or if people think this is re-hashing but that abstain in the minutes is a huge speedbump on the road to getting my vote again.
Linda, PLEASE help me, and many others, to understand how that happened.
Thanks, and we'll see everyone in New Paltz!

motoeric
07-29-2009, 11:40 PM
What I don't want to hear anymore is that this is a Kansas City thing. Of the BOD, we have three members from KC: Ed, Paul, and now Budai. Of the three, I've not seen Ed or Paul at any local contest short of Lenexa, GAB, or the Royal, the three biggest contests in the midwest at least. Ed and Paul wouldn't know 1/10th of the teams in the MoKan area. Budai works his tail off as a Rep, but is the only person on the BOD representing any members in this area, as far as I'm concerned.

So, are Ed and Paul pulling their weight?

Should they be voted out in the next election?

Being quite a distance from KC, I would have no idea.

I believe that discussions like this have the potential to turn rancorous, but are invaluable. The voters should be as educated as possible about the people who on the board and what they are doing (or not doing).

Eric

motoeric
07-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not saying that we deserve more representation than say New England who have Linda (Who is a great BOD member, BTW.). What I'm saying is that MO/KAN doesn't drive KCBS anymore than New England does.

Not a big deal and I don't mean to nitpick, but Linda is actually mid-atlantic. I don't believe that New England has representation on the board.

I'm not sure, but I believe that the generally accepted definition of New England is north of New York.

Eric

KC_Bobby
07-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Isn't Canada north of New York? :wink:

The Pickled Pig
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Isn't Canada north of New York? :wink:

as is MI,WI,MN,ND,SD,MT,ID,WA, and AK.:lol:

Plowboy
07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
So, are Ed and Paul pulling their weight?

Should they be voted out in the next election?

Being quite a distance from KC, I would have no idea.

I believe that discussions like this have the potential to turn rancorous, but are invaluable. The voters should be as educated as possible about the people who on the board and what they are doing (or not doing).

Eric

No.

Yes.

Plowboy
07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Not a big deal and I don't mean to nitpick, but Linda is actually mid-atlantic. I don't believe that New England has representation on the board.

Better tell that to Lunch Lady and others in NE who have claimed her as their own.

representative of the NorthEast members, would ABSTAIN from the most important KCBS BoD vote pertaining to the NorthEast ...

Diva
07-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Before I start, I would like to make sure I say that I have great respect for Linda, and have considered her a 'BBQ friend' for well over 6 years.

BUT, I have a question on this particular topic, and I have read the past Bullsheet minutes.

I would like to know WHY the person who was elected by, and representative of the NorthEast members, would ABSTAIN from the most important KCBS BoD vote pertaining to the NorthEast ... namely ... the termination of KCBS Reps Ken and Kathie Dakai. ???

I would have thought that Linda, of all people on that BoD, would have stuck up for the Dakais, their integrity AND their so-called behavior, and informed the mis-informed members of the KCBS BoD of all the Dakais do for BBQ up here.
The reconsideration and subsequent reinstatement took the 'voice of the cooks in the field' to accomplish.

I almost apologize if I sound bitter, or if people think this is re-hashing but that abstain in the minutes is a huge speedbump on the road to getting my vote again.

Don't even get me started......

Scottie
07-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Don't even get me started......

Damn... Not even if we poke you? :icon_shy

Diva
07-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Damn... Not even if we poke you? :icon_shy

Nobody wants to do that, because Momma doesn't owe anybody ANYTHING and would let it ALL hang out!

drbbq
07-30-2009, 11:02 AM
Nobody wants to do that, because Momma doesn't owe anybody ANYTHING and would let it ALL hang out!

Poke Poke

Jorge
07-30-2009, 11:04 AM

:eek:I recognize that voice!:eek:

Plowboy
07-30-2009, 11:29 AM
You boys leave Stephy alone!

Scottie
07-30-2009, 11:49 AM
She was having cran/vod last night. She is easy to poke.... :twisted:

Poke poke poke...

Diva
07-30-2009, 12:02 PM
She was having cran/vod last night. She is easy to poke.... :twisted:

Poke poke poke...

I had three, then I had to get my stuff ready for Laurie because we're leaving today instead of tomorrow morning.

