PDA

View Full Version : Contest Announcment Holy Smokes Bandfest and BBQ, Long Island, NY - Aug 28 & 29, 2009

motoeric
07-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Holy Smokes Bandfest and BBQ

Aug 28th - Arrival
Aug 29th - Contest

Held on the grounds of Sts. Cyril and Methodius Church on Deer Park Avenue, Deer Park, NY.

State Championship pending.

Ribs, Pork, Brisket

Charity event for local food pantries. Run by Girl Scouts. Low, low entry.

http://members.webs.com/MembersB/EditPage/index.jsp?token=39cdd34de200ad4f1226c18182c&pageID=127977325

Turn the volume down on your computer. Music on every page of website.

I will be assisting with the event. Feel free to pm or email me with questions and I will do my best to get answers for you.

Your support would mean a lot to the girls running the event. It's for a great cause and your investment (time and $) would be considerably less than most events.

I will try to have a definite announcement about the proclamation Monday.

SmokeInDaEye
07-11-2009, 07:16 PM
No chicken?

Sounds fun but I know many of the local teams will be in New Holland, PA that weekend. Any way to do it in September?

motoeric
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
No chicken and the date is set in stone.
I realize that it conflicts with New Holland, but thems the breaks.

It will certainly be nice to have another NY State Championship that is close by.

Eric

MilitantSquatter
07-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey eric - .. I noticed that originality is a criteria, not appearance...

I like it !!! Did you come up with that one ? pretty cool.

motoeric
07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Vinny - No, I wasn't involved with deciding criteria. I'm offering advice when asked, but this is being run by High School Girl Scouts.

Eric

deez20
07-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Hmm am I the only one being asked for a username and password when I click on the link?

Skip
07-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Nope I got the same deal

Sawdustguy
07-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Eric,

Could have them fix their website so we are not asked for a password we do not have. Thanks buddy.

motoeric
07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
I'll put in a phone call to them now, but I wouldn't expect a response until tomorrow at the earliest.

I'll ask them to email me the forms and until they get the site fixed I'll email them to anyone interested. I'll post when I have them.

Eric

**EDIT**

I just went to the site and didn't have a problem. I have no idea what is causing the difficulties. I'm using Firefox, maybe it's a problem in IE? Either way, I let them know.

If you go here:
http://rockhunger.webs.com/barbecuesignup.htm

and click on the links it should take you to another page with just text that I guess you need to cut and paste into Word so you can fill it out and mail it in. I'm going to post the text here to make life easier for everyone:

Official Entry Form

Holy Smokes Barbecue Competition

Team Name: __________________________________________________ _
Head Cook: __________________________________________________ __
Address: __________________________________________________ _____
City: ________________________State: _______________Zip: _________
Phone: ______________________ Email: ___________________________
Number of Team Members: __________________________________

Entry Fees (circle each):

BBQ Contest: $ 75.00 plus a case of nonperishable food to be brought to the event for a 20x20 space
Premium Site Fee 20x30 (limited number of sites) $ 50
Total Amount Enclosed $_____________

Form 2

Waiver of Liability: Holy Smokes 2009

In consideration of accepting this entry, (I), the undersigned, intending to be legally bound, hereby for myself, heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release all rights and claims for damages I may have against the Holy Smokes competition, Girl Scouts of Suffolk County, Saints Cyril And Methodius church, their representatives, successors, and assignees, forany and all injuries suffered by me and my team in this event. Further, I hereby grant full permission to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, recordings and any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose.

By signing this waiver I acknowledge that I have read and agree to abide by the competition rules of Holy Smokes!

___________________________________ ____________________________
Signature Date

The mailing instructions state (I'm not too sure about the cash thing):

Please print out the following two forms, fill them out and send them with your entrance fee (IN CASH OR BY MONEY ORDER) to Rock Hunger Barbecue Moderator, 116 Kime Ave, North Babylon, NY 11703.

Westexbbq
07-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Eric, this helps a lot.

Cue's Your Daddy
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
**At this time we are unable to provide our competitors with water or electricity. we apologize for the inconvenience.

Hey Eric, I just read this in the rules. I understand the electric part but how do we get water to fill and refill the washing stations.

motoeric
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
I believe that the section about water was a mistake. I will verify that today or tomorrow.

