PDA

View Full Version : American Royal

heinz57
07-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Did all the returning teams get registered this week. Today is the last day to get your old spot reserved. Anyone else notice the price increase? They raised the price on my spot 300 bucks. Jolene said she has taken alot of heat for the price increase. She also said they were trying to work something out with the KCFD about their extortion fee. It seems that the Royal is the only BBQ that they are concerned enough about public safety to charge for their so called fire permits. Surely it couldn't have anything to do with having a captive audience to extort. "Pay up or we'll shut you down"

Enough of my whining. I still look forward to the Royal every year, and this year is no different. Only 2 1/2 months to go. I can hardly wait. Lookin' to bring up my rib score a little this year! (and pork a whole bunch!!!)

Jeff_in_KC
07-17-2009, 10:49 PM
The Royal and their jacked up prices, along with their buddies at the fire department can kiss my a**.

Sticks-n-chicks
07-18-2009, 05:39 AM
so what are the extortion fees this year?

heinz57
07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
I have not seen the permit fees yet. Last year it cost me 135 bucks. I like jeff's take. It's just that after 15 years I'm not ready to give it up yet.

Scottie
07-20-2009, 12:23 PM
The Royal and their jacked up prices, along with their buddies at the fire department can kiss my a**.

Man Jeff, sounds like you want to join my team... :icon_smil

Jorge
07-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Man Jeff, sounds like you want to join my team... :icon_smil

I've got some duct tape for those thumbs:twisted:

tonto1117
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Pretty steep cost for sure, but the way I'm looking at it is....who knows, might not be invited to this dance again and want to experience it. Plus, hoping to put some faces to names and meet and see some folks I might not otherwise have an opportunity too.

Jeff_in_KC
07-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Pretty steep cost for sure, but the way I'm looking at it is....who knows, might not be invited to this dance again and want to experience it. Plus, hoping to put some faces to names and meet and see some folks I might not otherwise have an opportunity too.

We'd go for an invitation like last year. We didn't get one this year (nmo more comps before the deadline). I'm just not paying the kind of money they want for the open anymore. Too pricey for my liking.

Scottie
07-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I've got some duct tape for those thumbs:twisted:

That's funny.

HoDeDo
07-21-2009, 07:53 AM
Some of the largest sites actually went down in price...
In stead of having the price per sq. ft. increase exponentially with size, they moved to a "one price" per sq. ft. model this year....

Don't remember what size I figured the break even at in Jan. but our spot went down in price.

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 08:06 AM
I have one point to make in regards to the Royal... if our contest and all the other 30 to 80 or so team contests raised prices every year like the Royal does, we wouldn't have contests very long. Maybe the Royal would prefer that it's full of corporate parties and huge name teams with big money sponsors and leave the rest of us out. Maybe that's what they are trying to tell us with price increases. I'm not saying we didn't enjoy ourselves there last year, being in the invitational and all but if it was not for splitting costs with Lee and our sponsor money, no way would I have been able to afford it.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Needless to say, we don't care for the price increase either but it's a simple rule of supply and demand. I noticed the prize money per category was also boosted a little bit.

musicmanryann
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Needless to say, we don't care for the price increase either but it's a simple rule of supply and demand. I noticed the prize money per category was also boosted a little bit.

Evidently Kingsford is throwing some extra money in the prize pot as well. For teams that use Kingsford Competition Briquettes that are purchased at the Royal, they have an opportunity to double or even triple their prize money. I thought that was pretty sweet, especially since we are already using the stuff.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 09:22 AM
We will be that weekend ... or at least partially.

moocow
07-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Are you assuming you are going to see some prize money?:wink:

BBQ_Mayor
07-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Evidently Kingsford is throwing some extra money in the prize pot as well. For teams that use Kingsford Competition Briquettes that are purchased at the Royal, they have an opportunity to double or even triple their prize money. I thought that was pretty sweet, especially since we are already using the stuff.

