PDA

View Full Version : Harpoon Competition

bonedaddy
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
I am trying to get some advice on vending at the Harpoon Brewery competition. Do you bring additional equipment to smoke the food for vending vs. competition? Any advice on how much food to prepare? I have been competing for years, but I have not participated in vending to the public yet.

Balls Casten
07-08-2009, 04:43 AM
Visit the cooking for the masses threads.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62
They will get you headed in the right direction.

ique
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
I am trying to get some advice on vending at the Harpoon Brewery competition. Do you bring additional equipment to smoke the food for vending vs. competition? Any advice on how much food to prepare? I have been competing for years, but I have not participated in vending to the public yet.

For your first time vending try and keep it very simple. Vend your leftover comp BBQ and maybe add in a few extra pork butts and a few extra racks of ribs cooked in advance. You'll need chafers to keep the meat hot during service.

Also, a three bay setup for dishwashing and a separate area for hand washing.

Bastey Boy
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
If possible, have a seperate crew for vending and another crew for competing. Or, do what we do...don't bother with Sunday's grilling contest and concentrate on vending.

ique
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
If possible, have a seperate crew for vending and another crew for competing. Or, do what we do...don't bother with Sunday's grilling contest and concentrate on vending.

Sunday can definitely be a good day to vend... less competition... most teams vend Saturday only.