I said that I would follow up about the proclamation today. I will have definitive word next Monday, but it seems like there will not be a problem. Again, this isn't written in stone, but I had an extensive conversation with the people at the Proclamation Office.

Eric

motoeric
07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
PRIZES

There will be continual updates on prizes, but it looks like they will be starting with a personalized 6' banner for Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion.

More on the way.

deez20
07-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Any word yet about the water situation?

motoeric
07-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I believe that they have a meeting with the Church Deacon on Monday. I will try to post Monday evening. If I hear anything before that, I'll let everyone know.

Eric

motoeric
07-20-2009, 01:19 PM
As promised, here is an update:

1) Water WILL be available. As is normal, competitors need to bring a hose and a 'Y' connector.

2) According to the Proclamation Office, there WILL be a Governors Proclamation for the event.

Again, this event is being held to raise foodstuffs for those in need. It's a great cause and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to get you some answers.

Eric

Cue's Your Daddy
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Anyone signing up for this? want to do this, just wonder who else will.

Westexbbq
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
There is talk amongst those "Touch of Grey" dudes I think.

(I pmd Eric the other day re details...)

motoeric
08-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I replied to Wes' pm. I've been out of town for a few days, sorry for the delay.

Please let me know if you have any questions or you can email the organizers directly at:

rock.hunger@live.net

Eric

MrsBigBarry
08-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Anyone signing up for this? want to do this, just wonder who else will.

Greg will likely be working. I may be out of state, but won't know for another week or so. If I'm here I'll probably go by but don't know if I'm ready to set up, cook and break down alone. However if you guys compete and need an extra set of hands I'd be glad to help you out.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I may do this one.

Sledneck
08-03-2009, 04:56 PM
I may do this one.
I thought you were coming to new holland to help me?:confused:

Jacked UP BBQ
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought you were coming to new holland to help me?:confused:

I would love to, never been there.

early mornin' smokin'
08-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Early mornin smokin is thinking about this, price is right!
couple questions
1.) taste, tenderness, originality?
2.) minimum number of teams for it to be a state championship

BBQPETE
08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Working on a team Babylongrillbillies could be their

Sledneck
08-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Early mornin smokin is thinking about this, price is right!
couple questions
1.) taste, tenderness, originality?
2.) minimum number of teams for it to be a state championship
A first year event needs 15 teams to be a state championship
Not 100% on this but I think without a chicken category it would not count towards any of the invitationals

pigmaker23
08-04-2009, 06:21 AM
this contest is great for new teams and backyarders who never have done a contest. its a great chance to do a comp under real time conditions and the cash outlay is low. while it may be a "state championship" by proclamation, it is not a KCBS or NEBS event and will not count for points or entry into the Royal or Jack. So if you are looking to venture into the world of competition bbq, this is a good place to start.

A first year event needs 15 teams to be a state championship
Not 100% on this but I think without a chicken category it would not count towards any of the invitationals

Jacked UP BBQ
08-04-2009, 08:01 AM
I learned a while ago that does not need a governing body to be a qualifier

ique
08-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I learned a while ago that does not need a governing body to be a qualifier

Nope but, the Jack and the ARI say that a qualifying contest must include chicken, pork and beef.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-04-2009, 09:24 AM
AHHHH ha - so this contest is pointless

early mornin' smokin'
08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
^^^^I know its a first time effort, but come on, how hard would it be to add chicken, and make it official, i know all the local brethren would come out for this, even if all the money goes to charity.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-04-2009, 09:37 AM
I need a little incentive to drive from NJ. No money, not a qualifier, and no strippers! Whats the point??

Westexbbq
08-04-2009, 10:08 AM
I have a feelin that if it was not the same weekend as New Holland that a lot of other local area teams would be considering this event, chicken or no chicken, proclamation or no proclamation.

It is a Charity event for our local Food Pantries and being organized by some of the local Girl Scouts of America.

That's what it's all about as best I can tell.

Jacked UP BBQ
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I agree that it is a great LOCAL event.

motoeric
08-04-2009, 11:46 AM
I brought your concerns about chicken up to the organizers. I would suggest that you do so as well.

rock.hunger@live.com

If I remember right, it says something on the site about there not being any additional fees for added on categories, so maybe they can add chicken.