We already use it too. I didn't like that fact that you have to buy it there though. :mad:. I get mine in bulk at a better price.
But a chance to double the winnings is nice.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Are you assuming you are going to see some prize money?:wink:

Heck no, that would be a sure way to set oneself up for disappointment. A top 50 in any category is exceptional. That said, we'll be trying our hardest to hear Boondoggle at some point.

BBQchef33
07-21-2009, 11:08 AM
We dont have an invite yet, But i signed my team up for the invitational.

not sure.. but since were not in the invitational, I think i heard voices tell me theres a possibility of a Brethren bash taking place in spot 928. :)

musicmanryann
07-21-2009, 11:15 AM

not sure.. but since were not in the invitational, I think i heard voices tell me theres a possibility of a Brethren bash taking place in spot 928. :)

SWEET!!!!! I am looking forward to meeting you there Phil!

Jorge
07-21-2009, 11:22 AM

:eek:Just turn into pumpkins at midnight:razz::mrgreen:

heinz57
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Some of the largest sites actually went down in price...
In stead of having the price per sq. ft. increase exponentially with size, they moved to a "one price" per sq. ft. model this year....

Don't remember what size I figured the break even at in Jan. but our spot went down in price.

The price for my spot increased $180. They "rounded" up the spot sizes. So they incresed my spot by 80 square foot & thus increased the price. I better drop this conversation, the more I think about it, the more angry I get! Steve

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 12:37 PM

Supply and demand? Have you not counted the number of BBQ contests being sanctioned in 2009 with a lot better odds at winning money? I could enter about three to four of those events for what it would take to play at the Royal for three days.

drbbq
07-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Why beat up on them in a place where they'll never hear you? Therapy I guess but I figure I'll either send in the $900 if i think it's worth it (and I do) or I'll not send it in and do something else that weekend.

Jorge
07-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Supply and demand? Have you not counted the number of BBQ contests being sanctioned in 2009 with a lot better odds at winning money? I could enter about three to four of those events for what it would take to play at the Royal for three days.

I'm willing to bet you will be shaving thighs somewhere on the grounds that weekend.......

Jorge
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Why beat up on them in a place where they'll never hear you? Therapy I guess but I figure I'll either send in the $900 if i think it's worth it (and I do) or I'll not send it in and do something else that weekend.

That does explain the avatar:-P:mrgreen:

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 12:47 PM

I don't need for them to hear me, Ray. It wouldn't do any good in the first place. For my "BBQ buck bang", the Royal makes no sense (unless I get a huge sponsor to pay for it all) but just a hunch here - your BBQ budget is slightly different than what mine is! :lol::wink:

drbbq
07-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah but I went when it wasn't because I understood the value.

BTW, nobody gave me a farking thing.

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm willing to bet you will be shaving thighs somewhere on the grounds that weekend.......

Are you calling me a chicken whore? :mad: :lol:

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 12:57 PM

I'm simply referring the the number of teams that this event can draw from. Like the Lenexa BBQ Battle, every Tom, Dick and Harry come out from their patio to set up camp. Not implying that it's bad or good - but it is what it is.

Sure it puts a huge dent into the BBQ account, but I'm excited about it. Don and I are doing some vending at a decent size event next weekend and profits should pay for a huge chuck of the Royal weekend.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Are you calling me a chicken whore? :mad: :lol:

What's your rate?

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah but I went when it wasn't because I understood the value.

BTW, nobody gave me a farking thing.

As did I once about four or five years ago. I suppose I missed the value in it myself, which each person has to determine on their own. No one gave me anything then either... except letting me use a trailer for free to pull my stuff down there. I'm probably also somewhat influenced in my thinking on this because I'm the guy who speaks up when quiet hours aren't enforced at a 30 team contest. :lol:

Scottie
07-21-2009, 01:03 PM

Trust me... They hear.... But they also don't care. They will get new cooks, as that is what I was told...

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
What's your rate?

I guess I'd take my best offer if I'm gonna ho it up anyway! LOL! :lol: Might want to see how I finish out the upcoming comps in my thigh shaving abilities.

Scottie
07-21-2009, 01:05 PM
What's your rate?

You guys are chicken machines!!! I saw it last week...

Jorge
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
trust me... They hear.... But they also don't care. They will get new cooks, as that is what i was told...

8-)8-)8-)

Scottie
07-21-2009, 01:17 PM
That's good Jorge... I can even laugh at that one...

I learned to type with duct tape on my thumbs though.... :icon_shy

I do want folks to know that I think nothing but the best of the Royal... My bad experience were the 2 folks that run the thing. Personally, I think it might be ranked in my top 5 contests that I have gone too... My experiences after the contests is what has soured me...

BBQ_Mayor
07-21-2009, 01:59 PM
This is our first year going and I'm exicited about it. Considering other comps will cost $200 to enter, that extra cash to do one of the biggest, if not the biggest, contest in the country is worth it in my opinion.

Jorge
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
This is our first year going and I'm exicited about it. Considering other comps will cost $200 to enter, that extra cash to do one of the biggest, if not the biggest, contest in the country is worth it in my opinion.

It's a special contest. The Jack is probably the most exclusive, and that contributes to what makes it so special without question. At the Royal your entry is free if you've qualified and you get to compete with the 100 or so cooks that choose to show up. The following day you get to do it again with most of those cooks, and another 300 or so cooks that want a shot at the prize. It doesn't get better than that, in my mind, if you are a competitor. Nobody is excluded, and everybody has a chance. That's special!

2 1/2 months away, and I'm already getting excited.

monty3777
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
If I had the money to go to the Royal I would. Sure it's a lot of jack, but part of the trip for a rookie like me would be the opportunity to connect with such a wide variety of cookers. Where else can you go to find so many great teams in one place? I'm already "out" money everytime I compete because I'm not in the position yet (skill wise) to win my money back. But I go because the event itself and the atmosphere is worth the money. I see the excitement of something like the Royal increasing in multiples - I suppose it makes since that the entry fees do as well.

musicmanryann
07-21-2009, 02:18 PM
It's a special contest. The Jack is probably the most exclusive, and that contributes to what makes it so special without question. At the Royal your entry is free if you've qualified and you get to compete with the 100 or so cooks that choose to show up. The following day you get to do it again with most of those cooks, and another 300 or so cooks that want a shot at the prize. It doesn't get better than that, in my mind, if you are a competitor. Nobody is excluded, and everybody has a chance. That's special!

2 1/2 months away, and I'm already getting excited.

Yeah the way I explain it to my family and friends who don't live in this world is that the Royal is the World Series of BBQ, while the Jack is the Superbowl of BBQ.

We can't wait! :-P:-P:-P

moocow
07-21-2009, 02:25 PM
This will be are first time at the royal as a team. The price going up sucks but we did not pay it last year so it dose not hurt so bad. We were there with KC Bobby and Don ( thanks again guys) and we had a blast. Its not that much money for 4 days of hanging out and getting to meet/talk to all of you guys. We can't wait! If you don't want to pay the money I hope you all atleast come down.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 04:25 PM
2009 map
http://www.arbbq.com/images/map.pdf

Just got a phone call from one of the workers. He couldn't get us into Lot B ... but he could get us into Lot C ... which is right beside turn ins!

Paola Greg
07-21-2009, 04:42 PM
2009 map
http://www.arbbq.com/images/map.pdf

Just got a phone call from one of the workers. He couldn't get us into Lot B ... but he could get us into Lot C ... which is right beside turn ins!

That will be a good place to be that close to judging. And, you'll get to watch all the pretty girls going to, and from, the parties on the dark side. :wink:

We'll be back at B-739 where we've been several years in a row.

smoke-n-my-i's
07-21-2009, 05:16 PM

I will be there with the other team that I help out.... so, better watch out....

We have the invite, and since this is the first time, we are doing the invitational as well. So, a long weekend of cooking for us....

See ya all there.

We need to make a list of who is going to be there so we don't miss anybody....

HoDeDo
07-21-2009, 06:12 PM
We are moving out of the Darkside... Going from a 40x125 spot to a 40x75.
We too are going to be in Lot C, Bobby. there were a couple H spots in the B Lot that I believe were going to open up this year, but I think C will be better for us... And being right across from turn-in can't hurt. :)

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 06:45 PM
Cool. I think C has its pros and cons

Pro's - away from the masses of people, close to turn ins, easy to get to either Lots A or B, protection from winds from the west, very short walk to real restrooms

Con's - away from the masses of people, close to train tracks

Smokin' Joe
07-21-2009, 07:02 PM
We are doing both contests and asked for Lot B...haven't heard anything back from them after I submitted the application. Anyone know when we will know which spot we got?

First year for us and we are really looking forward to it. This is the first I had heard of the Fire Dept fees, they must tell you that after they have your first $500-$900?

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 07:13 PM
The fire dept permits are only for tents larger then 10x20 - its intended for the larger parties.

Buster Dog BBQ
07-21-2009, 07:23 PM
If I had the money to go to the Royal I would. Sure it's a lot of jack, but part of the trip for a rookie like me would be the opportunity to connect with such a wide variety of cookers. Where else can you go to find so many great teams in one place? I'm already "out" money everytime I compete because I'm not in the position yet (skill wise) to win my money back. But I go because the event itself and the atmosphere is worth the money. I see the excitement of something like the Royal increasing in multiples - I suppose it makes since that the entry fees do as well.
Monty, you should go down on Friday and just take it in and see what it's like and meet people. I did that last year and had a pretty good time.

musicmanryann
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I was going to say the same thing. Monty, you are more than welcome at Big T'z camp anytime that weekend!

Monty, you should go down on Friday and just take it in and see what it's like and meet people. I did that last year and had a pretty good time.

Ulcer Acres
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
In my opinion I believe that the American Royal is what competition BBQ is all about. Those folks do a great job of putting on a contest that is known world wide like Memphis in May. I dont care if its the open or the invatational if you win it it means something. It means something just to be there and not just get lucky to get your name drawn out of a hat. I agree with Dr. BBQ on this one. Just kind of like the Cabellas deal. As long as people keep dog cussing them one of these days it will go away. Then set at home and complain to each other on internet. It is the Superbowl and World Series not a goat roping or pig burning.

KC_Bobby
07-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Well said Rev, see ya there.

But to me, it's even more. This event is Kansas City. It could be argued that it's the most celebrated annual event in my hometown. People of all backgrounds come down and join in on some fun.

I compare it to the USGA Open of golf as it's open to anyone who wants to play along, where the Jack Daniels is the Masters.

drbbq
07-21-2009, 08:47 PM
I think I saw a goat get roped there once.

Plowboy
07-21-2009, 08:55 PM
I think I saw a goat get roped there once.

That was no goat!

Plowboy
07-21-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm simply referring the the number of teams that this event can draw from. Like the Lenexa BBQ Battle, every Tom, Dick and Harry come out from their patio to set up camp. Not implying that it's bad or good - but it is what it is.

Sure it puts a huge dent into the BBQ account, but I'm excited about it. Don and I are doing some vending at a decent size event next weekend and profits should pay for a huge chuck of the Royal weekend.

I like your attitude, Bobby. :eusa_clap Bravo.

Paola Greg
07-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Magical things happen at the Royal. Our first year there in 2005, we had cooked like a total of 12 contests during our first year. Notta a clue yet on what it takes to do well, very little experience. So we go to the open awards happy we got all 4 turned in. They get to the brisket calls and we are anxious to just get it over and to leave and find out how we may have finished overall the next day.
Then, this announcer says, "and the Second Best Brisket In The World, Ribs 4 U !"" So, Eric's wife tried to get his attention and mine, said Hey, that's you guys! We were stunned is the only way I can put it. Unbelievable, we went down and stood in front of that huge crowd, and got our prize. A moment that will never be forgotten.
So friends, that is what the Royal can be like, if you're lucky and cook decent, heavy on the LUCK!,,,,,,:icon_wink

Plowboy
07-21-2009, 09:18 PM
For six years, we avoided the AMR. Why? Because we were crazy!!! We always said, "We'll go when they invite us." Well, that didn't happen, and we missed out on one of the greatest experiences in BBQ. It is larger than life.

Jeff_in_KC
07-21-2009, 09:19 PM
That's a great story, Greg! 2005 was also our first year except we STARTED with the Royal. The contest itself and what it is, I do not have a problem with. While there, I've almost always enjoyed myself... not so much the crap on the dark side in '05 (wasn't prepared for what I saw and experienced!). I cooked with the Meatheads in 2007 and got 12th in chicken. That was special to get to go down there with everyone and my daughter went with me to get our ribbon. I'm not sure I've seen Wayne so pumped as when we got the call! Last year, we cooked the invitational and while we didn't do so well there, we took 24th overall in the open, a damned good accomplishment! We've also met many folks there we'd never get to meet otherwise at comps. Maybe what hacks me off is that the people who RUN the Royal are pricing me out of the opportunity to have those kinds of experiences.... to get great calls and meet friends.

drbbq
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
There's a 20'x25' spot for $225.

ique
07-22-2009, 07:29 AM
We'll be back in 876 for the Invite and Open.

Very expensive weekend, I agree. But if I was only to do 1 contest a year, it would be the Royal. No other contest has such a diverse set of top teams from all over the country. Its like the Masters and US Open all in the same weekend. I also love two contests back to back... nothing like working for quick redemption when you screw something up in the first contest.

The new and improved award ceremony of the past few years is one of the best. I'm not usually sentimental about such things but when sitting in the rodeo with all the cooks during the national anthem it makes me think, damn I'm glad to be an American.

Great parties, and unlike the other "Majors" the Royal has good judging... mostly CBJ. Love the Jack too but gotta tell you the judging can be tough.

I think Randy nailed it above, the Royal is what Comp BBQ is all about

HoDeDo
07-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Yea, I have to agree with Greg... amazing things can happen.
We cooked a party for 500, then managed the commute from our spot in the point at the darkside to the Plowboys site for the invitational cook (12 minute walk, huffin' in).
Getting that pork call was unreal... getting cheered on by all your friends... up there on that stage... it is surreal.

But to then pull the RGC out for the open, well... I am man enough to admit I cried like a little girl. To be able to look to the left and see Jeff, Stac, and crew hollarin.... then look right and hear a "damnit andy".... look down and see Chris and Greg with cameras... All my best friends in the world out there - and some of the best people in the world, it was all too much. It is magic. Nothin like the Royal out there... Where else am I going to get a congrats from Buffalo, iQue, ISS, Twin Oaks, 4Men, Plowboy, BBQ Brethren, Scotty D, Parrothead, Boondoggle, etc. all in the same place??? It is BBQ Nirvana. And to have Kim and the Girls up there with me... well, I'd selfishly take that over just about any other moment I can think of in BBQ.

musicmanryann
07-22-2009, 08:15 AM
We cooked a party for 500, then managed the commute from our spot in the point at the darkside to the Plowboys site for the invitational cook (12 minute walk, huffin' in).
Getting that pork call was unreal... getting cheered on by all your friends... up there on that stage... it is surreal.

But to then pull the RGC out for the open, well... I am man enough to admit I cried like a little girl. To be able to look to the left and see Jeff, Stac, and crew hollarin.... then look right and hear a "damnit andy".... look down and see Chris and Greg with cameras... All my best friends in the world out there - and some of the best people in the world, it was all too much. It is magic. Nothin like the Royal out there... Where else am I going to get a congrats from Buffalo, iQue, ISS, Twin Oaks, 4Men, Plowboy, BBQ Brethren, Scotty D, Parrothead, Boondoggle, etc. all in the same place??? It is BBQ Nirvana. And to have Kim and the Girls up there with me... well, I'd selfishly take that over just about any other moment I can think of in BBQ.

Andy--I'm man enough to admit I got a little choked up hearing that story. Sounds like an amazing experience! Hope to meet you there.

~Ryan

BBQ_Mayor
07-22-2009, 08:42 AM
For six years, we avoided the AMR. Why? Because we were crazy!!! We always said, "We'll go when they invite us." Well, that didn't happen, and we missed out on one of the greatest experiences in BBQ. It is larger than life.

Same here Todd. Been at it for 7 years and never made the trip. Always said, "We would go we we get invited" of coarse that would mean winning one. That hasn't happened so this year it's the open for us. Can't wait.

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
Hell yes, I'm still on cloud 9 with our pink ribbon. All I remember is walking around in a daze up there high-fiving Clone, Spurgeon, Plowboy and some others before finding our number for us to stand on.

Then hanging around after the awards trading congrats with others and snaggin' the number 5 that the 5th place winner was to stand on. Got it up on the wall with the other ribbons and awards.

Jeff_in_KC
07-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Then hanging around after the awards trading congrats with others and snaggin' the number 5 that the 5th place winner was to stand on. Got it up on the wall with the other ribbons and awards.

That got me to thinking, Bob... wonder where the 5th place finisher in brisket stood? :lol:

musicmanryann
07-22-2009, 08:51 AM
Man--all this talk is getting me really pumped up! Wish it was late September already! ;-)

drbbq
07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
I've got a few trophies around the house but the only one that has always had a place in the living room is an American Royal Trophy. 3rd overall in 1998. Handed to me by Gary Wells. Yes I am a BBQ Dinosaur.

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 08:57 AM
That got me to thinking, Bob... wonder where the 5th place finisher in brisket stood? :lol:

On the number ... I got it after the awards. I saw another brethren (will withhold name to protect the guilty) grab his number and hell yes, I followed suit.

BTW, Jeff - that was a great pic you took of us, it's my background at work. Thanks!

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 09:20 AM

Better winning your Bull Dildo in Great Bend?

Oh, and you are barely man enough... crying like a little girl. :roll: You're no Plowboy!!!

Sticks-n-chicks
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
We pulled the trigger last night and sent in our entry, what spots are people in? Do you guys go down on Thursday night and set up?

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 09:23 AM
We pulled the trigger last night and sent in our entry, what spots are people in? Do you guys go down on Thursday night and set up?

We drop trailers on Wednesday.

Captain Caveman
07-22-2009, 09:33 AM

hey.....wait a minute. we had 5th place chicken.:icon_pissed

Oh well, maybe you can bring it to the AR this year se we can visit it. Since it IS part ours.:biggrin:

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I plan on dropping on Wednesday too. Then going to work for part of the day on Thursday and heading down til they send me home on Sunday.

For those first timers, you should get your space assignments about early/mid-September. I only know mine is because I requested a change and they could not give me the lot I requested, but did offer me another space that I took.

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 09:59 AM
hey.....wait a minute. we had 5th place chicken.:icon_pissed

Oh well, maybe you can bring it to the AR this year se we can visit it. Since it IS part ours.:biggrin:

Ya snooze, ya lose. :mrgreen: I'll try to remember to bring it.

Captain Caveman
07-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Ya snooze, ya lose. :mrgreen:
I guess so.:biggrin:

Jorge
07-22-2009, 10:17 AM
We drop trailers on Wednesday.

I'll stop and ice down some Shiner in Wichita on my way in this year. Last year could have turned into a party. Scotty D bought another cooker in the parking lot that night. Andy and Todd played with Legos....

BBQchef33
07-22-2009, 10:18 AM
This picture is what is bringing me back to The Royal.

When we arrived and finally set up the trailer... we stepped back and looked at the setup.

My trailer traveled 1300 miles from NY, my team came in car and plane, and now here we sit in a parking lot, and directly over us was the American Royal Insignia. At that moment, I looked at the banner on the ez-up...

In 2004, we coined a phrase, "From the Backyard to the American Royal."

In 2008 we made it there. Mr Kick came over and pointed out the 4 year journey and at one point, while talking will Bill Arnold(who was setup opposite us) Bill looked over at the Brethren camp at the boatload of people hanging out and said 'Look at where you are.". Yes, when you make it to the royal, you have a feeling of accomplishment, but to be surrounded by so many friends and have the aura of kemper arena behind us was somewhat overwhelming. It was a culmination of years of dedication, drama, work and sweat. From then on, i thought that even if I never get another walk, i arrived at least once. Now, I'm going back, even if its just to sit in a lawn chair and turn in burnt chicken.

Scottie
07-22-2009, 10:27 AM
Was Steph trying to give Phil a reach around? :icon_shy

Great picture...

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Was Steph trying to give Phil a reach around? :icon_shy

Great picture...

Was Jeff auditioning for Gay Pron?

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll stop and ice down some Shiner in Wichita on my way in this year. Last year could have turned into a party. Scotty D bought another cooker in the parking lot that night. Andy and Todd played with Legos....

I'll have a prime rib roast aged and resting in the cooler for Phil so he doesn't get his panties in a bunch this year.

tonto1117
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Too Funny!! Is it my imagination, or does MuzzleBrake have 3 legs??:-P

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey! I know all them dudes!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29146&stc=1&d=1248275613

BBQ_Mayor
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know many of them. :cry: You should tag them for those of us that don't know.

smknwhlswife
07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry we missed this pic!

Jeff_in_KC
07-22-2009, 12:37 PM

Can always count on Todd for this kinda remark! LOL! :lol: Actually, I was running late getting there and kinda dove in last second.

BBQchef33
07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Too Funny!! Is it my imagination, or does MuzzleBrake have 3 legs??:-P

yeah, he does, but I hear one of thems REAL short, you cant see it from a distance

or even up close.

Jorge
07-22-2009, 12:54 PM
yeah, he does, but I hear one of thems REAL short, you cant see it from a distance

or even up close.

The fact that you seem to have experienced both perspectives and given it this much thought is disturbing.

BBQchef33
07-22-2009, 12:58 PM
The fact that you seem to have experienced both perspectives and given it this much thought is disturbing.

nope.. as i said in my post.. I HEARD the rumor..

ask his sleeping buddy in the tighty whities.

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know many of them. :cry: You should tag them for those of us that don't know.

I would, but their names were changed to protect the innocent.

Jorge
07-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I would, but their names were changed to protect the innocent.

I know most of those folks....I've seen their pictures in my local Post Office....

Dustaway
07-22-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll give a twenty to the first one that can spot me.

KC_Bobby
07-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Directly to Pickled Paul's left.

EarlyBird
07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
I also agree with Greg and Andy. The ROYAL is magical. When we first started competing we were not going to do the ROYAL.We were going to wait until we were invited. We were going to go down and party with are friends. Then after the ROYAL closed the entries, my neighbor that works at Sprint asked me to cook with him at the Sprint Campus Cookoff. We won it and the prize was an entry to the ROYAL open and a HUGE spot down on the dark side. I had never been to the ROYAL and I had a great time. We cooked. I thought everything was good. Went to awards. Drank ALOT of beer. By the time they start to call brisket my wife and I had to go to the bathroom. She wanted to go and said "we never do good in brisket" but I said I could wait. I didn't want to miss any of my friends getting a call. When they called our name for 11th place I just about fell out of my chair. I was in shock. Didn't have to pee anymore. To get a ribbon at the ROYAL was just a dream. I didn't think it would happen our first time. Then comes the BIG shocker. After the awards I was wearing my ribbon and several people came by and said "congrats on your 5th" I said "No we got 11th in brisket" They said "You got 5th overall" I did not believe them. I went up front and found a rep with a result sheet and sure enough we were 5th overall at our first ROYAL. It was MAGICAL. On the way back to our trailer I invited the whole parking lot for margaritas on us. WE WERE 5th IN THE WORLD !! Haven't missed a ROYAL since.

Plowboy
07-22-2009, 08:15 PM
I also agree with Greg and Andy. The ROYAL is magical. When we first started competing we were not going to do the ROYAL.We were going to wait until we were invited. We were going to go down and party with are friends. Then after the ROYAL closed the entries, my neighbor that works at Sprint asked me to cook with him at the Sprint Campus Cookoff. We won it and the prize was an entry to the ROYAL open and a HUGE spot down on the dark side. I had never been to the ROYAL and I had a great time. We cooked. I thought everything was good. Went to awards. Drank ALOT of beer. By the time they start to call brisket my wife and I had to go to the bathroom. She wanted to go and said "we never do good in brisket" but I said I could wait. I didn't want to miss any of my friends getting a call. When they called our name for 11th place I just about fell out of my chair. I was in shock. Didn't have to pee anymore. To get a ribbon at the ROYAL was just a dream. I didn't think it would happen our first time. Then comes the BIG shocker. After the awards I was wearing my ribbon and several people came by and said "congrats on your 5th" I said "No we got 11th in brisket" They said "You got 5th overall" I did not believe them. I went up front and found a rep with a result sheet and sure enough we were 5th overall at our first ROYAL. It was MAGICAL. On the way back to our trailer I invited the whole parking lot for margaritas on us. WE WERE 5th IN THE WORLD !! Haven't missed a ROYAL since.

Is that when you rode the bicycle drunk? :mrgreen:

Sledneck
07-22-2009, 08:44 PM
When do they send out the info for the invitational?

Muzzlebrake
07-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Was Steph trying to give Phil a reach around?

trying...........ummmm no, not trying :eek:

Burt Reynolds pose........

Muzzlebrake
07-22-2009, 10:08 PM
does MuzzleBrake have 3 legs??:-P

nah I'm an Irishman
:eek:

Neal
07-22-2009, 10:33 PM
There's a 20'x25' spot for $225.

This is the size we get every year. One year we entered and competed for less than $500. I think we could do it again if we wanted to.

I agree with everyone's opinions on the magic of the event. We are still waiting for that moment in the open. A couple calls in the invtl...but the open has been pretty elusive for us.

Plowboy
07-23-2009, 08:06 AM
After experiencing it these last two years, I can't imagine NOT being there. If I stayed home, my wife and kids would probably move to a hotel for the weekend. No one would want to be around me... which is normal, I guess.

EarlyBird
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Is that when you rode the bicycle drunk? :mrgreen:

Yep :lol:. Crashed, but did not spill my beer :razz:

KC_Bobby
07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Chris, sounds like a good time. Were you wearing your helmet? Did you get any action pictures?

Jeff_in_KC
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Crashed, but did not spill my beer

You, sir, have MY vote for KCBS BOD! :-D That's an oft overlooked talent that I personally feel is very important!

Plowboy
07-23-2009, 02:06 PM
You, sir, have MY vote for KCBS BOD! :-D That's an oft overlooked talent that I personally feel is very important!

Hear, hear!

HoDeDo
07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Cockadoodle-kcbsque! Early for BOD??? is that a new rumor started??

Coz
07-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Hope to get out there again but dont see it happening this year.Had a great time meeting every one last year.

Sticks-n-chicks
07-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Scary what may happen in this place....

Plowboy
07-23-2009, 11:39 PM

All meetings come to order with the cry of "AHA TORO!".

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Works for me.

The Pickled Pig
07-24-2009, 08:34 AM

It seems like a good idea to me. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

EarlyBird
07-24-2009, 08:54 AM
all meetings come to order with the cry of "aha toro!".

ole !

Jeff_in_KC
07-24-2009, 09:06 AM
It's about time the regular ol' cooks take back over the BOD anyway. Chris is a great start!

Muzzlebrake
07-24-2009, 09:07 AM
thank you Gabby Johnson! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U)