Board members have a confidentiality agreement, whatevers said in the board room is SUPPOSED to stay in the board room, EVEN if they're false rumors and innuendo. Some board members like to pick and choose when they use the confidentiality.

When I RESIGNED from my job August 12th, 2008 at 2:30 pm, I handed over my key, timesheet and left. Period. The new gal they brought in had made a statement to the board saying I "trashed two computers" when I left. First off, I only worked on one computer and the new gal had crashed the hard drive on it a week and a half prior with her "computer skills". I thought I had lost the ENTIRE database for the American Royal Invitational list that I had worked on for an entire year....but, I digress.

I resigned on a Tuesday, by Thursday a good friend of hers passed onto Steve that I had trashed these computers, not knowing that he and I are seeing each other. I'm sure she wasn't counting on that. So, it immediately got back to me. Did anybody bother to clear it up? Why didn't she spread that I didn't do that? My integrity could've been shot due to her mouth. There's no love lost between she and I.

Scottie
07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
But were the cran/vod good? :icon_shy

Jorge has put duct tape on my fingers and it makes it hard for me to respond sometimes...

Steve who? :shock:

drbbq
07-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Got anything else?

Plowboy
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
Wow, that didn't take many pokes.

Diva
07-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Got anything else?

Yep. 8-)

I've got about ten years worth and then some..

drbbq
07-30-2009, 01:09 PM
You mean there are issues that precede "That guy". I'm amazed.

Diva
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
You mean there are issues that precede "That guy". I'm amazed.

Oh, please.

Alexa RnQ
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Yep. 8-)

I've got about ten years worth and then some..

Tease.

motoeric
07-30-2009, 01:45 PM

It should be noted that Linda was the first person on the BoD to vote for the reinstatement of Ken and Kathy (I believe it was the following month).

Don't know about the abstention. Maybe she will chime in.

Eric

lunchlady
07-30-2009, 02:51 PM
thanks for the info eric. that vote was after the fact and happened because of an outcry from the members.
(and an appeal process, and the correct information finally being heard)

i am hoping Linda will chime in here. An opportunity to clear the air.

it isnt about claiming anyone or any region... it is about representing the KCBS members who voted you in.

Isnt that what this is all about ?

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 03:01 PM
It should be noted that Linda was the first person on the BoD to vote for the reinstatement of Ken and Kathy (I believe it was the following month).

Don't know about the abstention. Maybe she will chime in.

Eric

Maybe if there had not been an abstention, they wouldn't have had to be reinstated in the first place.

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
it isnt about claiming anyone or any region... It is about representing the kcbs members who voted you in.

Isnt that what this is all about ?

Bingo!!!

goodsmokebbq
07-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Bingo!!!
What? Didn't hear you there... :-D:-P

LindaM
07-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Michelle,

I consider Ken and Kathy my friends. I abstained from the vote, as have many other board members when there is a close connection to the issue at hand. I did not feel I had the right to vote in that instance. If you read the following months Bullsheet you would see that I was the first person to vote YES to reinstate them. I am saddened by your remarks. I consider you and all of NEBS like familly and have done everything I can as a board member to bring KCBS and NEBS to a bond. Prior to this incident Jerry worked to get the issue resolved, and that was so I was not representing KCBS in anyway.

I only hope you can understand the position I was put in. I am not going to apologize I don't feel I did anything wrong. If you want to discuss this further please contact me, I don't think this needs to be a public issue.

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Michelle,

I consider Ken and Kathy my friends. I abstained from the vote, as have many other board members when there is a close connection to the issue at hand. I did not feel I had the right to vote in that instance. If you read the following months Bullsheet you would see that I was the first person to vote YES to reinstate them. I am saddened by your remarks. I consider you and all of NEBS like familly and have done everything I can as a board member to bring KCBS and NEBS to a bond. Prior to this incident Jerry worked to get the issue resolved, and that was so I was not representing KCBS in anyway.

I only hope you can understand the position I was put in. I am not going to apologize I don't feel I did anything wrong. If you want to discuss this further please contact me, I don't think this needs to be a public issue.