I'll post when I hear back.

Eric

pigmaker23
08-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Unfortunately, the lead time required to register this contest as a KCBS event has long passed. New contests must apply a minimum of 90 days prior to the event date. Like I indicated before, this is a great contest for teams that want to have a good time in relaxed enviroment. Just because its not four catagories does not make it any less fun

^^^^I know its a first time effort, but come on, how hard would it be to add chicken, and make it official, i know all the local brethren would come out for this, even if all the money goes to charity.

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Eric - If they add chicken, get a proclamation and get the required 15 teams - isn't that what is required to make it "official" for a potential qualifier (assuming all other criteria is met) ?

SmokeInDaEye
08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Eric - If they add chicken, get a proclamation and get the required 15 teams - isn't that what is required to make it "official" for a potential qualifier (assuming all other criteria is met) ?

Seriously????

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
Seriously????

That's what I thought, but I'm not close enough to know what other criteria must be met...if any.

motoeric
08-04-2009, 08:15 PM
That's what I thought, but I'm not close enough to know what other criteria must be met...if any.

To be honest, I don't know. I'll try to find out.

They have the proclamation. I'm pretty sure about needing a minimum of 15 teams.

I'll find out about adding chicken.

Eric

EDIT

I did some quick research and this is what it says on the American Royal website:

Qualifying Contests Include:
·Contests with a “qualifying state championship.” A state championship is a contest with a state proclamation signed by the Governor with at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
·Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.
·A state with only one contest must have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered but does not require a “state championship” proclamation.
To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

It didn't specify the categories, so maybe chicken isn't required.

Can't find any info on the Jack. I'll keep checking.

SmokeInDaEye
08-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Good luck all. Hope you figure out how to squeeze another qualifier out.

motoeric
08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Good luck all. Hope you figure out how to squeeze another qualifier out.

Thanks for the support! It's appreciated as always!!

HoDeDo
08-04-2009, 08:49 PM
having a sanctioning committee is not a requirement, for what it is worth, here are the basic req's.

From the Jack Daniels Website:
To compete at "The Jack," domestic teams must have in the past year won a state championship with 25 teams or a competition of 50 teams, or have won an event considered an automatic to the event like the American Royal, Memphis in May or Houston World Championship Bar-B-Que.

And since it mentions events that are auto for the royal...
Qualifying Contests Include:

·Contests with a “qualifying state championship.” A state championship is a contest with a state proclamation signed by the Governor with at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.

·Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.

·A state with only one contest must have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered but does not require a “state championship” proclamation.

To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

Automatic Entries Go To:

*Grand Champion of previous year’s American Royal Open Contest

*Grand Champions of previous five (5) year’s American Royal/KC Masterpiece Invitational Contest

*Grand Champion of previous year’s Annual Jack Daniel’s World Championship Invitational Barbecue

*Grand Champion of current year’s Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Contest

Sledneck
08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Andy, are you flying out to cook this contest?:tongue: :biggrin:

SmokeInDaEye
08-04-2009, 09:09 PM
If every state churned out proclamations the way NY does, we'd have 700 plus teams invitationals each year. But whatever the rules letcha do.

MilitantSquatter
08-04-2009, 09:40 PM
new thread started here regarding qualifications..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66399

will scrub this one...

snarky
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Hello, my name is Ashton and I am the Holy Smokes! organizer.
I would like to thank all of you for taking such an interest in the event.
This thread has been brought to my attention, and I just wanted to make a few things clear.

As the organizer, I have only two priorities:
1. To raise revenues and donations for food pantries and soup kitchens throughout Long Island
2. To hold the highest quality event for all competitors possible and to make all involved in the competition satisfied with its dedication and evident love for bbq. That essentially means that if the majority of competitors request a (for example) chicken category, of course, I will add one. In fact, on our website I made it clear that we were planning on adding other optional categories at no extra charge, like a chef's choice.

As always, I value your input.
You can contact me at Rock.Hunger@live.com or for more info go to our website, www.rockhunger.webs.com (http://www.rockhunger.webs.com/)

Thank You,
Ashton

BBQchef33
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
If every state churned out proclamations the way NY does, we'd have 700 plus teams invitationals each year. But whatever the rules letcha do.

This is starting to sound like ditch the lettuce and ban the pellet cookers. chits getting old.

