PDA

View Full Version : Looking for feedback on a new idea for the Disc Wok

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I am looking at making a prototype for an idea I have. This would be a rack put in place of your grilling grate on a weber kettle (of any size) to hold your disc wok over the coals. It would be centered and open around to allow for proper air flow.

The design would allow for any disc wok with a rounded bottom to sit inside of the ring.

What say you brethren with discs?

MilitantSquatter
07-12-2009, 05:33 PM
tom (tjv) sells a similar set up for the Big Green Egg at ceramicgrillstore.com called the Spider..

Not sure how many people cook with woks on Webers but it certainly could work or maybe start a new craze !!

spacingtool
07-12-2009, 06:34 PM
good ideal but will it get hot enough?

Smokin Turkey
07-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I think so.. I was reading another thread on here from Mike and he said his charcoal actually got too hot.. I'm thinking if I space it up, and you can control the temps through the bottom vents, should be a winner. I designed the thing tonight. Now its on to building and testing!

Smokin Turkey
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I havent totally abandoned this idea, just set it in the "I'll get back to it eventually" pile.

Skip
09-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Is this for the discata, or plow disk?

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Is this for the discata, or plow disk?
Arent these the same things?

Skip
09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Yes. I was using plow disk to explain the word discata. Sorry was supposed to clarify yet created confusion.

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes. I was using plow disk to explain the word discata. Sorry was supposed to clarify yet created confusion.

No problem.. I am sorry to have forgotten your pro-series lower grate in new holland. Then to boot, I didnt get to hang out with you but for a minute when you were setting up. I guess we will have to wait until Sayville!

Skip
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I really want that bottom grid. The one I have is FUBAR lol

Hey I want to try this discata cooking. Do you make or retro fit the plow disk?

Smokin Turkey
09-09-2009, 10:46 PM
i can. I am working on finding a better supply than the first one I got. the first was junk steel outta india.

Skip
09-10-2009, 07:40 AM
A few issues you may need to address. If the weber is open too long it will get too hot. Can you create a way to raise the disk up and down in relation to heat. Also is there a way to incorporate some sort of "cover" under the disk to reduce the amount of air flow to the coals?

Smokin Turkey
09-10-2009, 11:34 AM
My design is sort of simple. I will let you know when I get a prototype to test. i dont want it to get too hot or not hot enough.. I may have to make he rack and disc as a set so I make sure it fits the same on all the 22.5" kettles.

Professor Salt
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Discadas come in two shapes: one has a concave cooking surface, like a wok. The other style is convex, for cooking tortillas. Would be nice if you can accomodate both types with one ring.

Smokin Turkey
09-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Im putting this one back on the back burner. I have some other projects to get finished. I will either get this back on track on a weekend (if I ever get a free one) or over the winter if it slows down.

BBQ Grail
09-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Now if you had a 22.5 inch version of one of these that fit my weber I'd probably want one.

http://www.gonomad.com/transports/0804/baja-images/griddle.jpg