I completely and respectfully disagree, Linda. It indeed does need to be a public issue as more than just Michelle would like to know answers. See, I thought friends stood up for each other. Is that not the case? If the Dakais are KCBS members (and obviously they are) and they're your friends who you feel did not deserve to be terminated as reps, you should have been the first in line to defend them, not abstain and withold support they needed desperately! I am close friends with many folks on the circuit, including reps like Rich and Bunny Tuttle and Jon and Clara Williams but if I was on the BOD and they were being railroaded and wrongfully treated for some perceived error they committed, I can promise you right now that I'd be on the forefront of their defense in a heartbeat. Same goes for any KCBS member in fact, friend or not, who I believed was getting the shaft. KCBS members are KCBS members and regardless of who you're friends with, I personally believe you have the responsibility to support rather than wash your hands if you feel and member is wronged, regardless of your relationship. Support might be unpopular with some and of course you might get your hands dirty but I'm guessing the Dakais voted for you for the BOD and probably never guessed you'd take that support for you and abstain from your support of them. Tough crowd back east I guess.

Jacked UP BBQ
07-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I am offended that anyone would question the integrity of Linda. The countless volunteered time she devotes to BBQ and kcbs event cannot be questioned. Her being on the side of teams and going to bat for what is right also cannot be questioned. She is one of the best reps out there and to make public questioning of her intent is ridiculous. I hope this can all be resolved in a mature matter, she deserves it. Thank you Linda for everything you do for BBQ, (I guess Jerry too, LOL)

Jorge
07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
I completely and respectfully disagree, Linda. It indeed does need to be a public issue as more than just Michelle would like to know answers. See, I thought friends stood up for each other. Is that not the case? If the Dakais are KCBS members (and obviously they are) and they're your friends who you feel did not deserve to be terminated as reps, you should have been the first in line to defend them, not abstain and withold support they needed desperately! I am close friends with many folks on the circuit, including reps like Rich and Bunny Tuttle and Jon and Clara Williams but if I was on the BOD and they were being railroaded and wrongfully treated for some perceived error they committed, I can promise you right now that I'd be on the forefront of their defense in a heartbeat. Same goes for any KCBS member in fact, friend or not, who I believed was getting the shaft. KCBS members are KCBS members and regardless of who you're friends with, I personally believe you have the responsibility to support rather than wash your hands if you feel and member is wronged, regardless of your relationship. Support might be unpopular with some and of course you might get your hands dirty but I'm guessing the Dakais voted for you for thge BOD and probably never guessed you'd take that support for you and abstain from your support of them. Tough crowd back east I guess.

Jeff, the way I read it is that Linda is willing to discuss it with Michelle. Michelle asked the question, and Linda answered it in public. She went further to say that she'd be willing to discuss it further with Michelle privately. I think that's fair enough to start.

I also don't know what you may or may not know, that I don't. I only know the very basics of the issue that have been public. Now if you have additional FACTS that you are basing your comments on that's fine.

I want to make sure that EVERYBODY understands the following. If you choose to call the credibility of another member into question, you better have the facts to back it up. If you do have the facts, and remain civil you are entitled to have your say.

A fact is not a rumor you picked up at midnight, at a contest, as the keg begins to float. I'd suggest that anything that you may choose to pass along, publicly that has come from someone else be verifiable or from a source that's willing to back you up. I don't want to get into a bunch of "Someone close to the board told me "X" but I can't tell you who it was.". If you need to protect someone, I can understand that at times. Just keep in mind that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for what YOU post.

Finally I am NOT calling Jeff out. He made his case with passion, as only Jeff can:grin: I just want to make sure that everybody is on the same page....that the moderators are on.

MilitantSquatter
07-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Mod Request - Let's let this issue regarding Linda's vote on a sepecific topic rest.. The question was asked and she answered. It's not really related to the original intent of Jeff's post and we don't want to turn this into a chitstorm.

If anyone has issues or concerns, it is best left to handle via PM or direct the issue in the For the Board sub-forum above.

Thanks !!

ique
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
What I'm saying is that MO/KAN doesn't drive KCBS anymore than New England does.

Ha-ha. Really?

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Jeff, the way I read it is that Linda is willing to discuss it with Michelle. Michelle asked the question, and Linda answered it in public. She went further to say that she'd be willing to discuss it further with Michelle privately. I think that's fair enough to start.

If you represent a body of people, more than one person has questions. While this issue did not effect any of us in the midwest directly, it might if the situation were that similar events happened here. I think all members have the right to know how their BOD members will support them.