REAL OLD.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Hey Ashton,

First you guys are doing a great thing. Next, what kind of food is most needed in regards to the non perishable products. Vegetables,etc,

Thx

Sledneck
08-05-2009, 08:53 PM
This is starting to sound like ditch the lettuce and ban the pellet cookers. chits getting old.

REAL OLD.I think almost everybody has ditched the lettuce, we are living in a parsley world:twisted:

SmokeInDaEye
08-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Hey Ashton,

First you guys are doing a great thing. Next, what kind of food is most needed in regards to the non perishable products. Vegetables,etc,

Thx

Definitely true. Don't take any offense to my comments, Ashton. They are directed at a broader issue being addressed elsewhere and have nothing to do with the great cause you all are supporting.

I unfortunately can't participate or attend but is there a way teams can make donations online or someplace we can send non-perishables?

snarky
08-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey Ashton,

Thx

Well, in general, Long Island food pantries need things like
pasta
juices
**breakfast cereal
baby diapers

but the most important and most welcomed foods are proteins like
**peanut butter
tuna in water
canned stews
canned meats

-Ashton

snarky
08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
is there a way teams can make donations online or someplace we can send non-perishables?

Feeding America (previously known as America's Second Harvest) is a great national organization.
At the bottom right of their home page, there is a food pantry locater for anywhere in the country:
http://feedingamerica.org/
If you would like to donate to the organization as a whole, you can go to:
https://secure2.convio.net/a2h/site/Donation2?idb=2066349677&df_id=1560&1560.donation=form1&JServSessionIdr001=7ldudbjl02.app13a

Something more local for Long Islanders would be Long Island Cares, inc.
For more info about them you can go to:
http://www.licares.org/
Or donate to them directly at:
https://www.networkforgood.org/donation/ExpressDonation.aspx?ORGID2=112524512&vlrStratCode=kMNv4Nf6HQupBWILvMtJEtVn6T3FF7065lQlq rlfmeqnlnbfvKubx69NKJVwDve7

I'm sure that whomever you support, it will be in the right hands and greatly appreciated by those who need it.
-Ashton

motoeric
08-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi,

I'd like to remind everyone that judges are also needed for the event.

If interested, go to the site for details.

motoeric
08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
The organizers are adding a chicken category to the contest. Just a heads up.

Eric

BBQPETE
08-17-2009, 07:24 PM
how many teams do you have

motoeric
08-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't know how many teams they have, but you can feel free to write them at rock.hunger@live.com

Hope to see you there.

Eric

nancee
08-18-2009, 06:37 PM
I don't beleive that they responded to my question at least Eric
nancee

motoeric
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I don't beleive that they responded to my question at least Eric
nancee

Ok, write them again and cc me and I'll try to find out what the deal is for you.

s a b e r i n c @ v e r i z o n . n e t

Eric

CMALANGA
08-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Hope to see you all there I'll be judging.

nancee
08-21-2009, 08:21 PM
I heard back from them Eric. I think we will cook this one; its so close. They would love to get a few more teams.
nancee

Ok, write them again and cc me and I'll try to find out what the deal is for you.

s a b e r i n c @ v e r i z o n . n e t

Eric

BBQPETE
08-21-2009, 10:31 PM
how many teams it is hard to turn down overtime this time of year

Westexbbq
08-22-2009, 09:28 AM
The team known as Touch of Gray is re-forming for this worthwhile event.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-23-2009, 05:17 PM
So any responseon how many teams are going to be cooking this. So far i know of 2.

Westexbbq
08-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Sounds like youse guys, us guys and dem guys so far.
Hope there's more.
Wish we heard more from the organizer(s).

MAsQue
08-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Sounds like youse guys, us guys and dem guys so far.
Hope there's more.
Wish we heard more from the organizer(s).

I sent an email to Ashton requesting an update. I'll post here if I hear anything.

motoeric
08-24-2009, 05:50 PM
So any responseon how many teams are going to be cooking this. So far i know of 2.

Hey Paul. You coming down? I'd like to see a Pitts and Spits in action.

See you there.

