PDA

View Full Version : Contest Results Excelsior Springs, MO--BBQ on the River Fly-In

BBQ_Mayor
07-22-2009, 12:39 PM
I didn't find a roll call for this so I posted one. Sorry if it's already done.

Anybody going to this? We're thinking about it but need a little more info on it. Like, is it on pavement? Grass? Hows the electricity?

Anybody have any thoughts about this contest?

Thanks.

Lion Bout The Q
07-22-2009, 03:27 PM
We signed up for it.Never been there before.I emailed and tried calling and haven't recieved a response yet.They had 60 plus teams last year, somebody here had to cook it..

DocStl
07-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Ques Your Daddy will be there, I think its on grass

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Smokehouse trying for the NorthWest Mo bonus? We're 30+ back, it would be hard to make up. What's the date?

The Pickled Pig
07-22-2009, 04:52 PM
We did this contest last year. I thought it was a little unorganized and was disappointed they spent so much on a fireworks show and so little on the prize money.

The teams are set up on the street and in a few parking lots around a couple of city blocks. I think all of the spaces were on pavement. They pack the teams in tightly so get there extra early. We showed up a little after noon and had to disconnect the trailer and push it in.

It has a very festive atmosphere and the party goers are reveling until 3 AM. It reminds me of the dark side at the Royal. That part was fun for us but a lot of other cooks complained.

clubjoe
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
We'll be there. Just like Paul said they do cram you in and the party goers are out until 3 a.m. Last year we were about 100 feet from a bar. They said quite hours began at 11 but when you have a bar business that is open until 1 or so there really wasn't any quite hours for us. A couple of fights even broke out. Other than that it was a decent comp.

Neal
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
This will be the first time in 5 years that we are not going to be there. It was our second KCBS contest back then and has been a constant for us ever since. It won't work with the schedule for this year though.

Paul pretty much nailed it as far as the set up goes. I like cooking on the city streets and down town Ex. Spr. has a certain charm about it.

This is a really good event in my opinion and the event and overall quality of it have grown exponentially over tha past few years. No, it doesn't have huge payouts or cater to a cook's every want or need - but thing to remember is that it is a community festival with a BBQ contest as a component. The organizer (Jim McCullogh) does his best to accomodate every team's need and put on a good event for the town to attend. He is a cook as well, so he "get's it."

Here are a few pics from some of the past year's in the Ex.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/nealdunker/ExSpr_05_05.jpg

http://www.thedunkers.com/DodgeCountySmokers/Pages/Picture%20Pages/General%20Pictures%202/Excelsior06_04.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/nealdunker/ExSprings010.jpg

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e190/nealdunker/ExSprings013.jpg

BBQ_Mayor
07-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Smokehouse trying for the NorthWest Mo bonus? We're 30+ back, it would be hard to make up. What's the date?

Yep. We were thinking of it but don't want to haul the whole unit down that way. Just take the cooker and a tent or something.

Exe-que-tioner
07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
We will be there as judges. Judged this one last year as well. Had a great time. Sometimes it's nice being on the other side. Good luck to all!

BBQ_Mayor
07-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Been trying to get a hold of somebody about this contest but have had no replies. Is it still on?

Neal
07-24-2009, 09:41 PM
I am sure it still is.
You might try calling Wabash BBQ in Excelsior...Jim and Cheri McCullough own the restaurant and organize the contest. Their cell numbers are listed on the entry form. If you can't get a hold of them on their cell, try the restaurant.

Entry form:
http://www.wabashbbq.com/pdf/BBQ%20Entry%20Form.pdf (http://www.wabashbbq.com/pdf/BBQ%20Entry%20Form.pdf)

BBQ_Mayor
07-28-2009, 10:04 AM
OK. We are in.

Like Bobby says, goin for the Bonus. Being only 5 out, we almost have to try it.

musicmanryann
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
OK. We are in.

Like Bobby says, goin for the Bonus. Being only 5 out, we almost have to try it.

Good luck! If I wasn't going to be in St. Louis that weekend for a little R&R with my wife (watching the Cardinals kick the crap out of the Padres), I would probably come down there to help you guys out/cheer you on. :roll:

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 10:56 AM
OK. We are in.

If ya need some extra cheering, I might be up for hanging out friday evening/night.

Shotgun
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
If ya need some extra cheering, I might be up for hanging out friday evening/night.
Come on down and hang out, maybe we can get some chicken secrets from ya.

paydabill
07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

maybe we should hook up for this one . . . hmm

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Bill, all my gear is in IA. Let me see if I can find a BWS to borrow.