I also don't know what you may or may not know, that I don't. I only know the very basics of the issue that have been public. Now if you have additional FACTS that you are basing your comments on that's fine.

I want to make sure that EVERYBODY understands the following. If you choose to call the credibility of another member into question, you better have the facts to back it up. If you do have the facts, and remain civil you are entitled to have your say.

I only know what you know after reading Linda's response. I disagreed with the answer she gave Michelle. And I told her so. And Jorge, you know I like you and you and I are friends but what I said was not questioning anyone's credibility. I questioned the route she chose to take in the situation. Credibility is whether someone is capable of being believed or worthy of belief. I in NO way questioned Linda's credibility. And I remained civil.

A fact is not a rumor you picked up at midnight, at a contest, as the keg begins to float. I'd suggest that anything that you may choose to pass along, publicly that has come from someone else be verifiable or from a source that's willing to back you up. I don't want to get into a bunch of "Someone close to the board told me "X" but I can't tell you who it was.". If you need to protect someone, I can understand that at times. Just keep in mind that YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for what YOU post.

Wait a minute here, Jorge... I can only assume you're talking about the forum here in general with this statement. I did not perpetuate a rumor, say that someone told me something but that I couldn't say who or any of that kind of thing. I said two things: that I disagree with how Linda herself said she responded to the situation and then stated how I personally would respond. So yes, I guess I'm responsible for those statements.

Finally I am NOT calling Jeff out. He made his case with passion, as only Jeff can:grin: I just want to make sure that everybody is on the same page....that the moderators are on.

:lol: You quoted MY post then responded with this... I kind of felt like you were. But if you weren't then you have my apology. :wink: I guess it's ok. If I can question someone's intent, I guess I should expect to be questioned as well. :wink:

Jorge
07-30-2009, 10:20 PM
I only know what you know after reading Linda's response. I disagreed with the answer she gave Michelle. And I told her so. And Jorge, you know I like you and you and I are friends but what I said was not questioning anyone's credibility. I questioned the route she chose to take in the situation. Credibility is whether someone is capable of being believed or worthy of belief. I in NO way questioned Linda's credibility. And I remained civil.

You are correct. I had a mental FUBAR and should have used the word 'integrity'.

:lol: You quoted MY post then responded with this... I kind of felt like you were. But if you weren't then you have my apology. :wink: I guess it's ok. If I can question someone's intent, I guess I should expect to be questioned as well. :wink:

I can appreciate that.:grin: It's better than the first time we did something like this:wink:

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
You are correct. I had a mental FUBAR and should have used the word 'integrity'.

I'm not sure I'd even agree with that word. But it's closer than credibility. :lol: Maybe "decison making" in this particular instance only is better. I follow a lot of voting records and I don't disagree with many of Linda's decisions.

motoeric
07-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Here is my take on this. To the best of my knowledge, no one outside the Dakais and the BoD knows with any certainty what was involved and what the catalysts were for the actions taken.

It could be that Ken and Kathy live secret lives as bank robbers and the KCBS found out, it could be that someone was giving the KCBS false information about the Dakai's, it could be that the KCBS misinterpreted something involving the Dakai's. We don't know.

We also don't know what happened in the discussions held by the BoD members. It could be that Linda pled their case. It could be that she fell asleep at the meeting. We don't know.

What we do know is that she abstained. It seems very likely to me that Linda felt too close to the situation and wasn't able to take an objective stance on the issue at hand and therefor abstained. With her close relationship to the people involved and their long history, that seems eminently reasonable. What we also know is that she voted for reinstatement at the first opportunity to do so.

Eric

Jorge
07-30-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm not sure I'd even agree with that word. But it's closer than credibility. :lol: Maybe "decison making" in this particular instance only is better. I follow a lot of voting records and I don't disagree with many of Linda's decisions.

Go read what you wrote in 72 hours, or have your wife do it:-P Then give me a call8-):mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Go read what you wrote in 72 hours, or have your wife do it:-P Then give me a call8-):mrgreen:

From Merriam-Webster:

Integrity: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility Synonyms: honesty

I'm just sayin'... if you're gonna tell me I was wrong about something, let's be accurate about what that wrong was.