Eric

PS If you send any questions to the organizers and don't get a response, cc me and I'll see what I can do.

rbsnwngs
08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I need a team for this event please help

nancee
08-24-2009, 06:26 PM
do you need a team to cook with or people to cook with your team?
Nancee

I need a team for this event please help

rbsnwngs
08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
i had to cancel New Holland so i was hoping to be able to cook this event. I dont mind going it alone but if i could pick up a drinking partner that would be great

Sledneck
08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
i had to cancel New Holland so i was hoping to be able to cook this event. I dont mind going it alone but if i could pick up a drinking partner that would be great
You canceled New Holland??

Westexbbq
08-24-2009, 07:11 PM

Great, hope you make it.
You can do it.
See post # 20.
Where's Fred?

rbsnwngs
08-25-2009, 06:12 AM
had no way of getting to new holland on time with only one car and me being in CT till late afternoon we were not going to make check-in or meat inspection.
Fred will be away this weekend with his family and Chris had to work. Fred and i were going to do it until we found out i will be in CT

Jacked UP BBQ
08-25-2009, 07:05 AM
Get me your spot for NEW HOLLAND!!!!

rbsnwngs
08-25-2009, 07:27 AM
Get me your spot for NEW HOLLAND!!!!

to late already cancelled

nancee
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
you can drink with us
we are leaving white plains at 4; God help us...
nancee

Westexbbq
08-25-2009, 01:05 PM

Got any of my Harpoon left to bring with you?:grin:

MAsQue
08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Brian,

Unfortunately, we only have three confirmed competitors, but I have received interest from others, not only on the bbq forums but from other local competitors. I am looking at about ten by the actual event.
Also, the schedule is posted on the website

Ashton

MilitantSquatter
08-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Brian,

Unfortunately, we only have three confirmed competitors, but I have received interest from others, not only on the bbq forums but from other local competitors. I am looking at about ten by the actual event.
Also, the schedule is posted on the website

Ashton

Unfortunately... not a good sign

Westexbbq
08-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Sigh.

SmokeInDaEye
08-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Good luck all! wish we could have come but them the breaks. No chicken and the date is set in stone.
I realize that it conflicts with New Holland, but thems the breaks.

It will certainly be nice to have another NY State Championship that is close by.

Eric

nancee
08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
you will have to drink with us I guess. The fat kid is in Los Vegas.
nancee

rbsnwngs
08-27-2009, 07:43 AM
I just shot off a e-mail to Ashton asking if i can still sign up for the event. anyone know more

Skip
08-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I wish we could get ANY LIFO brethren with a weber kettle to show up and make this event legit. They have a good cause and it would be a shame if it didn't return next year due to a poor turn out this year.

Any of you backyarder LIFO's willing to have a fun time with other LIFO brethren? You could all go see Ray at Vitale's too. Maybe win an egg as a door prize.

EDIT: By legit I mean get the necessary teams

nancee
08-27-2009, 08:21 AM
We are still in. It would be nice to get six teams or whatever is legitimate. I fell badly that the teams asren't coming out as it is a great casuse.

I just shot off a e-mail to Ashton asking if i can still sign up for the event. anyone know more

rbsnwngs
08-27-2009, 08:36 AM
i just remembered all my stuff is in Freds truck and he is in VA
I would need tables if anyone can spare one or two

HELP ME 631-678-1726

Westexbbq
08-27-2009, 08:46 AM

HELP ME 631-678-1726

I'm working it.
Will try and borrow a couple from a neighbor.
Will let you know later.

SmokeInDaEye
08-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Good luck everyone and be safe. Looks like that tropic storm will be passing over you all Saturday evening with winds of about 75mph so strap down those canopies.

http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews

rbsnwngs
08-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Good luck everyone and be safe. Looks like that tropic storm will be passing over you all Saturday evening with winds of about 75mph so strap down those canopies.

http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=eastusnews

ha ha I dont have one LOL

rbsnwngs
08-27-2009, 09:25 AM
just got 2 tables so looks like im in

timzcardz
08-27-2009, 09:26 AM
I just got off of the phone with Will, and he is now good on tables.

edit: Damn, for a guy with short stubby fingers Will sure can type fast!

snarky
08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
We are in the process right now of coming up with the safest way to deal with the weather.

