PDA

View Full Version : Breast Meat on Ribs

musicmanryann
07-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Does anyone turn-in ribs that contain breast meat on them, or do you trim it off prior to cooking? I personally like the meatiness of a rib that has this muscle on it, but am wondering the appropriateness of doing this for competitions.

Likewise, does anyone have a preference on the end of the ribs they like for competitions? I find the longer and straighter bones are on the breast end, but the smaller, curvier bones may have less meat on them and be more tender (?) Does anyone turn-in only left-handed ribs? (jking slightly)

Thanks for your input! ~Ryan

Bbq Bubba
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Breast meat?
Breasts consist of fat....

Do you mean back ribs with the loin still attached?

Never mind....lol
Ya, trim it off for competition.

Finney
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I trim to St Louis style.

bodcat
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
What ya'll do with the scraps after you trim to St. Louis cut? Do you trash it, cook it,...?

Plowboy
07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Ryan,

I trim my baby backs down and take out of the center of the rack.

Finney
07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
What ya'll do with the scraps after you trim to St. Louis cut? Do you trash it, cook it,...?

Freeze them and cook later when I want rib meat. Or I want to try a new rub/sauce combo.

blues_n_cues
07-14-2009, 12:44 AM
Breast meat?
Breasts consist of fat....

Do you mean back ribs with the loin still attached?

Never mind....lol
Ya, trim it off for competition.
beans & tacos- advertising,breakfast, & samples....
but i never knew ribs had tits..:twisted:

Arlin_MacRae
07-14-2009, 08:22 AM

I cook them right along with the ribs and make riblets out of them. They're good in beans, too. You just need to take out the little pieces of cartilage.

Ford
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
I do see a lot more of that on spares now. For competition I certainly trim them and even catering and vending. Why - because there is a significant layer of fat under it that doesn't all cook off and I don't want to serve that.

Bones for turn-in - start at bone end and start with bone 3. Sometimes I do 4 and 4 and use 2 slabs. Sometimes I just turn in 6 and use just one slab.