Lit, Loaded & Boondoggled?

bayoustylebbq
07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Now that would be a funny arse name! Or lit and boned dog bbq? :lol::lol::lol:

We are in for this one too... Come on by for a beer, if you make it up there!

KC_Bobby
07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Cooking or not, I'm sure I'll make it up to this one for multiple beers then crash in my truck.

bayoustylebbq
07-29-2009, 08:54 AM
I think that I have attended a BBQ like that before... (Passes out/ crashes in truck mod) :icon_bigsmil

RobKC
07-30-2009, 03:00 PM
We'll be in Springfield that weekend. Good luck!

heinz57
07-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Next Year's Winner will be there. This will be our first trip to Excelsior. We are lookin' forward to it. I'm have'n withdrawls. Our last contest was in June. I hope I can remember how it's done.

Lion Bout The Q
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if the desert is open garnish or has to be in a box

Diva
08-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Last year it was open and you could put it on whatever you wanted HOWEVER make sure you cut out the number from the styro and put it on there or you'll have to go back to your spot to get it.

Lion Bout The Q
08-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks...we are cooking this one bare bones and I only want to take what I need...Peter

BBQ_Mayor
08-07-2009, 08:24 AM
So how is the payout for this contest? Do they payout the top 10, 5, 3?? We're already in but most contests let us know what to expect if we were lucky enough to get a call in something.

Diva
08-07-2009, 10:10 AM
I believe its top 10.

Chris Nickelson
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
Good luck to everyone at Excel!

KC_Bobby
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Come on down and hang out, maybe we can get some chicken secrets from ya.

I'm still planning on coming up Friday after work if the invite to hang is still there.

Weather calls for:
Friday - sunny n hot
Saturday - sunny n hot

BBQ_Mayor
08-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I'm still planning on coming up Friday after work if the invite to hang is still there.

Weather calls for:
Friday - sunny n hot
Saturday - sunny n hot

Sure thing. Stop by Bob. We should be pulling in around noon.

Mitchelina
08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
BBQ2!
We'll be there -- as (as usual) the ...
last.
team.
in.:icon_bugeyed

Good luck everyone. See ya at the cook's mtg!

Smokin' Joe
08-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Overall:
1 HOLY SMOKE BBQ
2 R BUTTS R SMOKIN
3 JEANIES GOT WOOD
4 SMOKEHOUSE 72
5 IOWA SMOKEY Ds BBQ
6 MUNCHIN HOGS @ THE HILTO
7 LETS KICK SOME ASH
8 PELLET ENVY
9 THE SLABS.COM
10 WHISKEY WOMEN & WIBS

Congrats to all who got calls...

Some prenty strong Iowa representation from Ray and Jay:eusa_clap

Buster Dog BBQ
08-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Hope Smokehouse got the Northern Missouri champ. They were 5th in St Joe and 4th here. Good job guys.

Exe-que-tioner
08-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Congratulations to "R-Butts-R-Smokin" on your Reserve Championship win! :eusa_clap Congrats to all other brethren who got calls as well! We were on the other side of the fence as judges for this one. Lots of great entries judged at my table. Good job guys & gals!

BBQ_Mayor
08-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Hope Smokehouse got the Northern Missouri champ. They were 5th in St Joe and 4th here. Good job guys.

Nope. Didn't get it. Got RCG.

Paid OK but not the 1500 JP custom smoke got.

We beat them by 18 points so we thought we had a good chance.

Buster Dog BBQ
08-15-2009, 10:31 PM

Still a good job out of you guys and something you can be proud of.

BBQ_Mayor
08-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Now that I'm not so tired, I'll post more today.

This was a great, well run contest. The spaces were tight to get into if you don't get there early,(note for next year). We were in the downtown area and could walk up to get pizza at Ryans Pizza or head to Ray's Diner. All in walking distance.
The bands were awesome and we had great nieghbors in Phil and Linda (Smokin Guns) and Betty and Mike(Pig Newton).

KC_Bobby and his dog Newman stopped out Friday night to hang with us. Thanks for stopping by Bob. Always good to see you.

Getting 4th overall and Reserve Grand Champ in the Northern Missouri Championship was icing on the cake.

Shotgun
08-16-2009, 10:22 AM

We needed a 20.57 or better to take the GC. Came close, but this blind squirell will have to wait a little longer to eat. Congrats to all brothers, it was a very nice weekend and great contest. Just wish they would pay back to 10.

Rub
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Congrats to all other Brethren who got calls and did well.
Sounds like a fun contest!

The Turk
08-16-2009, 10:54 AM
Nice Job Ray and Jay in a tough field, well done.