PDA

View Full Version : BBQ competitons, are judges the only ones that taste the food?

kylersk
07-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, besides the person/team cooking it.

Went to one today and they had a couple vendors selling food, but none of it was from the competitors. Had a brisket sandwhich, which I didn't care for much. Didn't stay long, walked arond one to see all the competitors equip and left.

Just curious to how these comps usually work.

bbq lover
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
for most comps.. you are there to please the judges and no food is to go to the peeps walkin around its a health issue and the comp .. would need a spec.. permit and the comp teams would have to inclose there work areas im sure others will chime in with more

Smokin' D
07-18-2009, 08:05 PM
At most comps the food cooked is for the judges only. Health Dept rules and regs. The competitors can hand out samples if they are so inclined. There are a few competitions where the competitors get to sell their food to the public, Harpoon in Vermont is one of those. Some will also have a Peoples Choice where you pay a small fee and get to sample the competitors food and vote for your favorite. Hope that was helpful.

Bentley
07-18-2009, 08:53 PM
for most comps.. you are there to please the judges and no food is to go to the peeps walkin around its a health issue...

At most comps the food cooked is for the judges only. Health Dept rules and regs.

Both correct statements.

As a CBJ does the Health department assume I am willing to get sick? I have always wondered why as a CBJ, which does not sign a waiver to hold harmless the teams cooking, I am not subject to those same health depart regulations! Does my CBJ training make me immuned to food poisoning! :-P

PatioDaddio
07-18-2009, 09:11 PM
I very rarely taste anything prior to turning it in, and I might have one or two bites of each category afterward. I'm just so sick of smoke by then that I have less than zero desire for any of it. But, that's just me.

John

JayAre
07-19-2009, 07:39 AM
I very rarely taste anything prior to turning it in, and I might have one or two bites of each category afterward. I'm just so sick of smoke by then that I have less than zero desire for any of it. But, that's just me.

John

Its not just you...by the time turns ins are over, I'm dieing for a Salad or Fruit!! (but usually settle for beer)

gordo
07-19-2009, 07:51 AM
After I have turned in my contest meat, Ive been known to give samples to folks out walking around, visiting the cookoff that stop by and chat...

Many times I sample bites from the teams cooking near to my space, an offer them a sample of what Ive cooked also...

As long as Im not selling it, dont see any problems with just being friendly..

Have met some folks that have never tasted competition grade BBQ,
and they were the ones that left smacking their lips, and wanting
more info about BBQ, and wanting to learn more about cookoffs...

chibi
07-19-2009, 08:44 AM
At a couple comps I do I am allowed to selll samples for a buck. I sell whatever is leftover after turnin. People love it because it is real competition bbq. It usally covers cost of the meat.

FlCracker
07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
At many of the FBA & KCBS contests I have competed in we have been allowed to vend.Most of the time we either pay flat fee or do 80/20 split with the contest. At a few they only allow licensed vendors to sell (which I am).AT all of them you must enter at least 1 category ,some all 4 to vend.

Wiliam Moore
Fl Cracker BBQ

BBQ Grail
07-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Both correct statements.

As a CBJ does the Health department assume I am willing to get sick? I have always wondered why as a CBJ, which does not sign a waiver to hold harmless the teams cooking, I am not subject to those same health depart regulations! Does my CBJ training make me immuned to food poisoning! :-P

As long as your KCBS membership dues are current you will not get sick...

C Rocke
07-19-2009, 10:09 PM
Both correct statements.

Less government is better, and besides, you could get hit by a bus at a crosswalk leaving a comp and meet your end - The food might not matter at that point...

Alexa RnQ
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I'm just so sick of smoke by then that I have less than zero desire for any of it. But, that's just me.
And me.

Its not just you...by the time turns ins are over, I'm dieing for a Salad or Fruit!! (but usually settle for beer)
California tradition: GC buys the cheesiest pizza they can find!

DocStl
07-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Both correct statements.

If you are not vending to the public, HD usually doesnt get involved.
CBJ's are invite guests, not public, this is a private entity. Like uncle Joe cooking a family reunion.

Skip
07-20-2009, 10:36 AM

I think that the food safety requirements of the competitors is the reason for that. The expectation of the HD MAY be that if you are feeding the public that the quantity of food will be to great to be protected by the rules governing the comp meats.

rweller
07-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Judges and volunteers working the event are usualluy the only ones that get to taste the competitors turnins.

motoeric
07-20-2009, 03:28 PM

I believe that as a judge you are no longer considered a part of the public and are a participant at a private event and therefor are not subject to the authority of the Health Department.

Eric