If we are able to move the whole thing inside (other than the Qers), that would free up the use of tents that would then be offered to the barbecuers to borrow.
Another option is to reschedule, which might bring more success to Holy Smokes! since a contributing factor in this year's lack of participation is a conflicting date. If we do reschedule, then it might be in a different location, in Patchogue (about 30 miles away) so that we can get the best date possible.
Nothing is solid yet, and we are still trying to get in touch with the right people.

Thank You for your support,
Ashton

early mornin' smokin'
08-27-2009, 12:07 PM
wow, id do it if it's rescheduled!!! Couldnt pull it off this weekend, i know a few local brethren wont be around this weekend, could be interesting.

snarky
08-27-2009, 12:18 PM
That sounds great.

And whatever happens, for sure, we will not cancel anything unless we have no other choice. We've put too much work into this so far to give up because of the weather.

Ashton

Skip
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
You would pull a bunch of teams if it rescheduled. Why not try for Sept 11-13 if you have to reschedule. Nothing important happening that weekend.

Cue's Your Daddy
08-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Please dont do sept 11-13. I cant do that weekend.

snarky
08-27-2009, 02:11 PM
We now know we do not have permission to use the buildings at our venue for anything other than judging, so right now our options are:
*to prepare for and hope for the best with the weather,
*to move to a different location with a permanent outdoor shelter
*or to reschedule for a day with better weather, our goal date being next weekend. We won't know the next time the venue is available until tomorrow morning.

We are working hard to figure it all out as soon as possible
Ashton

Lakeside Smoker
08-27-2009, 02:44 PM
You would pull a bunch of teams if it rescheduled. Why not try for Sept 11-13 if you have to reschedule. Nothing important happening that weekend.

Norwalk is that weekend...

Westexbbq
08-27-2009, 02:53 PM
The weather prediction should/would be more accurate tomorrow morning.
The public turnout with inclement weather is under consideration I'm sure as well.

nancee
08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Will
if we bring the trailer; we will have plenty of everything for everyone!!!

HELP ME 631-678-1726

nancee
08-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Uh,
Mike...I am quite sure that Skip knows that!!!
He yanked your chain...

Norwalk is that weekend...

rbsnwngs
08-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I will be in CT all day tomorrow so if someone could call or text me and update me on the event that woul;d be great 631-678-1726

Westexbbq
08-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I will be in CT all day tomorrow so if someone could call or text me and update me on the event that woul;d be great 631-678-1726

Done.
We will be sure to keep you in the loop, Will B.

snarky
08-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Hey guys

Out of concern for safety because of the weather, the competition will have to be postponed until a later date, to be announced ASAP (preferably tomorrow).
All those who have already sent in their application, of course a space will be reserved for you at the rescheduled event. If the new date conflicts with any previous engagements that you may have, your money will be refunded.

I would like to extend an invitation to all Brethren members to come to Rock Hunger, for a Brethren Bash. All are welcome to come and cook overnight or to come out on Saturday, and spend time with fellow brethren.
At the entrance, just say that you are one of the brethren and you will be welcomed in, Rock Hunger entrance fee waived.
If you're interested in a spot please let me know here or by email and I'll have one reserved.

I hope to see you all there, and thank you for your support and interest
Ashton

P.S. I believe Willie is looking for a drinking buddy if anybody is interested . . .

nancee
08-27-2009, 07:47 PM
we were really looking forward to cooking this and seeing some old friends. If the weather isn't too bad perhaps we will take a ride; truck is always loaded
Otherwise hope to see everyone in Norwalk the weekend after Labor Day
Nancee

Hey guys

Out of concern for safety because of the weather, the competition will have to be postponed until a later date, to be announced ASAP (preferably tomorrow).
All those who have already sent in their application, of course a space will be reserved for you at the rescheduled event. If the new date conflicts with any previous engagements that you may have, your money will be refunded.

I would like to extend an invitation to all Brethren members to come to Rock Hunger, for a Brethren Bash. All are welcome to come and cook overnight or to come out on Saturday, and spend time with fellow brethren.
At the entrance, just say that you are one of the brethren and you will be welcomed in, Rock Hunger entrance fee waived.
If you're interested in a spot please let me know here or by email and I'll have one reserved.

I hope to see you all there, and thank you for your support and interest
Ashton

P.S. I believe Willie is looking for a drinking buddy if anybody is interested . . .

motoeric
08-27-2009, 09:05 PM
Please come down and hang out!

We can cook up some good food, share some libations and chew the fat (literally and figuratively).

If I can get to the store, I'll make some ABT's and Armadillo Eggs.

Just post here so we can coordinate when people will be there. I'm available Friday and/or Saturday.

Eric

CTSmokehouse
08-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Wow...you travel to CT....stop by and say Hi!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

motoeric
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
Although I can be down there earlier, I plan on arriving tomorrow around 10:00 am.

If anyone wants to hang out tonight, lmk.

Eric

snarky
08-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Its supposed to pour all day tomorrow with wind up to 60 mph, so we have no other choice but to reschedule the whole event.
As soon as we have a new date, I'll post it. hopefully it will be before next year but at this point we just aren't sure.
Ashton

Westexbbq
08-28-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all your efforts Ashton.
I know you all put in a lot of time and effort on the entire event.
It is too bad Mother Nature did not cooperate this time around but we will look forward to the reschedule details when available.
Regards,
Wes

p.s. I called Will and one of my other friends who is in one of the bands, fyi.

snarky
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Thank you so much, Wes for offering so much of your support and encouragement.

Ashton

timzcardz
08-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Looking forward to the new date. Hopefully it is one that we can make. It would be nice to do another one so nearby.

WannaBeBBQueen
08-31-2009, 12:36 PM
any updates?

motoeric
08-31-2009, 01:01 PM
any updates?

They were meeting with the Deacon and the Nun who does scheduling today to try to find an alternate date. I'm hoping that they will have a suitable date to announce by Monday.

I'm sure that Ashton will post when they have a new date and I'll keep on top of it.

Eric

early mornin' smokin'
09-02-2009, 12:10 PM
still waiting for updates, this would be a great practice cook for the battle of the bbq brethren!!!

Skip
09-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Or to replace some of the contests we've decided not to do. We had two ro three more on the list but we're sick of the driving now.

early mornin' smokin'
09-03-2009, 11:39 AM
bump

snarky
09-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, sorry about the delay.
Right now we are looking at Columbus Day weekend, October Friday the 9th and Saturday 10th with a rain date of Sunday the 11th into Monday the 12th.
I would really appreciate some feedback about who would be interested and able to participate on that date, because we may still be able to alter it at this point.
Thank you for your patience,
Ashton

Sledneck
09-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Right now we are looking at Columbus Day weekend, October Friday the 9th and Saturday 10th with a rain date of Sunday the 11th into Monday the 12th.
I would really appreciate some feedback about who would be interested and able to participate on that date, because we may still be able to alter it at this point.
Ashtonwhy not sat/sun?

Westexbbq
09-08-2009, 09:09 PM
why not sat/sun?

I'm figuring possible conflict with church traffic on Sunday a.m..
dos centavos.

Sledneck
09-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm figuring possible conflict with church traffic on Sunday a.m..
dos centavos.
They could always come and listen to the good reverend willie do his sermon

rbsnwngs
09-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Praise be the BBQ

can i get a BARMEN

Skip
09-09-2009, 07:44 AM
Barmen!!!!!!!!!!

early mornin' smokin'
09-09-2009, 07:49 AM
B A R M E N!!! i'm with sled, could this possibly be a sat/sunday event.

Westexbbq
09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Blasphemous Heathens!!

Oh,
and
by
the
way,

BARMEN!!!
Y'all.

Skip
09-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Make it a Gods Choice. We'll BBQ unleaven bread and serve it with wine. Or we could do a Jesus Iron Chef. The organizers bring a few fish and a couple of loaves of bread and we try to feed the whole congregation. lol

Westexbbq
09-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Ashton

Hi Ashton/Snarky et al,
Any more word, is it a go for 10/9-10/10?

Westexbbq
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Bomp.

snarky
09-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Unfortunately, one of our sponsors has pulled out, and we will not be able to hold Holy Smokes this year. We would love to be able to do this next year, and we will hope for better circumstances.
I apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your support,
Ashton

Westexbbq
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the update Ashton.
See y'all next year.

MAsQue
09-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Blasphemous Heathens!!

Oh, and by the way, BARMEN!!! Y'all.

Perhaps to back up Rev. Willie, we can get Organ Leroy, at his organ again:

"Oh blinding light!