Jorge
07-30-2009, 11:26 PM
From Merriam-Webster:

Integrity: firm adherence to a code of especially moral or artistic values : incorruptibility Synonyms: honesty

I'm just sayin'... if you're gonna tell me I was wrong about something, let's be accurate about what that wrong was.

Ok Mr. Roget. I see your point. Now make me happy and tell me that you got mine....please:wink:

Jeff_in_KC
07-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Ok Mr. Roget. I see your point. Now make me happy and tell me that you got mine....please:wink:

Back up what you say with facts and be civil. :wink:

lunchlady
07-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I was not calling out Linda's integrity. She is a fantastic Rep, and there is NO DENYING that she has done much while sitting on the KCBS BoD. That, too, is out there for all to see.
I questioned the decision to abstain instead of voting in support, and she replied, quickly and openly, which I appreciate. That was the answer I thought I'd hear.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-31-2009, 06:29 AM
Linda will always have my respect and vote. She is a great rep and has to deal with Jerry!!!! I also think Lunchlady has always asked questions on this forum with respect with those who were involved and has always done it in a classy way. Never slings mud at anyone. The way it should be done.

paydabill
07-31-2009, 08:38 AM
Not to try to get this back on topic but -

I think cooks should be represented on the BOD - however, you cannot remove someone because they stop cooking and do more repping. So that would be impossible to keep up.

I beleive this is a national organization and it would be hard to get someone voted in that is a cook. Rod had a great voter turn out, because he cooks a TON of events and started the classes - he is well known. You are going to have to get someone that is known accross the country or be willing to (dare I say it) campaign around the country so people can get to know them in the short time from nomination to election.

I believe your top choices would be Steph, Dr. BBQ, Rich or Bunny, maybe a Todd from Plowboys or someone like that - just my opinion. Putting someone up like Jeff would be just a little better than putting someone up like myself (since probably over 75% of the people on this board does not know who I am). Sure I could do the job, but there is no way I would generate enough support in the face of a national election.

Also there are all kinds of organizations that are not affiliated with KCBS but have KCBS members - Beta Beta Que is one started by Mike Mcmillen (who tried to elected but did not get anywhere near the votes) in Columbia, Mo. We do our own fund raisers and even a contest.

ThomEmery
07-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Linda You have my vote

Jeff_in_KC
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Not to try to get this back on topic but -

I think cooks should be represented on the BOD - however, you cannot remove someone because they stop cooking and do more repping. So that would be impossible to keep up.

I beleive this is a national organization and it would be hard to get someone voted in that is a cook. Rod had a great voter turn out, because he cooks a TON of events and started the classes - he is well known. You are going to have to get someone that is known accross the country or be willing to (dare I say it) campaign around the country so people can get to know them in the short time from nomination to election.

I believe your top choices would be Steph, Dr. BBQ, Rich or Bunny, maybe a Todd from Plowboys or someone like that - just my opinion. Putting someone up like Jeff would be just a little better than putting someone up like myself (since probably over 75% of the people on this board does not know who I am). Sure I could do the job, but there is no way I would generate enough support in the face of a national election.

Also there are all kinds of organizations that are not affiliated with KCBS but have KCBS members - Beta Beta Que is one started by Mike Mcmillen (who tried to elected but did not get anywhere near the votes) in Columbia, Mo. We do our own fund raisers and even a contest.

I agree that you can't replace a board member just because they start repping and do less cooking. I think the whole point with the comments people are making about cooks on the board is that there needs to be people on the BOD who represent the cooks and know where cooks are coming from and the direction in which they prefer to see the organization move.

Are you saying I'm a little bit more vocal than you? :lol: Steph has had enough of it. I tried to get her to run last time. Both Rich and Bunny are former BOD members and given the current "environment", I'm not sure either would be interested in running again. Not sure about Ray. He's also a former BOD member so he may have had his fill of it as well. Todd is a great guy and I'd support him 100% if he wanted to do this. He's well known because of his successes, his rubs and because he's truly an outstanding human being, barbeque or not.

I think it's all about marketing yourself correctly. It's so much easier these days with the Internet to get the message out there. That's why I offered to help anyone who might be interested with a Web site, etc. It just kind of got turned around on me there for awhile with all those suggestions. :roll: :lol: