PDA

View Full Version : Type of chicken for turn in...

indianagriller
07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
I have been practicing for my first competition and just had a question about what type of chicken piece to use. Am i able to use any part of the chicken i want? ie: thighs, legs, wings, or is there a standard i need to use?

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
You may turn in any part you like as long as there are at LEAST 6 distinct pieces.

Uncle Bud

Smokin Mike
07-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm pretty sure most teams use thighs to cook, I have heard of teams using other parts and win, but I'm going to stick with thighs, seen too many teams win using them.

you might want to do a search on chicken in this sub-forum. there is alot of discussion, I personally hate chicken.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Mike is correct. As a matter of fact I had 20 thighs on the cooker last night practicing something different.

I'm injecting them with twenty dollar bills cause nothing else was worked for us! :roll:

HandsomeSwede
07-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I posed the same question to a similar forum before my first KCBS along with a poll of who used what. Thighs and quarters with the thigh and leg attached received about the sae amount of votes as frontrunners. However, I have yet to see anyone use the quarters, I have seen only thighs in competition.

The Turk
07-16-2009, 10:52 AM
After socring our teams first "Dead ass Last" in chicken a couple of weeks ago I found that actually cooking it to over 150 degrees helped, damn lying thermopen! We also found that comment cards were all over the board, one said Bloody and Raw and the other said Raw and Bloody, lets get consistant judges lol.

michiana mark
07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
After socring our teams first "Dead ass Last" in chicken a couple of weeks ago I found that actually cooking it to over 150 degrees helped, damn lying thermopen! We also found that comment cards were all over the board, one said Bloody and Raw and the other said Raw and Bloody, lets get consistant judges lol.

Always a tough crowd in the Judges tent. Doesn't set a very happy mood for the rest of the judging, if you get non appetizing chicken first:icon_blush:
Congrats on your DAL, and hopefully you will never place there again.

Now back to the thread. Most teams use thighs as stated previously, but if you can cook a killer leg or breast, go for it. Wings are acceptable also. A little change is good some time. Do what you are comfortable with. But one piece of advice I can give you is, whatever you cook give the judge one area to get one good bite. Had a thigh that was not deboned, part of backbone still in place, and had a difficult time getting a good bite.

PatioDaddio
07-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I turned in cornish game hens (four breasts and four leg quarters) at my last comp about a month ago. They went over very well (7th of 28), given that I winged it without practicing.

Give it a shot.

John

TN_BBQ
07-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I ain't giving away my secrets. :-P

Go with thighs.

Skinny Cook
07-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Mike is correct. As a matter of fact I had 20 thighs on the cooker last night practicing something different.

I'm injecting them with twenty dollar bills cause nothing else was worked for us! :roll:

LMAO !

Good one Uncle Bud. :lol:

We use thighs. Tried the Peg Leg from the wing but they were hard to keep from over cooking.

juicybuttsbbq
07-17-2009, 09:39 PM
We're going Gizzards next time,, Perry Bros told me that's a sure Fire Winner,,hehehe

CajunSmoker
07-18-2009, 06:21 AM
KCBS lets you use whatever part of the chicken you like. Other sanctioning bodies (IBCA in particular) requires you to cook either one or two half chickens turned in still jointed. Check the rules for your comp.

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-18-2009, 06:41 AM
the chicken heart challenge

who will be the first to enter this in competition? :biggrin:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/chicken/braziliannight-018.jpg

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-18-2009, 07:39 AM
would this be legal at a KCBS comp?

chicken piccata

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/chicken/chickenpiccata-037.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/chicken/chickenpiccata-078.jpg

Double D's BBQ
07-18-2009, 08:56 AM
That does look good....................but something tells me you're begging for trouble with that entry!:-D

Rick's Tropical Delight
07-18-2009, 09:07 AM
That does look good....................but something tells me you're begging for trouble with that entry!:-D

yep, i wouldn't do it, but... is that deep frying? i call it "shallow" frying or saute'ing.

Cliff H.
07-18-2009, 09:18 AM
I would be tempted to turn in breast. How do you turn in breast ? 6 won't fit. Can you turn in two large ones that have been scored into quarters ?

Double D's BBQ
07-18-2009, 09:22 AM
You can turn in one breast and cut in 6 slices. Or two breasts cut in three. Just need six identifiable servings.

Cliff H.
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
You can turn in one breast and cut in 6 slices. Or two breasts cut in three. Just need six identifiable servings.

Left on the bone ?

Double D's BBQ
07-18-2009, 09:24 AM
yep, i wouldn't do it, but... is that deep frying? i call it "shallow" frying or saute'ing.

I wouldn't call it deep frying but I would call it pan frying in oil which will get you DQ'd but I'd sure love to have a serving or 5 of that after the BBQ comp!

Double D's BBQ
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Left on the bone ?

Bone is not required. If I was turning in breasts it would be de-boned. Both white and dark meat are required in the box at Jack Daniels and that's what many teams do in order to get everthing to fit in the box.

Cliff H.
07-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Last question.

If I DID turn in breast and DID leave on the bone and score into quarters, would there be anything leaglly wrong with that ?

Double D's BBQ
07-18-2009, 09:44 AM
No, but I wouldn't do it, leave the breast bone on that is.

Alexa RnQ
07-18-2009, 10:39 AM
Last question.

If I DID turn in breast and DID leave on the bone and score into quarters, would there be anything leaglly wrong with that ?
For KCBS I would say you're going to have a problem with that, if four scored pieces are all attached to one bone.

The rule states, "15) Each contestant must submit at least six (6)
separated and identifiable (visible) portions of meat in a
container." [bold mine]

If the pieces are attached to the bone, they are not separated. A judge has to be able to pick up an individual piece freely.

Compare it to the well-established example of a rib entry where six ribs are presented, but two are not-quite-detached. The judge may not pull, dangle, shake or cut -- if the second piece comes along with what he's got hold of, that de facto becomes one portion and another judge is shorted.

udoughguy
07-18-2009, 11:48 AM
I judge several events each summer. Almost always teams use the thigh. Only twice at two different events did they turn in breasts. One was boneless and one was with bone. I think breast meat would difficult to have just right at turn time.

Uncle Buds BBQ
07-19-2009, 08:34 AM
When we compete at the local comp we invite family and friends to come out on Friday night and we feed them. Well last year we had a big crowd and cooked up a mess of ribs and chicken for everyone.

So Sat. morning I start looking for my thighs and guess what...we had cooked them ALL the night before! Only thing left is a half of chicken...what was I to do but throw him in the cooker. Now I'm pissed...and this has ruined my entire mood...not to mention I was a little hung over.

30 mins. before turn in I pull the half out (we smoked it low...not grilled) and it looked beautiful golden brown and DRY as the Sahara desert! Carved out the breast, made six slices and threw it in the box...knowing we would score dead last.

Got the scores and couldn't believe it! It was in the upper third out of 40+ teams. 100% certified judges! So...what's the moral of the story.

I have no clue.

Uncle Bud

Double D's BBQ
07-19-2009, 08:47 AM
I think the moral of the story Uncle Bud is at BBQ contests is to expect the unexpected and any entry is better than a non-entry. You can go crazy trying to figure the logic of results at BBQ contests. Good story and thanks for sharing.

Podge
07-19-2009, 09:01 AM
would this be legal at a KCBS comp?

chicken piccata

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/chicken/chickenpiccata-037.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/RicksTropicalDelight/biggreenegg/chicken/chickenpiccata-078.jpg

Damn that looks good !

Coz
07-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Lookin at Ricks chicken pic made me think of yesterday.We were at the UP Hog Wild contest.At the cooks meeting the rep stressed knowing your garnish , whats legal ,whats not.After turn ins the rumor was that a team put lemon slices in the box.Also had 1 team 29 seconds late on a turn in and a team only put 5 ribs in the box.

TN_BBQ
07-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Last question.

Cut them into separate pieces. Don't SCORE them.

Judges won't pull out a knife to cut a piece off. They will reach into the box and grab a piece. If the entire hunk of meat comes out, then there is no more meat for the other judges.

The issue with chicken breast is that it contains very little fat and might dry out (and/or taste bland). Most folks go with thighs, but certainly not everybody.